LILO Help needed: Erased Linux; Can't boot Windows - Mandrake

This is a discussion on LILO Help needed: Erased Linux; Can't boot Windows - Mandrake ; Arrgghh! My computer was stolen in a trip to New York. I have taken out an ancient computer which was LILO dual boot Linux/Windows XP. I needed space so I deleted the Linux partition. But I forgot that Linux had ...

  1. LILO Help needed: Erased Linux; Can't boot Windows

    Arrgghh!

    My computer was stolen in a trip to New York.

    I have taken out an ancient computer which was LILO dual boot
    Linux/Windows XP.

    I needed space so I deleted the Linux partition.

    But I forgot that Linux had overwritten or something the Windows MBR so
    now I can't boot into Windows either!

    I'm not sure what to do. I've been downloading the Windows Setup disk
    in an effort to repair the MBR but I have no idea what the admin
    password is (maybe I will guess it soon?)

    Any recommendations?

    Can I install some bare bones Linux-LILO functionality to allow me to
    get into Windows?

    Should I install Windows in the former Linux partition?

    Are there any tools to help me recover and repair the MBR?

    As I said above "arrggghh!!"

    Thanks,
    Mitch

  2. Re: LILO Help needed: Erased Linux; Can't boot Windows

    MitchellCowen wrote:
    > Arrgghh!
    >
    > My computer was stolen in a trip to New York.
    >
    > I have taken out an ancient computer which was LILO dual boot
    > Linux/Windows XP.
    >
    > I needed space so I deleted the Linux partition.
    >
    > But I forgot that Linux had overwritten or something the Windows MBR so
    > now I can't boot into Windows either!
    >
    > I'm not sure what to do. I've been downloading the Windows Setup disk
    > in an effort to repair the MBR but I have no idea what the admin
    > password is (maybe I will guess it soon?)
    >
    > Any recommendations?

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305595

    Of course if you can't remember the passwords for any of the
    XP accounts you'll also have to deal with that issue. Google for

    xp forgot administrator password

    and then pick a tool.

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  3. Re: LILO Help needed: Erased Linux; Can't boot Windows

    MitchellCowen wrote:
    > But I forgot that Linux had overwritten or something the Windows MBR so
    > now I can't boot into Windows either!

    boot from a Winblows rescue disk (or install disk) and run
    fdisk /mbr

    jim b.
    --
    Unix is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: LILO Help needed: Erased Linux; Can't boot Windows

    On Wednesday 15 November 2006 20:57, MitchellCowen stood up and addressed
    the masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > Arrgghh!
    >
    > My computer was stolen in a trip to New York.
    >
    > I have taken out an ancient computer which was LILO dual boot
    > Linux/Windows XP.
    >
    > I needed space so I deleted the Linux partition.
    >
    > But I forgot that Linux had overwritten or something the Windows MBR so
    > now I can't boot into Windows either!

    Nonsense. If you remove GNU/Linux by removing its partition, the MBR
    remains untouched and LILO should still offer you Windows as a boot-up
    choice.

    If LILO is no longer there, you should _also_ still be able to boot to
    Windows, given that Windows does not require a bootloader such as LILO.
    Windows largely boots the way MS-DOS boots, i.e. the BIOS loads the
    bootsector of the active primary partition on the bootable device into
    memory. This bootsector contains the Windows bootloader and Windows will
    take it from there.

    > I'm not sure what to do. I've been downloading the Windows Setup disk
    > in an effort to repair the MBR but I have no idea what the admin
    > password is (maybe I will guess it soon?)

    All you need is your official Windows installation CD/DVD. There are a few
    tools on there to repair your bootloader, i.e. /FIXMBR.EXE/
    and /FIXBOOT.EXE./

    Most likely you've used some partitioning tool like Partition Magic to erase
    GNU/Linux from your hard disk, or possibly you did that from within the
    Windows partitioning tool itself, but obviously you've messed with your
    master boot record in some mysterious way, which points more towards
    Partition Magic or something of its ilk.

    > Any recommendations?

