Mandriva Linux Kernel Source? - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Mandriva Linux Kernel Source? - Mandrake ; All: Where would the best website or ftp site be in order to download Mandriva Linux 2007 source? Thank you. Keith...

  1. Mandriva Linux Kernel Source?

    All:
    Where would the best website or ftp site be in order to download Mandriva
    Linux 2007 source? Thank you.

    Keith

  2. Re: Mandriva Linux Kernel Source?

    Keith Lee wrote:

    > All:
    > Where would the best website or ftp site be in order to download Mandriva
    > Linux 2007 source? Thank you.
    >
    > Keith

    Go to www.easyurpmi.zarb.org/ and follow the instructions. Add the
    appropriate urpmi sources....

    C.

  3. Re: Mandriva Linux Kernel Source?

    Chris Hunter wrote:
    > Keith Lee wrote:
    >
    >> All:
    >> Where would the best website or ftp site be in order to download Mandriva
    >> Linux 2007 source? Thank you.
    >>
    >> Keith

    > Go to www.easyurpmi.zarb.org/ and follow the instructions. Add the
    > appropriate urpmi sources....
    >
    > C.

    i used to love thac's rpms for music-making stuff. pretty good.

  4. Re: Mandriva Linux Kernel Source?

    Keith Lee wrote:
    > All:
    > Where would the best website or ftp site be in order to download Mandriva
    > Linux 2007 source? Thank you.
    >
    > Keith

    The way to download the Mandriva Kernel source is to use the "Configure
    your Computer" system configuration tool (use the menu to go to "System
    -> Configuration -> "Configure Your Computer" In the software section
    you can configure your sources, and then install the kernel sources
    using the MCC software install tool. (you may still want to go to
    easyurpmi.zarb.org to add the plf and plf-nonfree sources, as well)

    --
    ****** Warning - Highly US-Centric .sig approaching! ******
    The only way to differentiate "The War on Terrorism"

  5. Re: Mandriva Linux Kernel Source?

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 23:42:37 +0000, James J. Dines wrote:

    >> Where would the best website or ftp site be in order to download Mandriva
    >> Linux 2007 source? Thank you.

    > The way to download the Mandriva Kernel source is to use the "Configure
    > your Computer" system configuration tool (use the menu to go to "System
    > -> Configuration -> "Configure Your Computer" In the software section
    > you can configure your sources, and then install the kernel sources
    > using the MCC software install tool. (you may still want to go to
    > easyurpmi.zarb.org to add the plf and plf-nonfree sources, as well)

    He didn't say he wanted to "install" the kernel source, he said he wanted
    to "download" it. There's a difference, in case you didn't know. By the
    way, what would PLF have to do with kernel source? Do you know the
    difference between "source code" and "urpmi sources"? LOL

    Of course, anyone not smart enough to know where to look for the Mandriva
    kernel source (the OP) probably wouldn't know what to do with it, anyway.

    --
    "Ubuntu" - an African word meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

  6. Re: Mandriva Linux Kernel Source?

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 23:42:37 +0000, James J. Dines wrote:
    >
    >>> Where would the best website or ftp site be in order to download Mandriva
    >>> Linux 2007 source? Thank you.

    >> The way to download the Mandriva Kernel source is to use the "Configure
    >> your Computer" system configuration tool (use the menu to go to "System
    >> -> Configuration -> "Configure Your Computer" In the software section
    >> you can configure your sources, and then install the kernel sources
    >> using the MCC software install tool. (you may still want to go to
    >> easyurpmi.zarb.org to add the plf and plf-nonfree sources, as well)

    > He didn't say he wanted to "install" the kernel source, he said he wanted
    > to "download" it. There's a difference, in case you didn't know. By the
    > way, what would PLF have to do with kernel source? Do you know the
    > difference between "source code" and "urpmi sources"? LOL
    >
    > Of course, anyone not smart enough to know where to look for the Mandriva
    > kernel source (the OP) probably wouldn't know what to do with it, anyway.

    Dan,

    Back off a bit, and think.

    The OP probably needs a copy of the source to allow installation
    of an NVIDIA driver or something else that needs the source code
    for compilation and installation.

    If the OP does the easy urpmi routine, he will get a source that
    will provide the kernel source code (it is routinely placed in
    the updates source -- to get a compiled kernel you have to go
    elsewhere) as well as some things that will help him later.

    Why complain about giving the OP what he likely needs plus
    a little extra help?

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    Unix is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  7. Re: Mandriva Linux Kernel Source?

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:41:04 +0000, James D. Beard wrote:

    >>> The way to download the Mandriva Kernel source is to use the "Configure
    >>> your Computer" system configuration tool (use the menu to go to "System
    >>> -> Configuration -> "Configure Your Computer" In the software section
    >>> you can configure your sources, and then install the kernel sources
    >>> using the MCC software install tool. (you may still want to go to
    >>> easyurpmi.zarb.org to add the plf and plf-nonfree sources, as well)

    >> He didn't say he wanted to "install" the kernel source, he said he wanted
    >> to "download" it. There's a difference, in case you didn't know. By the
    >> way, what would PLF have to do with kernel source? Do you know the
    >> difference between "source code" and "urpmi sources"? LOL

    > The OP probably needs a copy of the source to allow installation
    > of an NVIDIA driver or something else that needs the source code
    > for compilation and installation.

    Maybe that's what he wants, yes. That isn't what he said, though.

    > If the OP does the easy urpmi routine, he will get a source that
    > will provide the kernel source code (it is routinely placed in
    > the updates source -- to get a compiled kernel you have to go
    > elsewhere) as well as some things that will help him later.

    I understand that. What does PLF have to do with any of that?

    --
    "Ubuntu" - an African word meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

  8. Re: Mandriva Linux Kernel Source?

    > >> Where would the best website or ftp site be in order to
    > >> download Mandriva Linux 2007 source? Thank you.

    You'll find it on the Mandriva Free DVD and the Mandriva PowerPack DVD.

    mandriva-free-2007-DVD:
    kernel-source-2.6.17.5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm
    kernel-source-2.6.17.5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.x86_64.rpm

    mandriva-powerpack-2007-DVD:
    kernel-source-stripped-2.6.17.5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm
    kernel-source-stripped-2.6.17.5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.x86_64.rpm

    Since you wanted to download it, you can find it on the Mandriva mirrors
    websites in a directory like these ones:

    ftp://mirror/pub/linux/mandrivalinux...a/main/release
    ftp://mirror/pub/linux/mandrivalinux...a/main/release

    Replace "mirror" with a mirror's FQDN name.

    Like others have said, if you configure urpmi to get source from a
    mirror, then it can download the above sources.

    G'luck....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  9. Re: Mandriva Linux Kernel Source?

    On 18 Oct 2006 15:29:25 GMT, Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > Since you wanted to download it, you can find it on the Mandriva mirrors
    > websites in a directory like these ones:
    >
    > ftp://mirror/pub/linux/mandrivalinux...a/main/release
    > ftp://mirror/pub/linux/mandrivalinux...a/main/release
    >
    > Replace "mirror" with a mirror's FQDN name.

    As an FYI, other mirrors found at http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    and some mirrors might use
    /pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux
    instead of /pub/linux/mandrivalinux