    RL

    Microsoft says switch to Vista 'very strong'
    Dow Jones Newswires
    8:38 AM CDT, October 4, 2007

    DJ Microsoft CEO: Business User Uptake Of Vista "Very Strong" *table*

    ZURICH (Dow Jones)--Uptake of Microsoft Corp.'s (MSFT) new operating
    system Vista by the business community has been "very strong," Chief
    Executive Steve Ballmer said Thursday.

    "There have been compatibility issues, especially due to inbuilt
    security features in Vista clashing with people's applications,"
    Ballmer said. "More so than we - and our clients - anticipated."

    "But businesses are shifting to Vista at around the same pace as was
    the case with XP."

    Ballmer added that consumer uptake has been "instantaneous," in the
    sense that new computers sold today are equipped with Vista as the
    standard.

    Ballmer was speaking to an industry group in Zurich.

    Company Web Site: http://www.microsoft.com

  2. Re: Microsoft CEO: Business User Uptake Of Vista "Very Strong"

    "raylopez99" wrote in message
    news:1191509275.479395.142540@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
    > Ballmer has credibility IMO.
    >
    > RL
    >
    > Microsoft says switch to Vista 'very strong'
    > Dow Jones Newswires
    > 8:38 AM CDT, October 4, 2007
    >

    > DJ Microsoft CEO: Business User Uptake Of Vista "Very Strong" *table*
    >
    > ZURICH (Dow Jones)--Uptake of Microsoft Corp.'s (MSFT) new operating
    > system Vista by the business community has been "very strong," Chief
    > Executive Steve Ballmer said Thursday.
    >
    > "There have been compatibility issues, especially due to inbuilt
    > security features in Vista clashing with people's applications,"
    > Ballmer said. "More so than we - and our clients - anticipated."
    >
    > "But businesses are shifting to Vista at around the same pace as was
    > the case with XP."
    >
    > Ballmer added that consumer uptake has been "instantaneous," in the
    > sense that new computers sold today are equipped with Vista as the
    > standard.
    >
    > Ballmer was speaking to an industry group in Zurich.
    >
    > Company Web Site: http://www.microsoft.com

    This is very true. I work for a Fortune 100 company in the Chicago area and
    we have begun to roll-out Vista to the thousands of desktops with phenominal
    success.

  3. Re: Microsoft CEO: Business User Uptake Of Vista "Very Strong"

    Barb Dwyer wrote:

    > "raylopez99" wrote in message
    > news:1191509275.479395.142540@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
    >> Ballmer has credibility IMO.
    >>
    >> RL
    >>
    >> Microsoft says switch to Vista 'very strong'
    >> Dow Jones Newswires
    >> 8:38 AM CDT, October 4, 2007
    >>

    >> DJ Microsoft CEO: Business User Uptake Of Vista "Very Strong" *table*
    >>
    >> ZURICH (Dow Jones)--Uptake of Microsoft Corp.'s (MSFT) new operating
    >> system Vista by the business community has been "very strong," Chief
    >> Executive Steve Ballmer said Thursday.
    >>
    >> "There have been compatibility issues, especially due to inbuilt
    >> security features in Vista clashing with people's applications,"
    >> Ballmer said. "More so than we - and our clients - anticipated."
    >>
    >> "But businesses are shifting to Vista at around the same pace as was
    >> the case with XP."
    >>
    >> Ballmer added that consumer uptake has been "instantaneous," in the
    >> sense that new computers sold today are equipped with Vista as the
    >> standard.
    >>
    >> Ballmer was speaking to an industry group in Zurich.
    >>
    >> Company Web Site: http://www.microsoft.com

    > This is very true. I work for a Fortune 100 company in the Chicago area
    > and we have begun to roll-out Vista to the thousands of desktops with
    > phenominal success.

    Certainly. And earth is flat, too

    --
    Microsoft software doesn't get released - it escapes, leaving
    a trail of destruction behind it.

  4. Re: Microsoft CEO: Business User Uptake Of Vista "Very Strong"

    On 2007-10-04, Barb Dwyer wrote:

    > "raylopez99" wrote in message
    > news:1191509275.479395.142540@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
    >
    > This is very true. I work for a Fortune 100 company in the Chicago area and
    > we have begun to roll-out Vista to the thousands of desktops with phenominal
    > success.

