Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time - Mandrake ; After setting up Mandriva 2007 on my desktop computer several weeks ago, I was searching for hints as to why my screen saver was not working and why there was no power management to adjust when the monitor goes blank. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    After setting up Mandriva 2007 on my desktop computer several weeks ago, I
    was searching for hints as to why my screen saver was not working and why
    there was no power management to adjust when the monitor goes blank. I use
    Gnome and there is a screen saver option to adjust when the screen saver
    kicks in, but not how long it will run until the monitor blanks out. I
    never resolved the problem, but now it seems that I was wrong. The screen
    saver is actually working all the time, it's a matter of my LCD monitor
    going blank after 10 minutes of idle time, no matter what I do. If,for
    example, I set the idle time at 3 minutes, the screen saver will start,
    but after 7 more minutes of idle time my LCD goes blank. However, if I
    just slightly touch the mouse after the LCD goes blank, the screen saver
    re-appears and seeing the CPU spikes indicated in GKrellm it's obvious the
    screen saver was running. Only after I move the mouse substantially or
    press a key does the screen saver return me to my desktop.

    So why would my monitor go blank after 10 minuets of idle time even if the
    screen saver option is turned off?

  2. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 14:51:58 +0000, JTJersey wrote:

    > So why would my monitor go blank after 10 minuets of idle time even if the
    > screen saver option is turned off?

    It's a part of power management and has nothing to do with the screen
    saver which doesn't reduce power but only manipulates the screen image.
    Check ACPI howto in the docs.

  3. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:48:24 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 14:51:58 +0000, JTJersey wrote:
    >
    >> So why would my monitor go blank after 10 minuets of idle time even if the
    >> screen saver option is turned off?

    > It's a part of power management and has nothing to do with the screen
    > saver which doesn't reduce power but only manipulates the screen image.
    > Check ACPI howto in the docs.

    So the problem appears to be that I can't get control of my power
    management. This was always easy in previous versions of
    Mandrake/Mandriva, but seems to be non-existent in Mandriva 2007. It
    appears that they fix 5 things and break something else in every new
    release. Does power management work for you or are you not using 2007?

  4. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 18:57:30 +0000, JTJersey wrote:

    > On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:48:24 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 14:51:58 +0000, JTJersey wrote:
    >>
    >>> So why would my monitor go blank after 10 minuets of idle time even if the
    >>> screen saver option is turned off?

    >> It's a part of power management and has nothing to do with the screen
    >> saver which doesn't reduce power but only manipulates the screen image.
    >> Check ACPI howto in the docs.
    >>

    > So the problem appears to be that I can't get control of my power
    > management. This was always easy in previous versions of
    > Mandrake/Mandriva, but seems to be non-existent in Mandriva 2007. It
    > appears that they fix 5 things and break something else in every new
    > release. Does power management work for you or are you not using 2007?

    Got 2005LE with custom kernel on this machine and it blanks the screen
    just like it should. The one in the bedroom I watch TV on has default 2007
    on it and it blanks the screen too, just like I want it to. Why waste
    energy and burn the screen if you aren't using it?

  5. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 09:51:58 -0500, JTJersey wrote:

    > So why would my monitor go blank after 10 minuets of idle time even if the
    > screen saver option is turned off?

    man xset, specifically try adding the following to a script in
    ..kde/Autostart

    #!/bin/sh
    xset s noblank
    xset s noexpose
    xset s off
    xset -dpms

    Also check your bios settings for automatic standby, in power management.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 20:33:10 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

    >> So the problem appears to be that I can't get control of my power
    >> management. This was always easy in previous versions of
    >> Mandrake/Mandriva, but seems to be non-existent in Mandriva 2007. It
    >> appears that they fix 5 things and break something else in every new
    >> release. Does power management work for you or are you not using 2007?

    > Got 2005LE with custom kernel on this machine and it blanks the screen
    > just like it should. The one in the bedroom I watch TV on has default 2007
    > on it and it blanks the screen too, just like I want it to. Why waste
    > energy and burn the screen if you aren't using it?

    Did you deliberately set your 2007 to blank the screen or does it just
    always do it with no control over the time delay before blanking?

