3d Desktop Mandriva 2007 - Mandrake

This is a discussion on 3d Desktop Mandriva 2007 - Mandrake ; Hi all, My son and I have the same motherboard with on board video and each with one gig of memory.We both installed Mandriva 2007.He had no problem installing his 3D desktop but mine will not work.All I get is ...

  1. 3d Desktop Mandriva 2007

    Hi all,
    My son and I have the same motherboard with on board video and
    each with one gig of memory.We both installed Mandriva 2007.He had no
    problem installing his 3D desktop but mine will not work.All I get is
    the blue screen.I have to do "ctrl + alt and backspace" to get back to
    login screen.I have installed Mandrive on an other partition and still
    no 3D desktop.Any info would be appreciated.

    Thanks Kindly,
    Grampa

  2. Re: 3d Desktop Mandriva 2007

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:03:41 GMT, Grampa wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > My son and I have the same motherboard with on board video and
    > each with one gig of memory.We both installed Mandriva 2007.He had no
    > problem installing his 3D desktop but mine will not work.All I get is
    > the blue screen.I have to do "ctrl + alt and backspace" to get back to
    > login screen.I have installed Mandrive on an other partition and still
    > no 3D desktop.Any info would be appreciated.

    Assuming the packages and what I would have to compare some config files

    For starters
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    and doing a
    cd /etc
    ls *mod*
    modprobe.conf modprobe.preload modules rc.modules

    would suggest comparing the two modprobe files.

  3. Re: 3d Desktop Mandriva 2007

    Grampa wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > My son and I have the same motherboard with on board video and
    > each with one gig of memory.We both installed Mandriva 2007.He had no
    > problem installing his 3D desktop but mine will not work.All I get is
    > the blue screen.I have to do "ctrl + alt and backspace" to get back to
    > login screen.I have installed Mandrive on an other partition and still
    > no 3D desktop.Any info would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks Kindly,
    > Grampa

    Mandriva does not work for grand-pas !!

    ;-)

    Do you have the same screen ?

    hg

  4. Re: 3d Desktop Mandriva 2007

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:03:41 GMT, Grampa wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >> My son and I have the same motherboard with on board video and
    >> each with one gig of memory.We both installed Mandriva 2007.He had no
    >> problem installing his 3D desktop but mine will not work.All I get is
    >> the blue screen.I have to do "ctrl + alt and backspace" to get back to
    >> login screen.I have installed Mandrive on an other partition and still
    >> no 3D desktop.Any info would be appreciated.

    > Assuming the packages and what I would have to compare some config files
    >
    > For starters
    > cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    > and doing a
    > cd /etc
    > ls *mod*
    > modprobe.conf modprobe.preload modules rc.modules
    >
    > would suggest comparing the two modprobe files.

    Thanks I will check that out.

    Grampa

  5. Re: 3d Desktop Mandriva 2007

    hg wrote:
    > Grampa wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >> My son and I have the same motherboard with on board video and
    >> each with one gig of memory.We both installed Mandriva 2007.He had no
    >> problem installing his 3D desktop but mine will not work.All I get is
    >> the blue screen.I have to do "ctrl + alt and backspace" to get back to
    >> login screen.I have installed Mandrive on an other partition and still
    >> no 3D desktop.Any info would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks Kindly,
    >> Grampa

    > Mandriva does not work for grand-pas !!
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > Do you have the same screen ?
    >
    > hg

    Mandriva works but not in 3d desktop mode.We do not have the same
    screen.I have 17 inch crt and my son has 17 inch lcd.

    Thanks Kindly
    grand-pa

  6. Re: 3d Desktop Mandriva 2007

    Grampa wrote:
    > hg wrote:
    >> Grampa wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> My son and I have the same motherboard with on board video and
    >>> each with one gig of memory.We both installed Mandriva 2007.He had no
    >>> problem installing his 3D desktop but mine will not work.All I get is
    >>> the blue screen.I have to do "ctrl + alt and backspace" to get back to
    >>> login screen.I have installed Mandrive on an other partition and still
    >>> no 3D desktop.Any info would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks Kindly,
    >>> Grampa

    >> Mandriva does not work for grand-pas !!
    >>
    >> ;-)
    >>
    >> Do you have the same screen ?
    >>
    >> hg

    > Mandriva works but not in 3d desktop mode.We do not have the same
    > screen.I have 17 inch crt and my son has 17 inch lcd.
    >
    > Thanks Kindly
    > grand-pa

    Did you try swapping screens ?

    hg

  7. Re: 3d Desktop Mandriva 2007

    hg wrote:
    > Grampa wrote:
    >> hg wrote:

    >>> Mandriva does not work for grand-pas !!
    >>>
    >>> ;-)
    >>>
    >>> Do you have the same screen ?
    >>>
    >>> hg

    >> Mandriva works but not in 3d desktop mode.We do not have the same
    >> screen.I have 17 inch crt and my son has 17 inch lcd.
    >>
    >> Thanks Kindly
    >> grand-pa

    > Did you try swapping screens ?
    >
    > hg

    I gave him a call to swap screens but now his 3D does not work.Let the
    fun begin.Thanks for trying to help.

    Grampa

  8. Re: 3d Desktop Mandriva 2007

    Grampa wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > My son and I have the same motherboard with on board video and
    > each with one gig of memory.We both installed Mandriva 2007.He had no
    > problem installing his 3D desktop but mine will not work.All I get is
    > the blue screen.I have to do "ctrl + alt and backspace" to get back to
    > login screen.I have installed Mandrive on an other partition and still
    > no 3D desktop.Any info would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks Kindly,
    > Grampa

    Are you using the same video *driver* (and same version) Problems have been
    reported with certain nvidia drivers, for example. Several people have
    mentioned that Nvidia's beta 9xx driver, and the modified version of their
    8774 driver on the PLF website work, but Nvidia's standard release drivers,
    up to and including the current 8774 version, cause problems. ( I know the
    last is true - I was using that driver ). For other video cards (onboard or
    plug-in), I can't say, but it's something worth checking into.

    Also, are your xorg.conf files the same or do they differ (apart from the
    monitor info) ?

    Al Preston

+ Reply to Thread