gconfd messages when gnome NOT running locally - Mandrake

This is a discussion on gconfd messages when gnome NOT running locally - Mandrake ; Our NFS/YP/SMB/etc. server has been logging these: Oct 24 10:15:51 theserver gconfd (root-821): starting (version 2.10.1), pid 821 user 'root' Oct 24 10:15:51 theserver gconfd (root-821): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only configuration source at position 0 Oct 24 10:15:51 ...

  1. gconfd messages when gnome NOT running locally

    Our NFS/YP/SMB/etc. server has been logging these:

    Oct 24 10:15:51 theserver gconfd (root-821): starting (version 2.10.1),
    pid 821 user 'root'
    Oct 24 10:15:51 theserver gconfd (root-821): Resolved address
    "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only
    configuration source at position 0
    Oct 24 10:15:51 theserver gconfd (root-821): Resolved address
    "xml:readwrite:/root/.gconf" to a writable configuration source at
    position 1
    Oct 24 10:15:51 theserver gconfd (root-821): Resolved address
    "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only
    configuration source at position 2
    Oct 24 10:17:51 theserver gconfd (root-821): GConf server is not in use,
    shutting down.
    Oct 24 10:17:51 theserver gconfd (root-821): Exiting

    The server has the blackbox window manager running, but
    there is NO use of gnome on this box. In fact the end users cannot
    even log onto it through ssh or at the console.
    They can of course mount disks that it exports. Something
    happening on the client workstations seems
    to be triggering these messages, I'd guess gnome startups or
    shutdowns. Oddly "locate gconfd" doesn't even find a program
    by that name on the server. It does find a plethora of .gconfd
    entries in the user's home folders though. The only thing
    relevant in rpm seems to be GConf2-2.10.1-2mdk. This
    is a Mandriva 2006 system.

    Can somebody please explain exactly which binary or script
    is generating these messages? Also how is it being started
    from the workstations since no gconf related names appear
    in either "rpcinfo -p" or "lsof -i"?

    Thanks,

    David Mathog

  2. Re: gconfd messages when gnome NOT running locally

    David Mathog wrote:
    > Our NFS/YP/SMB/etc. server has been logging these:

    I've discovered that starting firefox 1.5.0.7 (downloaded from
    www.mozilla.com) causes these. WHY???? As I mentioned before,
    the console is running blackbox. Starting firefox from an rxvt session
    running over a putty ssh tunnel to a copy of Starnet Xwin-32 4.01 on XP
    generates the message. Notice the total absence of "gnome" anywhere in
    that configuration.

    At least it has nothing to do with the client workstations. That's good
    because it looked like a security hole otherwise.

    Thanks,

    David Mathog

+ Reply to Thread