    You could use an MS-DOS 6.22 or Windows95/98 boot floppy with /FDISK.EXE/ on
    it and issue...

    fdisk /mbr

    .... at the command prompt after boot-up. I recommend also firing
    up /FDISK.EXE/ in interactive mode to check whether your Windows boot
    partition is still marked active, and to set it as active/bootable if it's
    not.

    > Can I install some bare bones Linux-LILO functionality to allow me to
    > get into Windows?

    You don't need LILO, and setting it up again with your level of expertise is
    something I strongly advise against.

    > Should I install Windows in the former Linux partition?

    That is an option, but whether you choose to do so or not is your decision
    alone.

    > Are there any tools to help me recover and repair the MBR?

    Yes, and they are on your Windows CD/DVD. You do have one, don't you?

    > As I said above "arrggghh!!"

    Please stop blaming GNU/Linux for problems originating between the keyboard
    and the chair, especially if those problems pertain to another operating
    system, for which tools are available *if* you've purchased a legitimate
    license for this operating system.

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: LILO Help needed: Erased Linux; Can't boot Windows

    On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 23:05:11 +0000, James D. Beard wrote:

    > MitchellCowen wrote:
    >> But I forgot that Linux had overwritten or something the Windows MBR so
    >> now I can't boot into Windows either!

    > boot from a Winblows rescue disk (or install disk) and run
    > fdisk /mbr
    >
    > jim b.

    Won't work. Neither XP CDs nor the recovery diskettes contain or use FDISK.

  6. Re: LILO Help needed: Erased Linux; Can't boot Windows

    On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 04:02:59 +0000, Aragorn wrote:

    >> As I said above "arrggghh!!"

    > Please stop blaming GNU/Linux for problems originating between the
    > keyboard and the chair, especially if those problems pertain to another
    > operating system, for which tools are available *if* you've purchased a
    > legitimate license for this operating system.

    It's been a while since I came here, but I remember the name Aragorn.
    Still a mean nasty bastard, I see.

  7. Re: LILO Help needed: Erased Linux; Can't boot Windows

    On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 23:23:36 -0500, Bryan wrote:

    >> boot from a Winblows rescue disk (or install disk) and run
    >> fdisk /mbr

    > Won't work. Neither XP CDs nor the recovery diskettes contain or use
    > FDISK.

    Use any fdisk program on a boot disk or find a utility.

  8. Re: LILO Help needed: Erased Linux; Can't boot Windows

    On Sunday 26 November 2006 05:24, Bryan stood up and addressed the masses
    in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 04:02:59 +0000, Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >>> As I said above "arrggghh!!"

    >> Please stop blaming GNU/Linux for problems originating between the
    >> keyboard and the chair, especially if those problems pertain to another
    >> operating system, for which tools are available *if* you've purchased a
    >> legitimate license for this operating system.

    > It's been a while since I came here, but I remember the name Aragorn.
    > Still a mean nasty bastard, I see.

    Huh? What are you smoking? Please provide evidence of my alleged being
    mean to anyone or keep your mouth shut. And I suggest you might go ahead
    and do the latter right at once, because I'm very confident that such
    evidence can not be found, although Google _does_ archive all of my posts.

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  9. Re: LILO Help needed: Erased Linux; Can't boot Windows

    MitchellCowen wrote:
    > Arrgghh!
    >
    > My computer was stolen in a trip to New York.
    >
    > I have taken out an ancient computer which was LILO dual boot
    > Linux/Windows XP.
    >
    > I needed space so I deleted the Linux partition.
    >
    > But I forgot that Linux had overwritten or something the Windows MBR
    > so now I can't boot into Windows either!
    >
    > I'm not sure what to do. I've been downloading the Windows Setup
    > disk in an effort to repair the MBR but I have no idea what the admin
    > password is (maybe I will guess it soon?)
    >
    > Any recommendations?
    >
    > Can I install some bare bones Linux-LILO functionality to allow me to
    > get into Windows?
    >
    > Should I install Windows in the former Linux partition?
    >
    > Are there any tools to help me recover and repair the MBR?
    >
    > As I said above "arrggghh!!"
    >
    > Thanks, Mitch

    Any chance you still have disc #1 available from when you installed
    Linux. If so pop it in the drive and reboot. Look for the rescue
    option. There you will find a selection to restore the Windows boot
    loader.