  7. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    On 2006-11-12, JTJersey wrote:

    > So the problem appears to be that I can't get control of my power
    > management. This was always easy in previous versions of
    > Mandrake/Mandriva, but seems to be non-existent in Mandriva 2007. It
    > appears that they fix 5 things and break something else in every new
    > release. Does power management work for you or are you not using 2007?

    I've had trouble finding the power menus in 2007 now that you mention
    it!
    You can add the power settings for the monitor directly to your
    xorg.conf file.

    http://www.shallowsky.com/linux/x-screen-blanking.html

    Lordy

  8. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 22:53:27 +0000, lordy wrote:

    > On 2006-11-12, JTJersey wrote:
    >>
    >> So the problem appears to be that I can't get control of my power
    >> management. This was always easy in previous versions of
    >> Mandrake/Mandriva, but seems to be non-existent in Mandriva 2007. It
    >> appears that they fix 5 things and break something else in every new
    >> release. Does power management work for you or are you not using 2007?

    > I've had trouble finding the power menus in 2007 now that you mention
    > it!
    > You can add the power settings for the monitor directly to your
    > xorg.conf file.
    >
    > http://www.shallowsky.com/linux/x-screen-blanking.html
    >
    > Lordy

    Very interesting read, but nothing seems to stick. To make matters worse,
    it appears that the screen isn't even actually turning off after the
    default 10 minutes, it's simply going black while the backlights are still
    lit offering absolutely no power savings at all ! Did any of his
    suggestions work for you?

  9. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    Why waste
    > energy and burn the screen if you aren't using it?

    How is it going to burn the screen?, didn't the OP say it was a LCD.

    Dave

  10. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    "JTJersey" wrote in message
    news:iyG5h.104564$hv5.94810@fe49.usenetserver.com. ..
    > So why would my monitor go blank after 10 minutes of idle time even if the
    > screen saver option is turned off?

    I had a similar situation with slightly different symptoms (screen image
    scrambled after ten minutes as resolution changed to a value out of the
    monitor's range) in Mdk 9.1.

    In my case the trigger was in the computer's BIOS, not the OS. It was a
    dual-boot computer and Windows XP Pro responded appropriately to the BIOS
    signal (went to sleep, wake on any input), but Mandrake just locked up
    solid.

    Go to your BIOS SETUP and scout around. See if you can find Power
    Management controls and find out if there is anything set for ten minutes.

    --
    P.

  11. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    On 2006-11-12, JTJersey wrote:
    > After setting up Mandriva 2007 on my desktop computer several weeks ago, I
    > was searching for hints as to why my screen saver was not working and why
    > there was no power management to adjust when the monitor goes blank. I use
    > Gnome and there is a screen saver option to adjust when the screen saver
    > kicks in, but not how long it will run until the monitor blanks out. I
    > never resolved the problem, but now it seems that I was wrong. The screen
    > saver is actually working all the time, it's a matter of my LCD monitor
    > going blank after 10 minutes of idle time, no matter what I do. If,for
    > example, I set the idle time at 3 minutes, the screen saver will start,
    > but after 7 more minutes of idle time my LCD goes blank. However, if I
    > just slightly touch the mouse after the LCD goes blank, the screen saver
    > re-appears and seeing the CPU spikes indicated in GKrellm it's obvious the
    > screen saver was running. Only after I move the mouse substantially or
    > press a key does the screen saver return me to my desktop.
    >
    > So why would my monitor go blank after 10 minuets of idle time even if the
    > screen saver option is turned off?

    This same question was multi-posted to
    alt.os.linux.mandriva. To the OP, if you must post to
    multiple newsgroups, crossposting is better than
    multiposting. Post once, with a comma between the names of
    the newsgroups.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  12. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 18:30:49 +0000, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    >> So why would my monitor go blank after 10 minuets of idle time even if
    >> the screen saver option is turned off?

    > This same question was multi-posted to alt.os.linux.mandriva. To the
    > OP, if you must post to multiple newsgroups, crossposting is better than
    > multiposting. Post once, with a comma between the names of the
    > newsgroups.

