Installing 2007 Free to a box with 2006 Free & XPPro. - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Installing 2007 Free to a box with 2006 Free & XPPro. - Mandrake ; I would like to install Mandriva 2007 Free to a box which already has Mandriva 2006 Free and Windows XP Pro. I would like to replace 2006 Free with 2007 Free and not lose any data either from the 2006 ...

  1. Installing 2007 Free to a box with 2006 Free & XPPro.

    I would like to install Mandriva 2007 Free to a box which already has
    Mandriva 2006 Free and Windows XP Pro.

    I would like to replace 2006 Free with 2007 Free and not lose any data
    either from the 2006 version or the XP Pro version and still have the box
    boot correctly.

    Can someone assist me by telling me the best way to do this?

    TIA

  2. Re: Installing 2007 Free to a box with 2006 Free & XPPro.

    On Wednesday 18 October 2006 18:05, Sun Tzu stood up and addressed the
    masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > I would like to install Mandriva 2007 Free to a box which already has
    > Mandriva 2006 Free and Windows XP Pro.
    >
    > I would like to replace 2006 Free with 2007 Free and not lose any data
    > either from the 2006 version or the XP Pro version and still have the box
    > boot correctly.
    >
    > Can someone assist me by telling me the best way to do this?

    Simply select manual partitioning in the installer when you come to the
    partitioning tool and indicate the partitions you used for 2006. Assign
    mountpoints to them as desired, see that they get formatted - and that your
    Windows partitions are not - and you should be okay.

    Do not choose "update", but choose "fresh install" instead. Updating from a
    previous major release to a next major release is generally not a good
    idea.

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: Installing 2007 Free to a box with 2006 Free & XPPro.

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 06:05:57 -1000, Sun Tzu wrote:
    > I would like to install Mandriva 2007 Free to a box which already has
    > Mandriva 2006 Free and Windows XP Pro.
    >
    > I would like to replace 2006 Free with 2007 Free and not lose any data
    > either from the 2006 version or the XP Pro version and still have the box
    > boot correctly.
    >
    > Can someone assist me by telling me the best way to do this?

    Use 2006 to create the free space for the 2007 install.
    Insert 2007 and do the install.

    At the Partition Phase, pick CUSTOM.
    Click the 2006 partition
    clck Mount Point and enter /2006
    now click the free space and set it as /
    complete your installation.

    You will be able to access your date as /2006/home/wherever
    You can then modify the 2007 boot loader of your choice to add the
    2006 for a booting selection.

    Small snippet from my /etc/lilo.conf
    $ grep image= /etc/lilo.conf
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    image=/2007/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-2mdv
    image=/suse/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.13-15.11-default
    image=/kubuntu/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-386
    image=/fc5/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5
    image=/ubuntu/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-386
    image=/2006/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-22mdk
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-24mdk

  4. Re: Installing 2007 Free to a box with 2006 Free & XPPro.

    On 2006-10-18, Sun Tzu
    wrote:
    > I would like to install Mandriva 2007 Free to a box which already has
    > Mandriva 2006 Free and Windows XP Pro.
    >
    > I would like to replace 2006 Free with 2007 Free and not lose any data
    > either from the 2006 version or the XP Pro version and still have the box
    > boot correctly.
    >
    > Can someone assist me by telling me the best way to do this?
    >
    > TIA

    Make sure that your data is not in he partition you want to use for
    installing Mdv2007. If at present you have data in the / partition used
    by Mdv2006, you will have to move it to a seperate partition.

    Whenever you make changes to your hard disc, first make back-up copies of
    everything you want to keep.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  5. Re: Installing 2007 Free to a box with 2006 Free & XPPro.

    Aragorn wrote:
    > On Wednesday 18 October 2006 18:05, Sun Tzu stood up and addressed the
    > masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    > > I would like to replace 2006 Free with 2007 Free and not lose any data
    > > either from the 2006 version or the XP Pro version and still have the box
    > > boot correctly.

    > Simply select manual partitioning in the installer when you come to the
    > partitioning tool and indicate the partitions you used for 2006. Assign
    > mountpoints to them as desired, see that they get formatted - and that your
    > Windows partitions are not - and you should be okay.

    The above will work if you have a separate partition for /home in 2006.
    Be sure to AVOID reformatting /home.

    G'luck...

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  6. Re: Installing 2007 Free to a box with 2006 Free & XPPro.

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:29:47 +0000, Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > Aragorn wrote:
    >> On Wednesday 18 October 2006 18:05, Sun Tzu stood up and addressed the
    >> masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    >> > I would like to replace 2006 Free with 2007 Free and not lose any data
    >> > either from the 2006 version or the XP Pro version and still have the
    >> > box boot correctly.

    >> Simply select manual partitioning in the installer when you come to the
    >> partitioning tool and indicate the partitions you used for 2006. Assign
    >> mountpoints to them as desired, see that they get formatted - and that
    >> your Windows partitions are not - and you should be okay.

    > The above will work if you have a separate partition for /home in 2006. Be
    > sure to AVOID reformatting /home.
    >
    > G'luck...

    Thanks to everyone for your input - I should be able to make this work