pc nerd one-upmanship - Mandrake

This is a discussion on pc nerd one-upmanship - Mandrake ; only helps your ego, and as you're stuck in pc-lala land, god help those of you in non-hobby production-environments...

  1. pc nerd one-upmanship

    only helps your ego, and as you're stuck in pc-lala land, god help those
    of you in non-hobby production-environments

  2. Re: pc nerd one-upmanship

    On Monday 16 October 2006 18:10, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > only helps your ego, and as you're stuck in pc-lala land, god help those
    > of you in non-hobby production-environments

    I resent this remark. What makes you think we all work on PC architectures
    - assuming that by PC you mean /x86/ machines?

    And more importantly, what makes you think that we use GNU/Linux as some
    kind of hobby system alongside of Windows?

    Statistically, there are far more corporate servers running GNU/Linux or
    another UNIX-style operating system than there are running Windows. And as
    for the workstation market, see my other reply to you.

    If anything, then *Windows* is the "hobby OS". It's multi-user capabilities
    and its security features were all bolted on as an afterthought, it's full
    of holes, its kernel contains 20'000 bugs with the potential of crashing
    the machine and about 40'000 other, non-fatal bugs, its memory management
    and storage management via drive letters are a kludge and are archaic
    leftovers from a time when PC's didn't even have hard disks and the system
    relies severely on third-party software to keep it free from malware
    infestations.

    The only reasons Windows is such as success story to Microsoft is that it
    gets rammed down every /x86/ computer buyer's throat without that the
    customer is given a choice or informed of existing other operating systems.
    Well, that and the fact that Microsoft maintains an 80% pure profit margin.

    What do you think was used to create and render all those graphics in "Star
    Wars", or "Shrek"? What do you think Paramount Pictures uses? What do you
    think NASA uses? Windows? Think again...

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: pc nerd one-upmanship

    Aragorn wrote:
    > On Monday 16 October 2006 18:10, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    > masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    >
    >> only helps your ego, and as you're stuck in pc-lala land, god help those
    >> of you in non-hobby production-environments

    > I resent this remark. What makes you think we all work on PC architectures
    > - assuming that by PC you mean /x86/ machines?
    >
    > And more importantly, what makes you think that we use GNU/Linux as some
    > kind of hobby system alongside of Windows?
    >
    > Statistically, there are far more corporate servers running GNU/Linux or
    > another UNIX-style operating system than there are running Windows. And as
    > for the workstation market, see my other reply to you.
    >
    > If anything, then *Windows* is the "hobby OS". It's multi-user capabilities
    > and its security features were all bolted on as an afterthought, it's full
    > of holes, its kernel contains 20'000 bugs with the potential of crashing
    > the machine and about 40'000 other, non-fatal bugs, its memory management
    > and storage management via drive letters are a kludge and are archaic
    > leftovers from a time when PC's didn't even have hard disks and the system
    > relies severely on third-party software to keep it free from malware
    > infestations.
    >
    > The only reasons Windows is such as success story to Microsoft is that it
    > gets rammed down every /x86/ computer buyer's throat without that the
    > customer is given a choice or informed of existing other operating systems.
    > Well, that and the fact that Microsoft maintains an 80% pure profit margin.
    >
    > What do you think was used to create and render all those graphics in "Star
    > Wars", or "Shrek"? What do you think Paramount Pictures uses? What do you
    > think NASA uses? Windows? Think again...

    you've got the time to write all this, i'm correct

  4. Re: pc nerd one-upmanship

    Aragorn wrote:
    > On Monday 16 October 2006 18:10, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    > masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    >
    >> only helps your ego, and as you're stuck in pc-lala land, god help those
    >> of you in non-hobby production-environments

    > I resent this remark. What makes you think we all work on PC architectures
    > - assuming that by PC you mean /x86/ machines?
    >
    > And more importantly, what makes you think that we use GNU/Linux as some
    > kind of hobby system alongside of Windows?
    >
    > Statistically, there are far more corporate servers running GNU/Linux or
    > another UNIX-style operating system than there are running Windows. And as
    > for the workstation market, see my other reply to you.
    >
    > If anything, then *Windows* is the "hobby OS". It's multi-user capabilities
    > and its security features were all bolted on as an afterthought, it's full
    > of holes, its kernel contains 20'000 bugs with the potential of crashing
    > the machine and about 40'000 other, non-fatal bugs, its memory management
    > and storage management via drive letters are a kludge and are archaic
    > leftovers from a time when PC's didn't even have hard disks and the system
    > relies severely on third-party software to keep it free from malware
    > infestations.
    >
    > The only reasons Windows is such as success story to Microsoft is that it
    > gets rammed down every /x86/ computer buyer's throat without that the
    > customer is given a choice or informed of existing other operating systems.
    > Well, that and the fact that Microsoft maintains an 80% pure profit margin.
    >
    > What do you think was used to create and render all those graphics in "Star
    > Wars", or "Shrek"? What do you think Paramount Pictures uses? What do you
    > think NASA uses? Windows? Think again...

    vmware....

