so your router works in windows - Mandrake

This is a discussion on so your router works in windows - Mandrake ; but not in linux, the wizards don't work.... what are the command line commands to try first?...

  1. so your router works in windows

    but not in linux, the wizards don't work....

    what are the command line commands to try first?

  2. Re: so your router works in windows

    humble.life wrote:

    > but not in linux, the wizards don't work....
    >
    > what are the command line commands to try first?

    You have three possible courses of action:

    1. Try asking your questions in a sensible, polite manner - you'll be
    surprised how helpful people can be!

    2. Learn to use a search engine effectively, and thereby solve your own
    problems.

    3. Fsck off back to Windows, instabilities, viruses, endless reboots,
    expensive unreliable software, DRM, "licenced" software that you *never*
    actually own....

    C.

  3. Re: so your router works in windows

    Chris Hunter wrote:
    > humble.life wrote:
    >
    >> but not in linux, the wizards don't work....
    >>
    >> what are the command line commands to try first?

    > You have three possible courses of action:
    >
    > 1. Try asking your questions in a sensible, polite manner - you'll be
    > surprised how helpful people can be!
    >
    > 2. Learn to use a search engine effectively, and thereby solve your own
    > problems.
    >
    > 3. Fsck off back to Windows, instabilities, viruses, endless reboots,
    > expensive unreliable software, DRM, "licenced" software that you *never*
    > actually own....
    >
    > C.

    count the order of stupid questions that have already been tried, and
    you'll realise which way round this all is

  4. Re: so your router works in windows

    On 2006-10-16, humble.life wrote:
    > but not in linux, the wizards don't work....
    >
    > what are the command line commands to try first?

    Most ethernet connections simply work. How far have you got using the
    manual GUI networking tools in 'configure your computer'?

    Which version of Mandriva are you using?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  5. Re: so your router works in windows

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2006-10-16, humble.life wrote:
    >> but not in linux, the wizards don't work....
    >>
    >> what are the command line commands to try first?

    > Most ethernet connections simply work. How far have you got using the
    > manual GUI networking tools in 'configure your computer'?
    >
    > Which version of Mandriva are you using?

    just put on 2007 one. The onscreen wizards tell me it's working, yet
    the "connect" button stalls, then tells me to recheck in MCC.

  6. Re: so your router works in windows

    humble.life wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2006-10-16, humble.life wrote:
    >>> but not in linux, the wizards don't work....
    >>>
    >>> what are the command line commands to try first?

    >> Most ethernet connections simply work. How far have you got using the
    >> manual GUI networking tools in 'configure your computer'?
    >>
    >> Which version of Mandriva are you using?
    >>

    > just put on 2007 one. The onscreen wizards tell me it's working, yet
    > the "connect" button stalls, then tells me to recheck in MCC.

    p.s. it's now running from hard-drive...

  7. Re: so your router works in windows

    On 2006-10-16, humble.life wrote:
    > humble.life wrote:
    >> Whiskers wrote:

    >>> Most ethernet connections simply work. How far have you got using the
    >>> manual GUI networking tools in 'configure your computer'?
    >>>
    >>> Which version of Mandriva are you using?
    >>>

    >> just put on 2007 one. The onscreen wizards tell me it's working, yet
    >> the "connect" button stalls, then tells me to recheck in MCC.

    > p.s. it's now running from hard-drive...

    Were you able to get on line from Mandriva One, running it from the CD?

    Presumably you're still able to connect using Windows; in that case, as you
    probably guessed, something's not quite right with the settings on your
    Linux system. So, first step: has your NIC been recognised and configured
    correctly? Look in the 'Hardware' section of 'Configure your Computer'
    and see if the entry there under 'Ethernetcard' matches what your Windows
    system identifies that card as. If that looks OK, click on the 'Run config
    tool' button and see how far you get with that, using settings that
    correspond with those known to work in your Windows system.

    (I haven't seen 'Mandriva One 2007', but I have got the 2007 Powerpack and
    I think that should have the same tools).

    --
    -- Whiskers

+ Reply to Thread