C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer 11 - Linux

This is a discussion on C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer 11 - Linux ; High Plains Thumper wrote: > Following are excerpts from the official FAQ: > > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++ > + + > + C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer + > + Edition: 11 - 1/19/07 + > + Group: comp.os.linux.advocacy + > ...

  1. C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer 11

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

> [...]
    > any help.
    >
    > 6.2 Q: Why does everyone think they are better than you when using
    > Linux?
    > A: Same as above. When people use Linux they believe since it
    > takes
    > a little more knowledge to use Linux, they are technically
    > superior,
    > and see themselves as an elite group that doesn't have time for
    > the
    > pathetic little Windows people.
    >
    > (more to come...)
    >
    > SECTION SEVEN - LINUX ADVOCACY, HELPING OR HURTING?
    >
    > 7.1 Q: Everyone in here says linux is perfect, why would they say that
    > if it isn't?
    > A: We really don't know. Maybe they've used Linux so long that
    > they've gotten used to it. Some of these people haven't used
    > Windows in years so they are comparing Linux to the last
    > windows
    > they used, maybe Windows 3.1 or 95.
    >
    > 7.2 Q: Why does everyone call you a troll when you ask something that
    > questions linux?
    > A: Most of the people here in C.O.L.A. think of Linux more like a
    > religion than an OS. They mostly are MS haters and feel that
    > Linux is the greatest thing to ever hit computing. So when
    > someone questions Linux it's like questioning their belief
    > system. Instead of looking at it with some logic and
    > reasonable
    > judgment, they will lash out at you can't claim your are a
    > troll
    > or a paid MS supporter.
    >
    > 7.3 Q: Why does everyone you if you question Linux?
    > A: Fairly similar to above, Linux advocates can not argue their
    > point rationally. So to make it look like you are under them
    > or
    > you are not worth it, and at the same time find an easy way out
    > of having to prove themselves, they will you.
    >
    > (more to come...)
    >
    > SECTION EIGHT - LINUX EVANGELISM, ZEALOTS
    >
    > 8.1 Q: There are some people that call this FAQ lies and seem to treat
    > it
    > like it's a conspiracy against them, and post all sorts of
    > links
    > anti-microsoft articles. Why are they reacting so strongly?
    > A: The people that are reacting so strongly are most likely the
    > Linux
    > extremists that believe everything negitive that is said about
    > Linux
    > comes from Microsoft. Like many cult-like groups, the people
    > that
    > belong to them don't have the ability to see things rationally
    > or
    > outside of their view. If someone replies to the FAQ, or
    > anything
    > questioning a non-favorable view on Linux, that seems a little
    > "over the edge", do a google search on the person
    > (http://groups.google.com/) and look at his/her posting history
    > then
    > decide for yourself if the person is credible or not.

  2. Re: C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer 11

    Anonymous wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:

    Liar.

    >> Following are excerpts from the official FAQ:
    >>
    >> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++
    >> + +
    >> + C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer +
    >> + Edition: 11 - 1/19/07 +
    >> + Group: comp.os.linux.advocacy +
    >> + +
    >> + Copyright (c) 2002-2007 Linux Reality Team +
    >> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++

    >> SECTION EIGHT - LINUX EVANGELISM, ZEALOTS
    >>
    >> 8.1 Q: There are some people that call this FAQ lies

    Simply because it is.

    Following are excerpts from the official FAQ, entire text is found at:

    Copyright: (c) 2002 The FAQ and Primer for COLA Team -- All Rights
    Reserved

    Frequently Asked Questions and Primer for comp.os.linux.advocacy

    Edition III

    April 19, 2002

    | Beware of those who would call you a friend for |
    | many will eat your bread while working against |
    | you. They will take credit for your good works |
    | and blame you for their own misdeeds. |
    | - The Great Unknown |

    1.1 Availability

    This document is posted on a weekly to the comp.os.linux.advocacy,
    comp.answers, and news.answers newsgroups. In addition it is archived
    at rtfm.mit.edu ftp archive and its mirrors and is also available on
    the Internet FAQ Consortium's website at www.faqs.org.

    1.2 Welcome to comp.os.linux.advocacy

    If you are new to Linux and/or comp.os.linux.advocacy, welcome. It is
    hoped that you will will enjoy your time in comp.os.linux.advocacy and
    find it educational. We also hope that you will find Linux as useful
    for you. and that in the ripeness of time that you will become a
    contributing member of the Linux community.

    COLA is like a meeting hall for Linux advocacy. A place where those
    who advocate the use of Linux can meet and discuss all things Linux.
    In addition it is a place were individuals interested in Linux can
    come to gain an understanding of the Linux and the Linux community and
    to learn about the capabilities of Linux from those who are
    experienced with the use, administration, and development of Linux.

    By using Linux as a user or sysadmin you are a member of the Linux
    community of which this newsgroup is an asset. The Linux community is
    world-wide and interconnected by the internet and other networks gated
    to the internet.

    The description that your news server delivers to you for
    comp.os.linux.advocacy, or COLA for short, is "Benefits of Linux
    compared to other operating systems". That description is derived from
    the charter of COLA. Sometimes advocacy groups are viewed as a place
    where the bickering undesirables of other newsgroups are directed, in
    order to remove a disruption from another group on the same general
    subject. That is incorrect for COLA.

    1.3 Contributing to this FAQ and Primer

    All those who advocate the use of Linux are invited to submit material
    and suggestions to be considered for future versions of this document.
    Submissions should be sent by email to mjcr@mindspring.com. You may
    also post your submissions in COLA; however, in that case you should
    still email your submission as well, so that the submission will not
    be missed as can happen if it were posted in COLA only.

    Submissions offered by those who may deemed to be hostile to Linux,
    including but not limited to anti-Linux propagandists, will not be
    accepted.

    1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy

    The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:

    For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating
    systems.

    That single sentence is the one and only charter of the newsgroup
    comp.os.linux.advocacy. The newsgroup's charter is for the newsgroup
    as a place for supporters of Linux to gather to discuss Linux, for the
    betterment of the Linux community and the promotion and development of
    Linux. It supports this as a place for those who would like to learn
    more about Linux to come to learn from those who know Linux. It does
    not call for it to be a place where the anti-Linux propagandists to
    gather in order to discredit Linux.

    You may have heard of another charter sometimes called by some the
    "original charter," that opens the newsgroup to the abuses that are
    inflicted on Linux by those who oppose Linux. That other charter never
    existed, it was a proposed charter for another newsgroup that never
    was created that would also have been called comp.os.linux.advocacy.

    On 14 Feb 1994, Danny Gould dgould@helix.nih.gov posted
    comp.os.linux.advocacy-RFD1@uunet.uu.net a Request for Discussion
    entitled "Request for Discussion (RFD) on comp.os.linux.advocacy" to
    the news.groups newsgroup. That RFD was cross posted to the
    appropriate newsgroups and a number of other inappropriate newsgroups
    as well. It included the following proposed charter:

    The proposed group will provide a forum for the discussion of Linux.
    In addition, it will allow comp.os.linux.misc to deal with Linux-
    specific issues. Discussion will include (but not be limited to) the
    discussion of the pros and cons of Linux and applications for Linux,
    and the comparison of Linux with other operating systems and
    environments such as Microsoft DOS and Windows, SCO UNIX, Coherent,
    NeXTstep, Macintosh System, etc. It will be an unmoderated forum.

