regarding ifconfig command - Linux

This is a discussion on regarding ifconfig command - Linux ; hi frnds, i hve a doute regarding some of the ifconfig command. if it is possible to change the MTU and TX_queuelength of the transfer medium using ifconfig command. pls clarify my doute its urgent. -sathiyadev...

  1. regarding ifconfig command

    hi frnds,

    i hve a doute regarding some of the ifconfig command.
    if it is possible to change the MTU and TX_queuelength of the transfer
    medium using ifconfig command. pls clarify my doute its urgent.

    -sathiyadev

  2. Re: regarding ifconfig command

    hi frnd,
    hi frnd,
    im using e1000 - NIC card vendor of this card id
    intel.actually we can change txqueuelen by issuing ifconfig eth0
    txqueuelen 1000 such a command.if we change the vale, once we reboot
    its once again show original value,is there is any command to set the
    value of txqueuelen.pls say me,

    -sathiyadev.
    On Dec 26, 6:54 pm, Bill Marcum wrote:
    > On 26 Dec 2006 01:25:19 -0800, sathiya wrote:
    >
    > > hi frnds,

    > > i hve a doute regarding some of the ifconfig command.
    > > if it is possible to change the MTU and TX_queuelength of the transfer
    > > medium using ifconfig command. pls clarify my doute its urgent.Doesn't your man page say so? If not, what distro, version and

    > hardware platform are you using?
    >
    > --
    > The linuX Files -- The Source is Out There.
    > -- Sent in by Craig S. Bell, g...@aracnet.com

  3. Re: regarding ifconfig command

    sathiya wrote:
    > im using e1000 - NIC card vendor of this card id
    > intel.actually we can change txqueuelen by issuing ifconfig eth0
    > txqueuelen 1000 such a command.if we change the vale, once we reboot
    > its once again show original value,is there is any command to set the
    > value of txqueuelen.pls say me,

    The kernel assigns defaults to those values upon initialisation of the
    device. Further than that, it is typically up to the boot process of the
    system you are using to setup network interfaces, i.e. nothing to do with
    Linux per se but rather with the particular OS around it. In the case of
    DHCP the DHCP client might be responsible for setting those values.

    Further, some notes:
    - On Debian, I'd look into /etc/network, other OSs might have similar setup
    files.
    - Why do you want to change those values? It might be worth mentioning that
    because it might lead to a different solution.
    - Use a spellchecker, proper spelling and interpunction would make it much
    easier to read your postings. I normally don't pick on people because of
    that, but here it is extreme, sorry.
    - Don't top post, don't quote signatures. If you don't know what this
    means, please read a bit about netiquette on the Usenet, please.
    - Nobody cares if the issue is urgent for you, some people even consider
    this respectless because it sounds like you are bossing people around but
    this is not a paid support hotline and demanding anything is totally
    inappropriate.

    cheers and good luck

    Uli

+ Reply to Thread