unresolved symbols - Linux

This is a discussion on unresolved symbols - Linux ; Hi there, Happy new year! I am getting an error when running "make modules_install" in a 2.4.21 kernel. I'm trying to compile a low level disk trace module originally built for kernel 2.4.17. Please, see the error below: > if ...

  1. unresolved symbols

    Hi there,

    Happy new year!

    I am getting an error when running "make modules_install" in a 2.4.21
    kernel. I'm trying to compile a low level disk trace module originally
    built for kernel 2.4.17. Please, see the error below:

    > if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map 2.4.21-LL_TRACE; fi
    > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.21-LL_TRACE/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_mod.o
    > depmod: __wake_up_sync

    I am newbie at kernel/module development. What should I do to fix this
    error?
    if you need more information, please tell me.
    The trace can be found here: http://owainlloyd.com/ll_trace/

    thank you,

    -Rilson

  2. Re: unresolved symbols

    rilson.nascimento@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Happy new year!
    >
    > I am getting an error when running "make modules_install" in a 2.4.21
    > kernel. I'm trying to compile a low level disk trace module originally
    > built for kernel 2.4.17. Please, see the error below:
    >
    > > if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map 2.4.21-LL_TRACE; fi
    > > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.21-LL_TRACE/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_mod.o
    > > depmod: __wake_up_sync

    The __wake_up_sync() call was removed from the 2.4 kernel around 2.4.19
    as part of some major changes to the process scheduler. You can find
    some of the information with skillful Google searches, and the removal
    announcement can be found at http://kerneltrap.org/node/161

    > I am newbie at kernel/module development. What should I do to fix this
    > error?

    If you are a kernel newbie, then there is little that you /can/ do to
    fix this. You will have to become experienced at kernel development and
    forward-fix your "low level disk trace" module for the new (to your
    code) kernel capabilities, or find a version of this module that has
    been modified accordingly.

    Sorry

    [snip]

    --
    Lew

  3. Re: unresolved symbols

    I thought that a possible solution would be to get an ancient distro
    that has the kernel 2.4.17 and do things there. Some people indicated
    Slackware 8.1.

    thanks,

    On Jan 4, 10:54 am, "Lew Pitcher" wrote:
    > rilson.nascime...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi there,

    > > Happy new year!

    > > I am getting an error when running "make modules_install" in a 2.4.21
    > > kernel. I'm trying to compile a low level disk trace module originally
    > > built for kernel 2.4.17. Please, see the error below:

    > > > if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map 2.4.21-LL_TRACE; fi
    > > > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.21-LL_TRACE/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_mod.o
    > > > depmod: __wake_up_syncThe __wake_up_sync() call was removed from the 2.4 kernel around 2.4.19

    > as part of some major changes to the process scheduler. You can find
    > some of the information with skillful Google searches, and the removal
    > announcement can be found athttp://kerneltrap.org/node/161
    >
    > > I am newbie at kernel/module development. What should I do to fix this
    > > error?If you are a kernel newbie, then there is little that you /can/ do to

    > fix this. You will have to become experienced at kernel development and
    > forward-fix your "low level disk trace" module for the new (to your
    > code) kernel capabilities, or find a version of this module that has
    > been modified accordingly.
    >
    > Sorry
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > --
    > Lew

  4. Re: unresolved symbols

    rilson.nascimento@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jan 4, 10:54 am, "Lew Pitcher" wrote:
    > > rilson.nascime...@gmail.com wrote:

    [snip]
    > > > I am getting an error when running "make modules_install" in a 2.4.21
    > > > kernel. I'm trying to compile a low level disk trace module originally
    > > > built for kernel 2.4.17. Please, see the error below:

    [snip]
    > > > I am newbie at kernel/module development. What should I do to fix this
    > > > error?

    > > If you are a kernel newbie, then there is little that you /can/ do to
    > > fix this. You will have to become experienced at kernel development and
    > > forward-fix your "low level disk trace" module for the new (to your
    > > code) kernel capabilities, or find a version of this module that has
    > > been modified accordingly.

    > I thought that a possible solution would be to get an ancient distro
    > that has the kernel 2.4.17 and do things there. Some people indicated
    > Slackware 8.1.

    Certainly, you can compile your "low level disk trace" module in a
    distro with a back-level kernel. You just won't be able to use the
    resulting module with your 2.4.21 kernel. The missing external function
    will still be missing because it is not available in the 2.4.21 kernel.
    You won't be able to run the module because of the missing external
    function.

    --
    Lew

+ Reply to Thread