Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007 - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007 - Mandrake ; All: How does one connect to a dialup connection with 2007 on the command line? I have tried pppd but to no avail. Thank you. Keith...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007

    All:
    How does one connect to a dialup connection with 2007 on the command
    line? I have tried pppd but to no avail. Thank you.

    Keith

  2. Re: Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007

    Keith Lee wrote:
    > All:
    > How does one connect to a dialup connection with 2007 on the command
    > line? I have tried pppd but to no avail. Thank you.
    >
    > Keith

    welcome to throat-swallowing and ditching-back-to-windows

  3. Re: Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007

    On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 18:32:23 -0700, Keith Lee wrote:
    > All:
    > How does one connect to a dialup connection with 2007 on the command
    > line? I have tried pppd but to no avail. Thank you.

    If wanting an internet connection established, pppd is the route to
    follow. Turning on debug options should help you get farther down the
    road.

    Do read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    You will have to provide your best working attempt for anyone to help
    you. Do munge/change account name and passwords in your responses.

    I have seen lots of pppd questions answered in other newsgroups
    so you may want to use http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    so search for error messages you get from your attempts.

  4. Re: Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007

    On Monday 16 October 2006 17:08, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > Keith Lee wrote:
    >> All:
    >> How does one connect to a dialup connection with 2007 on the command
    >> line? I have tried pppd but to no avail. Thank you.
    >>
    >> Keith

    > welcome to throat-swallowing and ditching-back-to-windows

    What makes you believe people were running Windows prior to Mandriva 2007?
    Wishful thinking perhaps?

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007

    Aragorn wrote:
    > On Monday 16 October 2006 17:08, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    > masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    >
    >> Keith Lee wrote:
    >>> All:
    >>> How does one connect to a dialup connection with 2007 on the command
    >>> line? I have tried pppd but to no avail. Thank you.
    >>>
    >>> Keith

    >> welcome to throat-swallowing and ditching-back-to-windows

    > What makes you believe people were running Windows prior to Mandriva 2007?
    > Wishful thinking perhaps?

    lol,

    it's pragmatics, no company builds the X86 architecture without an OS in
    mind....

  6. Re: Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007

    On Monday 16 October 2006 17:54, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > Aragorn wrote:
    >> On Monday 16 October 2006 17:08, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    >> masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    >>> welcome to throat-swallowing and ditching-back-to-windows

    >> What makes you believe people were running Windows prior to Mandriva
    >> 2007? Wishful thinking perhaps?
    >>

    > lol,
    >
    > it's pragmatics, no company builds the X86 architecture without an OS in
    > mind....

    When Intel devised the 8086, I can assure you that they had no specific OS
    in mind. And besides, UNIX has already been around since 1969, while
    Windows was only first conceived - as an originally very poor GUI running
    on top of MS-DOS - in the mid-to-late 1980's.

    UNIX has always been more modern than anything Microsoft has ever come up
    with - excluding their own proprietary XENIX, which they licensed off of
    SCO and which was also a UNIX system - and GNU/Linux is a UNIX-like
    operating system.

    By the way, Sun's UltraSPARC workstations run Solaris, DEC's Alpha-based
    workstations ran DEC Unix, SGI's MIPS-based workstations and servers run
    IRIX, IBM's PPC-based systems run AIX, Hewlett Packard's PaRISC systems run
    HP/UX, and Apple's OS-X is based upon FreeBSD.

    So now you know what a serious operating system looks like, and it's not
    anything like Windows. ;-)

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  7. Re: Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007

    Aragorn wrote:
    > On Monday 16 October 2006 17:54, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    > masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    >
    >> Aragorn wrote:
    >>> On Monday 16 October 2006 17:08, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    >>> masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    >>> What makes you believe people were running Windows prior to Mandriva
    >>> 2007? Wishful thinking perhaps?
    >>>

    >> lol,
    >>
    >> it's pragmatics, no company builds the X86 architecture without an OS in
    >> mind....