  5. Re: pc nerd one-upmanship

    On Monday 16 October 2006 18:41, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> [...]

    >> What do you think was used to create and render all those graphics in
    >> "Star Wars", or "Shrek"? What do you think Paramount Pictures uses?
    >> What do you think NASA uses? Windows? Think again...
    >>

    > you've got the time to write all this, i'm correct

    First of all, who are you to judge me or my computer skills and usage by the
    time I spend on Usenet? You know nothing of my life or how it is
    organized.

    Secondly, learn how to trim your posts. You're beginning to score points on
    my troll-o-meter.

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  6. Re: pc nerd one-upmanship

    Aragorn wrote:
    > On Monday 16 October 2006 18:41, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    > masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    >
    >> Aragorn wrote:
    >>
    >>> [...]
    >>> What do you think was used to create and render all those graphics in
    >>> "Star Wars", or "Shrek"? What do you think Paramount Pictures uses?
    >>> What do you think NASA uses? Windows? Think again...
    >>>

    >> you've got the time to write all this, i'm correct

    > First of all, who are you to judge me or my computer skills and usage by the
    > time I spend on Usenet? You know nothing of my life or how it is
    > organized.
    >
    > Secondly, learn how to trim your posts. You're beginning to score points on
    > my troll-o-meter.

    lol, time

  7. Re: pc nerd one-upmanship

    On Monday 16 October 2006 18:43, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> What do you think was used to create and render all those graphics in
    >> "Star Wars", or "Shrek"? What do you think Paramount Pictures uses?
    >> What do you think NASA uses? Windows? Think again...

    > vmware....

    Bzzz! Wrong answer. Lucasfilm and Pixar use GNU/Linux clusters. The
    dinosaurs in "Jurassic Park" were done on SGI IRIX. Paramount Pictures -
    makers of "Star Trek", among many others - use various kinds of UNIX
    machines for all of their movie and audio editing and special effects.

    NASA only uses Windows for their light office work and as the operating
    system that displays their pictures on an overhead screen. They use
    GNU/Linux and proprietary UNIX systems for everything else.

    Aeronautics and ship designers use some form of UNIX. Oil and gas industry
    use UNIX. Seismological systems and molecular biology uses UNIX. So does
    a lot of other medical stuff.

    In addition to it all, many of you Wintendo fans believe that GNU/Linux has
    a lot of tools that were ported from Windows, while those tools were
    actually ported *to* Windows *from* UNIX.

    WinZip for instance was an attempt to bring /pkzip/ to the Windows
    environment, but /pkzip/ was just a port to DOS from UNIX's /zip/ command.
    The look of Windows 3.x was licensed on a port of the /Motif/ window
    manager. TCP/IP came from UNIX and was only added to Windows much later.

    Without UNIX, there would not be an Internet. Without Windows, the world
    would only be a much nicer place.

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  8. Re: pc nerd one-upmanship

    Aragorn wrote:
    > On Monday 16 October 2006 18:43, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    > masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    >
    >> Aragorn wrote:
    >>
    >>> What do you think was used to create and render all those graphics in
    >>> "Star Wars", or "Shrek"? What do you think Paramount Pictures uses?
    >>> What do you think NASA uses? Windows? Think again...

    >> vmware....

    > Bzzz! Wrong answer. Lucasfilm and Pixar use GNU/Linux clusters. The
    > dinosaurs in "Jurassic Park" were done on SGI IRIX. Paramount Pictures -
    > makers of "Star Trek", among many others - use various kinds of UNIX
    > machines for all of their movie and audio editing and special effects.
    >
    > NASA only uses Windows for their light office work and as the operating
    > system that displays their pictures on an overhead screen. They use
    > GNU/Linux and proprietary UNIX systems for everything else.
    >
    > Aeronautics and ship designers use some form of UNIX. Oil and gas industry
    > use UNIX. Seismological systems and molecular biology uses UNIX. So does
    > a lot of other medical stuff.
    >
    > In addition to it all, many of you Wintendo fans believe that GNU/Linux has
    > a lot of tools that were ported from Windows, while those tools were
    > actually ported *to* Windows *from* UNIX.
    >
    > WinZip for instance was an attempt to bring /pkzip/ to the Windows
    > environment, but /pkzip/ was just a port to DOS from UNIX's /zip/ command.
    > The look of Windows 3.x was licensed on a port of the /Motif/ window
    > manager. TCP/IP came from UNIX and was only added to Windows much later.
    >
    > Without UNIX, there would not be an Internet. Without Windows, the world
    > would only be a much nicer place.

    as long as you assume everyone has your time, you're going to fail with
    the "wintendo" quips

  9. Re: pc nerd one-upmanship

    Aragorn wrote:

    > Bzzz! Wrong answer. Lucasfilm and Pixar use GNU/Linux clusters. The
    > dinosaurs in "Jurassic Park" were done on SGI IRIX. Paramount Pictures -
    > makers of "Star Trek", among many others - use various kinds of UNIX
    > machines for all of their movie and audio editing and special effects.

