Alternatives to signals - Linux

This is a discussion on Alternatives to signals - Linux ; hi, I am trying to send notifiications from kernel to user-mode process in linux. What are the ways to achieve this? I found two ways 1) signals 2) using the /proc file system are there any other ways to to ...

  1. Alternatives to signals

    hi,
    I am trying to send notifiications from kernel to user-mode
    process in linux. What are the ways to achieve this?
    I found two ways
    1) signals
    2) using the /proc file system

    are there any other ways to to notify user mode process from the
    kernel.

    thanks
    harry

  2. Re: Alternatives to signals

    In article <1184027806.007029.213500@j4g2000prf.googlegroups.c om>,
    wrote:

    >are there any other ways to to notify user mode process from the
    >kernel.

    Theres select and poll.

  3. Re: Alternatives to signals

    On Jul 10, 8:36 am, harsha....@gmail.com wrote:
    > hi,
    > I am trying to send notifiications from kernel to user-mode
    > process in linux. What are the ways to achieve this?
    > I found two ways
    > 1) signals
    > 2) using the /proc file system
    >
    > are there any other ways to to notify user mode process from the
    > kernel.
    >
    > thanks
    > harry

    netlink socket, google it.

  4. Re: Alternatives to signals

    harsha.kgp@gmail.com wrote:
    > hi,
    > I am trying to send notifiications from kernel to user-mode
    > process in linux. What are the ways to achieve this?
    > I found two ways
    > 1) signals
    > 2) using the /proc file system
    >
    > are there any other ways to to notify user mode process from the
    > kernel.

    There's only one way to send asynchronous notifications to a user
    process and that is signals.
    Obviously, there are a couple of other ways to send synchronous
    notifications: select/poll, read in /proc or /sys or /dev.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)