Pan nntp newgroups reader ? - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Pan nntp newgroups reader ? - Mandrake ; How does one config it to read more than one server?...

  1. Pan nntp newgroups reader ?

    How does one config it to read more than one server?

  2. Re: Pan nntp newgroups reader ?

    On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:16:58 -0800, carl wagner wrote:

    > How does one config it to read more than one server?

    You add another one using >Edit>Edit News Servers. At least that's what it
    says. After fadoodling with it for more than an hour I was never certain
    that the other server was being read. Earlier versions permitted one to
    switch back and forth between servers; not the current one. I spose I
    shall have to send them a note, now that you've brought this up.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630N 117.754195W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org

  3. Re: Pan nntp newgroups reader ?

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 02:58:29 +0000, Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > You add another one using >Edit>Edit News Servers. At least that's what it
    > says. After fadoodling with it for more than an hour I was never certain
    > that the other server was being read. Earlier versions permitted one to
    > switch back and forth between servers; not the current one. I spose I
    > shall have to send them a note, now that you've brought this up.

    Most innaressing. Turns out Mandriva's current rpm, 0.112, is pretty far
    back in the chain. Okay, we always have the rpm to fall back upon so we'll
    download the source and compile. Well not so fast: the source wants GTK+-2
    etc and all Mandriva offers is GTK+2 ... ah the joys of open source and
    people who ain't on the same page. I'm rather unwilling to go through the
    trouble of making copies of every gtk... in the machine, so there it
    stands. (Renaming them isn't an option either, I don't think, since that
    might break other compiles....)

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630N 117.754195W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org
    "The two most abundant substance in the Universe are hydrogen
    and stupidity." --Frank Zappa, R.A.Heinlein and many others

  4. Re: Pan nntp newgroups reader ?

    On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:16:58 -0800, carl wagner wrote:

    > How does one config it to read more than one server?

    Under "tools" add a server, then under "server" select desired.
    hope this helps,
    Ed.

  5. Re: Pan nntp newgroups reader ?

    On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 01:52:55 +0000, Ed wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:16:58 -0800, carl wagner wrote:
    >
    >> How does one config it to read more than one server?

    > Under "tools" add a server, then under "server" select desired.
    > hope this helps,
    > Ed.

    Um, it doesn't in the current Mandriva rpm version (0.112). For some
    reason the "server" option on the left column isn't there anymore. I'd
    recommend reverting to a previous version which still has it. (Is this a
    bug, or merely an oversight? and what's the difference? )

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630N 117.754195W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org
    "The two most abundant substance in the Universe are hydrogen
    and stupidity." --Frank Zappa, R.A.Heinlein and many others

  6. Re: Pan nntp newgroups reader ?

    Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 01:52:55 +0000, Ed wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:16:58 -0800, carl wagner wrote:
    > >
    > >> How does one config it to read more than one server?

    > > Under "tools" add a server, then under "server" select desired.
    > > hope this helps,
    > > Ed.
    > >

    > Um, it doesn't in the current Mandriva rpm version (0.112). For some
    > reason the "server" option on the left column isn't there anymore. I'd
    > recommend reverting to a previous version which still has it. (Is this a
    > bug, or merely an oversight? and what's the difference? )

    I'm not at home so I can't check the server options menu but I've found
    updated pan rpms for Mandriva 2007 from Seer of Souls and Mandriva Club
    NL (google for their urpmi repositories).

    I know I currently have 0.119-2 installed from one of the above.

    -Crispus

  7. Re: Pan nntp newgroups reader ?

    On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:48:25 -0500, Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > Um, it doesn't in the current Mandriva rpm version (0.112). For some
    > reason the "server" option on the left column isn't there anymore. I'd

    In 0.112, select Edit, Edit News Servers, then click on Add.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  8. Re: Pan nntp newgroups reader ?

    On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:00:07 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:48:25 -0500, Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> Um, it doesn't in the current Mandriva rpm version (0.112). For some
    >> reason the "server" option on the left column isn't there anymore. I'd

    > In 0.112, select Edit, Edit News Servers, then click on Add.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Dave, that's all very well. But my point in the above post is that there's
    no way of USING them--one doesn't know if one is logging into one or both
    or more of the servers and there is no option for choosing which one, as
    there was in earlier versions.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630N 117.754195W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org
    "The two most abundant substance in the Universe are hydrogen
    and stupidity." --Frank Zappa, R.A.Heinlein and many others

  9. Re: Pan nntp newgroups reader ?

    On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 17:48:25 +0000, Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 01:52:55 +0000, Ed wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:16:58 -0800, carl wagner wrote:
    >>
    >>> How does one config it to read more than one server?

    >> Under "tools" add a server, then under "server" select desired.
    >> hope this helps,
    >> Ed.
    >>

    > Um, it doesn't in the current Mandriva rpm version (0.112). For some
    > reason the "server" option on the left column isn't there anymore. I'd
    > recommend reverting to a previous version which still has it. (Is this a
    > bug, or merely an oversight? and what's the difference? )

    Have a look at Edit/Edit news servers and then add in the new window.

    --
    Neil
    swap 'ra' and delete 'l' for email

  10. Re: Pan nntp newgroups reader ?

    On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 21:55:15 -0500, Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > Dave, that's all very well. But my point in the above post is that there's
    > no way of USING them--one doesn't know if one is logging into one or both
    > or more of the servers and there is no option for choosing which one, as
    > there was in earlier versions.

    Wireshare, or even netstat -tap should show the connections.
    I agree there doesn't seem to say "check only this server" for
    new headers.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  11. Re: Pan nntp newgroups reader ?

    On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 23:50:35 -0600, Neil Ellwood wrote:

    > Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mandrake
    > Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 23:50:35 -0600
    >
    > On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 17:48:25 +0000, Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    >>> Under "tools" add a server, then under "server" select desired. hope
    >>> this helps,
    >>> Ed.
    >>>

    >> Um, it doesn't in the current Mandriva rpm version (0.112). For some
    >> reason the "server" option on the left column isn't there anymore. I'd
    >> recommend reverting to a previous version which still has it. (Is this a
    >> bug, or merely an oversight? and what's the difference? )
    >>

    > Have a look at Edit/Edit news servers and then add in the new window.

    No, thanks. I just looked around for an older Mandriva RPM and reverted to
    0.14.2.9. There oughta be a law against people who release alpha versions
    as eta.

  12. Re: Pan nntp newgroups reader ?

    On 2006-11-23, Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    > ... There oughta be a law against people who release alpha versions
    > as eta.

    Please be careful what you wish for. Do you really want
    that? If that were to happen, Micro$oft would be unable to
    ever again release any software, and all the clue-impaired
    masses would be forced to flock here and flood the newsgroup
    with huge numbers of clueless questions. 1/2 ;-)

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net