setting up an NFS server - Mandrake

This is a discussion on setting up an NFS server - Mandrake ; Now that I have my new system up and running, I wish to set up my old system as a server - file and print. I have two other computers that I will eventually connect up as well. What I ...

  1. setting up an NFS server

    Now that I have my new system up and running, I wish to set up my old system
    as a server - file and print. I have two other computers that I will
    eventually connect up as well.

    What I think I want to do is set up the server (Celeron 900MHz) so that it
    stores and via NFS, shares /home/* to the workstations. I believe that
    will give me what I would like, which is to be able to log in on any of the
    three workstations and have the /home mapped back to the server.

    Net result, I hope, is to be able to log in anywhere and have full access to
    my personal files and settings. The same would apply to my family and
    occasional friends that use any of the three workstations.

    Will this work? Is this the best way to go about sharing the files and
    settings? Can you recommend any websites to read before I attempt this?
    How would would you suggest I proceed?

    Thanks, Carolyn
    --
    Carolyn Marenger

  2. Re: setting up an NFS server

    On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 15:05:31 -0400, carolyn wrote:

    > Can you recommend any websites to read before I attempt this?

    http://tldp.org nfs file server in the search box.

  3. Re: setting up an NFS server

    carolyn wrote:
    > Now that I have my new system up and running, I wish to set up my old system
    > as a server - file and print. I have two other computers that I will
    > eventually connect up as well.
    >
    > What I think I want to do is set up the server (Celeron 900MHz) so that it
    > stores and via NFS, shares /home/* to the workstations. I believe that
    > will give me what I would like, which is to be able to log in on any of the
    > three workstations and have the /home mapped back to the server.
    >
    > Net result, I hope, is to be able to log in anywhere and have full access to
    > my personal files and settings. The same would apply to my family and
    > occasional friends that use any of the three workstations.
    >
    > Will this work? Is this the best way to go about sharing the files and
    > settings? Can you recommend any websites to read before I attempt this?
    > How would would you suggest I proceed?
    >
    > Thanks, Carolyn
    > --
    > Carolyn Marenger

    Carolyn,
    Depending on your situation, NFS may not be your answer. if all 3
    workstations ran linux, Yes, NFS.
    If they are windows boxes. you want to use SMB with a VPN client.

    jschof, u457794
    Unification Wars

  4. Re: setting up an NFS server

    On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 15:05:31 -0400, carolyn wrote:

    > Net result, I hope, is to be able to log in anywhere and have full access to
    > my personal files and settings.

    Settings might be tricky. Remember you have to be a user on the
    workstation, which will have its directory and settings. Still nothing in
    copying your prefered user settings to all the workstations.

    Of course you could always split X sever and client onto seperate
    machines. Then you can log in and hey presto its like you are another
    machine. Need a fast network connection otherwise its slow. Also
    complicates matters as more parts to it.

    Start with NFS and/or Samba. Linux will do Samba Linux to Linux box, but
    NFS is better.

+ Reply to Thread