    > When Intel devised the 8086, I can assure you that they had no specific OS
    > in mind. And besides, UNIX has already been around since 1969, while
    > Windows was only first conceived - as an originally very poor GUI running
    > on top of MS-DOS - in the mid-to-late 1980's.
    >
    > UNIX has always been more modern than anything Microsoft has ever come up
    > with - excluding their own proprietary XENIX, which they licensed off of
    > SCO and which was also a UNIX system - and GNU/Linux is a UNIX-like
    > operating system.
    >
    > By the way, Sun's UltraSPARC workstations run Solaris, DEC's Alpha-based
    > workstations ran DEC Unix, SGI's MIPS-based workstations and servers run
    > IRIX, IBM's PPC-based systems run AIX, Hewlett Packard's PaRISC systems run
    > HP/UX, and Apple's OS-X is based upon FreeBSD.
    >
    > So now you know what a serious operating system looks like, and it's not
    > anything like Windows. ;-)

    we had sun ultra-sparcs where i worked before. everything beowolf'd,
    used to control imaging from MRI scanners. the real-time video of
    someones insides became a possibility with these, although prior
    experiments using apple-macs were pretty good too.

    anyhow, it's a time thing, not a knowledge thing...

  8. Re: Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:08:47 +0100, humble.life wrote:

    > Keith Lee wrote:
    >> All:
    >> How does one connect to a dialup connection with 2007 on the command
    >> line? I have tried pppd but to no avail. Thank you.
    >>
    >> Keith

    > welcome to throat-swallowing and ditching-back-to-windows

    Humble:
    Actually, I managed to find out about wvdial and it works fine.

    Keith

  9. Re: Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007

    Keith Lee wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:08:47 +0100, humble.life wrote:
    >
    >> Keith Lee wrote:
    >>> All:
    >>> How does one connect to a dialup connection with 2007 on the command
    >>> line? I have tried pppd but to no avail. Thank you.
    >>>
    >>> Keith

    >> welcome to throat-swallowing and ditching-back-to-windows

    > Humble:
    > Actually, I managed to find out about wvdial and it works fine.
    >
    > Keith

    good on you

  10. Re: Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007

    humble.life wrote:

    > welcome to throat-swallowing and ditching-back-to-windows

    Don't be silly - *shut* *up* if you don't know the answer and live up to
    your nickname.

    C.

  11. Re: Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007

    Keith Lee wrote:

    > All:
    > How does one connect to a dialup connection with 2007 on the command
    > line? I have tried pppd but to no avail. Thank you.
    >
    > Keith

    I think it's *wvdial* - I'm going to have to find out later today myself!

    Chris

  12. Re: Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007

    Chris Hunter wrote:
    > humble.life wrote:
    >
    >> welcome to throat-swallowing and ditching-back-to-windows

    > Don't be silly - *shut* *up* if you don't know the answer and live up to
    > your nickname.
    >
    > C.

    oh i love the distance created by a computer screen, it allows for
    anything risky

  13. Re: Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007

    Chris Hunter wrote:
    > Keith Lee wrote:
    >
    >> All:
    >> How does one connect to a dialup connection with 2007 on the command
    >> line? I have tried pppd but to no avail. Thank you.
    >>
    >> Keith

    > I think it's *wvdial* - I'm going to have to find out later today myself!
    >
    > Chris

    cheat, you read it when he said it

  14. Re: Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 18:10:31 +0100, humble.life wrote:

    >> Don't be silly - *shut* *up* if you don't know the answer and live up to
    >> your nickname.

    > oh i love the distance created by a computer screen, it allows for
    > anything risky

    How about you just bugger off and leave, you ignorant ****ing Win-troll.
    If you like windoze better, go use it.

    Get lost doofus.

    --
    "Ubuntu" - an African word meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

  15. Re: Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 18:12:32 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > How about you just bugger off and leave, you ignorant ****ing Win-troll.
    > If you like windoze better, go use it.
    >
    > Get lost doofus.

    Dan, dan, why waste effort in a response.
    Extract header and text body, give a Netiquette violation reason for
    the report and send it to news@individual.net

    We have see the results of just plonking our current troll.
    Let's all try something different.

  16. Re: Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007

    Quoth Bit Twister :

    > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 18:12:32 -0500, Dan C wrote:
    >>
    >> How about you just bugger off and leave, you ignorant ****ing
    >> Win-troll. If you like windoze better, go use it.
    >>
    >> Get lost doofus.

    > Dan, dan, why waste effort in a response.
    > Extract header and text body, give a Netiquette violation reason for
    > the report and send it to news@individual.net
    >
    > We have see the results of just plonking our current troll.
    > Let's all try something different.

    It's good that Dan has a proper target again. Sick 'em boy!

    Have y'all noticed who _isn't_ posting during this nutjob's spate of
    clutter? Hmmm... my guess is paranoia will cause him to chime in,
    "Not me!" even though he hasn't been named and was very active recently
    until newtroll appeared. I think this troll is just that other troll
    but on meds. ;-)
    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  17. Re: Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 23:55:19 GMT, Big Yellow Hats wrote:

    > It's good that Dan has a proper target again. Sick 'em boy!

    It would be more constuctive to report abusive behaviour
    and save Mandriva/Mandrake newsgroup from the trolls.

  18. Re: Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:00:07 -0500, Bit Twister wrote:

    > It would be more constuctive to report abusive behaviour
    > and save Mandriva/Mandrake newsgroup from the trolls.

    Assuming the ISP gives a hoot...

    Isn't "individual.net" one of those who is known not to care?

    --
    "Ubuntu" - an African word meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

  19. Re: Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:16:45 -0500, Dan C wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:00:07 -0500, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> It would be more constuctive to report abusive behaviour
    >> and save Mandriva/Mandrake newsgroup from the trolls.

    > Assuming the ISP gives a hoot...
    >
    > Isn't "individual.net" one of those who is known not to care?

    I do not know.

    We will not find out until we keep their email box running full with
    each violation.

  20. Re: Connecting to dialup on command line with 2007

    On Sun, 15 Oct 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
    , Keith Lee wrote:

    > How does one connect to a dialup connection with 2007 on the command
    >line? I have tried pppd but to no avail. Thank you.

    What happens? Does the computer catch on fire or somethin'?

    http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
    http://www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

    That page will lead you through writing a script. For the average ISP, the
    script will look something like:

    [compton ~]$ cat /usr/local/bin/dialin
    #!/bin/bash
    exec /usr/sbin/pppd connect "/usr/sbin/chat -f /etc/ppp/dialscript" lock \
    defaultroute noipdefault nodetach /dev/modem 115200 crtscts user cmarvel
    [compton ~]$

    There must not be anything after the \ in that line.

    [compton ~]$ cat /etc/ppp/dialscript
    ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' "" AT&F1 OK ATDT2662902 CONNECT \d\c
    [compton ~]$

    That modem init string is for a US Robotics - nearly all others use
    AT&F0. Some claim that ATZ is acceptable, but that depends on what you
    had previously stored in NVRAM, and is not a reliable situation.

    In addition to these two scripts, you will need to set your username
    and password in the file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets (/etc/ppp/chap-secrets may
    be used instead - create both) in the form

    cmarvel * p42Sw0rD~

    Those secrets files should be chmod 600 (-rw-------) and owned by root.
    You _may_ want to make /usr/sbin/pppd SUID (chmod 4755) if you want an
    ordinary user to run the command. You will also need to set the DNS
    nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf to those of your ISP. But the results
    are a bit smaller than the windoze wannabe crap like wvdial.

    And of course, all of this assumes you have a real modem, and not some
    brane-dead loosemodem. See the Modem-HOWTO for details.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast