rpm broken - Mandrake

This is a discussion on rpm broken - Mandrake ; Hi, When in rpmdrake I cannot install anymore and rpm takes over all of the cpu. I tried to rebuild the database, but get an error there also. [root@pcm Linux]# rpm --rebuilddb error: Macro %_install_langs has empty body Any clue ...

  1. rpm broken

    Hi,

    When in rpmdrake I cannot install anymore and rpm takes over all of the cpu.

    I tried to rebuild the database, but get an error there also.

    [root@pcm Linux]# rpm --rebuilddb
    error: Macro %_install_langs has empty body

    Any clue ?

    Thanks,

    hg

  2. Re: rpm broken

    On 2006-10-18, hg wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > When in rpmdrake I cannot install anymore and rpm takes over all of the cpu.
    >
    > I tried to rebuild the database, but get an error there also.
    >
    > [root@pcm Linux]# rpm --rebuilddb
    > error: Macro %_install_langs has empty body
    >

    > Any clue ?

    I don't have a clue about the rpm problem, other than that
    it doesn't look like a good thing to have happen. If 'rpm
    --rebuilddb' doesn't work, that's bad.

    However, I do have a clue about multi-posting
    vs. cross-posting. What you did, separately posting the
    same content into two different newsgroups, here and
    alt.os.linux.mandriva, is called multi-posting and is
    considered a rather bad thing. If needed, cross-posting is
    better than multi-posting. To cross-post, put the names of
    both newsgroups with a comma between them.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  3. Re: rpm broken

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > On 2006-10-18, hg wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> When in rpmdrake I cannot install anymore and rpm takes over all of the cpu.
    >>
    >> I tried to rebuild the database, but get an error there also.
    >>
    >> [root@pcm Linux]# rpm --rebuilddb
    >> error: Macro %_install_langs has empty body
    >>

    >> Any clue ?

    > I don't have a clue about the rpm problem, other than that
    > it doesn't look like a good thing to have happen. If 'rpm
    > --rebuilddb' doesn't work, that's bad.
    >
    > However, I do have a clue about multi-posting
    > vs. cross-posting. What you did, separately posting the
    > same content into two different newsgroups, here and
    > alt.os.linux.mandriva, is called multi-posting and is
    > considered a rather bad thing. If needed, cross-posting is
    > better than multi-posting. To cross-post, put the names of
    > both newsgroups with a comma between them.

    Considered a bad thing ? why ? what's the difference between posting
    twice to the correct newgroups and posting once to the two correct
    newgroups ?

  4. Re: rpm broken

    hg wrote:

    > Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >> On 2006-10-18, hg wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> When in rpmdrake I cannot install anymore and rpm takes over all of the
    >>> cpu.
    >>>
    >>> I tried to rebuild the database, but get an error there also.
    >>>
    >>> [root@pcm Linux]# rpm --rebuilddb
    >>> error: Macro %_install_langs has empty body
    >>>

    >>> Any clue ?

    >> I don't have a clue about the rpm problem, other than that
    >> it doesn't look like a good thing to have happen. If 'rpm
    >> --rebuilddb' doesn't work, that's bad.
    >>
    >> However, I do have a clue about multi-posting
    >> vs. cross-posting. What you did, separately posting the
    >> same content into two different newsgroups, here and
    >> alt.os.linux.mandriva, is called multi-posting and is
    >> considered a rather bad thing. If needed, cross-posting is
    >> better than multi-posting. To cross-post, put the names of
    >> both newsgroups with a comma between them.
    >>

    > Considered a bad thing ? why ? what's the difference between posting
    > twice to the correct newgroups and posting once to the two correct
    > newgroups ?

    i agree with hg. and the rest of u are starting to look like a bunch
    of litle ole ladies instead macho men

  5. Re: rpm broken

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:26:44 -0500, hg wrote:

    > Considered a bad thing ? why ? what's the difference between posting
    > twice to the correct newgroups and posting once to the two correct
    > newgroups ?

    Technically you would post Mandrake problems in Mandrake
    and you would post Mandriva problems in Mandriva newsgroup.

    You might find more information at

  6. Re: rpm broken

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:01:39 -0400, hg wrote:

    > [root@pcm Linux]# rpm --rebuilddb
    > error: Macro %_install_langs has empty body

    Looking at /usr/lib/rpm/macros, I have a line with
    %_install_langs all

    Does the file exist on your system, and if so, does it
    have the above line?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: rpm broken

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:26:44 -0500, hg wrote:
    >
    >> Considered a bad thing ? why ? what's the difference between posting
    >> twice to the correct newgroups and posting once to the two correct
    >> newgroups ?

