If pipe excellent? - Linux

This is a discussion on If pipe excellent? - Linux ; Is it has a excellent design? Is it effective at speed and memory?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: If pipe excellent?

  1. If pipe excellent?

    Is it has a excellent design?
    Is it effective at speed and memory?

  2. Re: If pipe excellent?

    In article , Ronald wrote:

    >Is it has a excellent design?
    >Is it effective at speed and memory?


    Is what and for what?

    --
    http://www.spinics.net/lists/

  3. title should be "Is pipe excellent?"

    Ronald wrote:
    > Is it has a excellent design?
    > Is it effective at speed and memory?

    My English is really poor.

  4. Re: If pipe excellent?

    ellis@no.spam wrote:
    > In article , Ronald wrote:
    >
    >> Does it has an excellent design?
    >> Is it effective at speed and memory?

    >
    > Is what and for what?


    Is it a hack, or an excellent design originally? or both?

  5. Re: title should be "Is pipe excellent?"

    On 2006-12-21, Ronald wrote:
    > Ronald wrote:
    >> Is it has a excellent design?
    >> Is it effective at speed and memory?

    > My English is really poor.


    It's often considered bad style to expect people to be able to
    see the subject line while they're reading your post. Not all
    newsreaders show the headers at the same time as the body, so
    the body of the post should make sense without the subject
    line.

    For more hints:

    http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! ... Um...Um...
    at
    visi.com

  6. Re: If pipe excellent?

    In article , Ronald wrote:

    >>> Does it has an excellent design?
    >>> Is it effective at speed and memory?

    >>
    >> Is what and for what?


    >Is it a hack, or an excellent design originally? or both?


    Is what? ANd what are you going to use it for?


  7. Re: If pipe excellent?

    ellis@no.spam wrote:
    > In article , Ronald wrote:
    >
    >>>> Does it has an excellent design?
    >>>> Is it effective at speed and memory?
    >>> Is what and for what?

    >
    >> Is it a hack, or an excellent design originally? or both?

    >
    > Is what? ANd what are you going to use it for?
    >


    itself
    I used to heard it is a great invention.

  8. Re: If pipe excellent?

    On 2006-12-21, Ronald wrote:
    > ellis@no.spam wrote:
    >> In article , Ronald wrote:
    >>
    >>>>> Does it has an excellent design?
    >>>>> Is it effective at speed and memory?
    >>>> Is what and for what?

    >>
    >>> Is it a hack, or an excellent design originally? or both?

    >>
    >> Is what? ANd what are you going to use it for?

    >
    > itself
    > I used to heard it is a great invention.


    You still have answered the question you've been asked multiple
    times: what is "it"? What are you asking about?

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! We are now enjoying
    at total mutual interaction in
    visi.com an imaginary hot tub...

  9. Re: If pipe excellent?

    Ronald wrote in part:
    > I used to heard it is a great invention.


    From the subject line, I presume you're talking about
    the Unix "pipe" | .

    Yes, indeed it is a fabulous invention. Using the OS to tie one
    process input to another's output. It enables programs to work
    together without ever having been designed to work together.

    Lack of a pipe is a major shortcoming of all GUIs.
    Some try to substitute their widgets or toolbelts.

    -- Robert



  10. Re: If pipe excellent?

    ellis@no.spam wrote:
    > In article , Ronald wrote:
    >
    >>>> Does it has an excellent design?
    >>>> Is it effective at speed and memory?
    >>> Is what and for what?

    >
    >> Is it a hack, or an excellent design originally? or both?

    >
    > Is what? ANd what are you going to use it for?
    >

    pipe

    I had not recognized that you might not got the title.

  11. Re: If pipe excellent?

    Grant Edwards wrote:
    > On 2006-12-21, Ronald wrote:
    >> ellis@no.spam wrote:
    >>> In article , Ronald wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>>> Does it has an excellent design?
    >>>>>> Is it effective at speed and memory?
    >>>>> Is what and for what?
    >>>> Is it a hack, or an excellent design originally? or both?
    >>> Is what? ANd what are you going to use it for?

    >> itself
    >> I used to heard it is a great invention.

    >
    > You still have answered the question you've been asked multiple
    > times: what is "it"? What are you asking about?
    >

    It's `pipe'.

  12. Re: If pipe excellent?

    In article , Ronald wrote:

    >pipe


    You still haven't said anything about "pipe" that will even
    remotely allow anybody to help you.

    >I had not recognized that you might not got the title.


    Title? If you mean the subject, then no, nobody "gets" it. Explain
    what you want and we might be able to help.


