On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 06:39:43 -0700, Keith Lee wrote:

> All:
> I have looked around and attempted to find this out for myself; but, to
> no avail. How does one set the preference in Thunderbird 1.0.7 so that
> when one clicks on a link in an email message, firefox opens up to that
> URL? As aforementioned, I have changed the KDE settings so my default
> browser is firefox.
>
> Keith

I asked this recently and received a comprehensive reply that I cannot put
my finger on (senility). However, I googled on 'Firefox and Thunderbird
Integration In KDE' without the quotes and found a usful series of
to save and cosmetise them for future reference.

HTH

Alan

January 03, 2005
Firefox and Thunderbird Integration In KDE
You would have thought this was easy, but Googling turned up nothing useful (the KDE pref some people mention is mysteriously absent on my Mandrake 10.0 install) and so it took me half an hour. Here's the trick:
Firefox: in about:config, set:
network.protocol-handler.expose.mailto=true
network.protocol-handler.app.mailto=/path/to/thunderbird
Thunderbird: install AboutConfig, invoke it, and set:
network.protocol-handler.expose.http=true
network.protocol-handler.app.http=/path/to/firefox
This then pops up a "handle file type" dialog (not sure why) - pick the firefox executable again. This may not be the most efficient way, but it worked for me.
Posted by gerv at January 3, 2005 07:37 PM

Gerv,
That is an incorrect use of the "expose" preferences. Those make the application expose the protocol handler via X-remote. So, your settings attempt to make T-bird be the default http:// handler for your desktop. That isn't what you want. Likewise, you don't want Firefox to handle mailto: links.
Posted by: Darin Fisher at January 3, 2005 09:32 PM
Thanks Darin. But could elaborate on how to do it correctly? tm.
Posted by: tm at January 3, 2005 09:51 PM
This probably isn't too helpful, but in Debian (running under GNOME) it just works. I'm not sure what they did to make it work, but I always found it odd that people had problems getting the two to work together. For me they just "always" (since I've been using them) did. Perhaps looking at the Debian packages might give some additional insight.
Posted by: Andy at January 3, 2005 10:32 PM
I looked around for this problem about a month ago. It was for Debian/GNU Linux + KDE. I just changed the following config settings in Thunderbird and Firefox respectively.
network.protocol-handler.app.http mozilla-firefox
network.protocol-handler.app.https mozilla-firefox
network.protocol-handler.app.mailto mozilla-thunderbird
After these were set, it seems to work allright for both mailto and http(s). As either of them are not KDE applications, this has to be this way. Otherwise, KDE applications can be set to use any available browser/email client by setting the optoin in KDE's Component Chooser. I was also thinking of tinkering with "discover", but the problem is solved(for now).
Posted by: KDS at January 3, 2005 11:12 PM
> Thanks Darin. But could elaborate on how to do it correctly? tm.

I suspect it should be sufficient to simply leave out the "expose" prefs as mentioned by KDS above.
Posted by: Darin Fisher at January 4, 2005 05:15 AM
I can confirm it still works without the expose prefs set.
Posted by: Gerv at January 6, 2005 09:06 PM
This works, but if firefox is already open, and I click an http link in thunderbird, another instance of firefox is spawned, and I'm asked to choose a user profile. Found a way around this?
Posted by: Nick at January 21, 2005 04:14 AM
since Firefox 1.0 there's a preference setting called something like "open links from other apps in new tabs instead of new windows".
HTH
Posted by: Guido at February 4, 2005 07:21 PM
January 03, 2005