[New] COLA in Linux Magazine - Linux

This is a discussion on [New] COLA in Linux Magazine - Linux ; Grokking the Goatberg ,----[ Quote ] | So, should we be crying foul? Should we be accusing The Goatberg of | FUDMeistery? Write a few thousand lines of foaming at the mouth invective on | comp.os.linux.advocacy and hang Mossberg in ...

  1. [New] COLA in Linux Magazine

    Grokking the Goatberg

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So, should we be crying foul? Should we be accusing The Goatberg of
    | FUDMeistery? Write a few thousand lines of foaming at the mouth invective on
    | comp.os.linux.advocacy and hang Mossberg in effigy?
    `----

    http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4138

    We didn't insult him here, did we??? I certainly haven't.

  2. Re: COLA in Linux Magazine

    On Oct 4, 1:07 am, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Grokking the Goatberg
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | So, should we be crying foul? Should we be accusing The Goatberg of
    > | FUDMeistery? Write a few thousand lines of foaming at the mouth invective on
    > | comp.os.linux.advocacy and hang Mossberg in effigy?
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4138
    >
    > We didn't insult him here, did we??? I certainly haven't.

    It doesn't say anyone did. There is the word "should." That's really
    all you got from that article?

  3. Re: COLA in Linux Magazine

    On Oct 4, 1:07 am, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Grokking the Goatberg
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | So, should we be crying foul? Should we be accusing The Goatberg of
    > | FUDMeistery? Write a few thousand lines of foaming at the mouth invective on
    > | comp.os.linux.advocacy and hang Mossberg in effigy?
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4138
    >
    > We didn't insult him here, did we??? I certainly haven't.

    "Still, I think its important to listen to people like Walt Mossberg
    because sometimes its necessary for us geeky types to get in the shoes
    of the end user. When Walt has problems getting his digital camera
    recognized, or syncing up with his iPod, or playing Web-based video
    clips, you can be assured that your average end user probably will
    too. Can the community fix these problems? Absolutely. But unlike the
    rabid Team OS/2 guys of old, let's not take out our frustrations on
    the poor mainstream press when what we really should be doing is
    getting back to the drawing board and making things work."

    Complain about Microsoft and Digg every second of the day, or actually
    work on making it better? Hmmm what to do, what to do...

  4. Re: COLA in Linux Magazine

    ____/ cc on Thursday 04 October 2007 11:21 : \____

    > On Oct 4, 1:07 am, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Grokking the Goatberg
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | So, should we be crying foul? Should we be accusing The Goatberg of
    >> | FUDMeistery? Write a few thousand lines of foaming at the mouth invective
    >> | on comp.os.linux.advocacy and hang Mossberg in effigy?
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4138
    >>
    >> We didn't insult him here, did we??? I certainly haven't.

    > "Still, I think its important to listen to people like Walt Mossberg
    > because sometimes its necessary for us geeky types to get in the shoes
    > of the end user. When Walt has problems getting his digital camera
    > recognized, or syncing up with his iPod, or playing Web-based video
    > clips, you can be assured that your average end user probably will
    > too. Can the community fix these problems? Absolutely. But unlike the
    > rabid Team OS/2 guys of old, let's not take out our frustrations on
    > the poor mainstream press when what we really should be doing is
    > getting back to the drawing board and making things work."
    >
    > Complain about Microsoft and Digg every second of the day, or actually
    > work on making it better? Hmmm what to do, what to do...

    Fair point. I do a bit of both, but you only see one part of it.

    As for the article, I glanced at it quickly (usually looking at the first
    words/sentence in the paragraphs, then running some find-as-you-type searches
    and highlighting keywords.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Apprentice - fancy word for "slave"
    Tasks: 149 total, 1 running, 148 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  5. Re: [New] COLA in Linux Magazine

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Grokking the Goatberg
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | So, should we be crying foul? Should we be accusing The Goatberg of
    > | FUDMeistery? Write a few thousand lines of foaming at the mouth
    > | invective on comp.os.linux.advocacy and hang Mossberg in effigy?
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4138
    >
    > We didn't insult him here, did we??? I certainly haven't.

    There is perspective in everything. Step back and look at web site's ads.
    In the very right hand side is:

    'BULLETPROOF RELIABILITY CONNECTS 400,000 GAMERS WORLDWIDE. "Windows
    Server 2003 provided not only reliability... but also productivity in a
    64-bit environment, and cost efficiency. It was an easy choice to make,"
    says NCsoft Director, Kwak, Soon-wook. STORY CONTINUES >'

    Left hand side has another ad stating, "---- Microsoft ---- STATE OF
    ILLINOIS VOTES FOR WINDOWS SERVER OVER LINUX State Government Decided
    Linux Was Too Big a Risk SEE FOR YOURSELF >> Windows Server 2003"

    The site is not going to post something against one of their big advertisers.

    IMHO, Linux.com is really not a Linux site.

    --
    HPT

  6. Re: [New] COLA in Linux Magazine

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >> So, should we be crying foul? Should we be accusing The Goatberg of
    >> FUDMeistery? Write a few thousand lines of foaming at the mouth
    >> invective on comp.os.linux.advocacy and hang Mossberg in effigy?

    >> We didn't insult him here, did we??? I certainly haven't.

    FOAM, moi? .. lets try and help the man out ..

    "There is no control panel for adjusting the way the touch pad works,
    and I found it so sensitive that I was constantly launching programs and
    opening windows accidentally by touching the thing"

    "Every time the computer awoke from sleep, the volume control software
    crashed and had to be reloaded"

    "When I tried to play common audio and video files, such as MP3 songs, I
    was told I had to first download special files called codecs"

    "To get the computer to recognize my Kodak camera and Apple iPod, I had
    to reboot it several times. When it did find the iPod, it wasn’t able to
    synchronize with it"

    "Playing videos was a bad experience, with lots of flickering and freezing"

    "Oh, and there’s no built-in software for playing commercial DVDs"

    http://www.snipurl.com/site/index
    http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20070913...-for-everyone/

    --

    FOAM .. FOAM .. FOAM .. FOAM .. FOAM .. FOAM .. FOAM .. FOAM .. FOAM ...

  7. Re: [New] COLA in Linux Magazine

    > Grokking the Goatberg

    [...]
    > We didn't insult him here, did we??? I certainly haven't.

    Mossberg is such "essential" reading, and such a "powerful" influence on
    the IT industry, that I didn't even have any idea that he'd written a
    piece on Ubuntu. Frankly, the only time I ever even /hear/ about him, is
    when Jobs recites his praises at the Keynotes, like he was reading from
    the bible. I've always assumed that Mossberg was just some Apple groupie.

    WRT the Linux Mag article itself, once again here we have the same old
    tired stereotype of GNU/Linux being too "technical" and for "geeks
    only", whilst conveniently ignoring the fact that maintaining a Windows
    system is at /least/ as difficult, if not more so. Need I elaborate ...
    again? Why do people persist in this hyperbole.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    14:58:34 up 56 days, 13:53, 2 users, load average: 0.30, 0.25, 0.17

  8. Re: [New] COLA in Linux Magazine

    ____/ [H]omer on Thursday 04 October 2007 14:59 : \____

    >> Grokking the Goatberg

    > [...]
    >> We didn't insult him here, did we??? I certainly haven't.

    > Mossberg is such "essential" reading, and such a "powerful" influence on
    > the IT industry, that I didn't even have any idea that he'd written a
    > piece on Ubuntu. Frankly, the only time I ever even /hear/ about him, is
    > when Jobs recites his praises at the Keynotes, like he was reading from
    > the bible. I've always assumed that Mossberg was just some Apple groupie.
    >
    > WRT the Linux Mag article itself, once again here we have the same old
    > tired stereotype of GNU/Linux being too "technical" and for "geeks
    > only", whilst conveniently ignoring the fact that maintaining a Windows
    > system is at /least/ as difficult, if not more so. Need I elaborate ...
    > again? Why do people persist in this hyperbole.

    What was said at the time is that 'Computer God' (Mossberg) tends to slam
    everything other than Apple and what brought criticism was the fact that he
    criticised Ubuntu for not handling an iPo^H^H^H^Hd the way he expected or
    wanted.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Open minds, open source
    20:00:03 up 24 days, 18:06, 5 users, load average: 2.39, 2.27, 1.97

  9. Re: [New] COLA in Linux Magazine

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ [H]omer on Thursday 04 October 2007 14:59 : \____

    >>> Grokking the Goatberg

    >> [...]
    >>> We didn't insult him here, did we??? I certainly haven't.

    >> Mossberg is such "essential" reading, and such a "powerful" influence on
    >> the IT industry, that I didn't even have any idea that he'd written a
    >> piece on Ubuntu. Frankly, the only time I ever even /hear/ about him, is
    >> when Jobs recites his praises at the Keynotes, like he was reading from
    >> the bible. I've always assumed that Mossberg was just some Apple groupie.
    >>
    >> WRT the Linux Mag article itself, once again here we have the same old
    >> tired stereotype of GNU/Linux being too "technical" and for "geeks
    >> only", whilst conveniently ignoring the fact that maintaining a Windows
    >> system is at /least/ as difficult, if not more so. Need I elaborate ...
    >> again? Why do people persist in this hyperbole.

    > What was said at the time is that 'Computer God' (Mossberg) tends to slam
    > everything other than Apple and what brought criticism was the fact that he
    > criticised Ubuntu for not handling an iPo^H^H^H^Hd the way he expected or
    > wanted.