  10. Re: LILO Help needed: Erased Linux; Can't boot Windows

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 10:58:17 +0000, Aragorn wrote:

    > On Sunday 26 November 2006 05:24, Bryan stood up and addressed the masses
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    >
    >> It's been a while since I came here, but I remember the name Aragorn.
    >> Still a mean nasty bastard, I see.

    > Huh? What are you smoking? Please provide evidence of my alleged being
    > mean to anyone or keep your mouth shut. And I suggest you might go ahead
    > and do the latter right at once, because I'm very confident that such
    > evidence can not be found, although Google _does_ archive all of my posts.

    He's just stirring and really is beneath contempt.

    --
    Neil
    'The moving finger writes and having writ still makes the same mistakes'.

  11. Re: LILO Help needed: Erased Linux; Can't boot Windows

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 23:23:36 -0500, Bryan wrote:
    >
    >>> boot from a Winblows rescue disk (or install disk) and run
    >>> fdisk /mbr

    >> Won't work. Neither XP CDs nor the recovery diskettes contain or use
    >> FDISK.

    > Use any fdisk program on a boot disk or find a utility.

    If you have a Win98 boot disk, it has FDISK on it, in the OLDMSDOS
    directory.

    Donald

  12. Re: LILO Help needed: Erased Linux; Can't boot Windows

    Aragorn wrote:
    > On Sunday 26 November 2006 05:24, Bryan stood up and addressed the masses
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    >>> Please stop blaming GNU/Linux for problems originating between the
    >>> keyboard and the chair, especially if those problems pertain to another
    >>> operating system, for which tools are available *if* you've purchased a
    >>> legitimate license for this operating system.

    >> It's been a while since I came here, but I remember the name Aragorn.
    >> Still a mean nasty bastard, I see.

    > Huh? What are you smoking? Please provide evidence of my alleged being
    > mean to anyone or keep your mouth shut. And I suggest you might go ahead
    > and do the latter right at once, because I'm very confident that such
    > evidence can not be found, although Google _does_ archive all of my posts.

    You are starting to get pissed off, sir. Take a deep breath and relax.
    Flame wars warp your judgement, for other posts. Wars escalate. All the
    same thing, just a difference in scale.

    Donald

  13. Re: LILO Help needed: Erased Linux; Can't boot Windows

    On Sat, 25 Nov 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake, in article
    , Bryan wrote:

    >On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 23:05:11 +0000, James D. Beard wrote:
    >
    >> MitchellCowen wrote:
    >>> But I forgot that Linux had overwritten or something the Windows MBR so
    >>> now I can't boot into Windows either!

    >> boot from a Winblows rescue disk (or install disk) and run
    >> fdisk /mbr

    >Won't work. Neither XP CDs nor the recovery diskettes contain or use FDISK.

    Yes, it was replaced by FIXMBR on the XP CD

    Old guy

  14. Re: LILO Help needed: Erased Linux; Can't boot Windows

    On Sunday 26 November 2006 17:39, Donald Tees stood up and addressed the
    masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > Aragorn wrote:
    >> On Sunday 26 November 2006 05:24, Bryan stood up and addressed the masses
    >> in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    >>
    >>> It's been a while since I came here, but I remember the name Aragorn.
    >>> Still a mean nasty bastard, I see.

    >> Huh? What are you smoking? Please provide evidence of my alleged being
    >> mean to anyone or keep your mouth shut. And I suggest you might go ahead
    >> and do the latter right at once, because I'm very confident that such
    >> evidence can not be found, although Google _does_ archive all of my
    >> posts.

    > You are starting to get pissed off, sir. Take a deep breath and relax.
    > Flame wars warp your judgement, for other posts. Wars escalate. All the
    > same thing, just a difference in scale.

    You're absolutely right, Donald... :-/ With all this bashing going on
    lately - first Dan C, then that Wintroll who continued to bash the group,
    then Matt, then Dan C again, then that /virgin.net/ character and now this
    one again, I'm indeed starting to get irritated and my patience is being
    tried very hard.