    The call for votes on the proposal was not posted, the issue died
    without a vote.

    On 4 Oct 1994, Dave Sill de5@ornl.gov posted 37mn57$dhs@rodan.UU.NET a
    Request for Discussion entitled "REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
    comp.os.linux reorganization." Thus far comp.os.linux.advocacy was not
    yet proposed. Note that unlike Danny, Dave posted the Request for
    Discussions to appropriate newsgroups only, that is a hallmark of a
    serious effort.

    On 14 Oct 1994, Dave Sill de5@de5.ornl.gov posted
    37mn57$dhs@rodan.UU.NET a revised version of this Request for
    Discussion, this revised posting called for the creation of
    comp.os.linux.advocacy among other comp.os.linux.* groups. Dave
    proposed this charter for comp.os.linux.advocacy:

    For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating
    systems.

    The Call for Votes went out in the required form, and on 13 Dec 1994
    posted the results ikluft@amdahl.com with greater than 8 to 1 in favor
    of the creation of comp.os.linux.advocacy (our COLA) with Dave's
    proposed charter. On that date, that charter became effective and that
    other charter that was proposed for the other comp.os.linux.advocacy
    that never was created, never became anything that affects this
    comp.os.linux.advocacy.

    Those who oppose Linux and have invaded comp.os.linux.advocacy in
    order to try to subvert the purpose of this newsgroup will continue as
    they have to insult the intelligence of the Linux advocates by citing
    that other proposed charter of that other newsgroup that never came
    into existence. They also have continued to quote from the
    introductory paragraph of the Danny's Request for Discussion as though
    that were a part of any actual or even a part of the failed, proposed
    charter. Perhaps they feel that the introductory section provides them
    with a greater impact.

    When someone posts citations from that failed Request for Discussion
    in order to make it appear that the anti-Linux propagandists are
    sanctioned to be posting in COLA, as was done by an anti-Linux
    propagandist on January 13, 2002 in article
    pMr08.457$Wf1.316644@ruti.visi.com, then once again by another anti-
    Linux propagandist on February 13, 2002 in article
    d6761fb5.0202131955.6c3b9f22@posting.google.com they are not only
    using disinformation they are also insulting the intelligence of
    everyone who is a reader COLA.

    2 COLA

    2.1 On Topic Subjects

    On-topic is anything anything regarding Linux that is of interest to a
    person who advocates the use of Linux, or requests for information
    about Linux by a person who would like to learn about it. COLA is also
    a great place to share your Linux success stories.

    COLA is not a place to advocate the use of other operating systems,
    there are other newsgroups for advocating them. COLA is not a place to
    vent real or imagined complaints regarding Linux. There are other
    newsgroups created for that purpose.

    COLA is not a place to post advertisements or other promotions for
    financial gain or for promoting anything other than the use of Linux
    operating system and growth of the Linux community.

    3 Linux

    Linux is an operating system based on the unix class of operating
    systems. It can be argued that Linux is the kernel of the operating
    system; however, in common usage the word Linux is used to refer to
    entire operating system as a whole, an operating system comprised of
    the kernel, systems utility software, user utility software and to a
    lesser extent the applications software. This is the practice that
    will be followed in this document. Specific instances of this from
    given vendors are referred to as Linux Distributions.

    Linux as stated above, is based on unix, but is not legally a clone of
    the unix operating system. On the other hand it looks like unix,
    behaves like unix, feels like unix enough to functionally be
    considered a unix. Linux is more compatible with both major classes of
    unix, BSD and AT&T, than they are with each other. Linux fully
    operates with with the other unixes as an equal peer via networking.

    Linux runs software compatible with those other unixes and in most
    cases the very same software does run on each of those unixes and
    Linux as well. Where the other unixes have deviated from each other
    with various utilities or services, Linux typically supports both of
    their styles of utilities. Often Linux is more compatible with the
    various unixes, than they are with each other.

    Linus Torvalds started developing Linux from scratch as a better unix
    than than the Minix that was then available. Minix is a contraction of
    Minimal Unix, and is the name of a very minimal unix that was licensed
    for educational purposes. The name Linux is in turn a contraction of
    Linus's Minix, although the actual results of Linus's early releases
    had already so far out classed Minix so that Linus's Unix would have
    been a better base to form the contraction Linux.

    One of the major goals of creating Linux was to create a unix that was
    free from the encumbrances of existing unixes and the licensing that
    restricted the use of Minix. So it was necessary to write the Linux
    kernel from scratch.

    The Linux operating system provides all the features that users and
    administrators should expect from any modern, high-performance
    operating system. Many of these features have been a part of Linux and
    stable for years. While the developers of various, so-called popular
    operating systems claim to be innovating, they are only playing catch
    up with Linux. As this document is being written, Linux is increasing
    its lead with the
    development on the 2.5.x series developmental/experimental kernels.

    3.1 The Kernel

    The Kernel is the core of the operating system. That is the part that
    communicates with devices, handles memory management, schedules
    processes, and provides other basic services to the systems utility
    software, user utility software and applications software. Thanks to
    the fact that the kernel handles the hardware and provides a uniform
    view of it to higher level software, regardless of your hardware
    platform, Linux will present the user with a uniform environment. That
    means that once you as a user of Linux learn to run it on a PC, or a
    Mac, or a minicomputer, or a mainframe computer you will be able to
    sit down to use Linux on any other of the supported platforms, and
    feel right at home. The hardware may look and feel different such as a
    different key layout or a different pointing device, but Linux
    knowledge is portable across hardware platforms. Members of the team
    that produced this document can attest to this, through their first
    hand experience on multiple hardware platforms running Linux.

    Many versions of the Linux kernel have been released, in fact since
    the release of the Linux kernel version 1.0.0 in there have been over
    600 official main line kernels released, including the AC series of
    Linux kernels there have been almost 900 releases in that time. The
    reason for so many releases has to do with the development of the
    kernel being an open process, this way you don't have to wait for
    months or years for a needed patch to be provided or for a feature
    that you really need to be made available.

    3.9 Linux's Compatibility With Other Operating System

    Linux is compatible at different levels with many other operating
    systems, ranging from the networking level all the way to running the
    same software.

    3.9.1 Compatible With Windows

    Linux can run Windows software by running that software under the
    actual Windows operating system (requiring a properly licensed copy of
    Windows) that is in turn running as a guest operating system in a PC
    emulator such as VMware. Linux can also run Windows software on Linux
    itself with an implementation of the Windows Application Programming
    Interface (API) via Wine. It is also possible to compile the source
    code for Windows based
    software on Linux and link it against the Wine libraries to produce a
    Linux executable of that Windows software. One note about Wine, Wine
    can only run on PC style hardware, since it is not a PC emulator
    hardware, and runs the Windows software directly on the underlying
    processor.