    Hmm, I thought cross posting was frowned upon. I don't usually do either,
    but I know that some people don't have access to alt.os.linux.mandriva, in
    fact I didn't until a couple of months ago, and this problem has been
    bugging me since I installed 2007. I'll keep that in mind though, thanks.

  13. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    On 2006-11-13, JTJersey wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 22:53:27 +0000, lordy wrote:
    >>
    >> http://www.shallowsky.com/linux/x-screen-blanking.html
    >>

    > Very interesting read, but nothing seems to stick. To make matters worse,
    > it appears that the screen isn't even actually turning off after the
    > default 10 minutes, it's simply going black while the backlights are still
    > lit offering absolutely no power savings at all ! Did any of his
    > suggestions work for you?

    Yes but only with noapic apci settings (from memory. Two completely
    yucky acronyms to have side by side.. )

    Did you try the final vbetool thing?
    I'm assuming you were also restarting you X-Server after chaning
    xorg.conf?

    Lordy

  14. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    On 2006-11-13, JTJersey wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 18:30:49 +0000, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >

    >>> So why would my monitor go blank after 10 minuets of idle time even if
    >>> the screen saver option is turned off?

    >> This same question was multi-posted to alt.os.linux.mandriva. To the
    >> OP, if you must post to multiple newsgroups, crossposting is better than
    >> multiposting. Post once, with a comma between the names of the
    >> newsgroups.
    >>

    > Hmm, I thought cross posting was frowned upon. I don't usually do either,
    > but I know that some people don't have access to alt.os.linux.mandriva, in
    > fact I didn't until a couple of months ago, and this problem has been
    > bugging me since I installed 2007. I'll keep that in mind though, thanks.

    Cross-posting can be frowned on if done inappropriately.
    However, in any situation, multi-posting is worse than
    cross-posting, because it consumes additional bandwidth and
    storage space. It also creates multiple distinct threads,
    one per group, so those in one newsgroup don't see the
    answers in the other group(s).

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  15. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 23:43:35 +0000, lordy wrote:

    > On 2006-11-13, JTJersey wrote:
    >> On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 22:53:27 +0000, lordy wrote:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.shallowsky.com/linux/x-screen-blanking.html
    >>>

    >> Very interesting read, but nothing seems to stick. To make matters
    >> worse, it appears that the screen isn't even actually turning off after
    >> the default 10 minutes, it's simply going black while the backlights
    >> are still lit offering absolutely no power savings at all ! Did any of
    >> his suggestions work for you?
    >>

    > Yes but only with noapic apci settings (from memory. Two completely
    > yucky acronyms to have side by side.. )
    >
    > Did you try the final vbetool thing?
    > I'm assuming you were also restarting you X-Server after chaning
    > xorg.conf?
    >
    > Lordy

    Yes, I've restarted X, but nothing changes. At exactly 10 minutes of idle
    time the LCD monitor still goes black. The vbetool option just gave me a
    "command not found" response. A "which vbetool" comes up empty. How are
    you incorporating "noapic apci" into this if I may ask?

  16. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 02:59:27 +0000, JTJersey wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 23:43:35 +0000, lordy wrote:

    >>> Very interesting read, but nothing seems to stick. To make matters
    >>> worse, it appears that the screen isn't even actually turning off
    >>> after the default 10 minutes, it's simply going black while the
    >>> backlights are still lit offering absolutely no power savings at all !
    >>> Did any of his suggestions work for you?
    >>>

    >> Yes but only with noapic apci settings (from memory. Two completely
    >> yucky acronyms to have side by side.. )
    >>
    >> Did you try the final vbetool thing?
    >> I'm assuming you were also restarting you X-Server after chaning
    >> xorg.conf?
    >>
    >> Lordy

    > Yes, I've restarted X, but nothing changes. At exactly 10 minutes of
    > idle time the LCD monitor still goes black. The vbetool option just
    > gave me a "command not found" response. A "which vbetool" comes up
    > empty. How are you incorporating "noapic apci" into this if I may ask?