    That hasn't been my experience. I quote and resell servers and
    workstations and Vista has been specifically rejected by (so far) all
    customers, without exception.

    --

    (o< |)
    //\ ..may the beacon /\obt.

  5. Re: Microsoft CEO: Business User Uptake Of Vista "Very Strong"

    "Robt. Miller" wrote in message
    news:slrnfga7fs.7le.robtmil.killspam@robtmil.com.. .
    > On 2007-10-04, Barb Dwyer wrote:
    >>
    >> "raylopez99" wrote in message
    >> news:1191509275.479395.142540@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
    >>
    >> This is very true. I work for a Fortune 100 company in the Chicago area
    >> and
    >> we have begun to roll-out Vista to the thousands of desktops with
    >> phenominal
    >> success.

    > That hasn't been my experience. I quote and resell servers and
    > workstations and Vista has been specifically rejected by (so far) all
    > customers, without exception.

    So "all customers, without exception" specifically reject Vista. So
    according to you not a single customer of yours has taken Vista. Yet we see
    a steady rise and increase to where Vista has abotu 8% of the global PC
    marketshare.

    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/repo...=Windows+Vista

    Since you've never had a single customer take Vista we can safely assume
    that business must be quite bad for you.

  6. Re: Microsoft CEO: Business User Uptake Of Vista "Very Strong"

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 07:47:55 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > Ballmer added that consumer uptake has been "instantaneous," in the
    > sense that new computers sold today are equipped with Vista as the
    > standard.

    New computers sold today are only pre-installed with Vista because of cosy
    agreements between OEMs and Microsoft, which deny consumer choice.

    Microsoft, however, is not interested in consumer choice, or in the end
    users of their OS. Which is why their marketing is targetted at those who
    have the power to determine what end users will have to use, viz.
    corporate buyers (who determine what workers will use) and OEMs (who
    determine what retailers will sell.

    It is not that case that end users all over the world are crying out for
    Vista. From what anecdotal evidence can be gathered from a perusal of end
    user reports, the end user experience of Vista is poor.

    Which is why, given a free choice of OS, end users who feel they must use
    Windows prefer to stay with XP.

    However, the crunch is coming. Microsoft know that, despite the recent
    time extension to the life of XP, the demand for it is going to fall off
    soon. Leaving Microsoft with no credible product to offer.

  7. Re: Microsoft CEO: Business User Uptake Of Vista "Very Strong"

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Barb Dwyer

    wrote
    on Thu, 4 Oct 2007 13:18:41 -0400
    <4705147d$0$26507$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:

    > "Robt. Miller" wrote in message
    > news:slrnfga7fs.7le.robtmil.killspam@robtmil.com.. .
    >> On 2007-10-04, Barb Dwyer wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "raylopez99" wrote in message
    >>> news:1191509275.479395.142540@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
    >>>
    >>> This is very true. I work for a Fortune 100 company in the
    >>> Chicago area and we have begun to roll-out Vista to the
    >>> thousands of desktops with phenominal success.

    ObNitPick: "area, and", "roll out", "phenomenal".

    >> That hasn't been my experience. I quote and resell servers and
    >> workstations and Vista has been specifically rejected by (so far) all
    >> customers, without exception.

    > So "all customers, without exception" specifically reject Vista.

    Only in the extremely limited subset of Robt. Miller's
    customer base. For all I know Mr. Miller sells only
    Blades -- a specific type of server-based computer which
    is primarily used in rackmounted equipment -- with a
    SPARC CPU. This is admittedly unlikely, but possible.

    > So according to you not a single customer of yours has
    > taken Vista. Yet we see a steady rise and increase to
    > where Vista has abotu 8% of the global PC marketshare.

    Vista will be on most computers in about 4.5 years, if one
    assumes the graph continues to be linear and rising at that
    rate (a consistent assumption, since most businesses are
    going to turnover equipment at a certain rate). If one
    uses an exponential projection instead, the 95% adoption
    rate would be approximately 13 years, but that's not quite
    right anyway.

    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/repo...=Windows+Vista
    >
    > Since you've never had a single customer take Vista we can safely assume
    > that business must be quite bad for you.

    And will get worse. After all, *everyone* wants Microsoft
    Windows Vista.

