Still at it. - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Still at it. - Mandrake ; http://groups.google.co.in/group/alt...31d09fcfd1ba83 http://groups.google.co.in/group/alt...a795336f4a35ab Well thanks to people of the group I have progressed significantly in the above project. I have I think a minor problem to solve. Once my system boots and autologin's to X it opens a terminal. From there ...

  1. Still at it.

    http://groups.google.co.in/group/alt...31d09fcfd1ba83

    http://groups.google.co.in/group/alt...a795336f4a35ab

    Well thanks to people of the group I have progressed significantly in
    the above project.
    I have I think a minor problem to solve.
    Once my system boots and autologin's to X it opens a terminal. From
    there if I run ./filename (my executable) I get a window in the form of
    multiple rectangles. I have to click with my mouse button for the
    application to appear. I would like to know why this happens and how I
    can avoid it. Also I need to know how to autostart my application after
    the autologin into X.
    Thanks in advance
    Ashraf

  2. Re: Still at it.

    On Thursday 16 November 2006 09:38, kmashraf@gmail.com stood up and
    addressed the masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > [...]
    >
    > Well thanks to people of the group I have progressed significantly in
    > the above project.
    > I have I think a minor problem to solve.
    > Once my system boots and autologin's to X it opens a terminal. From
    > there if I run ./filename (my executable) I get a window in the form of
    > multiple rectangles. I have to click with my mouse button for the
    > application to appear. I would like to know why this happens and how I
    > can avoid it.

    I presume you're using KDE. Open up the KDE Control Panel - not the Mandr*
    Control Center! - and find the section (on the left) labeled "Look & Feel",
    and from there you should look for the subsection "Window Behavior".

    You will there find several tabs. Check each of them for their settings,
    and under the tab "Moving", check whether "Window placement" is set to
    "smart" in the dropdown list.

    In KDE, it is possible to have the user pick where a newly opened
    application window will appear, or to have KDE decide where it will appear
    (so as to have the least degree of overlapping). Yours is set to the
    former, while the default and recommended option is the latter.

    > Also I need to know how to autostart my application after the autologin
    > into X.

    I would personally advise against /autologin,/ but of course it's your
    computer and you do with it as you please. When you shut down KDE, you can
    have it save the current session and restart that session next time you log
    in again. You also set this via the KDE Control Panel - i.e. section
    "Components", subsection "Session Manager".

    Another way is to make use of a symbolic link to your application from
    within the KDE /Autostart/ directory. The location of this directory may
    vary per KDE version - on my system, it's *~/.kde/Autostart* and in some
    KDE versions it could even be a hidden directory, i.e. the name starting
    with a period.

    If you're using Gnome or another desktop or window manager, you'll have to
    peruse its documentation yourself - I don't have any real experience with
    those. ;-)

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: Still at it.

    Aragorn wrote:
    > On Thursday 16 November 2006 09:38, kmashraf@gmail.com stood up and
    > addressed the masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    >
    > > [...]
    > >
    > > Well thanks to people of the group I have progressed significantly in
    > > the above project.
    > > I have I think a minor problem to solve.
    > > Once my system boots and autologin's to X it opens a terminal. From
    > > there if I run ./filename (my executable) I get a window in the form of
    > > multiple rectangles. I have to click with my mouse button for the
    > > application to appear. I would like to know why this happens and how I
    > > can avoid it.

    > I presume you're using KDE. Open up the KDE Control Panel - not the Mandr*
    > Control Center! - and find the section (on the left) labeled "Look & Feel",
    > and from there you should look for the subsection "Window Behavior".
    >
    > You will there find several tabs. Check each of them for their settings,
    > and under the tab "Moving", check whether "Window placement" is set to
    > "smart" in the dropdown list.
    >
    > In KDE, it is possible to have the user pick where a newly opened
    > application window will appear, or to have KDE decide where it will appear
    > (so as to have the least degree of overlapping). Yours is set to the
    > former, while the default and recommended option is the latter.
    >
    > > Also I need to know how to autostart my application after the autologin
    > > into X.