    Ok, here's what seems to be working for me at the moment. I'm still
    skeptical, but it's the first time I've gotten results. I included these
    lines in xorg.conf in Section "ServerLayout"

    Option "BlankTime" "45"
    Option "StandbyTime" "0"
    Option "SuspendTime" "0"
    Option "OffTime" "60"

    "BlankTime" "45" meaning 45 minutes before blanking the screen and
    "OffTime" "60" meaning 1 hour before the monitor turns off. At this
    point all I know is that so far my screensaver has kept running for more
    than 10 minutes without the monitor blanking out. I'm going to leave it
    alone now and see if the whole sequence works. I'll post back.

  17. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 03:44:50 +0000, JTJersey wrote:

    > Ok, here's what seems to be working for me at the moment. I'm still
    > skeptical, but it's the first time I've gotten results. I included
    > these lines in xorg.conf in Section "ServerLayout"
    >
    > Option "BlankTime" "45"
    > Option "StandbyTime" "0"
    > Option "SuspendTime" "0"
    > Option "OffTime" "60"
    >
    > "BlankTime" "45" meaning 45 minutes before blanking the screen and
    > "OffTime" "60" meaning 1 hour before the monitor turns off. At this
    > point all I know is that so far my screensaver has kept running for more
    > than 10 minutes without the monitor blanking out. I'm going to leave it
    > alone now and see if the whole sequence works. I'll post back.

    This worked out just fine. I now have my screen saver back and the montor
    blanks out when I tell it to. Thanks to everyone who helped out and sorry
    about the issue of multi-posting to alt.os.linux.mandriva. I'm going to
    CROSS post this information into both newsgroups in case anybody else has
    this issue. Thanks again.

  18. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    > GUEST wrote:
    > After setting up Mandriva 2007 on my desktop computer several weeks

    ago, I
    > was searching for hints as to why my screen saver was not working

    and why
    > there was no power management to adjust when the monitor goes

    blank. I use
    > Gnome and there is a screen saver option to adjust when the screen

    saver
    > kicks in, but not how long it will run until the monitor blanks

    out. I
    > never resolved the problem, but now it seems that I was wrong. The

    screen
    > saver is actually working all the time, it's a matter of my LCD

    monitor
    > going blank after 10 minutes of idle time, no matter what I do.

    If,for
    > example, I set the idle time at 3 minutes, the screen saver will

    start,
    > but after 7 more minutes of idle time my LCD goes blank. However,

    if I
    > just slightly touch the mouse after the LCD goes blank, the screen

    saver
    > re-appears and seeing the CPU spikes indicated in GKrellm it's

    obvious the
    > screen saver was running. Only after I move the mouse substantially

    or
    > press a key does the screen saver return me to my desktop.
    >
    > So why would my monitor go blank after 10 minuets of idle time even

    if the
    > screen saver option is turned off?

    Hi..

    I am very new to Linux and just installed Mandriva. I am having the
    same issue where my screen goes blank after 10 minutes of disuse-
    making watching dvds near impossible. I was wondering if there was
    ever a resolution to this problem and if so could someone give me
    some advice on how to stop it.

    Thanks.

  19. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 03:14:13 -0400, hecticmetric wrote:

    > > After setting up Mandriva 2007 on my desktop computer several weeks

    > ago, I
    > > was searching for hints as to why my screen saver was not working

    > and why
    > > there was no power management to adjust when the monitor goes

    > blank. I use

    You should have System/Preferences/Powermanagment, where you can control
    how long to wait for blanking, or disable blanking.

    I'm currently using 2007.1, If you don't have that optiong there, post back
    whether you're using 2007, or 2007.1, and I'll check to see which package
    that menu item is part of.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  20. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    On 2007-06-08, hecticmetric wrote:

    > I am very new to Linux and just installed Mandriva. I am having the
    > same issue where my screen goes blank after 10 minutes of disuse-
    > making watching dvds near impossible. I was wondering if there was
    > ever a resolution to this problem and if so could someone give me
    > some advice on how to stop it.

    Does "man xset" help?

    xset -dpms

    (turns off energy saving)

    xset +dpms

    (turns it on)

    xset -q

    (will tell you whether it's on or off)

    That's as far as my knowledge goes on the subject.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast