Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time - Mandrake ; On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 12:01:43 -0400, Curt wrote: > Does "man xset" help? > xset -dpms I haven't experimented as much with Gnome, but with KDE, for the screen server to work dpms must be enabled. The standy time, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 12:01:43 -0400, Curt wrote:

    > Does "man xset" help?
    > xset -dpms

    I haven't experimented as much with Gnome, but with KDE, for the
    screen server to work dpms must be enabled.

    The standy time, etc, are over-ridden by kde. You must change
    the settings in kcontrol/Peripherals/Display, on the Power Control
    tab.

    In Gonme, select System/Preferences/Power Management, and slide the
    "Put display to sleep" all the way to the right, to select never.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  2. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    On 2007-06-08, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 12:01:43 -0400, Curt wrote:
    >
    >> Does "man xset" help?
    >> xset -dpms

    > I haven't experimented as much with Gnome, but with KDE, for the
    > screen server to work dpms must be enabled.

    Well, he wants to play dvds--presumably without the "screen-saver"
    kicking in. I put it in quotes because it's an anachronism; I mean it's
    an obsolete concept now, and doesn't save anything at all, and certainly
    not your screen.

    > The standy time, etc, are over-ridden by kde. You must change
    > the settings in kcontrol/Peripherals/Display, on the Power Control
    > tab.

    So you can't disable DPMS nor set delays by executing "xset" with the
    proper arguments at the command line when you want to watch a dvd? I
    doubt whether settings would be over-ridden without starting a new
    session. It certainly would be quicker

    xset -dpms

    and off you go.

    Of course, on my machine mplayer turns it off for you when it plays a
    video. So does vlc apparently. So the whole problem doesn't come up
    for me at all.

    > In Gonme, select System/Preferences/Power Management, and slide the
    > "Put display to sleep" all the way to the right, to select never.

    I'm running fluxbox. What did the OP say he was running? Or the other
    guy?

  3. Re: Monitor going blank after 10 minutes idle time

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 02:14:13 -0500, hecticmetric writ:

    > I am very new to Linux and just installed Mandriva. I am having the
    > same issue where my screen goes blank after 10 minutes of disuse-
    > making watching dvds near impossible.

    Mplayer did this to me, so I started using Totem to watch movies. No more
    problem.

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`ˇ..ˇ¯`ˇ-> freemontŠ <-ˇ¯`ˇ..ˇ¯