Mandriva x86_64 installation failure - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Mandriva x86_64 installation failure - Mandrake ; Ok guys, Can you help me with this one? On installation, I am getting the following error message: ----- Error Could not mount compressed loopback . [ OK ] ----- The last few lines of the log ----- * found ...

  1. Mandriva x86_64 installation failure

    -----
    Error
    Could not mount compressed loopback .
    [ OK ]
    -----

    The last few lines of the log
    -----

    * found a Madriva CDROM, good news!
    * total memory: 448 Mbytes
    * mount_clp_map_preload: /sysroot/tmp/image//install/stage2//mdkinst.clp
    into /sysroot/tmp/stage2 (preload = 1)
    * have to insmod loop
    * needs loop
    * succeeded loop
    * /dev/loop0 is available
    * have to insmod cryptoloop
    * needs cryptoloop
    * succeeded cryptoloop
    * have to insmod zlib_inflate
    * /modules/modules.mar: No such file or directory
    * warning, insmod failed (zlib_inflate (null)) (1)
    * have to insmod gzloop
    * needs gzloop
    * succeeded gzloop
    * set_loop failed on /dev/loop0 (Invalid argument)
    * unsetting automatic
    * exiting bootsplash
    -----

    Any ideas as to what might be going on, and more importantly how I proceed?

    Thanks, Carolyn
    --
    Carolyn Marenger

  2. Re: Mandriva x86_64 installation failure

    carolyn wrote:

    > Ok guys,
    >
    > Can you help me with this one?
    >
    > On installation, I am getting the following error message:
    >
    > -----
    > Error
    > Could not mount compressed loopback .
    > [ OK ]
    > -----
    >
    > The last few lines of the log
    > -----
    >
    > * found a Madriva CDROM, good news!
    > * total memory: 448 Mbytes
    > * mount_clp_map_preload: /sysroot/tmp/image//install/stage2//mdkinst.clp
    > into /sysroot/tmp/stage2 (preload = 1)
    > * have to insmod loop
    > * needs loop
    > * succeeded loop
    > * /dev/loop0 is available
    > * have to insmod cryptoloop
    > * needs cryptoloop
    > * succeeded cryptoloop
    > * have to insmod zlib_inflate
    > * /modules/modules.mar: No such file or directory
    > * warning, insmod failed (zlib_inflate (null)) (1)
    > * have to insmod gzloop
    > * needs gzloop
    > * succeeded gzloop
    > * set_loop failed on /dev/loop0 (Invalid argument)
    > * unsetting automatic
    > * exiting bootsplash
    > -----
    >
    > Any ideas as to what might be going on, and more importantly how I
    > proceed?
    >
    > Thanks, Carolyn

    It looks like a corrupted CD/DVD.
    --
    Rgds.
    Edward

  3. Re: Mandriva x86_64 installation failure

    carolyn enlightened us alt.os.linux.mandrake-(ab)users with:

    > Ok guys,
    >
    > Can you help me with this one?
    >
    > On installation, I am getting the following error message:
    >
    > -----
    > Error
    > Could not mount compressed loopback .
    > [ OK ]
    > -----
    >
    > The last few lines of the log
    > -----
    >
    > * found a Madriva CDROM, good news!
    > * total memory: 448 Mbytes
    > * mount_clp_map_preload:
    > /sysroot/tmp/image//install/stage2//mdkinst.clp into
    > /sysroot/tmp/stage2 (preload = 1) * have to insmod loop
    > * needs loop
    > * succeeded loop
    > * /dev/loop0 is available
    > * have to insmod cryptoloop
    > * needs cryptoloop
    > * succeeded cryptoloop
    > * have to insmod zlib_inflate
    > * /modules/modules.mar: No such file or directory
    > * warning, insmod failed (zlib_inflate (null)) (1)

    After also reading your previous thread about the boot difficulties with
    that dvd, I suspect you got a "weak burn" (too high speed? too low
    quality/incompatible media?) and you would run into mysterious troubles
    even if you get it to find zlib_deflate one other time.
    If you still have the iso file, burn it again with lower speed setting
    and a good brand of dvd media.
    Your dvd burner might also reach it's end of life ...