    > Technically you would post Mandrake problems in Mandrake
    > and you would post Mandriva problems in Mandriva newsgroup.
    >

    > You might find more information at
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html

    Check out the other posts here: if I'm wrong then 99% of the people here
    are ... even if they did not cross-post.

    hg

  8. Re: rpm broken

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:01:39 -0400, hg wrote:
    >
    >> [root@pcm Linux]# rpm --rebuilddb
    >> error: Macro %_install_langs has empty body

    > Looking at /usr/lib/rpm/macros, I have a line with
    > %_install_langs all
    >
    > Does the file exist on your system, and if so, does it
    > have the above line?
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks, will search and get back to this thread if I find anything.

    hg

  9. Re: rpm broken

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:20:56 -0500, hg wrote:

    > Check out the other posts here: if I'm wrong then 99% of the people
    > here are ... even if they did not cross-post.

    I am sorry, I have seemed to have hurt your feelings.
    You may want to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    You ask a question, I gave you an answer to your question.

    As for others doing it.

    goto http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search and put
    netcop fired in the first box and
    *mandrake in the Newsgroup box and
    bit twister in the Author box.

  10. Re: rpm broken

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:20:56 -0500, hg wrote:
    >
    >> Check out the other posts here: if I'm wrong then 99% of the people
    >> here are ... even if they did not cross-post.

    > I am sorry, I have seemed to have hurt your feelings.
    > You may want to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    > You ask a question, I gave you an answer to your question.
    >
    > As for others doing it.
    >
    > goto http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search and put
    > netcop fired in the first box and
    > *mandrake in the Newsgroup box and
    > bit twister in the Author box.

    No you have not ... had a long day.

    Thanks and regards,

    hg

  11. Re: rpm broken

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:20:56 -0500, hg wrote:
    >
    >> Check out the other posts here: if I'm wrong then 99% of the people
    >> here are ... even if they did not cross-post.

    > I am sorry, I have seemed to have hurt your feelings.
    > You may want to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    > You ask a question, I gave you an answer to your question.
    >
    > As for others doing it.
    >
    > goto http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search and put
    > netcop fired in the first box and
    > *mandrake in the Newsgroup box and
    > bit twister in the Author box.

    PS: I knew these links of course

  12. Re: rpm broken

    On 2006-10-18, hg wrote:
    > Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >>
    >> However, I do have a clue about multi-posting
    >> vs. cross-posting. What you did, separately posting the
    >> same content into two different newsgroups, here and
    >> alt.os.linux.mandriva, is called multi-posting and is
    >> considered a rather bad thing. If needed, cross-posting is
    >> better than multi-posting. To cross-post, put the names of
    >> both newsgroups with a comma between them.

    > Considered a bad thing ? why ? what's the difference between posting
    > twice to the correct newgroups and posting once to the two correct
    > newgroups ?

    If you cross-post (i.e., send the same message to more than one
    group), then a newsreader will not show you the same message more
    than once. When there are replies, you only need to go to one
    group to find them.

    If you multi-post, the message will show up in all newsgroups, and
    you will have to check all of them for replies. If someone
    requires more information, you will have to post it to all the
    groups instead of just one.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  13. Re: rpm broken

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake, in article
    <12jd8epg18jnla3@corp.supernews.com>, patrick_darcy wrote:

    >hg wrote:

    >> Considered a bad thing ? why ? what's the difference between posting
    >> twice to the correct newgroups and posting once to the two correct
    >> newgroups ?

    When you multipost, a copy goes in each newsgroup. If you copy it to
    two groups, you've wasted twice as much space on the news servers, and
    more importantly, wasted _my_ time and bandwidth downloading the same
    article twice. More importantly, I may have no idea what responses
    you may have gotten in the "other" groups you posted to. That's a
    two edged sword, as you may have received bum advice there, and something
    that looks like an answer here, so I won't know to correct the bum answer
    you got - result is a problem for you.

    >i agree with hg. and the rest of u are starting to look like a bunch
    >of litle ole ladies instead macho men

    How many news groups do you try to follow?

    [compton ~]$ grep -c linux .jnewsrc
    37
    [compton ~]$

    That's out of 90 groups that I at least try to scan every day. I don't
    have time to see the same article posted all over. I really do have a
    job to keep me busy. I mainly use the news groups to see what is going
    on. There is no compulsion for me to help others, but like most I will
    do so if I have the answer. For those who waste my time...

    [compton ~]$ grep -vE '^([%\[ ]|Score|$)' /var/spool/slrnpull/score | cut
    -d' ' -f1 | sort | uniq -c | column
    760 From: 4 Message-ID: 75 Xref:
    2 Lines: 215 Subject: 2 ~Subject:
    [compton ~]$