    Disney, Pixar and all the other serious animation houses also use variants
    of UNIX / Linux.

    > NASA only uses Windows for their light office work and as the operating
    > system that displays their pictures on an overhead screen. They use
    > GNU/Linux and proprietary UNIX systems for everything else.

    There have been both funny and alarming results from their use of Windoze
    for overhead projection, including repeated Blue Screens at critical points
    in missions, in one memorable case leading the assembled press to believe
    that NASA were "hiding something".

    > Aeronautics and ship designers use some form of UNIX. Oil and gas
    > industry
    > use UNIX. Seismological systems and molecular biology uses UNIX. So does
    > a lot of other medical stuff.
    >
    > In addition to it all, many of you Wintendo fans believe that GNU/Linux
    > has a lot of tools that were ported from Windows, while those tools were
    > actually ported *to* Windows *from* UNIX.
    >
    > WinZip for instance was an attempt to bring /pkzip/ to the Windows
    > environment, but /pkzip/ was just a port to DOS from UNIX's /zip/ command.
    > The look of Windows 3.x was licensed on a port of the /Motif/ window
    > manager. TCP/IP came from UNIX and was only added to Windows much later.
    >
    > Without UNIX, there would not be an Internet. Without Windows, the world
    > would only be a much nicer place.

    Windows is just a *poor* *proprietary* *client* for a UNIX world!

    Chris

  10. Re: pc nerd one-upmanship

    Chris Hunter wrote:
    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> Bzzz! Wrong answer. Lucasfilm and Pixar use GNU/Linux clusters. The
    >> dinosaurs in "Jurassic Park" were done on SGI IRIX. Paramount Pictures -
    >> makers of "Star Trek", among many others - use various kinds of UNIX
    >> machines for all of their movie and audio editing and special effects.

    > Disney, Pixar and all the other serious animation houses also use variants
    > of UNIX / Linux.
    >
    >> NASA only uses Windows for their light office work and as the operating
    >> system that displays their pictures on an overhead screen. They use
    >> GNU/Linux and proprietary UNIX systems for everything else.

    > There have been both funny and alarming results from their use of Windoze
    > for overhead projection, including repeated Blue Screens at critical points
    > in missions, in one memorable case leading the assembled press to believe
    > that NASA were "hiding something".
    >
    >> Aeronautics and ship designers use some form of UNIX. Oil and gas
    >> industry
    >> use UNIX. Seismological systems and molecular biology uses UNIX. So does
    >> a lot of other medical stuff.
    >>
    >> In addition to it all, many of you Wintendo fans believe that GNU/Linux
    >> has a lot of tools that were ported from Windows, while those tools were
    >> actually ported *to* Windows *from* UNIX.
    >>
    >> WinZip for instance was an attempt to bring /pkzip/ to the Windows
    >> environment, but /pkzip/ was just a port to DOS from UNIX's /zip/ command.
    >> The look of Windows 3.x was licensed on a port of the /Motif/ window
    >> manager. TCP/IP came from UNIX and was only added to Windows much later.
    >>
    >> Without UNIX, there would not be an Internet. Without Windows, the world
    >> would only be a much nicer place.

    > Windows is just a *poor* *proprietary* *client* for a UNIX world!
    >
    > Chris

    lol, people who are paid to spend their time doing it are bound to get
    it working.

    the rest of us don't have the time, resource or spare machinery to
    experiment...

  11. Re: pc nerd one-upmanship

    humble.life wrote:

    > lol, people who are paid to spend their time doing it are bound to get
    > it working.
    >
    > the rest of us don't have the time, resource or spare machinery to
    > experiment...

    In my *vast* experience, modern distros *just* *work* - any problems you
    have are usually of your own making, or you've been stupid enough to buy
    hardware from manufacturers that don't support anything but Windows. There
    are now very few hardware makers that don't support other operating systems
    - the sensible ones know that the Windows market is dwindling and will
    continue to shrink for the foreseeable future.

    *I* make extensive use of Linux in a "production environment" - in fact our
    company doesn't use anything else. Part of what we do involves embedded
    systems: there simply aren't /any/ viable Windows development tools for
    this kind of application. There are plenty in the UNIX / Linux world - and
    they're *all* *free* - the Windriver crap in Windows simply doesn't cut it.

