[News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents) - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents) - Linux ; Why My Mom Can Use Ubuntu (read: Why linux is Better than Windows) ,----[ Quote ] | Yes, that’s right; my mom is an Ubuntu user. She has been for about a year | now (since Edgy). This is the ...

  1. [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents)

    Why My Mom Can Use Ubuntu (read: Why linux is Better than Windows)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Yes, that’s right; my mom is an Ubuntu user. She has been for about a year
    | now (since Edgy). This is the story of how it all got started.
    `----

    http://troubledramblings.com/2007/10...an-use-ubuntu/

    Why I Chose Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Finally Done With Windows Completely. It was shortly before Vista's release
    | that I had found myself falling in love with Ubuntu, because it offered me
    | the best of the beginner and advanced worlds in one single distribution.
    `----

    http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=8032

    Related:

    Linux Users Base More Than doubled Over Last One Year: Survey

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The number of Linux users has more than doubled over the last one year, says
    | a new survey by DesktopLinux.com. The survey also said Ubuntu remains their
    | Linux distribution of choice. *
    `----

    http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/p...19940,p,0.html

    Survey: Desktop Linux use grows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | DesktopLinux.com, which is a Web site devoted to, obviously, desktop Linux,
    | has finished a survey that found more than a doubling of Linux desktop users
    | in the past year. *
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatc...es/013576.html

  2. Re: [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents)

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Why My Mom Can Use Ubuntu (read: Why linux is Better than Windows)
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Yes, that’s right; my mom is an Ubuntu user. She has been for about a
    > | year now (since Edgy). This is the story of how it all got started.
    > `----

    Obviously Grandmothers and Grandfathers (me for example) can use linux and
    mothers and non-mothers, and kids as well; the real question is whether
    males from 20-40 can do it :-). Please spare us the ageist and sexist
    postings, they're so boring.
    Att

  3. Re: [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents)

    ____/ Attila on Thursday 04 October 2007 10:58 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Why My Mom Can Use Ubuntu (read: Why linux is Better than Windows)
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Yes, that’s right; my mom is an Ubuntu user. She has been for about a
    >> | year now (since Edgy). This is the story of how it all got started.
    >> `----
    >>

    > Obviously Grandmothers and Grandfathers (me for example) can use linux and
    > mothers and non-mothers, and kids as well; the real question is whether
    > males from 20-40 can do it :-). Please spare us the ageist and sexist
    > postings, they're so boring.
    > Att

    I try to avoid the gender/age thing and I referred to this as "parents"
    (subject line says "patents", but it's a classic QWERTY typo).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Apprentice - fancy word for "slave"
    Tasks: 149 total, 1 running, 148 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  4. Re: [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents)

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Attila on Thursday 04 October 2007 10:58 : \____
    >

    > I try to avoid the gender/age thing and I referred to this as "parents"
    > (subject line says "patents", but it's a classic QWERTY typo).

    And patents are much worse than parents. And patents don't use linux, whoops
    I mean linux doesn't use patents. ;-)
    Att

  5. Re: [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents)

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht
    > Survey: Desktop Linux use grows

    Liar!
    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=2
    --
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/2007...witz-liar.html

  6. Re: [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents)

    Verily I say unto thee, that Attila spake thusly:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> ____/ Attila on Thursday 04 October 2007 10:58 : \____

    >> I try to avoid the gender/age thing and I referred to this as "parents"
    >> (subject line says "patents", but it's a classic QWERTY typo).
    >>

    > And patents are much worse than parents. And patents don't use linux, whoops
    > I mean linux doesn't use patents. ;-)

    Well according to Sweaty, it uses 235 of them (unsubstantiated).

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    00:25:02 up 56 days, 23:19, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.06

  7. Re: [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents)

    Hentje den Klotsoksel wrote:
    > "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht
    >> Survey: Desktop Linux use grows

    > Liar!
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=2
    > --
    > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/2007...witz-liar.html

    Excuse me, but, those stats are from user modifidied logs on servers
    that monitor 40,000 servers selected for their Microsoft applications or
    leanings.

