10 minute monitor shutdown fix - Mandrake

This is a discussion on 10 minute monitor shutdown fix - Mandrake ; In case you missed the recent thread about this, there appears to be a problem with Mandriva 2007 that causes your monitor to blank out after 10 minutes regardless of how you try to change it. When the monitor blanks ...

  1. 10 minute monitor shutdown fix

    In case you missed the recent thread about this, there appears to be a
    problem with Mandriva 2007 that causes your monitor to blank out after 10
    minutes regardless of how you try to change it. When the monitor blanks
    out, in most most cases, it's actually still turned on offering no power
    savings. It's simply a black "screen saver" of sorts. There also seems to
    be no provisions for power management included with 2007. Thanks to the
    hints, links and suggestions from numerous posters I've come up with a
    work around for this. Insert the following lines into xorg.conf in Section
    "ServerLayout"

    Option "BlankTime" "45"
    Option "StandbyTime" "0"
    Option "SuspendTime" "0"
    Option "OffTime" "60"

    The "BlankTime" "45" meaning 45 minutes before blanking the screen and the
    "OffTime" "60" meaning 1 hour before the monitor turns off. Set them to
    whatever you need. Your screen saver will now play until your preset
    blanking time of 60 minutes, instead of 10 minutes and the monitor will
    actually shut down after whatever time you've set it for. The xorg.conf
    file can be found in /etc/X11 and edited in a text editor. You need to be
    logged in as Root when you do this otherwise it's a read only file and you
    can't save your changes. Restart X server to make it stick.

  2. Re: 10 minute monitor shutdown fix

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 18:24:32 GMT, "JTJersey" wrote:

    >In case you missed the recent thread about this, there appears to be a
    >problem with Mandriva 2007 that causes your monitor to blank out after 10
    >minutes regardless of how you try to change it. When the monitor blanks
    >out, in most most cases, it's actually still turned on offering no power
    >savings. It's simply a black "screen saver" of sorts. There also seems to
    >be no provisions for power management included with 2007. Thanks to the
    >hints, links and suggestions from numerous posters I've come up with a
    >work around for this. Insert the following lines into xorg.conf in Section
    >"ServerLayout"
    >

    > Option "BlankTime" "45"
    > Option "StandbyTime" "0"
    > Option "SuspendTime" "0"
    > Option "OffTime" "60"
    >

    >The "BlankTime" "45" meaning 45 minutes before blanking the screen and the
    >"OffTime" "60" meaning 1 hour before the monitor turns off. Set them to
    >whatever you need. Your screen saver will now play until your preset
    >blanking time of 60 minutes, instead of 10 minutes and the monitor will
    >actually shut down after whatever time you've set it for. The xorg.conf
    >file can be found in /etc/X11 and edited in a text editor. You need to be
    >logged in as Root when you do this otherwise it's a read only file and you
    >can't save your changes. Restart X server to make it stick.

    I did this, but now it just blanks out in the time that I have set for
    my screen saver. I thought at first it might be the screensaver, but
    it works when I use preview, and when I tried a different screensaver
    it still did this.

    --
    If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger.
    ~Frank Lloyd Wright - www.cynode.com | www.cynode.net (NWS)

  3. Re: 10 minute monitor shutdown fix

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:44:24 -0500, Cynode wrote:

    > I did this, but now it just blanks out in the time that I have set for
    > my screen saver. I thought at first it might be the screensaver, but
    > it works when I use preview, and when I tried a different screensaver
    > it still did this.

    How are you setting your screen saver?

  4. Re: 10 minute monitor shutdown fix

    JTJersey wrote:

    > Insert the following lines into xorg.conf in Section
    > "ServerLayout"
    >

    > Option "BlankTime" "45"
    > Option "StandbyTime" "0"
    > Option "SuspendTime" "0"
    > Option "OffTime" "60"
    >

    > The "BlankTime" "45" meaning 45 minutes before blanking the screen and the
    > "OffTime" "60" meaning 1 hour before the monitor turns off. Set them to
    > whatever you need. Your screen saver will now play until your preset
    > blanking time of 60 minutes, instead of 10 minutes and the monitor will
    > actually shut down after whatever time you've set it for. The xorg.conf
    > file can be found in /etc/X11 and edited in a text editor. You need to be
    > logged in as Root when you do this otherwise it's a read only file and you
    > can't save your changes. Restart X server to make it stick.

