List of tools for C development in Linux. - Linux

This is a discussion on List of tools for C development in Linux. - Linux ; You develop Linux apps in C/C++ on Linux? What tools do you use? e.g ldd displays which libraries are linked in. Objdump displays info from object files. What tools do you use and why? Often there are so many good ...

  1. List of tools for C development in Linux.

    You develop Linux apps in C/C++ on Linux?

    What tools do you use?

    e.g ldd displays which libraries are linked in. Objdump displays info
    from object files.

    What tools do you use and why?

    Often there are so many good tools its easy to overlook one which might
    make ones working day a lot easier.

  2. Re: List of tools for C development in Linux.

    In article <87abu39krl.fsf@gmail.com>, Hadron wrote:

    >What tools do you use?

    vim
    gcc

    Sometimes gdb

    --
    http://www.spinics.net/lists/

  3. Re: List of tools for C development in Linux.

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:39:58 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > You develop Linux apps in C/C++ on Linux?

    Yes, primarily for embedded systems.

    > What tools do you use?

    XEmacs, gcc, gdb, binutils, diff, grep, patch, cvs. I have an Abatron
    BDI2000 for debugging boot code and the like, it works well with gdb.

    Mainly I use this suite of tools because it works for all of the
    embedded processors I have used for the last several years. I don't
    care for learning a new proprietary GUI for each project.

    For hosted apps, such as automated test programs and things like that,
    especially if there is a GUI involved, I tend to use Python. That is
    not my primary job so I want to get it over with quickly 8=>

    --
    -| Bob Hauck
    -| "Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -- Stephen Colbert

  4. Re: List of tools for C development in Linux.

    On 11 Jul, 13:39, Hadron wrote:
    > You develop Linux apps in C/C++ on Linux?
    >
    > What tools do you use?
    >
    > e.g ldd displays which libraries are linked in. Objdump displays info
    > from object files.
    >
    > What tools do you use and why?

    vim - to edit code
    git - to keep track of changes
    screen - to navigate the console
    auto{conf,make} - to standardize packages
    libtool - to abstract away details of library construction
    dpkg - to stay sane
    gdb - to go crazy
    cgdb - to analyze core dumps
    sed - to confuse co-workers
    bash - because I don't have time to learn zsh
    strace - to watch a program's flow
    fortune - to generate high-quality pseudo-random values

    Actually, I've been thinking for at least a year that it
    would be nice to have some sort of monitoring system
    running so that I could analyze what programs I use
    most during the day. Something that might give me a
    dump at the end of the day that looks something like:

    program: # of invocations: time spent
    vim 2 7:35:13
    sed 254 -
    cgdb 2 0:24:12

    Or something like that. Just a simple statistic
    so that I know what tools I'm using most. Does
    anyone know of a reasonable implementation that
    does that sort of thing? Occasionally, I've
    parsed my shell's history, but that's not terribly
    helpful. I don't know exactly what I'm looking
    for. I've recently done a minimal install,
    and after nearly a month I'm still surprised to
    find tools that I thought I used regularly
    are not yet installed. Just yesterday I realized
    that the box didn't have glibc info pages...I thought
    I was looking at those at least once a week!

  5. Re: List of tools for C development in Linux.

    In article <1184209370.460572.42430@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.co m>,
    William Pursell wrote:

    >vim - to edit code
    >git - to keep track of changes
    >screen - to navigate the console
    >auto{conf,make} - to standardize packages
    >libtool - to abstract away details of library construction
    >dpkg - to stay sane
    >gdb - to go crazy
    >cgdb - to analyze core dumps
    >sed - to confuse co-workers
    >bash - because I don't have time to learn zsh
    >strace - to watch a program's flow
    >fortune - to generate high-quality pseudo-random values

    ctags to help with vim.

  6. Re: List of tools for C development in Linux.

    wine + source sight for edit (I ever used vim ... but ...)
    gdb for debugging
    strace for watch programming running flow
    valgrind for memory check
    cachegrind for performance tuning
    splint for static checker
    svn for version control

  7. Re: List of tools for C development in Linux.

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:39:58 +0200 Hadron wrote:

    | You develop Linux apps in C/C++ on Linux?
    |
    | What tools do you use?
    |
    | e.g ldd displays which libraries are linked in. Objdump displays info
    | from object files.
    |
    | What tools do you use and why?

    bash - it's the IDE
    emacs - it's where code comes from
    make - another IDE
    gcc - it's where code goes to
    ld - finish where gcc left off
    ldd - make sure
    strace - make really sure
    rm - the most important one of all

    | Often there are so many good tools its easy to overlook one which might
    | make ones working day a lot easier.

    I probably have overlooked one or more. Got any suggestions?

    | first name lower case at ipal.net / spamtrap-2007-07-14-0930@ipal.net |

  8. Re: List of tools for C development in Linux.

    Hadron writes:

    > You develop Linux apps in C/C++ on Linux?
    >
    > What tools do you use?
    >
    > e.g ldd displays which libraries are linked in. Objdump displays info
    > from object files.
    >
    > What tools do you use and why?
    >
    > Often there are so many good tools its easy to overlook one which might
    > make ones working day a lot easier.

    Emacs code reading(with cscope) and editing.
    gcc major compiler.
    gdb debugger.
    valgrind memory leak detection tool.

    Best Regards