Nvidia drivers for Riva TNT2 with Mandriva Linux 2007? - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Nvidia drivers for Riva TNT2 with Mandriva Linux 2007? - Mandrake ; All: I found out that there are no 3D graphics capabilities on my 2007 system. I successfully downloaded the 7174 Nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com . It stated that I needed to download a more recent driver; so, I allowed it ...

  1. Nvidia drivers for Riva TNT2 with Mandriva Linux 2007?

    All:
    I found out that there are no 3D graphics capabilities on my 2007 system.

    I successfully downloaded the 7174 Nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com.
    It stated that I needed to download a more recent driver; so, I allowed
    it to be downloaded. I then attemped to install it. I got these error
    messages:

    WARNING: The NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro GPU installed in this
    system is supported through the NVIDIA legacy Linux graphics
    drivers. Please visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for
    more information. The 1.0-9625 NVIDIA Linux graphics driver will
    ignore this GPU.
    WARNING: You do not appear to have an NVIDIA GPU supported by the 1.0-9625
    NVIDIA Linux graphics driver installed in this system. For
    further details, please see the appendix SUPPORTED NVIDIA
    GRAPHICS CHIPS in the README available on the Linux driver
    download page at www.nvidia.com.

    Does this mean that I have to compile a new kernel? If so, where would I
    find the 2007 source code? I read the Nvidia README and found that this
    driver should support my video card.

    Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

    Keith

  2. Re: Nvidia drivers for Riva TNT2 with Mandriva Linux 2007?

    Keith Lee wrote:

    > All:
    > I found out that there are no 3D graphics capabilities on my 2007 system.
    >
    > I successfully downloaded the 7174 Nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com.
    > It stated that I needed to download a more recent driver; so, I allowed
    > it to be downloaded. I then attemped to install it. I got these error
    > messages:
    >
    > WARNING: The NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro GPU installed in this
    > system is supported through the NVIDIA legacy Linux graphics
    > drivers. Please visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for
    > more information. The 1.0-9625 NVIDIA Linux graphics driver will
    > ignore this GPU.
    > WARNING: You do not appear to have an NVIDIA GPU supported by the 1.0-9625
    > NVIDIA Linux graphics driver installed in this system. For
    > further details, please see the appendix SUPPORTED NVIDIA
    > GRAPHICS CHIPS in the README available on the Linux driver
    > download page at www.nvidia.com.

    this warning don't came from version 7174

    > Does this mean that I have to compile a new kernel? If so, where would I
    > find the 2007 source code? I read the Nvidia README and found that this
    > driver should support my video card.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    >
    > Keith

    Install the latest legacy driver (7184)

  3. Re: Nvidia drivers for Riva TNT2 with Mandriva Linux 2007?

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 09:38:22 -0700, Keith Lee wrote:

    > All:
    > I found out that there are no 3D graphics capabilities on my 2007 system.
    >
    > I successfully downloaded the 7174 Nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com.
    > It stated that I needed to download a more recent driver; so, I allowed
    > it to be downloaded. I then attemped to install it. I got these error
    > messages:
    >
    > WARNING: The NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro GPU installed in this
    > system is supported through the NVIDIA legacy Linux graphics
    > drivers. Please visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for
    > more information. The 1.0-9625 NVIDIA Linux graphics driver will
    > ignore this GPU.
    > WARNING: You do not appear to have an NVIDIA GPU supported by the 1.0-9625
    > NVIDIA Linux graphics driver installed in this system. For
    > further details, please see the appendix SUPPORTED NVIDIA
    > GRAPHICS CHIPS in the README available on the Linux driver
    > download page at www.nvidia.com.
    >
    > Does this mean that I have to compile a new kernel? If so, where would I
    > find the 2007 source code? I read the Nvidia README and found that this
    > driver should support my video card.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    >
    > Keith

    You need to stick with a "legacy" driver. Give the 7174 another go but
    don't elect to download a more recent driver. If you visit the NVIDIA page
    mentioned above it says 7184 is the newest legacy driver.

    I have vague recollections of having to stick with 6629 (or so) on a TNT2
    card for some reason so you might have to do similar.

    Compiling a new kernel won't help as the driver simply doesn't support
    your video card. A point to note is that when you do upgrade the kernel
    you'll need to reinstall the NVIDIA driver as it is compiled against the
    installed kernel & won't work with a different one.
    --
    Dennis.
    A fiddling penguin is a happy penguin.