    Professionally, in part of my job, I write code for PICs - Microchip, the
    company that makes these little microprocessors supplies a very creditable
    Windows IDE. However, the Linux tools for development on this platform
    leave the proprietary stuff *for* *dead* .

    All the possible software tools I could ever want are available to me at no
    cost apart from the bandwidth to download them and the minimal amount of
    time to install them.

    I was trying to price up the "Windows-World" cost of all the software I have
    on this box - I stopped counting when I reached *22000* ! Many of the
    programs an software tools I use have Windows "equivalents", but they're
    both ridiculously expensive to lease (you can *never* *buy* Windows or
    Windows software), and they're mostly not up to the job!

    C.

  12. Re: pc nerd one-upmanship

    humble.life enlightened us alt.os.linux.mandrake-(ab)users with:

    > as long as you assume everyone has your time, you're going to fail
    > with the "wintendo" quips

    Troll. I should not even answer, just killfile you.
    At workplace I am using linux as well, and it keeps me more productive
    than clicking my way round in windows. Of course, I often have to
    connect to unix servers using ssh or ftp, or have mounted various
    shares from unix and different windows boxen, with different
    credentials - windows would not allow that due to
    it's "dumb-down-the-user" design rules.
    I still have windows running in a vmware server, as testbed.

    Windows will just give you a cosy feeling when you know you can
    achieve "everything that's expected" (by other clueless people like
    maybe your boss) with clicking around menus and ticking checkboxes.
    There is nothing to gain here, except you learn a few new clicks for
    another program, while you can put together really new and time-saving
    things using linux.

  13. Re: pc nerd one-upmanship

    On Monday 16 October 2006 19:02, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> Without UNIX, there would not be an Internet. Without Windows, the world
    >> would only be a much nicer place.

    > as long as you assume everyone has your time, you're going to fail with
    > the "wintendo" quips

    If you can't take out the time to read the replies to something you yourself
    posted, then it would only be safe to assume that you can also not take out
    the time for reading a manual.

    And by the way, I *know* that I'm very articulate and elaborate, but those
    are traits of my Asperger's Syndrome, as mentioned in another thread
    already and as I've already had to mention on numerous occasions - people
    seem to forget easily.

    And once again: learn how to edit your posts. It is against
    good /Netiquette/ to leave an entire post quoted in when it's totally
    irrelevant to the reader. And totally irrelevant it was, since you didn't
    address any of the points I've made.

    You're just a troll and you know it. Please do us all a favor and go back
    to exclusively using Windows. Preferably with a sufficiently high
    frequency to ensure that some severe virus will install itself on your
    computer and render it unusable for a sufficiently long enough time for us
    to enjoy being freed from your idiotic comments.

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  14. Re: pc nerd one-upmanship

    On Monday 16 October 2006 19:21, Chris Hunter stood up and addressed the
    masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> Bzzz! Wrong answer. Lucasfilm and Pixar use GNU/Linux clusters. The
    >> dinosaurs in "Jurassic Park" were done on SGI IRIX. Paramount Pictures -
    >> makers of "Star Trek", among many others - use various kinds of UNIX
    >> machines for all of their movie and audio editing and special effects.

    > Disney, Pixar and all the other serious animation houses also use variants
    > of UNIX / Linux.

    Actually, Disney is one of the few who haven't converted to GNU/Linux yet,
    but I've picked up the rumor that they are now making the transition.

    >> NASA only uses Windows for their light office work and as the operating
    >> system that displays their pictures on an overhead screen. They use
    >> GNU/Linux and proprietary UNIX systems for everything else.

    > There have been both funny and alarming results from their use of Windoze
    > for overhead projection, including repeated Blue Screens at critical
    > points in missions, in one memorable case leading the assembled press to
    > believe that NASA were "hiding something".

    That's almost as amusing as Bill Gates demonstrating Windows and being
    confronted with a BSOD in front of thousands of people - counting both live
    presences and broadcast viewers. ;-)

    > Windows is just a *poor* *proprietary* *client* for a UNIX world!

    Amen to that!

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  15. Re: pc nerd one-upmanship

    Groovy hepcat Aragorn was jivin' on Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:34:50 GMT in
    alt.os.linux.mandrake.
    Re: pc nerd one-upmanship's a cool scene! Dig it!

    >On Monday 16 October 2006 18:10, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    >masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    >
    >> only helps your ego, and as you're stuck in pc-lala land, god help those
    >> of you in non-hobby production-environments

    >I resent this remark. What makes you think we all work on PC architectures

    [Snip.]

    Please do not feed the trolls. Thank you!

    http://alphalink.com.au/~phaywood/