cannot start X server - Mandrake

This is a discussion on cannot start X server - Mandrake ; Hello Now only root can start X server on my Mandriva 2006 server. Other received this message : Authentification failed - cannot start X server Perhaps you do not have console ownership. I don't know since when this happens because ...

  1. cannot start X server

    Hello
    Now only root can start X server on my Mandriva 2006 server.
    Other received this message :
    Authentification failed - cannot start X server
    Perhaps you do not have console ownership.
    I don't know since when this happens because I start X server on my server only
    when needed.
    What is the problem and has anybody the solution.
    Regards
    --
    Christian Laborde

    GTS Gestion-Technologie-Services
    True E-mail : remove dash and no spam
    Rte de la Conversion, 20
    CH 1095 Lutry
    Suisse

  2. Re: cannot start X server

    Christian Laborde wrote:
    > Hello
    > Now only root can start X server on my Mandriva 2006 server.
    > Other received this message :
    > Authentification failed - cannot start X server
    > Perhaps you do not have console ownership.
    > I don't know since when this happens because I start X server on my
    > server only when needed.
    > What is the problem and has anybody the solution.
    > Regards

    unanswered question

  3. Re: cannot start X server

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 08:55:16 -0400, Christian Laborde wrote:

    > Hello
    > Now only root can start X server on my Mandriva 2006 server.
    > Other received this message :
    > Authentification failed - cannot start X server
    > Perhaps you do not have console ownership.

    Are you at a console, or connecting via telnet/ssh?
    Are you running as root, or as a user?

    Update your locate database, and check all files found with
    "locate .rpmnew", particularly if they're in /etc/security.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: cannot start X server

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 18:15:39 +0100, humble.life wrote:

    > Christian Laborde wrote:
    >> Hello
    >> Now only root can start X server on my Mandriva 2006 server.
    >> Other received this message :
    >> Authentification failed - cannot start X server
    >> Perhaps you do not have console ownership.
    >> I don't know since when this happens because I start X server on my
    >> server only when needed.
    >> What is the problem and has anybody the solution.
    >> Regards

    > unanswered question

    What is your problem, Win-troll? Leave.

    --
    "Ubuntu" - an African word meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

  5. Re: cannot start X server

    On Monday 16 October 2006 19:15, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > Christian Laborde wrote:
    >> Hello
    >> Now only root can start X server on my Mandriva 2006 server.
    >> Other received this message :
    >> Authentification failed - cannot start X server
    >> Perhaps you do not have console ownership.
    >> I don't know since when this happens because I start X server on my
    >> server only when needed.
    >> What is the problem and has anybody the solution.
    >> Regards

    > unanswered question

    If we were an official helpdesk and you were a paying customer calling upon
    our advice, then you'd have a case. However, this is Usenet - nothing
    other than posts from individuals who share their experiences.

    If you're going to audit us on our ability to address a situation, then at
    least try providing some useful help to the OP yourself.

    And by the way, not everyone of us gets to see every post made here. That's
    not how the Usenet works. For instance, a reply can appear to someone's
    newsfeed earlier than the post it is a reply to, and another example is
    that my ISP's newsservers simply drops posts from a certain size on.

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)