[News] Barrier to Linux: Windows-only Education - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Barrier to Linux: Windows-only Education - Linux ; Microsoft shop seeks help with multiplying Linux boxes ,----[ Quote ] | The majority of our IT staff] are Windows administrators. They are not | familiar with Linux. `---- http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...275200,00.html So Linux is great, but the people that are employees ...

  1. [News] Barrier to Linux: Windows-only Education

    Microsoft shop seeks help with multiplying Linux boxes

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The majority of our IT staff] are Windows administrators. They are not
    | familiar with Linux.
    `----

    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...275200,00.html

    So Linux is great, but the people that are employees are not. No wonder Linux
    skills have become so sought-after.

    Related:

    Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
    |
    | "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
    | people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
    | As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
    | They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
    `----

    http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/...t_billion.html

    Batavia parents to shell out for back-to-school

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The district recently sent a letter to high school parents notifying them
    | that all the computers in the district this summer are being updated with
    | Microsoft Office 2007. *
    |
    | District officials could not be reached for comment.
    |
    | The letter stressed the disadvantages of not having the new software, which
    | carries a suggested retail price of $499.99.
    |
    | “If students use an older version of Microsoft Office at home, it is usually
    | possible to translate their projects back and forth between different
    | versions of Microsoft Office,”the letter said. “However, this can be a
    | tedious process, and information may not be always be translated properly.” *
    `----

    http://www.kcchronicle.com/articles/...5330494432.txt

  2. Re: [News] Barrier to Linux: Windows-only Education

    > Microsoft shop seeks help with multiplying Linux boxes
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The majority of our IT staff] are Windows administrators. They are not
    > | familiar with Linux.
    > `----
    >
    > http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...275200,00.html
    >
    > So Linux is great, but the people that are employees are not. No wonder Linux
    > skills have become so sought-after.

    Yeah, who needs to hire a trained professional, when one of the Windows
    monkeys can administer a Linux box using a Windows gooey (God help
    them). Hackers, start your engines!

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    04:01:12 up 57 days, 2:56, 2 users, load average: 0.14, 0.13, 0.09

  3. Re: [News] Barrier to Linux: Windows-only Education

    ____/ [H]omer on Friday 05 October 2007 04:03 : \____

    >> Microsoft shop seeks help with multiplying Linux boxes
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The majority of our IT staff] are Windows administrators. They are not
    >> | familiar with Linux.
    >> `----

    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...275200,00.html

    >> So Linux is great, but the people that are employees are not. No wonder
    >> Linux skills have become so sought-after.

    > Yeah, who needs to hire a trained professional, when one of the Windows
    > monkeys can administer a Linux box using a Windows gooey (God help
    > them). Hackers, start your engines!

    There's a whole generation of computer professionals (GUI slingers) waiting to
    become obsolete. Even Longhorn embraces this realisation that a CLI is needed.
    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Life is too short to proofread"
    Mem: 515500k total, 444128k used, 71372k free, 5660k buffers