Re: Clicking on a URL lInk in Thunderbird 1.0.7 - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Re: Clicking on a URL lInk in Thunderbird 1.0.7 - Mandrake ; Bit Twister wrote: Sorry man, but you are seeing things wrong: If kmail opens all links with konqueror, then why shouldn't thunderbird open links with firefox? What about mozilla suite? mozilla mail & news opens links with mozilla. One thing ...

  1. Re: Clicking on a URL lInk in Thunderbird 1.0.7

    Bit Twister wrote:

    Sorry man, but you are seeing things wrong:

    If kmail opens all links with konqueror, then why shouldn't thunderbird open
    links with firefox?
    What about mozilla suite? mozilla mail & news opens links with mozilla.

    One thing is to recomend not to do it, another thing is to proibit it.

    Cump's
    ArameFarpado

  2. Re: Clicking on a URL lInk in Thunderbird 1.0.7

    On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 16:33:49 +0100, ArameFarpado wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    > Sorry man,

    No need to be sorry or apologise when having a resonable discussion.

    > but you are seeing things wrong:

    Impress me.

    > If kmail opens all links with konqueror, then why shouldn't thunderbird open
    > links with firefox?
    > What about mozilla suite? mozilla mail & news opens links with mozilla.

    Hmmm, that logic would indicate we intergrate everything like Micro$oft.
    After all, with 4080 new threats created last month it must be working
    well.

    > One thing is to recomend not to do it, another thing is to proibit it.

    Yes, but an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure.

    I kind of hear where you are comming from but I think you might agree
    it would realy choke down one major path for malware exploits.
    With criminals starting to make it big business, we need safegards to
    help protect us from the point-n-click crowd.

    Crackers are going after more and more of the applications "Features"
    Just one example http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1783
    I have been seeing more and more security suggestions to disable java
    and javascript. Upside has been faster renering webpages for me with
    java/javascript disabled.

    The point is, you have more protection cutting the visible link from
    the email and pasting that text into a browser instead of having a
    possible/probable malware link passed automagically for you.

    I can understand where "It is your system, and you should be able to do
    what you want, when you want to.", but:

    Exploited systems become our problem when the expoited system is used
    in a manor which harms us, be it higher bank fees to offset stolen
    funds via keyloggers, or attacks against the infrastructure that
    brings you water food and enegery.

    Just being *real careful* with email is falling over on it's face.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10...s_on_the_rise/

+ Reply to Thread