    Most users of other OSes have their non-IE browser report that it is IE,
    signifying Microsoft Windows usage, when, actually, Opera, Firefox,
    Seamonkey, Safari can report they are IE on Windows. IE can also run on
    other OSes, too, as on Wine or VMWare, or Parallels, or Bootcamp!

    Then, Microsoft tries to also report their marketing strength by quoting
    product stuffed down the pipeline, some of which is lost, destroyed,
    returned...

    The truth is that there are statistics, damned statistics, and lies.

    The majority of users of other OSes don't jump to register themselves as
    using a specific OS or browser, that they legally downloaded or
    collected from a free mailout, or got off a magazine cover.

    We don't see the desktops of Linux in Largo, or schools in 41 states, or
    at IBM, the NYSE, major banks, Reuters News Networks, or Reuters
    Financials, or the FAA, CIA, NSA, DOD, DOT, being reported.

    Where is the report of FreeBSD use by Yahoo, Hotmail? Linux use by
    Microsoft (the Redmond Campus "Linux Lab 400" Linux systems, 15,000
    leased Akamai Linux servers for Microsoft.com and MSN.com, and the
    hundreds of Aruba Linux firewall/routers needed at Corp.)?

    1 million clustered Linux machines at Google, tens of millions at
    Fortune Corporations, or Hollywood's Linux Clusters used for every movie
    from "Titanic - 1997" thru "Shrek 3"?

    How about the Emergency Responder Linux systems nationwide running 911
    systems? How many Linux systems are saving lives? Does your Hospital
    or Veterinarian report the use of Linux to run their infrastructure, and
    some medical embedded devices?

    It is left to the word of Microsoft Market and PR agents. Another
    one-sided report. Does Zune work in Vista, yet? What about the
    situation with drivers lacking in Vista? Is the report true -
    Virus,Instability,Spyware,Trojans,Adware? OH! Everyone runs 9 addon
    programs to fight those problems in Vista?

    GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris, are free, FREE, and immune to the million
    Microsoft virus/malware/trojan/exploits.

    Run what you can cope with, if you have the capability to learn new
    tricks.

    Always use an IPCOP.org firewall with spamassassin and Dan's Guardian,
    as a first defense.

    But, just quit, already, with the stupid, irrelevant, inaccurate
    statistics and PR super sales hype. Microsoft's stock has been
    flatlined since the late 90's, while other tech. stocks have grown in value.

  8. Re: [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents)

    AHappyCamper <@thelandfill.com> wrote:

    >Most users of other OSes have their non-IE browser report that it is IE,

    Well, I don't know about "most". Is there really any need for that,
    these days? Seems to me very counter-productive - if you're using
    Firefox, you should let the world know.

  9. Re: [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents)

    Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:
    > AHappyCamper <@thelandfill.com> wrote:

    >> Most users of other OSes have their non-IE browser report that it
    >> is IE,

    > Well, I don't know about "most". Is there really any need for that,
    > these days? Seems to me very counter-productive - if you're using
    > Firefox, you should let the world know.

    Yes, in fact there are some sites where falsely proclaiming to be "MSIE"
    can be a distinct /disadvantage/:

    http://slated.org/killbillsbrowser.html

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    15:39:47 up 57 days, 14:34, 2 users, load average: 0.04, 0.14, 0.08

  10. Re: [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents)

    "AHappyCamper" <@thelandfill.com> wrote in message
    > Hentje den Klotsoksel wrote:
    >> "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht
    >>> Survey: Desktop Linux use grows

    >> Liar!
    >> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=2
    >> --
    >> http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/2007...witz-liar.html

    Hi "flyer" - how's the local idiot doing these days?

    > Excuse me, but, those stats are from user modifidied logs on servers

    Proof of this. Of course you don't have any. Typical COLA liar.

    > that monitor 40,000 servers selected for their Microsoft applications or
    > leanings.

    Proof that they were selected for their MS apps. Of course you don't have
    any. Typical COLA liar.

    > Most users of other OSes have their non-IE browser report that it is IE,

    "Most users" - proof of this "fact" that you pulled out of your fat ass. Of
    course you don't have any. Typical COLA liar.