    Good info! Presumably, though, you meant to write: "your screen saver
    will now play until your preset blanking time of 45 minutes ...."
    (rather than 60)

    No? ... or am I missing something?
    --
    ****** Warning - Highly US-Centric .sig approaching! ******
    The only way to differentiate "The War on Terrorism"

  5. Re: 10 minute monitor shutdown fix

    James J. Dines wrote:
    > JTJersey wrote:
    >
    >> Insert the following lines into xorg.conf in Section
    >> "ServerLayout"
    >>

    >> Option "BlankTime" "45"
    >> Option "StandbyTime" "0"
    >> Option "SuspendTime" "0"
    >> Option "OffTime" "60"
    >>

    >> The "BlankTime" "45" meaning 45 minutes before blanking the screen and the
    >> "OffTime" "60" meaning 1 hour before the monitor turns off. Set them to
    >> whatever you need. Your screen saver will now play until your preset
    >> blanking time of 60 minutes, instead of 10 minutes and the monitor will
    >> actually shut down after whatever time you've set it for. The xorg.conf
    >> file can be found in /etc/X11 and edited in a text editor. You need to be
    >> logged in as Root when you do this otherwise it's a read only file and you
    >> can't save your changes. Restart X server to make it stick.
    >>

    > Good info! Presumably, though, you meant to write: "your screen saver
    > will now play until your preset blanking time of 45 minutes ...."
    > (rather than 60)
    >
    > No? ... or am I missing something?

    It looks like I spoke too soon. I added the lines as described and
    restarted my X Server, but it didn't change the behavior :-(

    --
    ****** Warning - Highly US-Centric .sig approaching! ******
    The only way to differentiate "The War on Terrorism"
    from "The War on Drugs" is to measure the amount of piss
    on the Founding Fathers graves. - James J. Dines

  6. Re: 10 minute monitor shutdown fix

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:03:31 GMT, "JTJersey" wrote:

    >On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:44:24 -0500, Cynode wrote:
    >
    >> I did this, but now it just blanks out in the time that I have set for
    >> my screen saver. I thought at first it might be the screensaver, but
    >> it works when I use preview, and when I tried a different screensaver
    >> it still did this.
    >>

    >How are you setting your screen saver?

    I just realized you had posted this to 2 different ng's so I just saw
    this reply =)

    my screen saver is set by right click desktop > configure desktop >
    screen saver > choose clock > apply

    when I press the "Test" button my screen saver works fine, I even left
    it on all night once, but if I let it turn on itself I just get the
    blank screen that is similar to turning off a cable box and leaving
    the TV on.

    --
    If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger.
    ~Frank Lloyd Wright - www.cynode.com | www.cynode.net (NWS)

  7. Re: 10 minute monitor shutdown fix

    On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:01:27 +0000, James J. Dines wrote:

    > Good info! Presumably, though, you meant to write: "your screen saver
    > will now play until your preset blanking time of 45 minutes ...."
    > (rather than 60)
    >
    > No? ... or am I missing something?

    Oops! Typo on my part. You are correct. Thanks.

  8. Re: 10 minute monitor shutdown fix

    On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 13:02:17 -0500, Cynode wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:03:31 GMT, "JTJersey" wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:44:24 -0500, Cynode wrote:
    >>
    >>> I did this, but now it just blanks out in the time that I have set for
    >>> my screen saver. I thought at first it might be the screensaver, but
    >>> it works when I use preview, and when I tried a different screensaver
    >>> it still did this.
    >>>

    >>How are you setting your screen saver?

    > I just realized you had posted this to 2 different ng's so I just saw
    > this reply =)
    >
    > my screen saver is set by right click desktop > configure desktop >
    > screen saver > choose clock > apply
    >
    > when I press the "Test" button my screen saver works fine, I even left
    > it on all night once, but if I let it turn on itself I just get the
    > blank screen that is similar to turning off a cable box and leaving
    > the TV on.

    This must be a KDE thing, I'm using Gnome and right clicking the desktop
    doesn't give me an option like that, but it's something I'll go check on.

  9. Re: 10 minute monitor shutdown fix

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:44:24 -0500, Cynode wrote:

    >>The "BlankTime" "45" meaning 45 minutes before blanking the screen and

    the
    >>"OffTime" "60" meaning 1 hour before the monitor turns off. Set them

    >>whatever you need. Your screen saver will now play until your preset
    >>blanking time of 60 minutes, instead of 10 minutes and the monitor will
    >>actually shut down after whatever time you've set it for. The xorg.conf
    >>file can be found in /etc/X11 and edited in a text editor. You need to be
    >>logged in as Root when you do this otherwise it's a read only file and you
    >>can't save your changes. Restart X server to make it stick.

    > I did this, but now it just blanks out in the time that I have set for
    > my screen saver. I thought at first it might be the screensaver, but
    > it works when I use preview, and when I tried a different screensaver
    > it still did this.

    Anyone try...

    man xset

    ?