    Linux can provide network printers and act as a fileserver for Windows
    computers by running Samba using TCP/IP networking. You can also use
    MarsNWE to provide printers and network volumes using IPX/SPX
    networking. Linux can also access shares and printers provided by
    computers running Windows by the use of Samba and the Samba
    filesystem. Linux can also be a file, and print server to Windows
    clients by using Samba. Linux machines
    can access Windows machines that are emulating NetWare file servers by
    using the NetWare core protocol filesystem.

    Linux can read and write to Windows hard drive partitions that use the
    filesystems of MS-DOS and Windows 9x. The NTFS filesystem are a bit
    problematic because of their nature and they way their specifications
    change from version to version. Linux can read Windows NT, Windows
    2000, and Windows XP NTFS partitions well; however, writing directly
    to such partitions is possible but not recommended.

    There is an indirect method for Linux to read and write to NTFS
    partitions. Running Windows under a PC emulator such as VMware, give
    that copy of Windows access to the NTFS partition or partitions and
    have that copy of Windows running as a fileserver. Then let Linux
    access the fileserver through a virtual or actual network connection.

    Linux understands the Windows extensions to the CD-ROM standards.
    Linux can both read them and generate them. Linux can also access
    Windows diskettes and other disk media, either by mounting them as any
    other Linux partition can be mounted, or by the use of the mtools.

    3.9.3 Compatible With MacOS

    Linux can provide network printers and act as a fileserver for
    Macintosh computers. Linux can access Macintosh based print servers
    and fileserver.

    Linux can read and write Macintosh floppies, hard drives, and other
    disk media.

    3.10 Linux Leaves Users Wanting Less

    From them 1950's through the 1970's users would expect their computers
    to operate as specified in the manuals and the specification sheets.
    The POP manuals (Principal of Operations manuals) and the rest of the
    documentation of those computers were considered to be faithful
    representations of the operations of those computers.

    There was one computer that was installed in 1964, the organization
    that owned it decommisioned it in 1984, and wanted to donate it to a
    college computer science department but they had lost the installation
    media of the machine's operating system. The computer was running
    twenty-four hours a day and seven days a week for those twenty years
    without a single reboot or any down time. There were components that
    had failed: individual tape drives and card readers/punches had worn
    out and were replaced, CRT terminals were added and the most of the
    card readers, the old model 26 keypunch stations and most of the model
    29 keypunch stations were retired. Disk drives were added to that
    computer years after the initial installation, None of that needed any
    downtime or reboots.

    In the 1970's there was the development of microprocessors and
    microcomputers, most of them matched their operating systems in what
    ever form they came in and were as reliable as the computers of the
    prior decade. Some of the hardware was problematic but the operating
    systems would generally operate as specified.

    In the early 1980's something started to change. Today many users have
    come to accept and even expect their computers and operating system to
    fail frequently, many shops now use regular reboot cycles as an
    attempt to use pre-emptive reboots to avoid crashes at unexpected
    times. They have come to expect their operating systems and systems
    software and applications software to not work as documented. What is
    even worse, they often see nothing wrong with that madness. In prior
    decades, if such undependability and unreliability were experienced, it
    would not have not been acceptable and the vendor would have to replace
    those useless systems and often had to pay for the customer's losses as
    well.

    Now flash forward to present day, users have come to expect very
    little from their computers. Such poor performance has led them to
    expect less and less while wanting more and more with little prospect
    of getting it. But in addition to such unreliable operating systems,
    there is Linux, leaving its users wanting less and less because it
    provides more and more all the time.

    * A stable operating system. Linux users no longer want for a
    stable operating system because Linux is as stable operating system.
    Twenty four hours, seven days a week non-stop operation for years at
    a time with off the shelf PC hardware is not anything unusual for
    Linux. As members of the FAQ and Primer team can attest to from
    personal experience.

    * An operating system that doesn't require me to spend a fortune on
    new hardware. Linux can run on hardware with just the computing power
    needed or that is available. Linux sysadmins upgrade to more powerful
    hardware to have more power available for their users, not to regain
    yesterday's performance from today's operating system.

    * An operating system with a decent graphical user interface.
    Or rather one that can be configured to work the way you want it too.
    With the look and feel you seek. Linux does not actually have any
    graphical user interfaces, but the X Windowing System is commonly run
    on Linux and other unixes. There are also other graphical user
    interface besides the X Window System that can run on Linux, including
    some next generation test bed systems. If a Linux user wishes he can
    run today a user interface that won't be available elsewhere for years
    or even decades, that is if he likes to live on the bleeding edge.

    * An operating system with lots of useful stuff built in. Much of
    what a person needs to purchase to get some other operating systems to
    be useful comes with the common Linux distributions. Sometimes in
    surprising ways, such as the little program named "cat" that
    concatenates files and is the more powerful original that the DOS
    command "type" was copied from. The program "cat" also provides by
    itself much of the functionality of Norton Ghost.

    * An operating system that doesn't try to prevent me from using my
    computer. Linux does not second guess or interfere with the human
    decision making process. It respects the wisdom of the human sysadmin
    and the user. There are utilities available to automate that, but in
    the end humans are the bosses. There has been a call for more "Windows
    like" automation to take over from human authority, one distribution
    that used that philosophy was Corel Linux. It is now a hated
    distribution by its own users as a result.

    * An OS not prone to viral infections.
    While in theory no operating system can be 100% all worms and viruses,
    Linux by is nature is immune enough that the possibilities that such
    little beasties exist have become like urban legends in the Linux
    community. Even if such infections could target Linux, the
    multifaceted code base would in itself limit the spread, if a sysadmin
    selects the software to run without regard to distributions and does
    not use precompiled binaries, he has just increased the level of
    immunity of his systems. The worst an attacking worm could do is crash
    a server program, but the worm creator could not actually control
    anything with the worm because he could not predict the memory layout
    of the program he is attacking on systems so independent from
    distributions. That same would generally be true with binaries
    supplied from a different distribution or different version than the
    one he is targeting.

    * An operating system which I can program and hack easily
    Anyone can have access to the source code of the Linux kernel and
    most if not all the programs they run on Linux. If one is a
    programmer, Linux provides all the tools and the source code to add or
    alter any feature he pleases. If he wants to write a new program and
    has questions, about the operation of the library functions, or the
    kernel, he can refer to the documentation, ask for help on-line, or
    just read the applicable source code. If he has a device for which he
    want to create a driver for, he can write it. If he wants to see how
    similar drivers work, there is the Linux kernel source code and the
    code of the other drivers available.

    * An operating system which doesn't decay over time.
    Since the late days of DOS programs and the coming of Window NT and
    Windows 95, there has been a pheonoma known as software rot, also
    known as bit rot. With late DOS programs it could take an individual
    program on a production system out of commission needing to be
    reinstalled. Windows 95 and Windows NT elevated the software rot
    phenomenon from causing the decay of individual programs to the decay
    of the entire operating system. This is not a factor with Linux.

    All these items are things that Linux users are not wanting for any
    longer, because Linux has given to them what they have been wanting
    for up to a decade. So yes, Linux leaves its users wanting less,
    because it provides so much more of what they have been hoping for
    from their prior operating system.

  3. Re: C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer 11

    "High Plains Thumper" wrote
    > Anonymous wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Liar.

