Installing Java on Mandrake 10 - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Installing Java on Mandrake 10 - Mandrake ; I am a new user, and I have just installed Mandrake 10. I am hoping to install a Java Runtime Environment for Mozilla. I am using KDE desktop. >From the menu: Start, Configure Your Computer, Prompt: Password, (root password), Button: ...

  1. Installing Java on Mandrake 10

    I am a new user, and I have just installed Mandrake 10. I am hoping to
    install a Java Runtime Environment for Mozilla. I am using KDE desktop.
    >From the menu:

    Start, Configure Your Computer, Prompt: Password, (root password),
    Button: OK, Icon: Software Management, Icon: Install, Prompt: Find,
    Java, Pulldown: in names, Button: Search.

    Search results:

    gcc-java-3.3.2-6mdk
    gettext-java-0.13.1-1mdk
    libdbjava3.3-3.3.11-17mdk
    libdbjava4.1-4.1.25.4mdk

    Which package should I select to install the Runtime Environment for
    Mozilla?

  2. Re: Installing Java on Mandrake 10

    jonnumberone@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am a new user, and I have just installed Mandrake 10. I am hoping to
    > install a Java Runtime Environment for Mozilla. I am using KDE desktop.
    >>From the menu:

    > Start, Configure Your Computer, Prompt: Password, (root password),
    > Button: OK, Icon: Software Management, Icon: Install, Prompt: Find,
    > Java, Pulldown: in names, Button: Search.
    >
    > Search results:
    >
    > gcc-java-3.3.2-6mdk
    > gettext-java-0.13.1-1mdk
    > libdbjava3.3-3.3.11-17mdk
    > libdbjava4.1-4.1.25.4mdk
    >
    > Which package should I select to install the Runtime Environment for
    > Mozilla?

    unanswered question

  3. Re: Installing Java on Mandrake 10

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 12:09:32 -0400, wrote:

    > I am a new user, and I have just installed Mandrake 10. I am

    The company and distribution name were changed from Mandrake,
    to Mandriva. I'd strongly suggest a clean install of the
    newest version, Mandriva 2007.0.

    As per http://www.mandriva.com/security/productlifetime support
    for Mandrake 10.0 ended two years ago.

    See http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free for locations to
    download the latest free version, or http://store.mandriva.com/
    if you'd prefer to have the retail version shipped to you.

    hoping to
    > install a Java Runtime Environment for Mozilla. I am using KDE desktop.

    The JRE has to be downloaded from sun.com.
    Go to http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp and select the
    download for "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 9" about half-way
    down the page.

    On that page, after you accept the license, select the
    "Linux RPM in self-extracting file". The actual file you download
    will be called "jre-1_5_0_09-linux-i586-rpm.bin".

    As per the installation instructions on sun's website, you should then
    use a console to make the file executable, run it, and then install it.
    Use the following commands ...

    su (enter root's password)
    cd (/home/user/whateverdirectory/you/downloaded/the/file/to
    chmod a+x jre-1_5_0_09-linux-i586-rpm.bin (this makes the file executable)
    (note you can just type "chmod a+x j" and then press the tab key, to
    expand the filename, instead of typing the whole thing.)
    ../jre-1_5_0_09-linux-i586-rpm.bin (this executes the .bin file, which
    again shows you the license, and asks you to confirm it's ok. It then
    extracts the file jre-1_5_0_09-linux-i586-rpm into the same directory.
    urpmi jre-1_5_0_09-linux-i586-rpm (to actually install it.)

    This will work in Mandrake 10, but I again, I strongly suggest updating.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: Installing Java on Mandrake 10

    On 2006-10-16, jonnumberone@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am a new user, and I have just installed Mandrake 10. I am hoping to
    > install a Java Runtime Environment for Mozilla. I am using KDE desktop.
    >>From the menu:

    > Start, Configure Your Computer, Prompt: Password, (root password),
    > Button: OK, Icon: Software Management, Icon: Install, Prompt: Find,
    > Java, Pulldown: in names, Button: Search.
    >
    > Search results:
    >
    > gcc-java-3.3.2-6mdk
    > gettext-java-0.13.1-1mdk
    > libdbjava3.3-3.3.11-17mdk
    > libdbjava4.1-4.1.25.4mdk
    >
    > Which package should I select to install the Runtime Environment for
    > Mozilla?

    None of those. What you are looking for is a 'Java run-time environment';
    search for jre in the software management interface.

    As David has said, Mandrake 10 is very out of date; if you can, get the
    latest version - Mandriva 2007
    (there are links from there for both paid-for and free versions).

    --
    -- Whiskers

+ Reply to Thread