    > I would personally advise against /autologin,/ but of course it's your
    > computer and you do with it as you please. When you shut down KDE, you can
    > have it save the current session and restart that session next time you log
    > in again. You also set this via the KDE Control Panel - i.e. section
    > "Components", subsection "Session Manager".
    >
    > Another way is to make use of a symbolic link to your application from
    > within the KDE /Autostart/ directory. The location of this directory may
    > vary per KDE version - on my system, it's *~/.kde/Autostart* and in some
    > KDE versions it could even be a hidden directory, i.e. the name starting
    > with a period.
    >
    > If you're using Gnome or another desktop or window manager, you'll have to
    > peruse its documentation yourself - I don't have any real experience with
    > those. ;-)
    >
    > --
    > With kind regards,
    >
    > *Aragorn*
    > (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

    Thanks for your kind reply.
    I think I should have given more detail.
    This is the story.
    I am pulling forward a project (done about 3 years back) that involves
    the creation of a hands free Linux install CD.
    On booting off this CD a hands free install of a minimal Linux OS (only
    one CD worth) + customizations + application. After the install is
    complete and the machine reboots it winds up auto starting the above
    application. The user of the application only need interact with it
    through a mouse. Keyboard is not required.
    I am using Mandrake 10.2 or LE2005 as my base.
    Now I have got to the point where I have a rough install CD that does
    the job as above. I discovered subsequent to my first post that the
    window manager that I see is 'twm'. I think that is the reason
    > > for if I run ./filename (my executable) I get a window in the form of
    > > multiple rectangles (grid). If I move my mouse around the grid follows. I have to click with my mouse button for the
    > > application to appear.

    I also have to state that all the required dependencies for running the
    application are up to scratch as otherwise the application would not
    run.
    The only trouble is that I have to do a mouse click for the application
    to appear completely. It is displayed as a grid when I do ./filename.
    I also need the application to not have window decorations.
    Once I have solved this problem. Then I have to auto login into X
    windows and auto start the application.

  4. Re: Still at it.

    On Thursday 23 November 2006 18:57, kmashraf@gmail.com stood up and
    addressed the masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > Aragorn wrote:

    >> On Thursday 16 November 2006 09:38, kmashraf@gmail.com stood up and
    >> addressed the masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    >>
    >> > I have I think a minor problem to solve.
    >> > Once my system boots and autologin's to X it opens a terminal. From
    >> > there if I run ./filename (my executable) I get a window in the form of
    >> > multiple rectangles. I have to click with my mouse button for the
    >> > application to appear. I would like to know why this happens and how I
    >> > can avoid it.

    >> I presume you're using KDE. Open up the KDE Control Panel - not the
    >> Mandr* Control Center! - and find the section (on the left) labeled "Look
    >> & Feel", and from there you should look for the subsection "Window
    >> Behavior".
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> In KDE, it is possible to have the user pick where a newly opened
    >> application window will appear, or to have KDE decide where it will
    >> appear (so as to have the least degree of overlapping). Yours is set to
    >> the former, while the default and recommended option is the latter.
    >>
    >> > Also I need to know how to autostart my application after the autologin
    >> > into X.

    >> I would personally advise against /autologin,/ but of course it's your
    >> computer and you do with it as you please. When you shut down KDE, you
    >> can have it save the current session and restart that session next time
    >> you log in again. You also set this via the KDE Control Panel - i.e.
    >> section "Components", subsection "Session Manager".
    >>
    >> Another way is to make use of a symbolic link to your application from
    >> within the KDE /Autostart/ directory. The location of this directory may
    >> vary per KDE version - on my system, it's *~/.kde/Autostart* and in some
    >> KDE versions it could even be a hidden directory, i.e. the name starting
    >> with a period.

    > Thanks for your kind reply.
    > I think I should have given more detail.
    > This is the story.
    > I am pulling forward a project (done about 3 years back) that involves
    > the creation of a hands free Linux install CD.
    > On booting off this CD a hands free install of a minimal Linux OS (only
    > one CD worth) + customizations + application. After the install is
    > complete and the machine reboots it winds up auto starting the above
    > application. The user of the application only need interact with it
    > through a mouse. Keyboard is not required.
    > I am using Mandrake 10.2 or LE2005 as my base.
    > Now I have got to the point where I have a rough install CD that does
    > the job as above. I discovered subsequent to my first post that the
    > window manager that I see is 'twm'. I think that is the reason

    I'm not too experienced with /twm./ I've checked it out once many years ago
    when I did my first install, but I then decided to stick with KDE as I
    liked that one best. So I'm afraid you're going to have to look into
    the /twm/ documentation and configuration tools to find out how you can get
    a new window to appear directly, without the frame.

    Another option - but I don't know - whether /twm/ supports this is having
    your application run in the desktop window - i.e. as a kind of wallpaper -
    so that the desktop itself becomes "clickable" - /twm/ normally doesn't
    have any icons on the desktop.

    In order to do this, you're going to have to look into your X.org and window
    manager configuration, and read the manuals on how to configure your
    display manager to automatically start such a session.

    I can't help you with that as I'm not using a display manager myself; my
    system boots to runlevel 3 and I start X from the commandline. Also,
    Mandriva uses "branded" versions of the display managers that normally come
    with X.org, KDE and Gnome.

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: Still at it.

    Aragorn wrote:
> [...]

    > liked that one best. So I'm afraid you're going to have to look into
    > the /twm/ documentation and configuration tools to find out how you can get
    > a new window to appear directly, without the frame.
    >
    > Another option - but I don't know - whether /twm/ supports this is having
    > your application run in the desktop window - i.e. as a kind of wallpaper -
    > so that the desktop itself becomes "clickable" - /twm/ normally doesn't
    > have any icons on the desktop.
    >
    > In order to do this, you're going to have to look into your X.org and window
    > manager configuration, and read the manuals on how to configure your
    > display manager to automatically start such a session.
    >
    > I can't help you with that as I'm not using a display manager myself; my
    > system boots to runlevel 3 and I start X from the commandline. Also,
    > Mandriva uses "branded" versions of the display managers that normally come

    Thanks
    I have to look at 'twm' itself or use one of the other lightweight
    WM's.
    I am gonna try it out with IceWM.
    Wish me luck.
    regards

    kmashraf
    registered GNU/Linux user #251184

  6. Re: Still at it.

    kmashraf@gmail.com wrote:
    > Aragorn wrote:
    > > On Thursday 23 November 2006 18:57, kmashraf@gmail.com stood up and
    > > addressed the masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > > > Thanks for your kind reply.
    > > > I think I should have given more detail.
    > > > This is the story.
    > > > I am pulling forward a project (done about 3 years back) that involves
    > > > the creation of a hands free Linux install CD.
    > > > On booting off this CD a hands free install of a minimal Linux OS (only
    > > > one CD worth) + customizations + application. After the install is
    > > > complete and the machine reboots it winds up auto starting the above
    > > > application. The user of the application only need interact with it
    > > > through a mouse. Keyboard is not required.
    > > > I am using Mandrake 10.2 or LE2005 as my base.
    > > > Now I have got to the point where I have a rough install CD that does
    > > > the job as above. I discovered subsequent to my first post that the
    > > > window manager that I see is 'twm'. I think that is the reason

    > > I'm not too experienced with /twm./ I've checked it out once many years ago
    > > when I did my first install, but I then decided to stick with KDE as I
    > > liked that one best. So I'm afraid you're going to have to look into
    > > the /twm/ documentation and configuration tools to find out how you can get
    > > a new window to appear directly, without the frame.
    > >
    > > Another option - but I don't know - whether /twm/ supports this is having
    > > your application run in the desktop window - i.e. as a kind of wallpaper -
    > > so that the desktop itself becomes "clickable" - /twm/ normally doesn't
    > > have any icons on the desktop.
    > >
    > > In order to do this, you're going to have to look into your X.org and window
    > > manager configuration, and read the manuals on how to configure your
    > > display manager to automatically start such a session.
    > >
    > > I can't help you with that as I'm not using a display manager myself; my
    > > system boots to runlevel 3 and I start X from the commandline. Also,
    > > Mandriva uses "branded" versions of the display managers that normally come
    > > with X.org, KDE and Gnome.
    > >
    > > --
    > > With kind regards,
    > >
    > > *Aragorn*
    > > (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