    *PLONK*
    --
    [FAQ]
[...]

    A: That depends on what distro you try. Most of them will have
    trouble detecting all your hardware. Most new hardware devices
    are not supported. If your lucky you might be able to find
    something that someone threw together on the net. But that's
    after spending a couple hours searching and probably won't take
    advantage of your hardware to it's fullest capability.

    1.2 Q: Once I get it installed, then what?
    A: Then you get the joy of making sure everything is configured
    right. Plan on a minimum of two hours per device to get it to
    work. That's if the device is even supported.

    1.3 Q: What happens if I'm in the middle of an install and the
    installation freezes or just stops?
    A: You get to reboot and start all over again. This happens
    every so often with Linux. It seems like it's buggy install
    routines or something. Ain't Linux grand?

    1.4 Q: What's the deal?! I installed Linux and it took up almost 2GB
    hard drive space!
    A: The Linux distros usually install a LOT of never-used programs
    on the default install. You can pick and choose what you want,
    but good luck figuring out what programs are needed and what is
    useless, obscure tools. Linux usually installs stuff like 10
    different editors, 12 different mail clients, and so on.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION TWO - CONFIGURATION
    ---------------------------

    2.1 Q: What's with all these cryptic files?
    A: All of Linux is configured with cryptic text files. Some of
    the more user-friendly distros have configuration utilities
    that claim to do it for you, but success with these works
    sometimes and other times don't, so sometimes you have to
    edit them by hand. With Linux's spotty reliability in UI
    programming, you might as well get used to it.

    2.2 Q: What is killall, HUP, ls, cat, rm, which, etc and why are
    these programs telling me to do them? Arggg!!
    A: These are command line programs that do things within the
    system. It's what makes Linux a powerful OS for those that
    are experienced with it. But it's also what makes it a pain
    in the arse to use and inefficient as a desktop system. Who
    wants to type all the time when they can just click?!

    (more to come...)

    SECTION THREE - APPLICATIONS
    ----------------------------

    3.1 Q: Where can I get some programs to run on linux?
    A: Good question. Because Linux doesn't have a large user base
    on the desktop,(I think it's about 0.24%, less than 1%)
    companies that make software won't write their programs for
    Linux. There's a lot of community created programs out there,
    and some are fairly good, but those are few and far between.
    Most of the Linux software that tries to mimic it's windows
    counterpart is substandard. It's usually slow and buggy and
    early in development.

    3.2 Q: I tried to install an RPM but I got 'failed dependencies', what
    is that?
    A: That's Linux's version of DLL hell. Different versions and
    distros use different libraries. So unlike windows where
    programs will run on many different versions, Linux programs
    will fail if they're not made for your specific version.

    3.3 Q: What is compiling and configure, make and make install? And
    what is a makefile?
    A: This is a way to build the programs from the source code
    under Linux. When the question above fails, you can always
    build it yourself. The advantage is that it works most of
    the time. The disadvantage is that it takes forever to build
    large programs, you need to know some cryptic commands and
    you have to do all this on a command line. Unlike Windows
    where you just double click and you are done.

    3.4 Q: Can I go to my local store to buy any Linux applications?
    A: Not really. You can buy Linux itself at various stores. But
    not too many commercial companies make applications for Linux,
    there's no profit in it with 0.24% of the desktop market.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION FOUR - SPEED ISSUES
    ---------------------------

    4.1 Q: Why is Linux so slow?
    A: Linux is built on the technology of the old UNIX OS's. Even
    the graphical user interface of Linux is a separate program that
    is the same type they used back in the older UNIX days. So
    working with old technology will give you the old technology
    responsiveness. Also, a lot of the GUI's, although nice to look
    at, are still not mature. Using them is slow and sluggish
    compared to, say, Windows.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION FIVE - CONSISTENCY
    --------------------------

    5.1 Q: Why are the windows different looking?
    A: Since Linux isn't built by one company, group or have any
    governing body, programs and interfaces can vary dramatically.
    You can have everything from the nice look of KDE, to something
    as ugly as TK and everything in between. You'll usually see some
    varying UI stile in Linux.

    5.2 Q: Should I buy Suse Linux?
    A: No. They make it difficult to get it for free. All the other
    distros provide free ISO's to download. Suse is the only one
    that doesn't provide them but instead has a FTP install that's
    hard to get to work. Why should they make it easy? The more
    people that can't get the download to work have to spend $80
    or more for the boxed set. And on top of all that although
    it might have a few more user friendly tools, it's still the
    same base Linux system that's in development and that all the
    other distros are using. In other words, they're all on about
    the same level of struggling to catch up to Windows, so you're
    not going to find any earth-shattering features in one compared
    to another.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION SIX - LINUX COMMUNITY
    -----------------------------

    6.1 Q: What is RTFM?!
    A: This is an acronym for Read The Fuc*ing Manual. This is a
    common
    answer you'll get when asking for help in the Linux community.
    It's meant to make you feel inadequate while boating the Linux
    persons ego at the same time. See, Linux enthusiasts consider
    themselves to be guru like and above helping out the simple
    newbie. You have to earn your respect by spending countless
    hours becoming a kernel hacker before you're worthy of getting
    any help.

    6.2 Q: Why does everyone think they are better than you when using
    Linux?
    A: Same as above. When people use Linux they believe since it
    takes a little more knowledge to use Linux, they are technically
    superior, and see themselves as an elite group that doesn't have time for
    the pathetic little Windows people.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION SEVEN - LINUX ADVOCACY, HELPING OR HURTING?

    7.1 Q: Everyone in here says linux is perfect, why would they say that
    if it isn't?
    A: We really don't know. Maybe they've used Linux so long that
    they've gotten used to it. Some of these people haven't used
    Windows in years so they are comparing Linux to the last windows
    they used, maybe Windows 3.1 or 95.

    7.2 Q: Why does everyone call you a troll when you ask something that
    questions linux?
    A: Most of the people here in C.O.L.A. think of Linux more like a
    religion than an OS. They mostly are MS haters and feel that
    Linux is the greatest thing to ever hit computing. So when
    someone questions Linux it's like questioning their belief
    system. Instead of looking at it with some logic and reasonable
    judgment, they will lash out at you can't claim your are a troll
    or a paid MS supporter.

    7.3 Q: Why does everyone you if you question Linux?
    A: Fairly similar to above, Linux advocates can not argue their
    point rationally. So to make it look like you are under them or
    you are not worth it, and at the same time find an easy way out
    of having to prove themselves, they will you.

    (more to come...)
    SECTION EIGHT - LINUX EVANGELISM, ZEALOTS

    8.1 Q: There are some people that call this FAQ lies and seem to treat
    it like it's a conspiracy against them, and post all sorts of links
    to anti-microsoft articles. Why are they reacting so strongly?
    A: The people that are reacting so strongly are most likely the
    Linux extremists that believe everything negitive that is said about
    Linux comes from Microsoft. Like many cult-like groups, the people
    that belong to them don't have the ability to see things rationally
    or outside of their view. If someone replies to the FAQ, or
    anything questioning a non-favorable view on Linux, that seems a little
    "over the edge", do a google search on the person
    (http://groups.google.com/) and look at his/her posting history
    then decide for yourself if the person is credible or not.