  13. Re: If pipe excellent?


    写入消息新闻:1166758837.708146@no.spam...
    > In article , Ronald
    > wrote:
    >
    >>pipe

    >
    > You still haven't said anything about "pipe" that will even
    > remotely allow anybody to help you.
    >
    >>I had not recognized that you might not got the title.

    >
    > Title? If you mean the subject, then no, nobody "gets" it. Explain
    > what you want and we might be able to help.
    >


    I would like to know its performance.
    Maybe I should learn its implementation first to know its limitations.



  14. Re: If pipe excellent?

    On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 06:46:28 +0800, Ronald wrote:

    >>>>>>> Does it has an excellent design?
    >>>>>>> Is it effective at speed and memory?
    >>>>>> Is what and for what?
    >>>>> Is it a hack, or an excellent design originally? or both?
    >>>> Is what? ANd what are you going to use it for?
    >>> itself
    >>> I used to heard it is a great invention.

    >>
    >> You still have answered the question you've been asked multiple
    >> times: what is "it"? What are you asking about?
    >>

    > It's `pipe'.


    Ronald,

    I think that your problem is that you haven't realised why the helpful
    folks on here are asking these questions.

    You are being asked what you want to do with the pipe because it is one
    of several ways of communicating data between processes. Different methods
    still exist because each has it's advantages, depending on the way you
    want to use it.

    As an example, shared memory would be a better way of communicating larger
    amounts of data between processes: both shared memory and pipes are good,
    just good at different things.

    Hope this helps,
    John McCallum


  15. Re: If pipe excellent?

    On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 06:46:28 +0800, Ronald wrote:


    >Grant Edwards wrote:
    >> On 2006-12-21, Ronald wrote:
    >>> ellis@no.spam wrote:
    >>>> In article , Ronald wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>>> Does it has an excellent design?
    >>>>>>> Is it effective at speed and memory?
    >>>>>> Is what and for what?
    >>>>> Is it a hack, or an excellent design originally? or both?
    >>>> Is what? ANd what are you going to use it for?
    >>> itself
    >>> I used to heard it is a great invention.

    >>
    >> You still have answered the question you've been asked multiple
    >> times: what is "it"? What are you asking about?
    >>

    >It's `pipe'.


    Try alt.home.repair

  16. Re: If pipe excellent?

    On 2006-12-22, Ronald wrote:

    > I would like to know its performance.


    Its performance is very good.

    > Maybe I should learn its implementation first to know its
    > limitations.


    Maybe you should explain what you want to do with a pipe so that
    somebody could help you decide whether or not a pipe will meet
    your needs.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm having BEAUTIFUL
    at THOUGHTS about the INSIPID
    visi.com WIVES of smug and wealthy
    CORPORATE LAWYERS...

  17. Re: title should be "Is pipe excellent?"

    On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:39:18 +0800 Ronald wrote:
    | Ronald wrote:
    |> Is it has a excellent design?
    |> Is it effective at speed and memory?
    | My English is really poor.

    Your concepts are also poor. The term "pipe" is used for many things
    in the context of Linux development. For example there is a pipe
    feature in shell programs that lets you put "|" between commands to
    pipe the output of one to the input of another. There is a pipe
    function in the POSIX library that lets a program create a pipe to
    work with.

    Which of these concepts are you talking about? Either of these or
    something else? That is why people ask these questions. They are
    trying to understand what you are doing to limit answers to just
    what you need (instead of writing a new Unix book and posting it).

  18. Re: title should be "Is pipe excellent?"

    phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:39:18 +0800 Ronald wrote:
    > | Ronald wrote:
    > |> Is it has a excellent design?
    > |> Is it effective at speed and memory?
    > | My English is really poor.
    >
    > Your concepts are also poor. The term "pipe" is used for many things
    > in the context of Linux development. For example there is a pipe
    > feature in shell programs that lets you put "|" between commands to
    > pipe the output of one to the input of another. There is a pipe
    > function in the POSIX library that lets a program create a pipe to
    > work with.
    >
    > Which of these concepts are you talking about? Either of these or
    > something else? That is why people ask these questions. They are
    > trying to understand what you are doing to limit answers to just
    > what you need (instead of writing a new Unix book and posting it).


    But I think they are the same essentially.
    Maybe the question is too abstract...

  19. Re: title should be "Is pipe excellent?"

    On 2006-12-22, Ronald wrote:

    > But I think they are the same essentially.


    Yes. Pipes are excellent.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! .. my NOSE is NUMB!
    at
    visi.com

  20. Re: If pipe excellent?

    In article ,
    AZ Nomad wrote:

    >>It's `pipe'.


    >Try alt.home.repair


    dammit! You owe me a keyboard!

    --
    http://www.spinics.net/lists/kernel/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast