does anybody know an very old technology called BBS and how to program BBS? - Linux

This is a discussion on does anybody know an very old technology called BBS and how to program BBS? - Linux ; Stuart wrote: > > "CBFalconer" wrote in message > news:4588F09C.9049866F@yahoo.com... > > > I've got a chicken/egg situation here. I have a laptop with Ubuntu > > 6.06 mounted, and no floppy drive, nor network access. I can't get > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34

  1. Re: does anybody know an very old technology called BBS and how toprogram BBS?

    Stuart wrote:

    > "CBFalconer" wrote in message
    >
    > > I've got a chicken/egg situation here. I have a laptop with Ubuntu
    > > 6.06 mounted, and no floppy drive, nor network access. I can't get
    > > network access because I can't find out how to use the internal
    > > modem (a Thinkpad T30) and network here means dial-up. My primary
    > > machine is running W98FE, and can't write CDs. Nor can the USB
    > > system on it access a Gizmo I bought from Crucial for the purpose,
    > > although the T30 can. I can't use a null modem cable because I
    > > can't find a zmodem capable terminal for the T30 (nor even any
    > > terminal).

    > Could you boot your primary machine using an Ubuntu (or any other
    > Linux) Live Disk, copy 'whatever' down onto a, hopefully now working,
    > USB then load the 'whatever' onto your laptop?

    That too is a reasonable idea. In fact I could simply boot it into
    the existing Mandrake 8.0 system, which already talks to the
    modem. If that will talk to the flash I should have it made.

  2. Re: does anybody know an very old technology called BBS and how toprogram BBS?

    stan@worldbadminton.com wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.misc CBFalconer wrote:

    .... snip ...

    >> The laptop can't use windows because I blew it away for insisting
    >> on assent to the impossible EULA, and it has no recovery CD.

    > Perhaps not the most brilliant move. In any case you can most
    > likely get a recovery CD from the manufacturer.

    True. They won't supply a recover CD, but they did send me a
    replacement HD with the original installation. The problem there
    is that I can't get the old HD out by following instructions
    without undue violence. I don't want to crack the plastic into
    small insignificant shards. I don't know where to call the
    co-operative man who sent me the replacement, and am hoping he will
    call to ask why I haven't returned a drive.

  3. Re: does anybody know an very old technology called BBS and how to program BBS?

    CBFalconer wrote
    (in article <4588F09C.9049866F@yahoo.com>):

    > I've got a chicken/egg situation here. I have a laptop with Ubuntu
    > 6.06 mounted, and no floppy drive, nor network access. I can't get
    > network access because I can't find out how to use the internal
    > modem (a Thinkpad T30) and network here means dial-up.

    By this, you mean there is no built-in ethernet port or wireless
    at all? Or, that you just want to get on the internet via modem
    for some reason?

    > My primary machine is running W98FE, and can't write CDs. Nor can the
    > USB system on it access a Gizmo I bought from Crucial for the purpose,
    > although the T30 can.

    Does it even recognize the presence of the USB device /at all/,
    or just not the file system on it? Have you tried reformatting
    it under Win98? I've used USB keys on a boatload of systems
    without difficulty. The only variation in behavior seems to be
    some (broken) platforms don't like it when you try to boot from
    USB.

    > I can't use a null modem cable because I
    > can't find a zmodem capable terminal for the T30 (nor even any
    > terminal).

    I looked through this thread trying to figure out what you're
    actually trying to do, but couldn't find it spelled out, so I'm
    going to guess from the above that you are trying to migrate
    data to this Ubuntu system from your Win/98 box?

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

  4. Re: does anybody know an very old technology called BBS and how toprogram BBS?

    Randy Howard wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote
    >
    >> I've got a chicken/egg situation here. I have a laptop with Ubuntu
    >> 6.06 mounted, and no floppy drive, nor network access. I can't get
    >> network access because I can't find out how to use the internal
    >> modem (a Thinkpad T30) and network here means dial-up.

    > By this, you mean there is no built-in ethernet port or wireless
    > at all? Or, that you just want to get on the internet via modem
    > for some reason?
    >
    >> My primary machine is running W98FE, and can't write CDs. Nor can
    >> the USB system on it access a Gizmo I bought from Crucial for the
    >> purpose, although the T30 can.

    > Does it even recognize the presence of the USB device /at all/,
    > or just not the file system on it? Have you tried reformatting
    > it under Win98? I've used USB keys on a boatload of systems
    > without difficulty. The only variation in behavior seems to be
    > some (broken) platforms don't like it when you try to boot from
    > USB.
    >
    >> I can't use a null modem cable because I
    >> can't find a zmodem capable terminal for the T30 (nor even any
    >> terminal).

    > I looked through this thread trying to figure out what you're
    > actually trying to do, but couldn't find it spelled out, so I'm
    > going to guess from the above that you are trying to migrate
    > data to this Ubuntu system from your Win/98 box?

    Precisely. I have gotten a couple of suggestions that need
    trying. One of which amounts to use the Mandrake 8.0 that I have
    mounted on the Windows box, and I had forgotten about. It may
    recognize and use the flash drive. I know it can access the
    Internet and the Windows files.

  5. Re: does anybody know an very old technology called BBS and how to program BBS?

    CBFalconer wrote
    (in article <458C79C9.D2AFF3BF@yahoo.com>):

    > Randy Howard wrote:
    >> CBFalconer wrote
    >>
    >>> I've got a chicken/egg situation here. I have a laptop with Ubuntu
    >>> 6.06 mounted, and no floppy drive, nor network access. I can't get
    >>> network access because I can't find out how to use the internal
    >>> modem (a Thinkpad T30) and network here means dial-up.