  4. Re: C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer 11

    chrisv wrote:
    > "High Plains Thumper" wrote...
    >> Anonymous wrote:
    >>> High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >> Liar.

    > *PLONK*

    Is that a promise, eh, anonymous coward nym-thief? Good!

    > [FAQ]
    > Welcome to comp.os.linux.advocacy, otherwise known as cola. This
    > FAQ will try to address most of the issues regarding Linux and
    > this group. Unlike the other FAQs, this one will try to be as
    > realistic as possible. If you want the straight information from
    > real people, continue reading. If you would like to be told what
    > you want to hear, or read a bunch of misinformation that you will
    > regret later as you find things don't work as they should, feel free
    > to read one of the other "FAQS" in here.
    >
    > OK, on to the info! ADDED NEW SECTION BELOW!

    > SECTION EIGHT - LINUX EVANGELISM, ZEALOTS
    > 8.1 Q: There are some people that call this FAQ lies

    Simply because it is. Following are excerpts from the official FAQ, entire
    text is found at:

    Copyright: (c) 2002 The FAQ and Primer for COLA Team -- All Rights Reserved

    Frequently Asked Questions and Primer for comp.os.linux.advocacy

    Edition III

    April 19, 2002

    | Beware of those who would call you a friend for |
    | many will eat your bread while working against |
    | you. They will take credit for your good works |
    |and blame you for their own misdeeds. |
    | - TheGreat Unknown |

    (OFFICIAL FAQ CONTINUED)

    7 Anti-Linux Propagandists and Trolls

    The comp.os.linux.advocacy newsgroup is a newsgroup that is under siege by
    one or more factions of anti-Linux propagandists. In the past those
    factions have appeared to be confident and smug; however, as of late it
    appears that they are becoming ever more desperate. The reason for their
    desperation appears to be as a result of growth of the mind share of Linux
    and the continuing failures of their chosen cause. Besides the true
    anti-Linux propagandists there are also the occasional classic newsgroup
    troll.

    It can be difficult to determine what type of person a particular
    disruptive personality is; an anti-Linux Propagandist or just a troll.
    That is because they both use some of the same tactic. What it not
    difficult to determine is what their purpose is when they post to COLA.
    They are doing it to disrupt the newsgroup and sidetrack its purpose of
    existence. Regardless of their reason for the disruption, they are trying
    to prevent: the free exchange of knowledge and support based on experience
    of using Linux that would otherwise be happening in COLA, if it were not
    for their interference.

    The free and open discussions between the experienced users and the new
    users and the would be users of Linux that is our goal. That is the goal
    of all those who would be Linux advocates as well as all others who come
    to COLA to discuss Linux. All of us, Linux users new and old, those
    curious about Linux, and others, have come to COLA as students and as
    teachers. All that is except for the anti-Linux propagandists and the
    trolls, they have come to COLA to destroy it and prevent its being an
    asset to the Linux community.

    As has been stated else where in this document, all are welcome in COLA,
    except those who come to COLA to destroy Linux, COLA, or the Linux
    Community.

    7.1 Disinformation

    If COLA were a physical location like a building where those who would
    advocate the growth of the Linux operating systems and the Linux community
    gather, the anti-Linux propagandists would be raiding that building. They
    would be vandalizing the building, painting graffiti on the walls,
    defecating and urinating on the floors and furniture, breaking down the
    doors, setting fire to the building and physically assaulting the resident
    Linux advocates and the visitors who happen to be in the building at the
    time of the raid.

    COLA is not a physical location, so they have had to adapt their methods
    so that they can do an on-line version of what was described in the prior
    paragraph. A key method used by anti-Linux propagandist to attack Linux,
    its users, sysadmins, developers, advocates and those who have come to
    COLA to lean about Linux. is a form of propaganda known as disinformation.
    One of their favorite version of disinformation is known as FUD.

    7.3 A Common FUD of the Anti-Linux Propagandists

    An example of dishonesty of the anti-Linux propagandists is their common
    claim that the Linux proponents in COLA oppose the use of any other
    operating system. They also would have you believe that the Linux
    proponents in COLA oppose everyone who does not use Linux all the time.
    Those are some of the lies that they use to try to discredit Linux users
    who post in COLA.

    The truth is that a user of one or more operating systems other than Linux
    are not opposed in COLA for that reason alone. Many of the Linux Advocates
    in COLA have experience on many other operating systems besides Linux.
    Many do use multiple operating systems on a regular basis. It is due to
    this experience that any disinformation regarding the capabilities of
    Linux, or that of other operating systems are easily detected by the Linux
    advocates.

    It is not difficult to tell the difference between an anti-Linux
    Propagandist and a true advocates of another operating system. Occasional
    mention of other operating systems is fine. However, it is the frequent or
    continuous promotion of other operating systems that turns a welcome
    poster into an unwelcome troll or anti-Linux propagandist.

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    This is a list of the disinformation tactics that the that the anti-Linux
    propagandists who post in COLA have been using. All of these tactics have
    been used in COLA by the anti-Linux propagandists against the Linux
    advocates and the rest of the COLA readership to further the cause of the
    anti-Linux propagandists. This list has been worded as though you are one
    of them, so that you can better see through their eyes how they think.

    Act offended or claim that opposing viewpoints are incredible and/or
    unbelievable. When you are unable to valid argument to refute a Linux
    advocate, use empty statements such as:
    * "OH PULEEEZE!"
    * "Only a Linonut would say that"
    * "And they wonder why no one takes Linux seriously!"
    * "How dare you say that!"
    * "That's the way to offend thousands!"

    Distract your opponent from the issues at hand by accusing your
    opponents of being "petty", "pathetic", "childish" or any of a number
    of other such terms.

    Put your opponent off guard by insulting him. The liberal use of
    profanity and vulgarisms can be very effective, particularly when used
    against you more dignified opponents. Your experience as a school
    yard bully can be handy here

    Be patronizing, condescending and present an air of superiority. It
    may hide your inferiority to the casual reader. Use phrases like
    "kid" or "son", to elevate your relative apparent authority by
    attempting to diminish that of the Linux advocate you are addressing.

    Discredit your opponent or his position through the use of
    inappropriate laugher and other non-verbal grunts.

    When your tactics are turned on you, call you opponents trolls. Do
    not accept the fact that by calling someone using your tactics a troll
    that makes you the real troll.

    Keep posting non-stop. Flood the group with your idiocy and nonsense.
    Some readers may equate your volume with proof of quality. You will
    tie good Linux advocates in knots trying to refute you and they won't
    have time for real advocacy.

    Brag about destroying newsgroups and threaten to do the same to
    comp.os.linux.advocacy.

    Drive as many good Linux Advocates out of the group as possible.

    10. Refuse to admit your errors
    Never ever admit your errors no matter how blatant they are. If you
    find no way out and have to admit that you are wrong, phrase it so
    that you can accuse your opponent of being wrong.

    11. Never apologize for your misbehavior
    Never ever apologize no matter how out of line you have been behaving.
    If you should ever find it to your advantage to apologize, phrase it
    as a slap in the face of the person who you have already wronged.

    12. Blame your stupidity and lies on your opponent
    Blame your own stupidity on the Linux advocate you are dealing with.
    Such as when you have made an unsupportable claim that suggest a list
    of details and your are asked to present your non-existent list reply
    with, "I don't have to list them for you; you aren't bright enough to
    know what you're missing by using X instead of a real Y, I'm not going
    to explain it to you." Then hope that nobody reading the thread
    realizes that your statement translates as, "I lack the knowledge or
    facts needed to counter your position or your position is too complete
    and accurate to be refuted. So, I will say things to sound superior
    to avoid admitting you are right."

    13. Embarrass your opponent
    Locate or create apparently embarrassing information or detail and
    utilize it out of all proportion-trying to create a scandal around it,
    to hijack a thread or drive everyone to distraction.

    14. Blackmail your opponent
    Locate or create apparently embarrassing information or detail and
    threaten your opponent with exposure to force him to do as you want
    him to. This tactic can be combined with the "Embarrass your opponent"
    tactic if you can no longer get your way though Blackmail.

    15. Avoid answering direct questions
    Avoid answering a direct questions that you fear by claiming to not
    have seen the question then refuse to address it for other reasons.
    Keep it up along with other tactics until your opponent is distracted
    from the question.

    16. Turn a question asked of you back on your opponent
    Better yet, turn the questions back on the Linux Advocate with a
    question like: "What do you think is the `right' answer, lamer?" You
    have now taken the heat off of your ignorance and you have cast doubt
    on the credibility of your opponent.

    17. Don't substantiate your claims
    Refuse to present evidence to support your invalid claims. Repeat your
    invalid claims and have your anti-Linux propagandist comrades do the
    same. Do the same for any invalid claims that you have notice your
    anti-Linux propagandists comrades make.

    18. Don't discuss evidence counter to your position
    Avoid examining or discussing evidence counter to your position. This
    is especially effective when combined with 3.2.8, Dancing Fool,
    wherein you change your position with every post.

    19. Present multiple personalities
    Change your position with every few article you post to
    comp.os.linux.advocacy. Appear to be supporting all sides of the
    issues. You can make a statements or opinion in one posting then
    follow it up with a another post with a contrary opinion. You can even
    get into an argument with yourself. This could cause readers to
    dismiss the subject of the thread.

    20. Narrow the scope of threads so that you can handle it. Narrow the
    scope of the issues that are being addressed in a thread to details
    you feel that you can refute, ridicule, or dismiss leaving the main
    issues unaddressed.

    21. Widen the scope of threads to swamp out the original issue.
    Widen the scope of the issues discussed in a thread to the point that
    the original issues are buried away and hopefully soon forgotten.

    22. Use invalid statistics
    Introduce statistics to try to hurt Linux, Linux Advocates, and/or the
    Linux community at large. Do not about them be valid or real. It would
    be nice if you can find those statistics on-line, but if you can't
    find any, invent them out of whole cloth. If they are discredited,
    don't let that bother you, keep citing them. If you see a fellow
    anti-Linux propagandist using statistics, cite them as well, no matter
    their lack of validity.

    23. Lie
    Lie, lie, lie, lie. If you do it often enough you may create the
    appearance of truth.

    24. Ignore dictionaries when they don't support you
    Rage against the use of dictionaries or other such documents, their
    use can only hurt you and expose your ignorance.

    25. Attack new posters who favor Linux
    Some of these Linux Advocates may be new to Linux and COLA. Show no
    mercy. Pounce upon their innocence with every single one of these
    tactics. If you are lucky you might turn them to your side, at the
    very least you may be able to drive them out of COLA and neutralize
    them as a threat.

    26. Attack typos and ignore the content of the message.
    Point out your opponent's grammatical flaws and spelling errors. By
    doing this you can concentrate on form while ignoring substance. This
    is a very handy method to discredit your opponent and by extension his
    position, without once again exposing your ignorance of the issues
    begin discussed in the thread.

    27. Use Spelling and Grammatical Errors to Distract
    Make statements like, "Why do you nea d to dbug the cernal? Is lienux
    not working agen!" When this tactic works, you have disarmed the
    supporters of Linux who have chosen to ignore you because of your
    idiot act, others may react to your style and fail to refute your
    disinformation. Meanwhile, you have posted your disinformation in
    support your cause.

    28. Start trolling threads
    Start threads with subjects like "Linsux Sux", "Linux fonts are bad",
    etc. Manufacture false evidence to back up your claims when possible,
    but don't worry that that is not important. All that is important is
    that you consume the efforts and resources of Linux Advocate as they
    try to refute your trolling threads and that you scare the new and
    casual readership of COLA.

    29. Unreasonably proclaim your reasonableness
    If your method to deliver anti-Linux propaganda is not among the more
    article style, you can try to claim to be reasonable. Of course if you

    really were reasonable, you would not be an anti-Linux propagandists
    in he first place; however, compared to your more radical comrades you
    may seem to be more reasonable. You can not be certain that the
    readership of COLA will accept your actions as being reasonable
    without your prompting them to think of you that way. So you need
    frequently mention how reasonable you are.

    30. Expose yourself on COLA.
    Post articles in COLA containing ASCII art depicting your body
    including your genitals, either in the message body or in the sig.
    Discuss your bodily functions and your bodily wastes, the more
    disgusting the better. It will tend to drive away more of the casual
    and new readers. The Linux Advocates who are frequent posters may
    become disgusted enough to avoid threads that you involve yourself in.

    31. If it makes Microsoft or Windows look bad call it a rumor
    Claim that anything that tends to make Microsoft or Windows look bad
    is an unfounded rumor and that you opponent is being unfair. If the
    information is obscure enough claim that it is an urban legend, hoping
    that no one knows that many legends are based on fact.

    32. Promote Windows at every opportunity
    Microsoft Windows needs a lot of help to be successful in the mind
    share of its targeted user base. Point out to everybody on COLA how
    wonderful it is. Ignore the meaning of the name of the newsgroup and
    its charter.

    33. Claim false Alignment
    Remind Everyone that you are a long-time Linux user and advocate. Of
    course it is not true, so you will be accused of being what you really
    are. When that happens and you are accused of working against Linux.
    Deny! Deny! Deny!

    34. Use of false identities
    Create throw away identities to enter the newsgroup to spread discord
    and after a few days or weeks, stop using that identity. If you are
    losing an argument create a new identity to support the position of
    your main identity. If things are getting slow, create a few
    identities counter to your primary identity. Start a n-on-1 argument
    with your primary identity being outnumbered. Then have each of your
    new identities be convinced by your primary identity to the error of
    their ways.

    35. When thing get too hot go away
    When all else fails and things get too hot, disappear from the group.
    This is not as drastic as it sounds. You might stay away for a few
    months and then return hoping that the other wintrolls have softened
    up the field a bit. If you don't want to stay away at all. Create a
    new primary identity and drop the use of the other one.

    36. Enter COLA as a sleeper.
    If you are a new anti-Linux propagandist, or at least your current
    false identity is new, then make your entrance as a dedicated Linux
    user. After a little while, claim to have seen the light and "convert
    back to Windows". Then you can promote Windows all you want for a
    while, before your true nature is commonly known. Sometimes this works
    for several hours before you are shouted down and have to move on to a
    new identity or continue on as "normal" anti-Linux propagandist.

    37. Enter COLA as a false disgruntled Linux user.
    Create a throw away false identity to enter the newsgroup in order
    claim to be short or long term Linux users who "have had enough of
    Linux and are returning to Windows." Stir things up for a day or two
    and disappear forever.

    38. Never leave a Linux positive thread unchallenged.
    If there is a thread developing that is positive for Linux, hijack
    that thread at all cost. Even if it means sacrificing your current
    identity. One method to do this is to ramble on about other topics,
    with or without the use embedded insults. Even if you fail to hijack
    the thread, you may be able to derail it enough to cancel the
    positive-for Linux-impact that it could have had.

    39. Lie about what you know
    Claim credit for experience, knowledge, or education that you do not
    have. It will impress readers who are not knowledgeable on the topic
    of the moment. Be careful to not engage someone who is truly
    knowledgeable on the subject in conversation or your actual ignorance
    will be exposed.

    40. Avoid providing any help.
    Because you claim to be such an expert so often, you may from time to
    time be asked for assistance. Don't provide it, you would only
    destroy the image you have lied so long to create. Treat an honest
    request based on a real situation as an argument: Restate the request
    for assistance in a real situation as a hypothetical situation that
    you can argue against.

    41. Use of Undefined Terminology
    Use terms such as "indoctrinated" as a substitute for "educated" or
    "experienced" when referring to a Linux Advocate. Use "pedantic" in
    place of "correct", "precise", or "accurate" when referring to a Linux
    Advocate. Create and use personal definitions such as "commercial
    quality" for impressive sounding terms to mislead the unwary. But
    never share your definitions for your inappropriate terminology. This
    is commonly known as Troll-speak.

    42. Use fake email addresses.
    Use a fake email address, not just a de-spammed address like real
    advocates use, but a completely fake and made-up one. If you feel the
    need for the appearance of normality use a real appearing email
    address-maybe not one of yours, but you can try to explain your act of
    identity theft as an accident.

    43. Citing vapor postings
    Cite the statements that you had "intended" to include but never
    actual written into your past posting. Gamble on the possibility that
    nobody will remember what you posted and that nobody will do the
    research to determine what you have posted. If you loose that bet, use
    another disinformation tactic to deflect the results of your using
    this tactic.

    44. Use being an idiot as an excuse
    When you are criticized for using disinformation tactics, claim
    ignorance of the disinformation tactics and use your apparent idiocy
    as an excuse for your actions. Do the same for your comrades, when a
    Linux Advocate corners one of your fellow anti-Linux propagandists
    tell that advocate something like "What are you doing? It's only John
    Doe for goodness sake!"

    45. Criticize Linux Advocates but ignore anti-Linux propagandist
    transgressions
    Always criticize the behavior of Linux Advocates, but, ignore the same
    and even worse transgressions are being committed by your fellow
    Trespassers.

    46. Accept the claims of other anti-Linux propagandists as face value
    Always treat other anti-Linux propagandist's statements as being true.
    Accept their interpretations without question, don't bother verifying
    their statements. If they claim something against a Linux advocate
    always side with the anti-Linux propagandists.

    47. Don't do your own homework
    Make your opponent do your research for you. Depending on who much
    credibility you still have will determine how successful you will be
    at this tactic.

    48. Don't let your ignorance stop you from posting
    No matter how little you understand of the issues being discussed in a
    thread, post anyway. If you don't know what you are talking about just
    pretend that you do.

    49. Restate the issues to support your preconceptions
    If the issues being discussed in a thread are not exploitable by you
    for your purpose, restate the issues to support your ability to attack
    Linux Advocate opponent.

    50. Claim god like attributes
    Claim god like attributes, such as being all knowing. If you don't
    want to make that claim, behave as though you are, any way.

    51. Claim only you understand what the issues are.
    Claim and other wise present the attitude to imply that only you know
    what the issues really are. Attempt to project the attitude that would
    tend to discredit your opponent at the same time.

    52. Invoke the mythical average user
    Always use the mythical average users as your yardstick for usability.
    No matter what is being discussed about Linux, restate the abilities
    of the average users to fall short of that needed.

    53. Use extortion to build an army
    Use extortion against a group to generate an army of flunkies to do
    your bidding and do you fighting for you. Such as when things are not
    going the way you want in COLA, crosspost a threat in another
    newsgroup a thread of your intention of making thing miserable for
    them if they don't take up your battle for you. This is a dangerous
    tactic for you the anti-Linux propagandists. If they don't react the
    way you wanted them to, you will either have to forget it or you could
    carry our your threat. If you forget it, you will loose even more
    credibility. If you carry out your threat you will still loose
    credibility and you could open yourself up for reprisal from those
    your are hurting by carrying out your threat. Even if you do form your
    army, you will be held responsible for the results of their actions on
    your behalf. A recent case (as of this writing) of this tactic being
    used by a anti-Linux propagandists can be revived by reading the
    thread that resulted with the crossposting of Message-ID:
    ozub8.40974$Wf1.7452626@ruti.visi.com to comp.os.linux.advocacy and
    comp.os.linux.misc.

    54. The devil made me do it
    When you are caught in a situation for which you can not explain you
    actions without a confession of your dishonesty and your alignment,
    blame it on someone else. Create a boogyman to take the blame. A
    variation of this tactic was used in the thread cited above, in which
    the failed extortionist blames all the Linux Advocates in COLA for
    forcing him into attempting extortion.

  5. Re: C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer 11

    "High Plains Thumper" schreef in bericht
    > chrisv wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Liar.

    >> *PLONK*

    > Is that a promise, eh, anonymous coward nym-thief? Good!

    lol
    Hi Rafael, you anonymous coward nym-shifter! you dumbest linux advocate on
    the planet!

    The "High Plains Thumper" liar
    A worthless nym-shifting moron who has also posted under all sorts of "nyms"
    such as Rafael for example. When accused of 'nym-shifting' he first denied
    it then did a pathetic attempt to ignore the accusation. When confronted
    with overwhelming evidence he then claimed that his pathetic nym-shifting
    was some sort of "social experiment" - is this guy a total loser or what?
    He is often taken to task for making ridiculous statements that are grossly
    wrong. When confronted with facts that prove him to be an idiot he resorts
    to childish posting where he replies with some made up FAQ as if it proves
    something. All it proves is that "High Plains Rafael" is simply one of the
    dumbest linux advocates on the planet.
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/2007...mper-liar.html

  6. Re: C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer 11

    Clogwog wrote:
    > "High Plains Thumper" schreef...
    >> chrisv wrote:
    >>> "High Plains Thumper" wrote...

    >>> *PLONK*

    >> Is that a promise, eh, anonymous coward nym-thief? Good!

    > lol Hi Rafael, you anonymous coward nym-shifter! you dumbest linux
    > advocate on the planet!

    Clogwog:

    From: "Manus Simpelcont"

    From: "chrisv"

    From: "Clogwog"

    From: "chrisv"

    Hmmmm, you speak with forked tongue, I could smell the ground you tread on.
    Thank you, for owning up to the anonymous post.