    > signifying Microsoft Windows usage, when, actually, Opera, Firefox,
    > Seamonkey, Safari can report they are IE on Windows. IE can also run on
    > other OSes, too, as on Wine or VMWare, or Parallels, or Bootcamp!

    Riiiight... I'm sure this stat is because of all of the linux users who run
    IE via Wine on their linux machine. (Idiot)

    > Then, Microsoft tries to also report their marketing strength by quoting
    > product stuffed down the pipeline, some of which is lost, destroyed,
    > returned...

    How exactly is this site affiliated with Microsoft? Of course it isn't but
    that doesn't stop a COLA liar like you does it.

    > The truth is that there are statistics, damned statistics, and lies.

    These are statistics. And they are damning to linux users. And you are a
    liar.

    > The majority of users of other OSes don't jump to register themselves as
    > using a specific OS or browser, that they legally downloaded or
    > collected from a free mailout, or got off a magazine cover.

    And you have proof of this where exactly? Of course you don't because it's
    more BS spewing from your anal mouth.

    > We don't see the desktops of Linux in Largo, or schools in 41 states, or
    > at IBM, the NYSE, major banks, Reuters News Networks, or Reuters
    > Financials, or the FAA, CIA, NSA, DOD, DOT, being reported.

    You do see these reported. They are the 0.7% marketshare.

    - Rest of delusional bull**** too stupid to bother responding too.

  11. Re: [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents)

    [H]omer had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 05-10-07 16:42:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:
    >> AHappyCamper <@thelandfill.com> wrote:

    >>> Most users of other OSes have their non-IE browser report that it
    >>> is IE,

    >> Well, I don't know about "most". Is there really any need for that,
    >> these days? Seems to me very counter-productive - if you're using
    >> Firefox, you should let the world know.

    > Yes, in fact there are some sites where falsely proclaiming to be "MSIE"
    > can be a distinct /disadvantage/:
    >
    > http://slated.org/killbillsbrowser.html

    I am afraid this site does not recognize Firefox on Linux. I tried the
    site and was redirected to the Mozilla-firefox site. I already use
    firefox on Mandriva Linux and never changed the user agent......

    Erik Jan

  12. Re: [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents)

    "Erik Jan" wrote in message
    news:47065908$0$734$3a628fcd@textreader.nntp.hccne t.nl...
    > [H]omer had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 05-10-07 16:42:
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:

    >>> Well, I don't know about "most". Is there really any need for that,
    >>> these days? Seems to me very counter-productive - if you're using
    >>> Firefox, you should let the world know.

    >> Yes, in fact there are some sites where falsely proclaiming to be "MSIE"
    >> can be a distinct /disadvantage/:
    >>
    >> http://slated.org/killbillsbrowser.html
    >>

    > I am afraid this site does not recognize Firefox on Linux. I tried the
    > site and was redirected to the Mozilla-firefox site. I already use firefox
    > on Mandriva Linux and never changed the user agent......

    [H]omer can't get anything right. He doesn't really care if anyone visits
    that crap site of his. His pride lies with being able to post to COLA that
    he doesn't like IE. A few 'minor bugs' like also killing FireFox is
    acceptable.

  13. Re: [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents)

    Verily I say unto thee, that Erik Jan spake thusly:
    > [H]omer had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 05-10-07 16:42:

    >> http://slated.org/killbillsbrowser.html

    > I am afraid this site does not recognize Firefox on Linux. I tried
    > the site and was redirected to the Mozilla-firefox site. I already
    > use firefox on Mandriva Linux and never changed the user agent......

    Erm ... the only way you'd end up at Mozilla, is if you /clicked/ on the
    image. This is the intended behaviour, since the page you are looking at
    is not the front page to my site, it is what MSIE users are /redirected/
    to. For (non-IE) access, simply go to .

    FWIW, here's the code (PHP):

    $userAgent=strtolower($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']);
    if(strstr($userAgent, 'msie'))
    {
    header("Location: http://slated.org/killbillsbrowser.html");
    exit();
    }

    Brazenly copied from the infamous "Why Firefox is blocked" site (with
    the obvious modification).