  4. Re: Mandriva x86_64 installation failure

    Walter Mautner wrote:

    > carolyn enlightened us alt.os.linux.mandrake-(ab)users with:
    >
    >> Ok guys,
    >>
    >> Can you help me with this one?
    >>
    >> On installation, I am getting the following error message:
    >>
    >> -----
    >> Error
    >> Could not mount compressed loopback .
    >> [ OK ]
    >> -----
    >>
    >> The last few lines of the log
    >> -----
    >>
    >> * found a Madriva CDROM, good news!
    >> * total memory: 448 Mbytes
    >> * mount_clp_map_preload:
    >> /sysroot/tmp/image//install/stage2//mdkinst.clp into
    >> /sysroot/tmp/stage2 (preload = 1) * have to insmod loop
    >> * needs loop
    >> * succeeded loop
    >> * /dev/loop0 is available
    >> * have to insmod cryptoloop
    >> * needs cryptoloop
    >> * succeeded cryptoloop
    >> * have to insmod zlib_inflate
    >> * /modules/modules.mar: No such file or directory
    >> * warning, insmod failed (zlib_inflate (null)) (1)

    > After also reading your previous thread about the boot difficulties with
    > that dvd, I suspect you got a "weak burn" (too high speed? too low
    > quality/incompatible media?) and you would run into mysterious troubles
    > even if you get it to find zlib_deflate one other time.
    > If you still have the iso file, burn it again with lower speed setting
    > and a good brand of dvd media.
    > Your dvd burner might also reach it's end of life ...

    I will give that a shot. Hopefully you are correct. As far as the DVD
    burner reaching the end of its life... I hope not - as it has only burned 2
    DVDs in it's life.

    Thanks for the suggestion!

    Carolyn

    --
    Carolyn Marenger

  5. Re: Mandriva x86_64 installation failure

    Edward wrote:

    > carolyn wrote:
    >
    >> Ok guys,
    >>
    >> Can you help me with this one?
    >>
    >> On installation, I am getting the following error message:
    >>
    >> -----
    >> Error
    >> Could not mount compressed loopback .
    >> [ OK ]
    >> -----
    >>
    >> The last few lines of the log
    >> -----
    >>
    >> * found a Madriva CDROM, good news!
    >> * total memory: 448 Mbytes
    >> * mount_clp_map_preload: /sysroot/tmp/image//install/stage2//mdkinst.clp
    >> into /sysroot/tmp/stage2 (preload = 1)
    >> * have to insmod loop
    >> * needs loop
    >> * succeeded loop
    >> * /dev/loop0 is available
    >> * have to insmod cryptoloop
    >> * needs cryptoloop
    >> * succeeded cryptoloop
    >> * have to insmod zlib_inflate
    >> * /modules/modules.mar: No such file or directory
    >> * warning, insmod failed (zlib_inflate (null)) (1)
    >> * have to insmod gzloop
    >> * needs gzloop
    >> * succeeded gzloop
    >> * set_loop failed on /dev/loop0 (Invalid argument)
    >> * unsetting automatic
    >> * exiting bootsplash
    >> -----
    >>
    >> Any ideas as to what might be going on, and more importantly how I
    >> proceed?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Carolyn

    > It looks like a corrupted CD/DVD.

    I am going to burn it again, and see what happens this time. After that I
    am going to downgrade back to the 2006 I am currently using. Wish me luck!

    Carolyn
    --
    Carolyn Marenger

  6. Re: New DVD burn and it works!

    carolyn wrote:

    Thanks for all the help. It is now installed. Burning a new DVD seems to
    have solved all the problems. I don't know if it was a faulty disk, a bad
    burn, or an issue with the DVD drive itself. Slowing it down to a 4x write
    from the default 12x did fix the problem. I will be keeping an eye on it!

    Again, thanks!

    Carolyn
    --
    Carolyn Marenger