BOOT help needed! Should I install OS on new partition? - Mandrake

This is a discussion on BOOT help needed! Should I install OS on new partition? - Mandrake ; Arrggggggghhhhh! Thanks to everyone for their suggestions of help. I had erased my Linux Partition to make space for Windows files, forgetting that the Linux controlled the LiLo boot and so now I can't get into Windows. I have tried ...

  1. BOOT help needed! Should I install OS on new partition?

    Arrggggggghhhhh!

    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions of help.

    I had erased my Linux Partition to make space for Windows files,
    forgetting that the Linux controlled the LiLo boot and so now I can't
    get into Windows.

    I have tried to reset the Administrator password in order to get my
    Windows machine into Recovery mode. This is still not working! Maybe
    I am changing the wrong password?

    There are 4 or so partitions on this hard drive. I think I know which
    one used to be the Linux partition.

    Is there a lightweight (eg. I don't have a CD-burner, just a floppy
    drive) way to install a new OS on the old Linux partition? Would this
    help me to recover my old files? All I really want is to set up LiLo
    on the machine again and get back into Windows.

    I have spent all day trying to crack this.

    Thanks for all your help.

    mitch

  2. Re: BOOT help needed! Should I install OS on new partition?

    Linux uses a bootloader program called Grub. Google for it. Maybe you can
    just reinstall it and get into Windows. Also try Linux.org message boards
    for help.

    "MitchellCowen" wrote in message
    news:1163630887.809821.130560@b28g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > Arrggggggghhhhh!
    >
    > Thanks to everyone for their suggestions of help.
    >
    > I had erased my Linux Partition to make space for Windows files,
    > forgetting that the Linux controlled the LiLo boot and so now I can't
    > get into Windows.
    >
    > I have tried to reset the Administrator password in order to get my
    > Windows machine into Recovery mode. This is still not working! Maybe
    > I am changing the wrong password?
    >
    > There are 4 or so partitions on this hard drive. I think I know which
    > one used to be the Linux partition.
    >
    > Is there a lightweight (eg. I don't have a CD-burner, just a floppy
    > drive) way to install a new OS on the old Linux partition? Would this
    > help me to recover my old files? All I really want is to set up LiLo
    > on the machine again and get back into Windows.
    >
    > I have spent all day trying to crack this.
    >
    > Thanks for all your help.
    >
    > mitch

  3. Re: BOOT help needed! Should I install OS on new partition?

    On Wednesday 15 November 2006 23:48, MitchellCowen stood up and addressed
    the masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > Arrggggggghhhhh!
    >
    > Thanks to everyone for their suggestions of help.
    >
    > I had erased my Linux Partition to make space for Windows files,
    > forgetting that the Linux controlled the LiLo boot and so now I can't
    > get into Windows.

    I'm afraid this is nonsensical. LILO is normally installed in the master
    boot record of your hard disk - the one set in the BIOS as the bootable
    device. There are other scenarios for installing a GNU/Linux bootloader,
    but I don't see any possibility of the removal of GNU/Linux disabling
    Windows from booting up.

    Windows - I presume you are talking of an NT-derived version such as Windows
    XP - uses a bootloader that lives in the active primary partition on the
    bootable hard disk. Even if you were to remove your GNU/Linux partitions,
    LILO would still be in the master boot record and its Windows entry would
    still be pointing to the Windows bootloader.

    My guess is that you've been playing around with something like Partition
    Magic and that you've screwed up your partition table, leaving your Windows
    boot partition unbootable.

    > I have tried to reset the Administrator password in order to get my
    > Windows machine into Recovery mode.

    I don't do Windows, but from what I've read about it, resetting the
    Administrator password would require you to boot into Windows first. You
    claim that this is not possible, so how could you ever get there and what
    do you hope to accomplish by resetting a password?

    > This is still not working! Maybe I am changing the wrong password?

    If there is one Administrator account on your system, it will have one
    password only.

    > There are 4 or so partitions on this hard drive. I think I know which
    > one used to be the Linux partition.

    You /think/ you know? As a system administrator - and especially to your
    own machine - it is your business to know. ;-)

    > Is there a lightweight (eg. I don't have a CD-burner, just a floppy
    > drive) way to install a new OS on the old Linux partition?

    Maybe you can get your hands on an old copy of OS/2, although for good
    measure I have to add that this may not be legal. I don't do proprietary
    software, but it may be so that a purchased license may not be transfered
    to another person.

    Note that you can also install another copy of Windows on an empty
    partition, as long as there is an active primary partition to write the
    Windows bootloader to. If there is already a Windows bootloader installed,
    the new install will add its entries to the original bootloader.

    > Would this help me to recover my old files?

    What old files are you talking about? Your GNU/Linux files? If you've
    erased those partitions or if you've deleted those files, then you'd have
    to get into some serious hard disk forensics to retrieve them, I'm afraid.
    And then it all also depends on which filesystem you were using.

