Compiz gives really large fonts - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Compiz gives really large fonts - Mandrake ; Hey This is really bugging me. Whenever I enable the Compiz 3D things, all fonts are about twice as large as usual in KDE and Gnome apps. I was hoping to find some kind of dpi setting in gset-compiz or ...

  1. Compiz gives really large fonts

    Hey

    This is really bugging me. Whenever I enable the Compiz 3D things, all
    fonts are about twice as large as usual in KDE and Gnome apps. I was
    hoping to find some kind of dpi setting in gset-compiz or gconf-editor,
    but I failed to do so. If I turn off Compiz, everything returns to
    normal. I'd really prefer not to lower the DPI setting in
    gnome-control-center because whenever I want to use Cedega, I have to
    turn off Compiz, or GL acceleration will be turned off in Cedega.

    My screen resolution is 1400x1050. I noticed that if I use xrandr to
    switch to a lower resolution while using Compiz, if I open a new
    application, the fonts will be scaled to match the new resolution. So
    I'm guessing it has to do with my resolution being 1400x1050. Like
    Compiz thinks that fonts should always have a certain size on the
    screen for readability. But I don't care for these big big fonts, I
    like to use the screen real estate instead. And if I just lower the
    point size, then the next time I turn off Compiz and use the regular
    KDE, the fonts will be extremely small.

    Please help. How do I get the size of the Compiz fonts to match those
    of "regular" KDE and Gnome?

    Thank you,
    Daniel

  2. Re: Compiz gives really large fonts [SOLVED]

    Here's what you do:

    Edit, as root:
    /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc

    Find the line with "ServerArgsLocal" - mine said:
    ServerArgsLocal=-deferglyphs 16

    I added "-dpi 96" to this line, i.e.
    ServerArgsLocal=-deferglyphs 16 -dpi 96

    Compiz is really flaky on my puter, so I had to restart. Maybe cause
    I'm using an ATI card, I dunno... Anyway, it works now Even the
    window decorations are properly sized now!!! Yay!

    Cheers,
    Daniel

+ Reply to Thread