Help for embedded linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Help for embedded linux - Linux ; Hello Everybody, I am a embeded developer. I am a linux newbie and i have to port linux to my developement board. the developement board has ARM9 core, i.MX21 processor. Our application is that I have to take image data ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Help for embedded linux

  1. Help for embedded linux

    Hello Everybody,

    I am a embeded developer. I am a linux newbie and i have to port linux
    to my developement board. the developement board has ARM9 core, i.MX21
    processor. Our application is that I have to take image data from CMOS
    sensor camera and compress it using hardware inbuilt in the processor.
    Then i have to store it locally on IDE HDD and also send it over to the
    internet. Also the board has 2 USB ports which r going to be connected
    to the USB to wifi convertors from D-Link.

    I am a newbie to linux. Although I am good in OS concepts and I have a
    used red hat for abt 1 yr. ad also read a lot abt linux kernel
    internals.

    My main problem is how to start porting. I do have a compressed source
    tree for the developement board. Should i start reading the source or
    just get to know how to configure it?


  2. Re: Help for embedded linux

    In article <1168326495.652512.163010@42g2000cwt.googlegroups.c om>,
    ksashtekar@gmail.com wrote:

    >My main problem is how to start porting.


    Linux has already been ported to ARM processors. You might need
    to modify some of the startup code if your board isn't covered but
    it isn't too hard. I did it for a MIPS board and it was just a
    matter of working my way though the code to the point where the
    kernel is running. Just make sure you get the early printk working
    early

    --
    http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm/
    http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/

  3. Re: Help for embedded linux

    Did you get the Linux kernel running on your development board? There
    will be pretty a lot job if the answer is no. Otherwise, you just need
    to enable the devices and interfaces with device drivers, and port your
    application software onto it. I believe the application porting is the
    easiest thing.

    Wenfeng
    ksashtekar@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello Everybody,
    >
    > I am a embeded developer. I am a linux newbie and i have to port linux
    > to my developement board. the developement board has ARM9 core, i.MX21
    > processor. Our application is that I have to take image data from CMOS
    > sensor camera and compress it using hardware inbuilt in the processor.
    > Then i have to store it locally on IDE HDD and also send it over to the
    > internet. Also the board has 2 USB ports which r going to be connected
    > to the USB to wifi convertors from D-Link.
    >
    > I am a newbie to linux. Although I am good in OS concepts and I have a
    > used red hat for abt 1 yr. ad also read a lot abt linux kernel
    > internals.
    >
    > My main problem is how to start porting. I do have a compressed source
    > tree for the developement board. Should i start reading the source or
    > just get to know how to configure it?



  4. Re: Help for embedded linux

    hi,

    The board vendor has provided me with the kernel binary. He does
    provide me
    with the source tree(2.6.11) but that is not fully configured for the
    board.
    Anyway I _have_ to use 2.6.16 (ARM) b'coz is has some features that my
    proj requires.

    So anyway I have to do all the config myself to suit linux 2.6.16 for
    my board. So,
    in this case how much effort would be req and what would be the typical
    steps req to get linux up on the board and running. It's ok if the
    hardware devices like HDD, USB, and other
    unnecessary hardware is not enabled right now. i have flash memory for
    putting
    binary, the root fs and the boot loader. only i need that the basic
    kernel runs properly
    and display cmd line console (using busybox) on the serial port.

    Liu Wenfeng wrote:
    > Did you get the Linux kernel running on your development board? There
    > will be pretty a lot job if the answer is no. Otherwise, you just need
    > to enable the devices and interfaces with device drivers, and port your
    > application software onto it. I believe the application porting is the
    > easiest thing.
    >
    > Wenfeng
    > ksashtekar@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hello Everybody,
    > >
    > > I am a embeded developer. I am a linux newbie and i have to port linux
    > > to my developement board. the developement board has ARM9 core, i.MX21
    > > processor. Our application is that I have to take image data from CMOS
    > > sensor camera and compress it using hardware inbuilt in the processor.
    > > Then i have to store it locally on IDE HDD and also send it over to the
    > > internet. Also the board has 2 USB ports which r going to be connected
    > > to the USB to wifi convertors from D-Link.
    > >
    > > I am a newbie to linux. Although I am good in OS concepts and I have a
    > > used red hat for abt 1 yr. ad also read a lot abt linux kernel
    > > internals.
    > >
    > > My main problem is how to start porting. I do have a compressed source
    > > tree for the developement board. Should i start reading the source or
    > > just get to know how to configure it?



  5. Re: Help for embedded linux

    "ksashtekar@gmail.com" wrote in
    news:1168334024.172048.232180@42g2000cwt.googlegro ups.com:

    > The board vendor has provided me with the kernel binary. He does
    > provide me
    > with the source tree(2.6.11) but that is not fully configured for the
    > board.
    > Anyway I _have_ to use 2.6.16 (ARM) b'coz is has some features that my
    > proj requires.


