mandriva x86_64 DVD install - Mandrake

This is a discussion on mandriva x86_64 DVD install - Mandrake ; I just picked up a new computer and I want to install Mandriva on it. I downloaded the x86_64 DVD iso image, and successfully burnt it to a DVD. I then rebooted the system to boot from the DVD and ...

  1. mandriva x86_64 DVD install

    I just picked up a new computer and I want to install Mandriva on it. I
    downloaded the x86_64 DVD iso image, and successfully burnt it to a DVD. I
    then rebooted the system to boot from the DVD and it didn't. After
    checking around the bios for boot priorities and the like, I have
    determined that it is set properly - other CDs boot just fine.

    Browsing the DVD - I find an X86_64 directory and releasenotes.txt in
    English and French. I expected to find an autorun.inf or similar files on
    the root directory of the DVD. Did I screw up the dvd-burn? Did I do (or
    not do) something else? Does the DVD not boot?

    I could make a boot floppy for the system, except the system doesn't have a
    floppy. I don't want to rip apart two systems to move a floppy drive
    around, so I can install the OS.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Carolyn
    --
    Carolyn Marenger

  2. Re: mandriva x86_64 DVD install

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 06:11:49 -0400, carolyn wrote:
    > I just picked up a new computer and I want to install Mandriva on

    it.

    Welcome to the group. I did the 3 cd set for i586 and did the install
    on her new 64 bit HP 3800 Athlon. It worked so good, bought one myself
    and installed the 32 bit Mandriva cd set.
    I hope the 64 bit Mandriva works as well for you.

    > I downloaded the x86_64 DVD iso image, and successfully burnt it to
    > a DVD. I then rebooted the system to boot from the DVD and it
    > didn't.
    >
    > Browsing the DVD - I find an X86_64 directory and releasenotes.txt in
    > English and French. I expected to find an autorun.inf or similar files on
    > the root directory of the DVD. Did I screw up the dvd-burn? Did I do (or
    > not do) something else? Does the DVD not boot?

    Couple of questions come to mind, did you verify you have a good
    download by comparing the md5 or sha1 checkusum value before burning.

    ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/sha1sum.exe
    http://etree.org/md5com.html

    Another possible problem, maybe you clicked the iso and dragged it to the
    burnner icon which is not what you want to do. That makes an iso folder on the
    cd. You want the iso to be burnt as an image.

    > Any suggestions?

    You should find the Mandriva regulars pretty friendly and will try to
    work with you where possible.

    Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    In this case you needed to have provided what software you used to burn
    the iso and what option used to burn the iso.

    Sorry, I cannot be of more help. Have not been on windows for a few years.

  3. Re: mandriva x86_64 DVD install

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 06:11:49 -0400, carolyn wrote:

    > I then rebooted the system to boot from the DVD and it didn't. After
    > checking around the bios for boot priorities and the like, I have
    > determined that it is set properly - other CDs boot just fine.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Go into system bios and set all choices to boot from CDrom and disable
    boot from other devices. Save and boot. If you get a boot failure error,
    wait until the light is out on the DVD drive and press enter. That should
    work.

  4. Re: mandriva x86_64 DVD install

    Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 06:11:49 -0400, carolyn wrote:
    >
    >> I then rebooted the system to boot from the DVD and it didn't. After
    >> checking around the bios for boot priorities and the like, I have
    >> determined that it is set properly - other CDs boot just fine.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>

    > Go into system bios and set all choices to boot from CDrom and disable
    > boot from other devices. Save and boot. If you get a boot failure error,
    > wait until the light is out on the DVD drive and press enter. That should
    > work.

    Well, i am sorry, but i don't believe you. Why should the Mandriva x86_64
    need other bios settings than other bootable CDs and DVDs?

    I have done several attempts to install Mandriva Powerpack 2007 x86_64 both
    from DVD and from harddisk, and it does not work. It seems like the image
    is corrupt. I have downlaoded it again via Bittorrent, and i have burned
    new DVD and verified the written data. Nothing work. I have tried to ask
    questions at alt.os.linux.mandriva, but nobody answers.
    I have not tried to install across ftp yet.

    My only advice, is to go for the 32 bits version of Mandriva, or go for
    another distribution, if you are looking for a 64 bits version.
    One option could be to boot from the floppy image, and run an
    ftp-installation of the downloadable Mandriva version from public
    ftp-mirror. Later, you can mount the dvd-image, and run urpmi.addmedia.

  5. Re: mandriva x86_64 DVD install

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:37:33 +0200, Amund wrote:

    > Wes Newell wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 06:11:49 -0400, carolyn wrote:
    >>
    >>> I then rebooted the system to boot from the DVD and it didn't. After
    >>> checking around the bios for boot priorities and the like, I have
    >>> determined that it is set properly - other CDs boot just fine.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>

    >> Go into system bios and set all choices to boot from CDrom and disable
    >> boot from other devices. Save and boot. If you get a boot failure error,
    >> wait until the light is out on the DVD drive and press enter. That should
    >> work.

    > Well, i am sorry, but i don't believe you.

    That's your problem.:-)

    > Why should the Mandriva x86_64 need other bios settings than other
    > bootable CDs and DVDs?

    Think about why anythng bootable won't boot and what could be causing
    it. Still don't have it? Think about why some very old IDE drives needed
    extra time before trying to boot them. Still don't have it? Think drive
    init time.

    > I have done several attempts to install Mandriva Powerpack 2007 x86_64
    > both from DVD and from harddisk, and it does not work. It seems like the
    > image is corrupt. I have downlaoded it again via Bittorrent, and i have
    > burned new DVD and verified the written data. Nothing work. I have tried
    > to ask questions at alt.os.linux.mandriva, but nobody answers. I have
    > not tried to install across ftp yet.

    What you mean is that it doesn't work for you. And with an attitude like
    yours, you expect someone to help you?

    > My only advice, is to go for the 32 bits version of Mandriva, or go for
    > another distribution, if you are looking for a 64 bits version. One
    > option could be to boot from the floppy image, and run an
    > ftp-installation of the downloadable Mandriva version from public
    > ftp-mirror. Later, you can mount the dvd-image, and run urpmi.addmedia.

    I don't run the 64bit version, I did however install the 9.something
    version a couple of years ago without problems. BTW, I think her problem
    was not installation, but trying to get the DVD to boot. Whether or not my
    advice will get hers to boot or not is yet to be seen, I can say that it
    worked for me, and that I understand why it worked.

  6. Re: mandriva x86_64 DVD install

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 06:11:49 -0400, carolyn wrote:

    > Browsing the DVD - I find an X86_64 directory and releasenotes.txt in
    > English and French. I expected to find an autorun.inf or

    How are you browsing the dvd?

    I suspect you created a file on the dvd, containing the iso image, rather
    then burning the dvd, as an iso image.

    Which program are you using to burn the dvd. If it's a windows program,
    I expect someone else here, will be able to tell you specifically, what
    steps you have to take in that program, to burn an iso image properly.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: mandriva x86_64 DVD install

    Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 06:11:49 -0400, carolyn wrote:
    >
    >> I then rebooted the system to boot from the DVD and it didn't. After
    >> checking around the bios for boot priorities and the like, I have
    >> determined that it is set properly - other CDs boot just fine.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>

    > Go into system bios and set all choices to boot from CDrom and disable
    > boot from other devices. Save and boot. If you get a boot failure error,
    > wait until the light is out on the DVD drive and press enter. That should
    > work.

    I did as you suggested, and it worked. CD/DVD was the first boot device,
    hard drive was second. I disabled all other boot devices after the CD/DVD
    and rebooted. It booted into the Mandriva install. I am surprised that it
    made the difference, but it did.

    Thanks for the advice!

    Carolyn
    --
    Carolyn Marenger

  8. Re: mandriva x86_64 DVD install

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 06:11:49 -0400, carolyn wrote:
    >> I just picked up a new computer and I want to install Mandriva on

    > it.
    >
    > Welcome to the group.

    Thanks, I have actually been here for a few years, but this is my first
    entry into 64bit?

    > Couple of questions come to mind, did you verify you have a good
    > download by comparing the md5 or sha1 checkusum value before burning.
    >
    > ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/sha1sum.exe
    > http://etree.org/md5com.html

    I will check it (again)... I don't remember doing it, but I normally
    automatically do it, so I wouldn't necessarily remember.

    > Another possible problem, maybe you clicked the iso and dragged it to the
    > burnner icon which is not what you want to do. That makes an iso folder on
    > the cd. You want the iso to be burnt as an image.

    >> Any suggestions?

    > You should find the Mandriva regulars pretty friendly and will try to
    > work with you where possible.
    >
    > Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    >
    > In this case you needed to have provided what software you used to burn
    > the iso and what option used to burn the iso.
    >
    > Sorry, I cannot be of more help. Have not been on windows for a few years.

    It is booting now. Disable other bootable drives with only CD/DVD as
    bootable and it boots fine. Not sure what is causing that, but a timeout
    as Wes suggested seems plausible.

    Thanks!

    Carolyn
    --
    Carolyn Marenger

  9. Re: The DVD is working now

    The DVD is working now. It seems to have been a timeout when booting from
    DVD with HD as second boot drive. It boots just fine with no 2nd boot
    device.

    Carolyn
    --
    Carolyn Marenger

  10. Re: mandriva x86_64 DVD install

    carolyn wrote:

    > I just picked up a new computer and I want to install Mandriva on it. I
    > downloaded the x86_64 DVD iso image, and successfully burnt it to a DVD.
    > then rebooted the system to boot from the DVD and it didn't. After
    > checking around the bios for boot priorities and the like, I have
    > determined that it is set properly - other CDs boot just fine.
    >
    > Browsing the DVD - I find an X86_64 directory and releasenotes.txt in
    > English and French. I expected to find an autorun.inf or similar files on
    > the root directory of the DVD. Did I screw up the dvd-burn? Did I do (or
    > not do) something else? Does the DVD not boot?
    >
    > I could make a boot floppy for the system, except the system doesn't have
    > floppy. I don't want to rip apart two systems to move a floppy drive
    > around, so I can install the OS.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Carolyn

    I think I have found the definitive problem. The DVD burn was bad. I have
    a new DVD burned from the same verified iso file and it is working. Thanks
    for all the help!

    Carolyn
    --
    Carolyn Marenger