    And in the meantime, I also got flamed on our organization's mailing list by
    a pro-Windows guy on our team over having published something regarding the
    Novell/Microsoft thing, and at the same time yet another team member sent
    me an SMS that she had a trojan on her computer, to which I replied with a
    funny remark about Windows, which she also took the wrong way... :-/

    I know I'm overly sensitive, but I'm afraid that comes with my condition.
    Everything is much more intense for me, and this includes my emotions
    whenever I'm confronted with something I perceive as injustice or
    wrongdoing. :-/ And when things pile up... I'm only as human as everyone
    else, you know what I mean?

    I've already wondered whether it wouldn't be a good idea for me to just
    disappear for a short while. I've already told the other guys on our
    organization's team that I would keep my mouth shut until it was absolutely
    necessary for me to speak, and so far I've been sticking to that
    resolution. Maybe I should do the same here, since things are obviously
    starting to get on my nerves more intensely than I can handle... :-/

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  15. Re: LILO Help needed: Erased Linux; Can't boot Windows

    On Sunday 26 November 2006 14:17, Neil Ellwood stood up and addressed the
    masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 10:58:17 +0000, Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> On Sunday 26 November 2006 05:24, Bryan stood up and addressed the masses
    >> in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    >>
    >>> It's been a while since I came here, but I remember the name Aragorn.
    >>> Still a mean nasty bastard, I see.

    >> Huh? What are you smoking? Please provide evidence of my alleged being
    >> mean to anyone or keep your mouth shut. And I suggest you might go ahead
    >> and do the latter right at once, because I'm very confident that such
    >> evidence can not be found, although Google _does_ archive all of my
    >> posts.

    > He's just stirring and really is beneath contempt.

    And then those are the people who expect *us* to help them out... :-/

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  16. Re: LILO Help needed: Erased Linux; Can't boot Windows

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 10:58:17 +0000, Aragorn wrote:

    > On Sunday 26 November 2006 05:24, Bryan stood up and addressed the masses
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    >>> Please stop blaming GNU/Linux for problems originating between the
    >>> keyboard and the chair, especially if those problems pertain to another
    >>> operating system, for which tools are available *if* you've purchased a
    >>> legitimate license for this operating system.

    >> It's been a while since I came here, but I remember the name Aragorn.
    >> Still a mean nasty bastard, I see.

    > Huh? What are you smoking? Please provide evidence of my alleged being
    > mean to anyone or keep your mouth shut. And I suggest you might go ahead
    > and do the latter right at once, because I'm very confident that such
    > evidence can not be found, although Google _does_ archive all of my posts.

    Try reading your comments in this post. Both were mean and nasty. I also
    perused the group and many (though certainly not all) take a pretty
    condescending tone and some are just plain mean.

    Yes, you offer good advice too. I was just pointing out the obvious - you
    go on the attack very quickly and are nasty when that happens. Turn the
    frown upside down.

  17. Re: LILO Help needed: Erased Linux; Can't boot Windows

    Bryan wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 10:58:17 +0000, Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> On Sunday 26 November 2006 05:24, Bryan stood up and addressed the masses
    >> in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    >>> It's been a while since I came here, but I remember the name Aragorn.
    >>> Still a mean nasty bastard, I see.

    >> Huh? What are you smoking? Please provide evidence of my alleged being
    >> mean to anyone or keep your mouth shut. And I suggest you might go ahead
    >> and do the latter right at once, because I'm very confident that such
    >> evidence can not be found, although Google _does_ archive all of my posts.

    > Try reading your comments in this post. Both were mean and nasty. I also
    > perused the group and many (though certainly not all) take a pretty
    > condescending tone and some are just plain mean.
    >
    > Yes, you offer good advice too. I was just pointing out the obvious - you
    > go on the attack very quickly and are nasty when that happens. Turn the
    > frown upside down.

    Grief! Ain't it great that we have so little to do in this
    forum that we can spend most of our time railing at each other!

    --
    Unix is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  18. Re: LILO Help needed: Erased Linux; Can't boot Windows

    Quoth Aragorn :

    > On Sunday 26 November 2006 14:17, Neil Ellwood stood up and addressed the
    > masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    >
    >> On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 10:58:17 +0000, Aragorn wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sunday 26 November 2006 05:24, Bryan stood up and addressed the
    >>> masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    >>> Huh? What are you smoking? Please provide evidence of my alleged
    >>> being
    >>> mean to anyone or keep your mouth shut. And I suggest you might go
    >>> ahead and do the latter right at once, because I'm very confident that
    >>> such evidence can not be found, although Google _does_ archive all of
    >>> my posts.

    >> He's just stirring and really is beneath contempt.

    > And then those are the people who expect *us* to help them out... :-/

    Hell, I stir all the time and I'm exactly equal to contempt ;-)

    (Pssst, A. they do seem to be _getting_ to you lately. Remember they
    aren't real. Fig Newtons of our imaginations!) (Mmmmm, fignewtons...)
    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  19. Re: LILO Help needed: Erased Linux; Can't boot Windows

    On Tuesday 28 November 2006 04:01, Bryan stood up and addressed the masses
    in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 10:58:17 +0000, Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> On Sunday 26 November 2006 05:24, Bryan stood up and addressed the masses
    >> in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    >>> It's been a while since I came here, but I remember the name Aragorn.
    >>> Still a mean nasty bastard, I see.

    >> Huh? What are you smoking? Please provide evidence of my alleged being
    >> mean to anyone or keep your mouth shut. And I suggest you might go ahead
    >> and do the latter right at once, because I'm very confident that such
    >> evidence can not be found, although Google _does_ archive all of my
    >> posts.

    > Try reading your comments in this post. Both were mean and nasty.

    There was nothing mean or nasty about that! The phrase "the problem exists
    between the keyboard and the chair" is just a funny way of saying that it's
    an operator error, not a system error.

    I also haven't seen the original post anymore - compacted/expired folders
    and such - but I presume that it was the one cross-posted to the Windows
    group, and yes, I found it striking that someone with a Windows problem was
    being sent off to a GNU/Linux group _by_ people on the Windows group.

    The Windows guys can't help that they were not aware of LILO also being a
    bootloader for GNU/Linux - it is in fact much older than GRUB - and so I
    informed them of how things worked. No foul in that.

    On the other hand, the problem was (and still is) obviously a Windows
    problem, and if the Windows guys can't handle that and send you over to our
    group because of their incompetence, then that sure says a lot.

    I made comments about that, and I acknowledge that. I spoke my mind, but I
    did not do so in contempt - I never do. There may have been a little mild
    chastising in that post, but that's as far as it goes.

    Being afflicted with Asperger's Syndrome, I deal with topics and situations,
    rather than with people. Ego games are wasted on me - first and foremost
    because most of the time, I'm not even able to discern any ego games going
    on, unless they really are very outspoken and leave no room for doubt, and
    secondly because I myself don't work that way.

    My mind is far too abstracted from my own personality to even be able to
    play ego games.

    > I also perused the group and many (though certainly not all) take a pretty
    > condescending tone and some are just plain mean.

    There are some, I will acknowledge and confirm that. Yet I am not one of
    those, so you picked the wrong guy to kick around. There was no foul in
    anything of what I've written. In fact, if you are the poster from the
    thread I was just referring to - I can't verify that anymore in my
    newsreader - then you will also know that I even gave you Windows-specific
    advice. Advice - mind you! - that I have gathered from reading up on
    Windows and discovering Windows/DOS tricks here on Usenet from people who
    use it, as I myself don't - or not if I can help it anyway.

    I would also advise you to look past the flame threads that have recently
    been going on here, as they are not representative for the group, but
    rather reflect the tendency of a few individuals here to be mean towards
    other posters, and the reactions from those who are tired of that.

    > Yes, you offer good advice too. I was just pointing out the obvious - you
    > go on the attack very quickly and are nasty when that happens.

    That is not true, as I am never mean or nasty. I have learned to be
    assertive, yes - something I was uncapable of for a very long time, given
    my handicap and my rather traumatizing past - but being assertive is not
    the same thing as being mean or arrogant. In fact, _despite_ my
    affliction, I know very well where the line is between assertiveness and
    arrogance, which are two concepts that - surprisingly - the younger and
    "normal" people these days seem to consider one and the same.

    > Turn the frown upside down.

    Then please do not accuse me of things that I'm not guilty of. I've already
    had to stand that all of my life so far, and I'm really starting to get
    agitated by it. :-/

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*