  10. Re: 10 minute monitor shutdown fix

    On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 02:46:47 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:44:24 -0500, Cynode wrote:
    >
    >>>The "BlankTime" "45" meaning 45 minutes before blanking the screen and

    > the
    >>>"OffTime" "60" meaning 1 hour before the monitor turns off. Set them

    >>>whatever you need. Your screen saver will now play until your preset
    >>>blanking time of 60 minutes, instead of 10 minutes and the monitor will
    >>>actually shut down after whatever time you've set it for. The xorg.conf
    >>>file can be found in /etc/X11 and edited in a text editor. You need to be
    >>>logged in as Root when you do this otherwise it's a read only file and you
    >>>can't save your changes. Restart X server to make it stick.

    >> I did this, but now it just blanks out in the time that I have set for
    >> my screen saver. I thought at first it might be the screensaver, but
    >> it works when I use preview, and when I tried a different screensaver
    >> it still did this.

    > Anyone try...
    >
    > man xset
    >
    > ?

    Yes. Over and over again. Nothing stuck and nothing changed. This is
    one of those things that people come to expect in an OS. It shouldn't
    take weeks of newsgroup postings and Google searches to find a way to set
    up a screen saver. Something that was always available with the click
    of a mouse in Mandrake/Mandriva prior to Mandriva 2007. Can you set your
    screen saver to kick in at, say 5 minutes, and not have your monitor go
    blank in another 5 minutes?

  11. Re: 10 minute monitor shutdown fix

    On 2006-11-16, JTJersey wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 02:46:47 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:
    >> Anyone try...
    >>
    >> man xset
    >>
    >> ?

    > Yes. Over and over again. Nothing stuck and nothing changed.

    Where did you put the xset command?

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  12. Re: 10 minute monitor shutdown fix

    On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 03:15:35 +0000, JTJersey wrote:

    >> Anyone try...

    >> man xset

    > Yes. Over and over again. Nothing stuck and nothing changed. This is
    > one of those things that people come to expect in an OS. It shouldn't
    > take weeks of newsgroup postings and Google searches to find a way to set
    > up a screen saver. Something that was always available with the click
    > of a mouse in Mandrake/Mandriva prior to Mandriva 2007. Can you set your
    > screen saver to kick in at, say 5 minutes, and not have your monitor go
    > blank in another 5 minutes?

    Well then that is one hell of a bummer. Good you tried that though.

  13. Re: 10 minute monitor shutdown fix

    On 2006-11-14, JTJersey wrote:
    > work around for this. Insert the following lines into xorg.conf in Section
    > "ServerLayout"
    >

    > Option "BlankTime" "45"
    > Option "StandbyTime" "0"
    > Option "SuspendTime" "0"
    > Option "OffTime" "60"

    You also need to ensure DPMS is set as detailed in the links that lead
    to this info, as this enables the communications between the PC and the
    monitor.

    Also I found the KDE Power Control settings (again!) under

    KDE Control -> Peripherals -> Display

    This will allow KDE to manage the settings (probably via xset and
    possibly overriding xorg.conf?? )

    Lordy

  14. Re: 10 minute monitor shutdown fix

    lordy wrote:
    > On 2006-11-14, JTJersey wrote:
    >> work around for this. Insert the following lines into xorg.conf in Section
    >> "ServerLayout"
    >>

    >> Option "BlankTime" "45"
    >> Option "StandbyTime" "0"
    >> Option "SuspendTime" "0"
    >> Option "OffTime" "60"
    >>

    > You also need to ensure DPMS is set as detailed in the links that lead
    > to this info, as this enables the communications between the PC and the
    > monitor.
    >
    > Also I found the KDE Power Control settings (again!) under
    >
    > KDE Control -> Peripherals -> Display
    >
    > This will allow KDE to manage the settings (probably via xset and
    > possibly overriding xorg.conf?? )
    >
    > Lordy

    Thanks for the information lordy! That was my issue. I had to change
    the Display power settings. Works like a charm now.

    --
    ****** Warning - Highly US-Centric .sig approaching! ******
    The only way to differentiate "The War on Terrorism"
    from "The War on Drugs" is to measure the amount of piss
    on the Founding Fathers graves. - James J. Dines

  15. Re: 10 minute monitor shutdown fix

    On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 04:10:35 +0000, lordy wrote:

    > On 2006-11-14, JTJersey wrote:
    >> work around for this. Insert the following lines into xorg.conf in Section
    >> "ServerLayout"
    >>

    >> Option "BlankTime" "45"
    >> Option "StandbyTime" "0"
    >> Option "SuspendTime" "0"
    >> Option "OffTime" "60"
    >>

    > You also need to ensure DPMS is set as detailed in the links that lead
    > to this info, as this enables the communications between the PC and the
    > monitor.
    >
    > Also I found the KDE Power Control settings (again!) under
    >
    > KDE Control -> Peripherals -> Display
    >
    > This will allow KDE to manage the settings (probably via xset and
    > possibly overriding xorg.conf?? )
    >
    > Lordy

    DPMS is disabled with this LCD monitor in my case. The only thing that
    worked for me was the above settings. Weirdness.

+ Reply to Thread