  4. Re: Nvidia drivers for Riva TNT2 with Mandriva Linux 2007?

    Keith Lee wrote:

    > Does this mean that I have to compile a new kernel?

    No, it means you have to back to nvidia.com and download the correct driver.
    You require the legacy driver.

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284

  5. Re: Nvidia drivers for Riva TNT2 with Mandriva Linux 2007?

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:45:25 +0000, sid wrote:

    > Keith Lee wrote:
    >

    >> Does this mean that I have to compile a new kernel?

    > No, it means you have to go back to nvidia.com and download the correct
    > driver. You require the legacy driver.

    All:
    I tried the latest Nvidia legacy driver (7184) with kernel 2.6.17-5mdv for 2007
    and that didn't work. I pretty much got the same error message as I got
    with the newer driver:
    > No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would
    > you li

    ke the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for your
    kernel f rom the NVIDIA ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com)? (Answer:
    Yes)
    -> No matching precompiled kernel interface was found on the NVIDIA ftp
    site;
    this means that the installer will need to compile a kernel interface
    for your kernel.

    I even tried the linux legacy kernel and that didn't work either. I
    guess I will have to download the latest kernel 2.6.17-5 source file in
    order to get this working.

    Keith

  6. Re: Nvidia drivers for Riva TNT2 with Mandriva Linux 2007?

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 09:38:22 -0700, Keith Lee wrote:

    > Does this mean that I have to compile a new kernel? If so, where would I
    > find the 2007 source code? I read the Nvidia README and found that this
    > driver should support my video card.

    You'll need the 2007 source code, but you don't need to copile a new
    kernel. The Nviidia installer uses the source code to build its driver.
    You get the kernel sources from a mirror. Setup easyurpmi.zarb.org

  7. Re: Nvidia drivers for Riva TNT2 with Mandriva Linux 2007?

    Keith Lee wrote:
    > -> No matching precompiled kernel interface was found on the NVIDIA ftp
    > site;
    > this means that the installer will need to compile a kernel interface
    > for your kernel.
    >
    > I even tried the linux legacy kernel and that didn't work either. I
    > guess I will have to download the latest kernel 2.6.17-5 source file in
    > order to get this working.

    If the Nvidia installer has to compile the kernel interface, you
    must install the source code for precisely the kernel you are
    running. You must have installed the same version compiler as
    that used to compile your kernel. And after the installer
    compiles the drivers you need and installs them, it may ask you
    if you want your xorg.conf file updated (I forget how it refers
    to it -- the config file for x-windows). Say yes. If it does
    not ask, you may have to configure that manually.

    You do not need to compile the kernel. And if you do, you must
    use the Nvidia installer to compile and install new drivers for
    that new kernel while it is running.

    Nvidia requirements are exacting (and discussed several times
    over on this newsgroup), but once you get it all sorted out, it
    works quite well.

    Cheers!

    jim b.
    --
    Unix is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  8. Re: Nvidia drivers for Riva TNT2 with Mandriva Linux 2007?

    Keith Lee wrote:

    > All:
    > I found out that there are no 3D graphics capabilities on my 2007 system.
    >
    > I successfully downloaded the 7174 Nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com.
    > It stated that I needed to download a more recent driver; so, I allowed
    > it to be downloaded. I then attemped to install it. I got these error
    > messages:

    that sounds a bit old i am using NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8774-pkg2.run
    and i got that from Nvidia site

  9. Re: Nvidia drivers for Riva TNT2 with Mandriva Linux 2007?

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:22:57 +0100, darklight wrote:

    > Keith Lee wrote:
    >
    >> All:
    >> I found out that there are no 3D graphics capabilities on my 2007 system.
    >>
    >> I successfully downloaded the 7174 Nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com.
    >> It stated that I needed to download a more recent driver; so, I allowed
    >> it to be downloaded. I then attemped to install it. I got these error
    >> messages:

    > that sounds a bit old i am using NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8774-pkg2.run
    > and i got that from Nvidia site

    Darklight:
    Did it successfully install? Did you have the kernel source it needed in
    order to compile a NVIDIA module specifically for your kernel?

    Keith

+ Reply to Thread