    I would focus first on diff'ing the source tree the vendor provided against
    the standard 2.6.11 distribution to see what changes the vendor made that
    haven't been folded back into the standard distribution. That's probably a
    good starting point for what you'll have to do to 2.6.16.

    When you say that the vendor-provided tree is not fully configured, do you
    mean that the vendor is unwilling to give you the .config file they used to
    compile the kernel?

    GH

  6. Re: Help for embedded linux

    Gil Hamilton wrote:
    > "ksashtekar@gmail.com" wrote in
    > news:1168334024.172048.232180@42g2000cwt.googlegro ups.com:
    >
    > > The board vendor has provided me with the kernel binary. He does
    > > provide me
    > > with the source tree(2.6.11) but that is not fully configured for the
    > > board.
    > > Anyway I _have_ to use 2.6.16 (ARM) b'coz is has some features that my
    > > proj requires.

    >
    > I would focus first on diff'ing the source tree the vendor provided against
    > the standard 2.6.11 distribution to see what changes the vendor made that
    > haven't been folded back into the standard distribution. That's probably a
    > good starting point for what you'll have to do to 2.6.16.
    >
    > When you say that the vendor-provided tree is not fully configured, do you
    > mean that the vendor is unwilling to give you the .config file they used to
    > compile the kernel?
    >

    Yes you are right. There is no .config file in the root directory of
    the source tree. also the makefile looks very generic.

    I had another doubt. can I use windows to cross compile the arm linux
    kernel. I have installed cygwin on my WinXP machine.
    I can get a red hat machine if required but i will miss my apps like
    slickedit editor to whose features which i am used to. So, what I
    should use as a development platform ? do we have a good IDE in linux
    which has code browsing features?
    > GH



  7. Re: Help for embedded linux


    ellis@no.spam wrote:
    > In article <1168326495.652512.163010@42g2000cwt.googlegroups.c om>,
    > ksashtekar@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > >My main problem is how to start porting.

    >
    > Linux has already been ported to ARM processors. You might need
    > to modify some of the startup code if your board isn't covered but
    > it isn't too hard. I did it for a MIPS board and it was just a
    > matter of working my way though the code to the point where the
    > kernel is running. Just make sure you get the early printk working
    > early
    >
    > --
    > http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm/
    > http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/


    Thanks for the links. They are great !.


  8. Re: Help for embedded linux

    Hi!

    ksashtekar@gmail.com wrote:
    > ...
    > Yes you are right. There is no .config file in the root directory of
    > the source tree. also the makefile looks very generic.
    >
    > I had another doubt. can I use windows to cross compile the arm linux
    > kernel. I have installed cygwin on my WinXP machine.

    I think this (cygwin) won't be enough to cross-compile all the needed
    stuff...

    > I can get a red hat machine if required but i will miss my apps like
    > slickedit editor to whose features which i am used to. So, what I
    > should use as a development platform ? do we have a good IDE in linux
    > which has code browsing features?

    Perhaps you would like kdevelop (under KDE) to browse your code albeit I'd
    suggest emacs as your general learn-once-use-everywhere-default-tool!
    ;-)

    HTH! Salut, Jörg

    --
    gpg/pgp key # 0xd7fa4512
    fingerprint 4e89 6967 9cb2 f548 a806 7e8b fcf4 2053 d7fa 4512

  9. Re: Help for embedded linux

    "ksashtekar@gmail.com" wrote in
    news:1168346465.082036.91530@38g2000cwa.googlegrou ps.com:

    > Gil Hamilton wrote:
    >> When you say that the vendor-provided tree is not fully configured,
    >> do you mean that the vendor is unwilling to give you the .config file
    >> they used to compile the kernel?
    >>

    > Yes you are right. There is no .config file in the root directory of
    > the source tree. also the makefile looks very generic.


    The makefile should look very generic. There is generally very little
    that is architecture-specific in the makefile.

    Look in the arch/arm/configs directory and see if the vendor hasn't left
    you a template for the .config file. You have a lot of learning to do
    before you will be able to get linux running on your board.

    > I had another doubt. can I use windows to cross compile the arm linux
    > kernel. I have installed cygwin on my WinXP machine.
    > I can get a red hat machine if required but i will miss my apps like
    > slickedit editor to whose features which i am used to. So, what I
    > should use as a development platform ? do we have a good IDE in linux
    > which has code browsing features?


    Ask the vendor what cross-compiler environment they use to compile it
    and for a copy of their gcc tool chain; there's a good chance they use
    an x86 environment to cross-compile. You don't want to have to
    re-invent this wheel if you don't have to. If you do have to, prepare
    for another significant learning curve. (I would be very surprised if
    it is even possible to cross-compile a Linux kernel from Windows.)

    I see no reason why you couldn't samba-mount your filesystem onto a
    Windows box and use your favorite Windows editor (to edit only, not to
    build), though it certainly wouldn't be my choice.

    GH

+ Reply to Thread