mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router - Mandrake

This is a discussion on mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router - Mandrake ; Hi, i've tried all the in-built wizards to try and get mandriva 2007 (one) working on the network and it all fails, can't even get to router (192.168.1.1), anyone got any suggestions?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    Hi, i've tried all the in-built wizards to try and get mandriva 2007
    (one) working on the network and it all fails,

    can't even get to router (192.168.1.1),

    anyone got any suggestions?

  2. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    humble.life wrote:
    > Hi, i've tried all the in-built wizards to try and get mandriva 2007
    > (one) working on the network and it all fails,
    >
    > can't even get to router (192.168.1.1),
    >
    > anyone got any suggestions?

    First, "all the in-built wizards" means nothing to me, and might
    well vary depending on what you installed.

    Second, if your browser cannot contact your router, that would
    seem to be the problem. It would help if we knew what router
    you are using (precisely, model, ethernet or whatever, etc).

    So, try 192.168.0.1 as the address for the router. If that does
    not work, use another machine to download the manual for the
    router from the manufacturer's website and find out how to
    access it properly.

    You may need to reboot the router, or restore it to factory
    defaults. The manual should contain instructions.

    Once all that is done, if you still cannot access the router,
    sort out what hardware and software you are actually attempting
    to use, and post here again. It might help if you were to go to
    Google and look in this forum for the FAQ, which has lots of
    nifty tips on how to ask questions that have a chance of getting
    answers.

    jim b.

    --
    Unix is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 01:11:31 +0100, humble.life wrote:

    > Hi, i've tried all the in-built wizards to try and get mandriva 2007
    > (one) working on the network and it all fails,
    >
    > can't even get to router (192.168.1.1),
    >
    > anyone got any suggestions?

    No. I think you had better just give up.

    --
    "Ubuntu" - an African word meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

  4. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 01:11:31 +0100, humble.life wrote:

    > Hi, i've tried all the in-built wizards to try and get mandriva 2007
    > (one) working on the network and it all fails,
    >
    > can't even get to router (192.168.1.1),
    >
    > anyone got any suggestions?

    Is your ethernet card working first ? ( assuming your using an ethernet
    connection)

    Dave

  5. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    James D. Beard wrote:
    > humble.life wrote:
    >> Hi, i've tried all the in-built wizards to try and get mandriva 2007
    >> (one) working on the network and it all fails,
    >>
    >> can't even get to router (192.168.1.1),
    >>
    >> anyone got any suggestions?

    > First, "all the in-built wizards" means nothing to me, and might
    > well vary depending on what you installed.
    >
    > Second, if your browser cannot contact your router, that would
    > seem to be the problem. It would help if we knew what router
    > you are using (precisely, model, ethernet or whatever, etc).
    >
    > So, try 192.168.0.1 as the address for the router. If that does
    > not work, use another machine to download the manual for the router from
    > the manufacturer's website and find out how to access it properly.
    >
    > You may need to reboot the router, or restore it to factory defaults.
    > The manual should contain instructions.
    >
    > Once all that is done, if you still cannot access the router,
    > sort out what hardware and software you are actually attempting to use,
    > and post here again. It might help if you were to go to Google and look
    > in this forum for the FAQ, which has lots of nifty tips on how to ask
    > questions that have a chance of getting answers.
    >
    > jim b.

    i'm using linux mandrake 2006 (as in subject line)

    i'm using gs8100 based router (as in subject line)

    as their is only one network wizard for mandrake 2006, you're an idiot

  6. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 01:11:31 +0100, humble.life wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, i've tried all the in-built wizards to try and get mandriva 2007
    >> (one) working on the network and it all fails,
    >>
    >> can't even get to router (192.168.1.1),
    >>
    >> anyone got any suggestions?

    > No. I think you had better just give up.

    indeed, winXP has no problems, so i'll stick with that

  7. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    gort wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 01:11:31 +0100, humble.life wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, i've tried all the in-built wizards to try and get mandriva 2007
    >> (one) working on the network and it all fails,
    >>
    >> can't even get to router (192.168.1.1),
    >>
    >> anyone got any suggestions?

    > Is your ethernet card working first ? ( assuming your using an ethernet
    > connection)
    >
    > Dave

    thankyou for reading and listening....

    yes, it all works in winXP,2000 and even 98....

    I'm downloading 2007 to see if that helps,

    The GS8100 (glovespan virata) is working as DNS and seems to allocate
    automatically (rebooted in win XP run ipconfig /all and watched the
    numbers change....)

    However mandriva is not giving any useful feedback to give further clues.

    (And I just don't want to go back to gentoo/debian cronning and
    fstabbing, it's a time thing.... And why I went for mandrake.....)

    So, my question is, do you have any "wake-up" command-line suggestions?
    i've routed through the internet (win windows) over the past month and
    nyadda, all advice is given as if it is the only thing that will work,
    if you see what i mean.

    Looks good though with KDE and the swimming windows, and it's nice
    having nvidia automatically installed.

  8. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    On Monday 16 October 2006 15:16, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > indeed, winXP has no problems, so i'll stick with that

    I take it you mean "no problems that *you* can discern"? Looking at its
    base design, I would say it has a *lot* of problems, and no patchset in the
    world is going to cure those.

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  9. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    Aragorn wrote:
    > On Monday 16 October 2006 15:16, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    > masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    >
    >> indeed, winXP has no problems, so i'll stick with that

    > I take it you mean "no problems that *you* can discern"? Looking at its
    > base design, I would say it has a *lot* of problems, and no patchset in the
    > world is going to cure those.

    the thing i've realised with windows is this,

    90% of it works as it says it's going to work.

  10. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    On Monday 16 October 2006 17:55, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > Aragorn wrote:
    >> On Monday 16 October 2006 15:16, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    >> masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    >>
    >>> indeed, winXP has no problems, so i'll stick with that

    >> I take it you mean "no problems that *you* can discern"? Looking at its
    >> base design, I would say it has a *lot* of problems, and no patchset in
    >> the world is going to cure those.
    >>

    > the thing i've realised with windows is this,
    >
    > 90% of it works as it says it's going to work.

    No, that's what it wants you to believe. ;-)

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  11. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    Aragorn wrote:
    > On Monday 16 October 2006 17:55, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    > masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    >
    >> Aragorn wrote:
    >>> On Monday 16 October 2006 15:16, humble.life stood up and addressed the
    >>> masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    >>> I take it you mean "no problems that *you* can discern"? Looking at its
    >>> base design, I would say it has a *lot* of problems, and no patchset in
    >>> the world is going to cure those.
    >>>

    >> the thing i've realised with windows is this,
    >>
    >> 90% of it works as it says it's going to work.

    > No, that's what it wants you to believe. ;-)

    hehe, i know what you're saying, the sluggishness a few months after
    install, the dreadful control of the hard-drive (built to fragment!)

    but, they've really really got the front-end market all in all.

    i wish i had the time for mandrake's nuances, but i don't, and therefore
    i have to work with the way the world is. i don't have the power to
    wipe all microsoft and just slap people into mandrake/mandriva, i just
    don't...

  12. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    humble.life wrote:

    > indeed, winXP has no problems, so i'll stick with that

    /No/ /problems/ - really? Windows is fundamentally broken, has an
    inherently flawed "security" model, has integral instabilities, is open to
    every virus, trojan, keylogger and the rest... It relies on "proprietary"
    code - most of which was blatantly /stolen/ from CP/M, BSD, Unix, Apple and
    other /proprietary/ code. Microsoft /have/ to try to keep "their" code
    secret, otherwise the people who /really/ wrote it may want to be paid!

    Just how many times do you want to reboot your machine?

    Chris

  13. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    Chris Hunter wrote:
    > humble.life wrote:
    >
    >> indeed, winXP has no problems, so i'll stick with that

    > /No/ /problems/ - really? Windows is fundamentally broken, has an
    > inherently flawed "security" model, has integral instabilities, is open to
    > every virus, trojan, keylogger and the rest... It relies on "proprietary"
    > code - most of which was blatantly /stolen/ from CP/M, BSD, Unix, Apple and
    > other /proprietary/ code. Microsoft /have/ to try to keep "their" code
    > secret, otherwise the people who /really/ wrote it may want to be paid!
    >
    > Just how many times do you want to reboot your machine?
    >
    > Chris

    i haven't had to reboot in about a year of regular use

    so, what are the commands for knocking Ethernet into action?

    su
    eth0
    dhcpcd -d
    ping www.google.com

    the above is supposed to kick-start connection to the network (whereupon
    a nice router is awaiting) however it ain't happening.

    any suggestions?

    P.S.

    the only thing forcing me to reboot is mandriva, statistically...

    if i have to install from source, or build drivers from tar.gz i'm going
    to go crazy.... that's not the point of mandriva, that's the point of
    gentoo...

  14. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    humble.life wrote:

    > i haven't had to reboot in about a year of regular use

    Either you're running Linux, or you haven't installed or removed any
    software, installed, changed or removed any hardware, updated your
    "anti-virus" nonsense, or actually /used/ the machine at all.

    C.

  15. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    Chris Hunter wrote:
    > humble.life wrote:
    >
    >> i haven't had to reboot in about a year of regular use

    > Either you're running Linux, or you haven't installed or removed any
    > software, installed, changed or removed any hardware, updated your
    > "anti-virus" nonsense, or actually /used/ the machine at all.
    >
    > C.

    windows xp isn't actually that bad, vista beta is ****ing dreadful, slow
    and clunky and against the idea the development must mean refinement...

    anyhow, you didn't comment on the commands, i'm giving mandriva 8 more
    hours before it comes off...

  16. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:09:20 -0400, humble.life wrote:

    > so, what are the commands for knocking Ethernet into action?

    Try "service network stop" followed be "service network start"
    (as root). This can be done from the mcc gui, under services,
    but I find it' easier to use the command line.

    If that fails to get things working, try posting the output of
    "ifconfig", "route", and "cat /etc/resolv.conf".

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  17. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:09:20 -0400, humble.life wrote:
    >
    >> so, what are the commands for knocking Ethernet into action?

    > Try "service network stop" followed be "service network start"
    > (as root). This can be done from the mcc gui, under services,
    > but I find it' easier to use the command line.
    >
    > If that fails to get things working, try posting the output of
    > "ifconfig", "route", and "cat /etc/resolv.conf".
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    thankyou very much,

    i'll go and try it now.

  18. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:41:47 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:09:20 -0400, humble.life wrote:
    >
    >> so, what are the commands for knocking Ethernet into action?

    > Try "service network stop" followed be "service network start" (as root).

    "service network restart" is just as good. ;-)

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`ˇ.¸¸.ˇ´¯`ˇ-> freemontŠ <-ˇ´¯`ˇ.¸¸.ˇ´¯

  19. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    freemont wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:41:47 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:09:20 -0400, humble.life wrote:
    >>
    >>> so, what are the commands for knocking Ethernet into action?

    >> Try "service network stop" followed be "service network start" (as root).

    > "service network restart" is just as good. ;-)

    well, if you're interested, read below

  20. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    humble.life wrote:
    > freemont wrote:
    >> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:41:47 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    >>> Try "service network stop" followed be "service network start" (as
    >>> root).

    >> "service network restart" is just as good. ;-)
    >>

    > well, if you're interested, read below

    or above!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast