how to change the boot loader - Mandrake

This is a discussion on how to change the boot loader - Mandrake ; i am relatively new to linux . i would like to know the diffrrence bw GRUB and LILO.which one is better? and how can i change my boot loader and also would i like to know how Ext3 is better ...

  1. how to change the boot loader

    i am relatively new to linux . i would like to know the diffrrence bw
    GRUB and LILO.which one is better? and how can i change my boot loader
    and also would i like to know how Ext3 is better than Ext2 and about
    the consistency check problem in Ext2 and how is it removed in Ext3.
    Any good links on bash scripts tutorials would be welcome as well.

  2. Re: how to change the boot loader

    On 15 Oct 2006 07:52:20 -0700, SHANK4U@gmail.com wrote:
    > i am relatively new to linux .

    Welcome to the group. As a newbie, you might find the following helpful

    Before you start posting questions about linux, please read

    /var/log/messages on Mandriva/Mandrake is the error log.

    The first rule is "Always run in a user account", not the
    root (superuser) account. You use the root account to make system
    changes and is the fastest way to trash your system if you type in
    the wrong command.

    Second rule, keep an admin diary/log of how and what you change.
    That will become your brain book, and help during a clean
    install, or an upgrade which wipes out a configuration file a year
    from now.

    Do you have the window manager up and running? If not, do a
    startx

    Now, right click and middle click your mouse buttons on the desktop,
    on the task bar, Then every icon you find.

    You might want to look at
    http://www.dsl.org/cookbook/cookbook_toc.html
    http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/
    http://linuxcommand.org

    You can bring up a console window and
    do a man man
    and man info
    to see how to get help.
    Do a man bash
    to see what you can do with the shell.
    Next cat /etc/profile
    cat ~/.bash_profile
    to see what sets up your envrionment.

    You can do a
    locate -i index.htm
    cut/paste results into your browser

    You can examine files in /etc/rc.d/init.d for batch/script examples.

    Once you have that down you can start on
    http://www.tldp.org/

    Jimchip posted *A compilation from a recent thread*

    http://rute.sourceforge.net/ is currently very good.

    Visit the Unix Gurus at:
    http://www.ugu.com/sui/ugu/show?ugu

    Others in no particular order:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/bash.html
    http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/rute.html.gz Rute User's Tutorial & Exposition
    http://www.shelldorado.com
    http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/
    http://www.linuxnewbie.org/ is a little out of date
    http://www.dsl.org/cookbook
    http://linux.org.mt/article/terminal
    http://www.tldp.org
    http://www.mandrakeuser.org
    http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/index.shtml

    Then there's always a very large faq search engine:

    You might want to try this
    and put
    oG6Ja.3191$425.131248@newsfep2-gui.server.ntli.net
    in the Message ID box

    > i would like to know the diffrrence bw
    > GRUB and LILO.which one is better?

    The one that is better is the one which works best for you.
    If you have gone to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ and set your manin,
    contrib and update mirror, you can click up a terminal and do
    su - root
    urpmi howto-html-en --auto
    urpmi mandrake-doc-Command-Line-en --auto
    urpmi mandrake-doc-Starter-en --auto
    urpmi mandrake-doc-Drakxtools-Guide-en --auto
    urpmi man-pages --auto
    urpmi info --auto

    > and how can i change my boot loader

    You run the bootloader's command line install command line or use
    the Mandriva Control Center gui interface.

    > and also would i like to know how Ext3 is better than Ext2 and about
    > the consistency check problem in Ext2 and how is it removed in Ext3.

    Do you have a pointer to that "consistency check problem in Ext2"?

    > Any good links on bash scripts tutorials would be welcome as well.

    http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html

    --------- standard search tip follows ---------------------

    Please bookmark the following, very large,
    Frequently Asked Questions (faq) Search engine:

    key word(s) in the first box
    *linux* in Newsgroup box. You need to use the two
    asterisks around linux, pick English

    If you want/need more control over the first box search,
    http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html

    --------- end standard search tip text ---------------------

  3. Re: how to change the boot loader

    good on you for bothering