    > All I really want is to set up LiLo on the machine again and get back into
    > Windows.

    Use your official Windows XP CD/DVD to boot from and use the repair console
    or whatever it is called. There should be two utilities on that CD
    called /FIXMBR.EXE/ and /FIXBOOT.EXE./ The first one will erase LILO from
    the MBR by overwriting it with an MBR that's compatible with MS-DOS, OS/2
    and Windows. The second will - most likely; like I said, I don't do
    Windows - set your Windows partition as active/bootable again.

    > I have spent all day trying to crack this.
    >
    > Thanks for all your help.

    For the future, please try to be as concise as possible. Quality help
    requires the poster to give quality information. No guesses, no
    interpretations.

    Tell us the exact error messages or the exact things that you see on the
    screen. Makes it easier for anyone wanting to help to succeed at that. ;-)

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  4. Re: BOOT help needed! Should I install OS on new partition?

    On Thursday 16 November 2006 00:44, DandyDon stood up and addressed the
    masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > Linux uses a bootloader program called Grub.

    Not necessarily. There are two main bootloaders used by GNU/Linux
    distributions, i.e. LILO and GRUB.

    LILO (LInux LOader) is the oldest one of the two, while GRUB (GRand Unified
    Bootloader) is newer. Unlike LILO, GRUB is a miniature OS with a shell,
    capable of reading filesystems directly - LILO uses binary C/H/S or LBA
    addresses.

    > Google for it. Maybe you can just reinstall it and get into Windows.

    Setting up LILO or GRUB in the OP's circumstances would require the OP to
    use the commandline from a bootable install or rescue CD. Considering the
    OP's level of knowledge of both Windows and GNU/Linux, this is a virtually
    impossible task for him.

    An automated repair of the bootloader would be impossible since he's already
    erased his GNU/Linux set-up, and so the installer/rescue disk won't be able
    to retrieve anything anymore to base the correct repair procedure on.

    Either way, the OP does not need to install LILO or GRUB. All he needs to
    do is to make sure that the MBR of his hard disk is overwritten again with
    a Windows-specific one - which would _get_ _rid_ of LILO/GRUB - and that
    his Windows boot partition is bootable/active again.

    > Also try Linux.org message boards for help.

    With all due respect, I find it very ironic and striking that you -
    obviously a Windows user and most likely a resident
    of /microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/ - should be giving *that* advice
    when the OP's problem is clearly one of not being able to boot Windows,
    presumable because he used some brute force tool to remove GNU/Linux from
    his hard disk, and all this while a Windows install CD has the necessary
    tools to allow him to repair his Windows-specific bootloader!

    It is this lack of understanding of how a computer works and even how
    Windows works that gives GNU/Linux an unwarranted bad reputation. The OP
    had both Windows and GNU/Linux on his hard disk and he chose to remove
    GNU/Linux from within Windows. Now that GNU/Linux is gone, the method the
    OP used for getting rid of GNU/Linux also made Windows unbootable.

    This has nothing to do with GNU/Linux, and GNU/Linux is not even installed
    on his system anymore, so it couldn't even do any damage if it wanted to -
    and it doesn't want to; it plays perfectly well with any other operating
    system.

    But then to the GNU/Linux-unsavvy - let's call it that - GNU/Linux is the
    cause of the OP's problems and he should turn to GNU/Linux to undo his
    damage. Pure FUD!

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: BOOT help needed! Should I install OS on new partition?

    Aragorn wrote:

    > On Thursday 16 November 2006 00:44, DandyDon stood up and addressed the
    > masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    >
    >> Linux uses a bootloader program called Grub.

    > Not necessarily. There are two main bootloaders used by GNU/Linux
    > distributions, i.e. LILO and GRUB.
    >
    > LILO (LInux LOader) is the oldest one of the two, while GRUB (GRand
    > Unified
    > Bootloader) is newer. Unlike LILO, GRUB is a miniature OS with a shell,
    > capable of reading filesystems directly - LILO uses binary C/H/S or LBA
    > addresses.
    >
    >> Google for it. Maybe you can just reinstall it and get into Windows.

    > Setting up LILO or GRUB in the OP's circumstances would require the OP to
    > use the commandline from a bootable install or rescue CD. Considering the
    > OP's level of knowledge of both Windows and GNU/Linux, this is a virtually
    > impossible task for him.
    >
    > An automated repair of the bootloader would be impossible since he's
    > already erased his GNU/Linux set-up, and so the installer/rescue disk
    > won't be able to retrieve anything anymore to base the correct repair
    > procedure on.
    >
    > Either way, the OP does not need to install LILO or GRUB. All he needs to
    > do is to make sure that the MBR of his hard disk is overwritten again with
    > a Windows-specific one - which would _get_ _rid_ of LILO/GRUB - and that
    > his Windows boot partition is bootable/active again.
    >
    >> Also try Linux.org message boards for help.

    > With all due respect, I find it very ironic and striking that you -
    > obviously a Windows user and most likely a resident
    > of /microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/ - should be giving *that* advice
    > when the OP's problem is clearly one of not being able to boot Windows,
    > presumable because he used some brute force tool to remove GNU/Linux from
    > his hard disk, and all this while a Windows install CD has the necessary
    > tools to allow him to repair his Windows-specific bootloader!
    >
    > It is this lack of understanding of how a computer works and even how
    > Windows works that gives GNU/Linux an unwarranted bad reputation. The OP
    > had both Windows and GNU/Linux on his hard disk and he chose to remove
    > GNU/Linux from within Windows. Now that GNU/Linux is gone, the method the
    > OP used for getting rid of GNU/Linux also made Windows unbootable.
    >
    > This has nothing to do with GNU/Linux, and GNU/Linux is not even installed
    > on his system anymore, so it couldn't even do any damage if it wanted to -
    > and it doesn't want to; it plays perfectly well with any other operating
    > system.
    >
    > But then to the GNU/Linux-unsavvy - let's call it that - GNU/Linux is the
    > cause of the OP's problems and he should turn to GNU/Linux to undo his
    > damage. Pure FUD!

    Aragorn,

    These Windows users never fail to amaze me with how much lack of
    understanding they have of computers. I guess that comes with the sheltered
    lifestyles they "enjoy" when running MS-Windows, where little real
    knowledge is required as MS has already determined how they clickety-click
    their way around that toy operating system. It's only when they start
    screwing around with things they don't know, like the OP has done, that it
    becomes all too obvious. :-) I agree totally that when confronted with the
    need to understand how their computers actually work, they tend to lash out
    at GNU/Linux blaming it for their problems. If the OP really wanted to get
    that computer to boot and to really use a powerful and secure operating
    system, he'd wipe the whole damn thing clean and just install GNU/Linux.

    Cheers.

    --
    Linux is ready for the desktop! More ready than Windoze XP.
    http://tinyurl.com/ldm9d

    "Computer users around the globe recognize that the most serious threats to
    security exist because of inherent weaknesses in the Microsoft operating
    system." McAfee

  6. Re: BOOT help needed! Should I install OS on new partition?

    On Thursday 16 November 2006 17:34, NoStop stood up and addressed the masses
    in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > Aragorn,
    >
    > These Windows users never fail to amaze me with how much lack of
    > understanding they have of computers. I guess that comes with the
    > sheltered lifestyles they "enjoy" when running MS-Windows, where little
    > real knowledge is required as MS has already determined how they
    > clickety-click their way around that toy operating system.

    Well, the standard advice would have been "reboot, reformat and reinstall",
    and perhaps in the kludge that the OP has created for himself, this *would*
    indeed be the only sensible approach. ;-)

    > It's only when they start screwing around with things they don't know,
    > like the OP has done, that it becomes all too obvious. :-) I agree totally
    > that when confronted with the need to understand how their computers
    > actually work, they tend to lash out at GNU/Linux blaming it for their
    > problems.

    It has come to my attention that the Windows users most rabidly striking out
    at GNU/Linux are funding their hatred for GNU/Linux upon the fact that it
    confronts them with their own lack of knowledge.

    When I was still on /comp.os.linux.advocacy/ - and I see the same posts
    appear on /comp.os.linux.misc/ from time to time when they are being
    cross-posted - there would often be a post from a female troll who goes by
    the names "Julie" and "Rebecca", which always ends with the sentence "Linux
    makes you stupid".

    Well, GNU/Linux doesn't make you stupid, but it's kind of like a mirror,
    i.e. if you *are* stupid, GNU/Linux will confront you with that.

    > If the OP really wanted to get that computer to boot and to really use a
    > powerful and secure operating system, he'd wipe the whole damn thing clean
    > and just install GNU/Linux.

    As a wise man once said... "Treat your customers like idiots, and idiots are
    the kind of customers you'll attract." ;-)

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  7. Re: BOOT help needed! Should I install OS on new partition?

    Aragorn wrote:
    > As a wise man once said... "Treat your customers like idiots, and idiots are
    > the kind of customers you'll attract." ;-)

    I note that Bill Gates has lots of customers...

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    Unix is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  8. Re: BOOT help needed! Should I install OS on new partition?

    On Friday 17 November 2006 03:04, James D. Beard stood up and addressed the
    masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> As a wise man once said... "Treat your customers like idiots, and idiots
    >> are the kind of customers you'll attract." ;-)

    > I note that Bill Gates has lots of customers...

    Hmm... I've always considered Glassware to be more of a drug. Addictive
    enough to make people lower themselves and do the craziest things, and
    mindnumbing enough to keep them thinking that they need it. ;-)

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)