linux kernel not seeing pci device - Linux

This is a discussion on linux kernel not seeing pci device - Linux ; i have a home grown pci card that can be detected by u-boot. ('pci' command shows vendor and device id of my card) but linux kernel doens't detect the card. (lspci or scanpci command doesn't display the card) what's the ...

  1. linux kernel not seeing pci device

    i have a home grown pci card that can be detected by u-boot.
    ('pci' command shows vendor and device id of my card)

    but linux kernel doens't detect the card. (lspci or scanpci command
    doesn't display the card)

    what's the best way to troubleshoot this problem?

    thank you in advance..

  2. Re: linux kernel not seeing pci device

    If you use a standard distribution the card's parameters should be
    available in the /proc file system. With SUSE even visible with Yast.

    -Michael

  3. Re: linux kernel not seeing pci device

    In article ,
    Michael Schnell wrote:

    >If you use a standard distribution the card's parameters should be
    >available in the /proc file system. With SUSE even visible with Yast.

    But lspci is already reading /proc/bus/pci/devices for him. If it's
    not showing up there, he probably doesn't have the hardware working.

    --
    http://www.spinics.net/lists/

  4. Re: linux kernel not seeing pci device

    > But lspci is already reading /proc/bus/pci/devices for him. If it's
    > not showing up there, he probably doesn't have the hardware working.

    I suppose in a PC, all these don't do hardware access themselves but
    just gather informations from the PCI-Bios that probes the hardware when
    starting the PC. I don't know how hot-plugging PCI works.

    Maybe the PCI-Bios can/needs to be configured for PCI accesses and/or
    somehow shows what it finds.

    -Michael

  5. Re: linux kernel not seeing pci device

    hi everyone, i know the hardware is working because uboot can read the
    card's vendor id/and device id. forgot to mention that i am on MIPS
    platform.

    lastweek i downloaded scanpci utility to scan pci and the card didn't
    show up.
    i am wondering at this point --may be uboot takes all pci devices out
    of reset but linux doesn't.

    i will probably have to look into the uboot and kernel code and
    compare...

    Michael Schnell wrote:
    > > But lspci is already reading /proc/bus/pci/devices for him. If it's
    > > not showing up there, he probably doesn't have the hardware working.

    > I suppose in a PC, all these don't do hardware access themselves but
    > just gather informations from the PCI-Bios that probes the hardware when
    > starting the PC. I don't know how hot-plugging PCI works.
    >
    > Maybe the PCI-Bios can/needs to be configured for PCI accesses and/or
    > somehow shows what it finds.
    >
    > -Michael

  6. Re: linux kernel not seeing pci device

    mcharon@gmail.com wrote:
    > i have a home grown pci card that can be detected by u-boot.
    > ('pci' command shows vendor and device id of my card)
    >
    > but linux kernel doens't detect the card. (lspci or scanpci command
    > doesn't display the card)
    >
    > what's the best way to troubleshoot this problem?
    >
    > thank you in advance..

    Is it safe to assume that lspci works? You do see devices listed with
    lspci. I have seen lspci fail to work because of kernel config changes.
    Just for grins, you might want to check sysfs.

    grep /sys/bus/pci/devices/*/vendor

    Also look at /var/log/dmesg and see if your device is mentioned there.

    Good luck.
    John

  7. Re: linux kernel not seeing pci device

    In article <1168049223.545420.198100@51g2000cwl.googlegroups.c om>,
    wrote:

    >but linux kernel doens't detect the card.

    Which linux kernel?

    --
    http://www.spinics.net/lists/kernel/

  8. Re: linux kernel not seeing pci device

    In article <1168277873.700340.131180@42g2000cwt.googlegroups.c om>,
    wrote:

    >hi everyone, i know the hardware is working because uboot can read the
    >card's vendor id/and device id.

    Have you looked at the uboot source to see what it is doing?

    >forgot to mention that i am on MIPS platform.

    That shouldn't matter.

    >lastweek i downloaded scanpci utility to scan pci and the card didn't
    >show up.
    >i am wondering at this point --may be uboot takes all pci devices out
    >of reset but linux doesn't.

    Check the source.

    >i will probably have to look into the uboot and kernel code and
    >compare...

    Yep.

    --
    http://www.spinics.net/lists/mips/