mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router - Mandrake

This is a discussion on mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router - Mandrake ; David W. Hodgins wrote: > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:09:20 -0400, humble.life wrote: > >> so, what are the commands for knocking Ethernet into action? > > Try "service network stop" followed be "service network start" > (as root). ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:09:20 -0400, humble.life wrote:
    >
    >> so, what are the commands for knocking Ethernet into action?

    > Try "service network stop" followed be "service network start"
    > (as root). This can be done from the mcc gui, under services,
    > but I find it' easier to use the command line.
    >
    > If that fails to get things working, try posting the output of
    > "ifconfig", "route", and "cat /etc/resolv.conf".
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    tried it, cut and pasted it to a textfile, but the floppy disk refuses
    to mount. I don't wish to burn through blank DVDs....

    the "route" output is giving, rightly, 192.168.1.1 and the mac addresses
    are showing from "ifconfig"

    but niether konquerer or firefox find their way to 192.168.1.1

    my guess is when they do, it'll just connect to the internet anyway.

    sorry i can't give a dump, I don't have the time to print and type it
    all (hence trying to use mandriva over gentoo....)

    thanks for your help anyway.

  2. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:18:01 -0400, humble.life wrote:

    > the "route" output is giving, rightly, 192.168.1.1 and the mac addresses
    > are showing from "ifconfig"

    I gather from that, that you're using a router. Have you tried
    resetting (power off/on) the router?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:18:01 -0400, humble.life wrote:
    >
    >> the "route" output is giving, rightly, 192.168.1.1 and the mac addresses
    >> are showing from "ifconfig"

    > I gather from that, that you're using a router. Have you tried
    > resetting (power off/on) the router?
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    yes.

    i've passed some scripts that remove (effectively) the NAT and switch on
    ZipB. In windows, this has the effect of eliminating the need for a NAT
    entry per application/port.

    I'm wondering if this could stop mandriva, however i'm suprised that I
    don't at least get the router homepages, bearing in mind the feedback
    from "route"

  4. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    Quoth humble.life :

    > James D. Beard wrote:
    >> humble.life wrote:
    >>> Hi, i've tried all the in-built wizards to try and get mandriva 2007
    >>> (one) working on the network and it all fails,
    >>>
    >>> can't even get to router (192.168.1.1),
    >>>
    >>> anyone got any suggestions?

    >> First, "all the in-built wizards" means nothing to me, and might
    >> well vary depending on what you installed.
    >>
    >> Second, if your browser cannot contact your router, that would
    >> seem to be the problem. It would help if we knew what router
    >> you are using (precisely, model, ethernet or whatever, etc).
    >>
    >> So, try 192.168.0.1 as the address for the router. If that does
    >> not work, use another machine to download the manual for the router
    >> from the manufacturer's website and find out how to access it
    >> properly.
    >>
    >> You may need to reboot the router, or restore it to factory defaults.
    >> The manual should contain instructions.
    >>
    >> Once all that is done, if you still cannot access the router,
    >> sort out what hardware and software you are actually attempting to
    >> use,
    >> and post here again. It might help if you were to go to Google and
    >> look in this forum for the FAQ, which has lots of nifty tips on how
    >> to ask questions that have a chance of getting answers.
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>

    > i'm using linux mandrake 2006 (as in subject line)
    >
    > i'm using gs8100 based router (as in subject line)
    >
    > as their is only one network wizard for mandrake 2006, you're an idiot

    Webmin is the only thing available for Mandrake 2006?!?

    I coulda sworn there were other options. I guess all the hubub about
    "choice" concerning Linux is just a pack of lies. Speaking of which,
    _you_ appear to be an odd mash-up of troll, newbie, and nutcase... a
    combination indistinguishable from an idiot.
    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  5. Re: mandrake 2006 - network and gs8100 router

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 15:06:27 -0400, humble.life wrote:

    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> I gather from that, that you're using a router. Have you tried
    >> resetting (power off/on) the router?

    > yes.
    >
    > i've passed some scripts that remove (effectively) the NAT and switch on
    > ZipB. In windows, this has the effect of eliminating the need for a NAT
    > entry per application/port.

    Sorry, I missede the router in the subject before. From a search on the
    router, I found
    http://www.portforward.com/english/r...S8100index.htm
    and
    http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

    > I'm wondering if this could stop mandriva, however i'm suprised that I
    > don't at least get the router homepages, bearing in mind the feedback
    > from "route"

    In the route output, is eth0 shown in a default entry?

    After a "service network restart", are what messages are showing in
    /var/log/syslog, related to the network startup?

    What security level do you have set? (run draksec, to check).

    Have you configured iptables using one of the "firewall" frontends,
    such as shorewall, or guarddog?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2