    --
    HPT

  7. Re: C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer 11

    High Plains Thumper schreef:
    > Clogwog wrote:

    >>> Is that a promise, eh, anonymous coward nym-thief? Good!

    >> lol Hi Rafael, you anonymous coward nym-shifter! you dumbest linux
    >> advocate on the planet!

    > Clogwog:
    >
    > From: "Manus Simpelcont"
    >
    > From: "chrisv"
    >
    > From: "Clogwog"
    >
    > From: "chrisv"
    >
    > Hmmmm, you speak with forked tongue, I could smell the ground you tread
    > on. Thank you, for owning up to the anonymous post.

    And here is the latest nym:

    From: "KUTLOZE SCHEEFGEPOEPTE"
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

    <4705147d$0$26507$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>
    Subject: Re: Microsoft CEO: Business User Uptake Of Vista "Very Strong"
    Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 20:57:09 +0200

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  8. Re: C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer 11

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Anonymous belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >> 1.1 Q: I heard linux was easy to install, is it?
    >> A: That depends on what distro you try. Most of them will have
    >> trouble detecting all your hardware. Most new hardware devices
    >> are not supported. If your lucky you might be able to find
    >> something that someone threw together on the net. But that's
    >> after spending a couple hours searching and probably won't take
    >> advantage of your hardware to it's fullest capability.

    For anyone new to this newsgroup, this FAQ is a concoction and
    fabrication.

    Ignore it.

    Linux is not perfect. Neither is Windows. A lot of B.S. is thrown in
    both directions.

    Try it for yourself. You may feel you need a holding hand. That's
    fine. Just give it a try and see if it is a fit for you.

    It's not just about functionality, it's about your control over your
    machine.

  9. Re: C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer 11

    ml2mst wrote:

    > And here is the latest nym:
    >
    > From: "KUTLOZE SCHEEFGEPOEPTE"
    > Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

    Interesting - thanks for point it out.

    --
    HPT

  10. Re: C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer 11

    "ml2mst" schreef in bericht
    > High Plains Thumper schreef:
    >> Clogwog wrote:
    >>> "High Plains Thumper" schreef...

    >>> lol Hi Rafael, you anonymous coward nym-shifter! you dumbest linux
    >>> advocate on the planet!

    >> Clogwog:
    >>
    >> From: "Manus Simpelcont"
    >>
    >> From: "chrisv"
    >>
    >> From: "Clogwog"
    >>
    >> From: "chrisv"
    >>
    >> Hmmmm, you speak with forked tongue, I could smell the ground you tread
    >> on. Thank you, for owning up to the anonymous post.
    >>

    > And here is the latest nym:
    >
    > From: "KUTLOZE SCHEEFGEPOEPTE"
    > Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >
    > <4705147d$0$26507$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>
    > Subject: Re: Microsoft CEO: Business User Uptake Of Vista "Very Strong"
    > Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 20:57:09 +0200
    >
    > --
    > |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Marti is a flaming homosexual who brags how his gay lover used to F*#% his
    brains out.
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...8024a298dee592
    ml2mst attempts to make well reasoned sounding posts, but his obsessions get
    in the way. He sees trolls and homophobics behind every reply that disagrees
    with him. However this is a typical wellknown COLA lintards tactic.
    Dr. Franz-Jozef Hueker was viciously attacked by ml2mst in alt.os.ubuntu.
    The combination of Dr. and bad German, was enough to bring him to the
    conclusion that it was "yet another troll". ml2mst is on the "Barnacle list,
    with persons who haunt usenet by calling almost anyone who disagrees with
    them, or offers dissenting opinions a "troll". In his deluded mind "net
    kooks" and trolls are "pursuing" him around Usenet.
    He is easily driven to pathetic, useless attempts to NetKKKop people. He
    exposes his homosexuality widely across usenet. He brags about his dead
    friend Gerard "****ing his brains out", "Which you silly sissies can't
    accomplish". He is a COLA regular wannabe, his attempts to make friends with
    Roy Schestowitz, Mark Kent and other COLA liars are pathetic.
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/2007...lin-idiot.html

  11. Re: C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer 11

    > ml2mst wrote:
    >
    >> And here is the latest nym:
    >>
    >> From: "KUTLOZE SCHEEFGEPOEPTE"
    >> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

    > Interesting - thanks for point it out.
    >
    > --
    > HPT AKA "social experiment" ==> Rafael

    ^^^^^^
    A worthless nym-shifting moron who has also posted under all sorts of "nyms"
    such as Rafael for example. When accused of 'nym-shifting' he first denied
    it then did a pathetic attempt to ignore the accusation. When confronted
    with overwhelming evidence he then claimed that his pathetic nym-shifting
    was some sort of "social experiment" - is this guy a total loser or what?
    He is often taken to task for making ridiculous statements that are grossly
    wrong. When confronted with facts that prove him to be an idiot he resorts
    to childish posting where he replies with some made up FAQ as if it proves
    something. All it proves is that "High Plains Rafael" is simply one of the
    dumbest linux advocates on the planet.
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/2007...mper-liar.html

  12. Re: C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer 11

    After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > ml2mst wrote:
    >
    >> And here is the latest nym:
    >>
    >> From: "KUTLOZE SCHEEFGEPOEPTE"
    >> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

    > Interesting - thanks for point it out.

    It's actually a retread nym; the drain-clog just upper-cased the whole
    thing.

    --
    Tux rox!

  13. Re: C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer 11

    Hentje den Klotsoksel wrote:
    > "High Plains Thumper" schreef...
    >> ml2mst wrote:
    >>
    >>> And here is the latest nym:
    >>>
    >>> From: "KUTLOZE SCHEEFGEPOEPTE"
    >>> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

    >> Interesting - thanks for point it out.
    >>
    >> HPT "social experiment"

    with Clogwog,

    > A worthless nym-shifting moron who has also posted under all sorts of
    > "nyms" such as

    "KUTLOZE SCHEEFGEPOEPTE" ,
    "Manus Simpelcont" ,
    "chrisv" (nym-thief),
    "Clogwog" ,
    "Hentje den Klotsoksel"

    > for example. When accused of 'nym-shifting' he first denied it then did
    > a pathetic attempt to ignore the accusation. When confronted with
    > overwhelming evidence he then claimed that his pathetic nym-shifting was
    > some sort of total loser or what? He is often taken to task for making
    > ridiculous statements that are grossly wrong. When confronted with facts
    > that prove him to be an idiot he resorts to childish posting where he
    > replies with some made up FAQ

    from the Linux Reality Team as if it proves

    > something. All it proves is that

    Clogwog

    > is simply one of the dumbest

    trolls

    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...wog-troll.html

    --
    HPT

  14. Re: C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer 11

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >ml2mst wrote:
    >
    >> And here is the latest nym:
    >>
    >> From: "KUTLOZE SCHEEFGEPOEPTE"
    >> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

    >Interesting - thanks for point it out.

    I just hit the "delete" key on such silly nyms. It's not even worth
    the effort to plonk some of these "one-time-use" nyms.

+ Reply to Thread