    (In my case, if only to see how bad it truly is.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #992398129:
    void f(unsigned u) { if(u < 0) ... }

  8. Re: Microsoft CEO: Business User Uptake Of Vista "Very Strong"

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Barb Dwyer belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >> That hasn't been my experience. I quote and resell servers and
    >> workstations and Vista has been specifically rejected by (so far) all
    >> customers, without exception.

    > So "all customers, without exception" specifically reject Vista. So
    > according to you not a single customer of yours has taken Vista. Yet we see
    > a steady rise and increase to where Vista has abotu 8% of the global PC
    > marketshare.
    >
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/repo...=Windows+Vista
    >
    > Since you've never had a single customer take Vista we can safely assume
    > that business must be quite bad for you.

    That line also describes the slope of your forehead.

    Or the anxiety of Microsoft, who had hoped for a much stronger uptake.

    Where's the step function caused by their "40 million copies sold"?o

    Fairly strong proof that their claim is spurious.

    Thanks again, "Barb".

  9. Re: Microsoft CEO: Business User Uptake Of Vista "Very Strong"

    Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Barb Dwyer wrote on Thu,
    > 4 Oct 2007 13:18:41 -0400
    > <4705147d$0$26507$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:
    >> "Robt. Miller" wrote in message
    >> news:slrnfga7fs.7le.robtmil.killspam@robtmil.com.. .

    > ObNitPick: "area, and", "roll out", "phenomenal".

    ObNitPick#2: How does one "roll out an OS" with "phenomenal success"?
    Either it is "rolled out" or not. Unless he means that nearly all of the
    machines he installed Vista on still managed to boot afterwards (which
    begs the question, what about the rest of them? Presumably those
    machines lacked the prerequisite 200GB of memory, 300TB HDD, quad nVidia
    SLI graphics just for VESA mode, and an HDMI capable monitor plugged
    directly into the cerebral cortex of an MPAA representative).

    But naturally I'm just being pedantic. It was of course the "thousands
    of desktops" that made the experience phenominal(sic). Thousands. No
    really.

    >>> That hasn't been my experience. I quote and resell servers and
    >>> workstations and Vista has been specifically rejected by (so far)
    >>> all customers, without exception.

    >> So "all customers, without exception" specifically reject Vista.

    Yes.

    Everyone in the world hates Vista. Even your mother hates Vista.
    Even Sweaty hates Vista.

    Get over it.

    > Vista will be on most computers in about 4.5 years

    The sooner the better. If you think the squeals of pain are loud now,
    just think how it will be once /every/ Windows user is forced to use
    Vista.

    Ouch!

    We'll have enough fuel to keep COLA running at full steam for a century.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    01:01:03 up 56 days, 23:55, 2 users, load average: 0.17, 0.07, 0.02

  10. Re: Microsoft CEO: Business User Uptake Of Vista "Very Strong"

    On 2007-10-04, Barb Dwyer wrote:

    > "Robt. Miller" wrote in message
    > news:slrnfga7fs.7le.robtmil.killspam@robtmil.com.. .
    >> On 2007-10-04, Barb Dwyer wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "raylopez99" wrote in message
    >>> news:1191509275.479395.142540@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
    >>>
    >>> This is very true. I work for a Fortune 100 company in the Chicago area
    >>> and
    >>> we have begun to roll-out Vista to the thousands of desktops with
    >>> phenominal
    >>> success.

    >> That hasn't been my experience. I quote and resell servers and
    >> workstations and Vista has been specifically rejected by (so far) all
    >> customers, without exception.

    > So "all customers, without exception" specifically reject Vista. So
    > according to you not a single customer of yours has taken Vista. Yet we see
    > a steady rise and increase to where Vista has abotu 8% of the global PC
    > marketshare.
    >
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/repo...=Windows+Vista
    >
    > Since you've never had a single customer take Vista we can safely assume
    > that business must be quite bad for you.

    Without exception. I suspect your graph represents channel stuffing. I
    have no doubt they'll eventually move it all and fudge the number so it
    doesn't look so bad but NOBODY, at this time, in our small-medium
    business space will touch it. Business, despite that, is booming.

    --

    (o< |)
    //\ ..may the beacon /\obt.

+ Reply to Thread