    > Thanks
    > I have to look at 'twm' itself or use one of the other lightweight
    > WM's.
    > I am gonna try it out with IceWM.
    > Wish me luck.
    > regards
    >
    > kmashraf
    > registered GNU/Linux user #251184

    IceWM-light sorted out the problem I was having.
    Now I have to get the application startup and remove the title bar.
    The option to do so are there in the IceWM config files from my
    googling of it.
    IceWM-light does not put any of the config files in the users home.
    Wonder whether it would work if I created them manually?
    Ashraf

  7. Re: Still at it.

    kmashraf@gmail.com wrote:
    > kmashraf@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Aragorn wrote:
    > > > On Thursday 23 November 2006 18:57, kmashraf@gmail.com stood up and
    > > > addressed the masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > > > I'm not too experienced with /twm./ I've checked it out once many years ago
    > > > when I did my first install, but I then decided to stick with KDE as I
    > > > liked that one best. So I'm afraid you're going to have to look into
    > > > the /twm/ documentation and configuration tools to find out how you can get
    > > > a new window to appear directly, without the frame.
    > > >
    > > > Another option - but I don't know - whether /twm/ supports this is having
    > > > your application run in the desktop window - i.e. as a kind of wallpaper -
    > > > so that the desktop itself becomes "clickable" - /twm/ normally doesn't
    > > > have any icons on the desktop.
    > > >
    > > > In order to do this, you're going to have to look into your X.org and window
    > > > manager configuration, and read the manuals on how to configure your
    > > > display manager to automatically start such a session.
    > > >
    > > > I can't help you with that as I'm not using a display manager myself; my
    > > > system boots to runlevel 3 and I start X from the commandline. Also,
    > > > Mandriva uses "branded" versions of the display managers that normally come
    > > > with X.org, KDE and Gnome.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > With kind regards,
    > > >
    > > > *Aragorn*
    > > > (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

    > > Thanks
    > > I have to look at 'twm' itself or use one of the other lightweight
    > > WM's.
    > > I am gonna try it out with IceWM.
    > > Wish me luck.
    > > regards
    > >
    > > kmashraf
    > > registered GNU/Linux user #251184

    > IceWM-light sorted out the problem I was having.
    > Now I have to get the application startup and remove the title bar.
    > The option to do so are there in the IceWM config files from my
    > googling of it.
    > IceWM-light does not put any of the config files in the users home.
    > Wonder whether it would work if I created them manually?
    > Ashraf

    Good news!
    I' ve got it done.
    Copied all the config files in the /usr/share/icewm.... directory to
    the /home directory under .icewm directory.
    Then edited the 'winoptions' file to remove the title bar of the
    application.
    Also added a 'startup' file to startup the application on icewm
    startup.
    All icewm config details I got from http://www.icewm.org/manual/
    One final thing to do though, replace the bootsplash image with a
    custom one.
    As I have always maintained
    There is no place else like the Brave GNU World.
    Ashraf

  8. Re: Still at it.

    On Saturday 02 December 2006 03:45, kmashraf@gmail.com stood up and
    addressed the masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > Good news!
    > I' ve got it done.
    > Copied all the config files in the /usr/share/icewm.... directory to
    > the /home directory under .icewm directory.

    You _did_ remember to change ownerships and set the permissions right, of
    course? ;-)

    > Then edited the 'winoptions' file to remove the title bar of the
    > application.
    > Also added a 'startup' file to startup the application on icewm
    > startup.
    > All icewm config details I got from http://www.icewm.org/manual/
    > One final thing to do though, replace the bootsplash image with a
    > custom one.
    > As I have always maintained
    > There is no place else like the Brave GNU World.

    Amen to that, Brother! May Saint iGNUtius bless you, and may the Source be
    with you! ;-)

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*