    Interesting that he had a poke at Cola, though. Clearly, we're rather
    more widely read than some folk imagine.

  10. Re: [New] COLA in Linux Magazine

    > Grokking the Goatberg
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | So, should we be crying foul? Should we be accusing The Goatberg of
    > | FUDMeistery? Write a few thousand lines of foaming at the mouth invective on
    > | comp.os.linux.advocacy and hang Mossberg in effigy?
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4138
    >
    > We didn't insult him here, did we??? I certainly haven't.

    There was an interesting article about Mossberg in the New Yorker
    recently. Wonder if it is online.

    Ah, yes:

    http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...a_fact_auletta

    Mossberg is not an especially daunting presence. He is sixty years
    old, bald and pudgy, and was wearing a purple open-necked shirt with
    the sleeves rolled up.

    . . .

    A bookcase held computers from the dawn of the consumer-computing
    age: a Timex Sinclair 1000, an Atari 800, a Radio Shack TRS 80 Model
    100, a Commodore 64, an Apple IIe, and the first Palm Pilot, among
    others.

    --
    Tux rox!

  11. Re: [New] COLA in Linux Magazine

    In article ,
    Mark Kent wrote:
    > > What was said at the time is that 'Computer God' (Mossberg) tends to slam
    > > everything other than Apple and what brought criticism was the fact that he
    > > criticised Ubuntu for not handling an iPo^H^H^H^Hd the way he expected or
    > > wanted.
    > >

    > Interesting that he had a poke at Cola, though. Clearly, we're rather
    > more widely read than some folk imagine.

    Mossberg didn't have a poke at COLA. He didn't even mention COLA. It was
    the article *about* Mossberg that mentioned COLA. What it said was:

    So, should we be crying foul? Should we be accusing The Goatberg of
    FUDMeistery? Write a few thousand lines of foaming at the mouth
    invective on comp.os.linux.advocacy and hang Mossberg in effigy?

    No, because the Goatberg speaks the truth. What he says about lots
    of complications and hassles and workarounds gets to the real heart
    of the problem with desktop Linux adoption. As early adopters and
    power users, we are willing to deal with these problems in order to
    benefit from Linux's greater reliability and performance. But the
    reality is the majority of end users would have extreme difficulty
    in migrating to a current Linux desktop without lots of extra help
    from a skilled IT professional, and even then he still might not be
    able to completely adapt.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  12. Re: [New] COLA in Linux Magazine

    On 2007-10-11, Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >> > What was said at the time is that 'Computer God' (Mossberg) tends to slam
    >> > everything other than Apple and what brought criticism was the fact that he
    >> > criticised Ubuntu for not handling an iPo^H^H^H^Hd the way he expected or
    >> > wanted.
    >> >

    >> Interesting that he had a poke at Cola, though. Clearly, we're rather
    >> more widely read than some folk imagine.

    > Mossberg didn't have a poke at COLA. He didn't even mention COLA. It was
    > the article *about* Mossberg that mentioned COLA. What it said was:
    >
    > So, should we be crying foul? Should we be accusing The Goatberg of
    > FUDMeistery? Write a few thousand lines of foaming at the mouth
    > invective on comp.os.linux.advocacy and hang Mossberg in effigy?

    I dunno.

    I find the fact that I can't pull content out of an iPod with iTunes
    a far bigger problem than the fact that it might be difficult to setup something
    on Linux to do the same thing.

    Impossible vs. Difficult.

    > No, because the Goatberg speaks the truth. What he says about lots
    > of complications and hassles and workarounds gets to the real heart
    > of the problem with desktop Linux adoption. As early adopters and

    The man has blinders on. He's drunk on the Cuppertino cool-aid.

    > power users, we are willing to deal with these problems in order to
    > benefit from Linux's greater reliability and performance. But the
    > reality is the majority of end users would have extreme difficulty
    > in migrating to a current Linux desktop without lots of extra help
    > from a skilled IT professional, and even then he still might not be
    > able to completely adapt.

    The majority of end users have a problem dealing with ANY desktop,
    including the one that shipped with the computer they're currently running.
    This is a longterm effect of treating Windows users like total, blithering
    idiots and telling them a PC (or even a Mac) can be a toaster.

    After years of beind discouraged from exploring their own Windows
    based PC's I am not sure the average novice could handle even a Mac.

    Web browsing is no longer an abstract thing.
    Extracting or compressing audio is no longer an abstract thing.
    Creating documents is no longer an abstract thing.

    The entire potential benefit of GUI's in general is gone.

    --
    Sure, I could use iTunes even under Linux. However, I have |||
    better things to do with my time than deal with how iTunes doesn't / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

+ Reply to Thread