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    17:08:52 up 57 days, 16:03, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.03

  14. Re: [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer

    wrote
    on Fri, 05 Oct 2007 15:42:47 +0100
    <74vht4-r0r.ln1@sky.matrix>:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:
    >> AHappyCamper <@thelandfill.com> wrote:

    >>> Most users of other OSes have their non-IE browser report that it
    >>> is IE,

    >> Well, I don't know about "most". Is there really any need for that,
    >> these days? Seems to me very counter-productive - if you're using
    >> Firefox, you should let the world know.

    > Yes, in fact there are some sites where falsely proclaiming to be "MSIE"
    > can be a distinct /disadvantage/:
    >
    > http://slated.org/killbillsbrowser.html

    Um....is it me, or is that website extremely confused?
    Then again, I could see servers redirecting thereto if
    they do detect an IE header -- which presumably is its purpose.

    An attempt to reference http://slated.org/ from IE resulted
    in a redirect to this webpage. (Good for them!)

    Using Mozzie rewarded me with a story about Bungie losing
    out to Microsoft after releasing Halo 3 (ick), and a
    response to an opinion piece from Michael Gartenberg,
    refuting his claims about "Linux not being ready for the desktop".

    Dillo also showed the same webpage -- though in its own
    rather naive fashion. For some reason my homebrew Java
    JEditorPane affair got a 403 response. Par for the course,
    presumably.

    ("Linux not ready for the desktop"? Are they kidding?
    The notion of a "desktop" is so mucked up anyway. The idea
    was originally that for an information terminal; look at
    old sci-fi for some ideas. The best one I can think of
    is Arthur C. Clarke's iconic 2001 series (written in 1968;
    the film came out 5 years later), suggesting a "Newspad",
    which is very close to a modern webpage -- about the
    only thing Mr. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick got right;
    most of the rest of their predictions fell slightly short
    (along with the Berlin Wall). But oh well. Where did a
    "desktop" get "innovated"?)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #2239120:
    void f(char *p) {char *q = p; strcpy(p,q); }

  15. Re: [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents)

    Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote on Fri, 05 Oct 2007 03:30:16 +0100
    > <47674134.CbHQpQj0RX@schestowitz.com>:

    >> Microsoft too busy to name Linux patents
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | First you get everyone riled claiming open source and Linux
    >> | infringe on your patents, then you won't detail those patents.
    >> | Why? The paperwork.
    >> |
    >> | Yes, Microsoft cited administrative overhead for not detailing
    >> | the 235 Microsoft patents its chief legal counsel recently told
    >> | Forbes exist in Linux and open source.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05...ovell_patents/
    >>

    > Paperwork?
    >
    > PAPERWORK???
    >
    > They won't reveal them because of *administrative paperwork????*

    If you read between the lines of that paperwork, you'll see:

    "Go away, we're too busy (grumble, grumble)."

    IOW they are full of it.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    18:01:54 up 57 days, 16:56, 2 users, load average: 0.04, 0.02, 0.03

  16. Re: [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents)

    Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:

    > Um....is it me, or is that website extremely confused? Then again, I
    > could see servers redirecting thereto if they do detect an IE header
    > -- which presumably is its purpose.

    Yes.

    > An attempt to reference http://slated.org/ from IE resulted in a
    > redirect to this webpage. (Good for them!)

    Thanks

    > Dillo also showed the same webpage -- though in its own rather naive
    > fashion. For some reason my homebrew Java JEditorPane affair got a
    > 403 response. Par for the course, presumably.

    According to the weblogs, which logged your IP and credit card number,
    your user agent was "Java/1.6.0_02", which was 403'd because "User-Agent
    was found on blacklist". I could change that, but I'm not going to :-P

    > ("Linux not ready for the desktop"? Are they kidding? The notion of
    > a "desktop" is so mucked up anyway. The idea was originally that for
    > an information terminal; look at old sci-fi for some ideas.

    Futurism rarely produces accurate predictions (I'm still waiting for my
    flying Delorean time machine). One thing I notice about many a kitsch
    Sci-Fi movie, is the proliferation and quality of video communications
    across entire galaxies (in some cases). Glorious Technicolor hi-def
    images flying around the universe, in some yesteryear vision of the
    future, and yet here we are ... in that future, and the best I can get
    is a pokey little flv over GooTube.

    I'm going to start a class action against Flash Gordon.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    18:38:56 up 57 days, 17:33, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.04

  17. Re: [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer

    wrote
    on Fri, 05 Oct 2007 18:03:54 +0100
    :
    > Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
    >> wrote on Fri, 05 Oct 2007 03:30:16 +0100
    >> <47674134.CbHQpQj0RX@schestowitz.com>:

    >>> Microsoft too busy to name Linux patents
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05...ovell_patents/
    >>>

    >> Paperwork?
    >>
    >> PAPERWORK???
    >>
    >> They won't reveal them because of *administrative paperwork????*

    > If you read between the lines of that paperwork, you'll see:
    >
    > "Go away, we're too busy (grumble, grumble)."
    >
    > IOW they are full of it.

    That, too.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
    class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };

  18. Re: [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents)

    ____/ chrisv on Friday 05 October 2007 15:05 : \____

    > AHappyCamper <@thelandfill.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Most users of other OSes have their non-IE browser report that it is IE,

    > Well, I don't know about "most". Is there really any need for that,
    > these days? Seems to me very counter-productive - if you're using
    > Firefox, you should let the world know.

    I don't. As a matter of principle even. These stats mean nothing.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Spam enchanted evening..."

  19. Re: [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer

    wrote
    on Fri, 05 Oct 2007 18:40:14 +0100
    :
    > Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    >
    >> Um....is it me, or is that website extremely confused? Then again, I
    >> could see servers redirecting thereto if they do detect an IE header
    >> -- which presumably is its purpose.

    > Yes.
    >
    >> An attempt to reference http://slated.org/ from IE resulted in a
    >> redirect to this webpage. (Good for them!)

    > Thanks

    Heh. Well, then, good for you. :-)

    >> Dillo also showed the same webpage -- though in its own rather naive
    >> fashion. For some reason my homebrew Java JEditorPane affair got a
    >> 403 response. Par for the course, presumably.

    > According to the weblogs, which logged your IP and credit card number,
    > your user agent was "Java/1.6.0_02", which was 403'd because "User-Agent
    > was found on blacklist". I could change that, but I'm not going to :-P

    Hmm...been bombarded by a few Javabots, eh? :-) Oh well.
    I'll fix that soon enough. *evil grin*

    (Credit card number??? Heh. Not likely. Might have a
    gateway artifact; that's about it. I'd have to look.)

    >> ("Linux not ready for the desktop"? Are they kidding? The notion of
    >> a "desktop" is so mucked up anyway. The idea was originally that for
    >> an information terminal; look at old sci-fi for some ideas.

    > Futurism rarely produces accurate predictions (I'm still waiting for my
    > flying Delorean time machine). One thing I notice about many a kitsch
    > Sci-Fi movie, is the proliferation and quality of video communications
    > across entire galaxies (in some cases). Glorious Technicolor hi-def
    > images flying around the universe, in some yesteryear vision of the
    > future, and yet here we are ... in that future, and the best I can get
    > is a pokey little flv over GooTube.
    >
    > I'm going to start a class action against Flash Gordon.

    I wouldn't worry overly much; the flatpanels are rather
    impressive. I'm using one now, in fact -- a Samsung
    Syncmaster 226BW. The main worry I have is tipping
    it over if I push too hard on it while wiping the screen.

    Of course, this one's small compared to the wallmounted
    units -- and cheaper. But you're right; the Internet
    video positively sucks, especially if one goes fullscreen.

    This might be the reason SilverLight is so attractive.
    (Will it work? Good question; I don't have a clue there.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
    class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };

  20. Re: [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents)

    In article , "[H]omer" wrote:
    > According to the weblogs, which logged your IP and credit card number,
    > your user agent was "Java/1.6.0_02", which was 403'd because "User-Agent
    > was found on blacklist". I could change that, but I'm not going to :-P

    Linonut will be annoyed with you. He says that server owners don't have
    the right to exclude people like you are doing--you *owe* everyone
    service.

    --
    --Tim Smith

+ Reply to Thread