Give suggestion to read a linux book - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Give suggestion to read a linux book - Mandrake ; hi all i am new to the linux except with few commands give some information about book and Author which u have read and it is usefull ... bye sathya...

  1. Give suggestion to read a linux book

    hi all
    i am new to the linux except with few commands give some information
    about book and Author which u have read and it is usefull ...
    bye
    sathya

  2. Re: Give suggestion to read a linux book

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 04:51:18 -0700, sathyanarayanan wrote:

    > hi all
    > i am new to the linux except with few commands give some information
    > about book and Author which u have read and it is usefull ...
    > bye
    > sathya

    I'm not sure if this will help. About three years ago I was guided
    towards 'Running Linux' by O'Reilly. It gives you a good understanding
    of how it and various commands work but very early on I developed two
    negative criticisms:

    1) It had an out-of-date feel about various applications and felt a bit
    2.2 when we were about to leave 2.4 kernels for the new all-singing-
    -and dancing 2.6 kernels.

    2) As a reference work, its index is dreadful. Eveery time I wanted to
    look up something, I could not find it quickly (and in some cases
    not at all). However, if you are prepared to Google a bit and fill
    your own lever-arch files with downloaded supplements, its not a
    bad place to start.

    If they cured the two above points, it would be excellent.

    HTH

    Alan

  3. Re: Give suggestion to read a linux book

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 04:51:18 -0700, sathyanarayanan wrote:

    > hi all
    > i am new to the linux except with few commands give some information
    > about book and Author which u have read and it is usefull ...
    > bye
    > sathya

    Best ones I've seen recently are: "Ubuntu for non-geeks" and "Ubuntu Hacks".

  4. Re: Give suggestion to read a linux book

    sathyanarayanan wrote:

    > hi all
    > i am new to the linux except with few commands give some information
    > about book and Author which u have read and it is usefull ...
    > bye
    > sathya

    Often recommended, Rute, http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

    A networking reference http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/ , scroll down
    page to individual chapters like
    http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/w..._to_Networking

  5. Re: Give suggestion to read a linux book

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 04:51:18 -0700, sathyanarayanan wrote:
    >
    >> hi all
    >> i am new to the linux except with few commands give some information
    >> about book and Author which u have read and it is usefull ...
    >> bye
    >> sathya

    > I'm not sure if this will help. About three years ago I was guided
    > towards 'Running Linux' by O'Reilly. It gives you a good understanding
    > of how it and various commands work but very early on I developed two
    > negative criticisms:
    >
    > 1) It had an out-of-date feel about various applications and felt a bit
    > 2.2 when we were about to leave 2.4 kernels for the new all-singing-
    > -and dancing 2.6 kernels.
    >
    > 2) As a reference work, its index is dreadful. Eveery time I wanted to
    > look up something, I could not find it quickly (and in some cases
    > not at all). However, if you are prepared to Google a bit and fill
    > your own lever-arch files with downloaded supplements, its not a
    > bad place to start.
    >
    > If they cured the two above points, it would be excellent.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Alan

    indeed

  6. Re: Give suggestion to read a linux book

    sathyanarayanan wrote:
    > hi all
    > i am new to the linux except with few commands give some information
    > about book and Author which u have read and it is usefull ...
    > bye
    > sathya

    diverted responsibility in general,

    thus unanswered question...

  7. Re: Give suggestion to read a linux book

    sathyanarayanan ha scritto:

    > hi all
    > i am new to the linux except with few commands give some information
    > about book and Author which u have read and it is usefull ...
    > bye
    > sathya

    I find the rute linux guide to be very useful.
    you can find it here:

    http://members.toast.net/art.ross/rute/

    santo

  8. Re: Give suggestion to read a linux book

    Santo ha scritto:

    > sathyanarayanan ha scritto:
    >
    > > hi all
    > > i am new to the linux except with few commands give some information
    > > about book and Author which u have read and it is usefull ...
    > > bye
    > > sathya

    > I find the rute linux guide to be very useful.
    > you can find it here:
    >
    > http://members.toast.net/art.ross/rute/
    >
    > santo

    sorry the rightlink is this one...