    >> By this, you mean there is no built-in ethernet port or wireless
    >> at all? Or, that you just want to get on the internet via modem
    >> for some reason?
    >>
    >>> My primary machine is running W98FE, and can't write CDs. Nor can
    >>> the USB system on it access a Gizmo I bought from Crucial for the
    >>> purpose, although the T30 can.

    >> Does it even recognize the presence of the USB device /at all/,
    >> or just not the file system on it? Have you tried reformatting
    >> it under Win98? I've used USB keys on a boatload of systems
    >> without difficulty. The only variation in behavior seems to be
    >> some (broken) platforms don't like it when you try to boot from
    >> USB.
    >>
    >>> I can't use a null modem cable because I
    >>> can't find a zmodem capable terminal for the T30 (nor even any
    >>> terminal).

    >> I looked through this thread trying to figure out what you're
    >> actually trying to do, but couldn't find it spelled out, so I'm
    >> going to guess from the above that you are trying to migrate
    >> data to this Ubuntu system from your Win/98 box?

    > Precisely. I have gotten a couple of suggestions that need
    > trying. One of which amounts to use the Mandrake 8.0 that I have
    > mounted on the Windows box, and I had forgotten about. It may
    > recognize and use the flash drive. I know it can access the
    > Internet and the Windows files.

    Simplest might be to just get one of the el cheapo drive
    enclosures that take a standard IDE drive (assuming that's what
    is in your desktop) and connect via USB or firewire. Take the
    drive out of your 98 box temporarily, put it in the enclosure,
    and connect it to the Linux box and mount it directly. Copy all
    of the data over, then put it back in the original chassis.

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

  6. Re: does anybody know an very old technology called BBS and how toprogram BBS?

    Randy Howard wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote
    >> Randy Howard wrote:

    .... snip ...

    >>> I looked through this thread trying to figure out what you're
    >>> actually trying to do, but couldn't find it spelled out, so I'm
    >>> going to guess from the above that you are trying to migrate
    >>> data to this Ubuntu system from your Win/98 box?

    >> Precisely. I have gotten a couple of suggestions that need
    >> trying. One of which amounts to use the Mandrake 8.0 that I have
    >> mounted on the Windows box, and I had forgotten about. It may
    >> recognize and use the flash drive. I know it can access the
    >> Internet and the Windows files.

    > Simplest might be to just get one of the el cheapo drive
    > enclosures that take a standard IDE drive (assuming that's what
    > is in your desktop) and connect via USB or firewire. Take the
    > drive out of your 98 box temporarily, put it in the enclosure,
    > and connect it to the Linux box and mount it directly. Copy all
    > of the data over, then put it back in the original chassis.

    That's another viable suggestion. It has the disadvantage of
    needing new hardware. I think the first thing I will try is the
    Mandrake. These things will wait till after Christmas.

  7. Re: does anybody know an very old technology called BBS and how to

    Here in comp.os.linux.misc,
    CBFalconer spake unto us, saying:

    >I've got a chicken/egg situation here. I have a laptop with Ubuntu
    >6.06 mounted, and no floppy drive, nor network access. I can't get
    >network access because I can't find out how to use the internal
    >modem (a Thinkpad T30) and network here means dial-up. My primary
    >machine is running W98FE, and can't write CDs. Nor can the USB
    >system on it access a Gizmo I bought from Crucial for the purpose,
    >although the T30 can. I can't use a null modem cable because I
    >can't find a zmodem capable terminal for the T30 (nor even any
    >terminal).

    I used to have a firewall box set up even back in the dial-up days to
    solve problems like this. I would use the external USR HST/DS modem on
    my firewall to connect to my ISP, I'd use IP Masqerading on that box to
    allow access to the other boxes in my LAN, and I'd use ethernet+TCP/IP
    on all of the other boxes to access the internet.

    That would allow any box to get access to the net as long as I could
    get its network card to work -- very helpful for laptops with strange
    modem hardware. It also provides an additional level of protection for
    boxes running Windows variants (no direct exposure to the net).

    That might be overkill in your situation unless you have an old box
    with a working modem lying around...

    >If I could find and install such things as Ztelnet or mTelnet I
    >might be able to break the impasse. Even xxmodem.

    mTelnet only has Windows and OS/2 versions that I'm aware of. Ztelnet
    has a Linux version, but it's something I haven't used for a while, and
    I don't remember if it used to be on the installation CDs of any of the
    distros I used.

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  8. Re: does anybody know an very old technology called BBS and how to program BBS?

    On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:15:29 -0600, CBFalconer wrote
    (in article <458CAD61.F9FBE129@yahoo.com>):

    > Randy Howard wrote:
    >> CBFalconer wrote
    >>> Randy Howard wrote:
    >>>

    > ... snip ...

    >>> Precisely. I have gotten a couple of suggestions that need
    >>> trying. One of which amounts to use the Mandrake 8.0 that I have
    >>> mounted on the Windows box, and I had forgotten about. It may
    >>> recognize and use the flash drive. I know it can access the
    >>> Internet and the Windows files.

    >> Simplest might be to just get one of the el cheapo drive
    >> enclosures that take a standard IDE drive (assuming that's what
    >> is in your desktop) and connect via USB or firewire. Take the
    >> drive out of your 98 box temporarily, put it in the enclosure,
    >> and connect it to the Linux box and mount it directly. Copy all
    >> of the data over, then put it back in the original chassis.

    > That's another viable suggestion. It has the disadvantage of
    > needing new hardware.

    Given that you are using a notebook which apparently is one of
    the last in the universe without a network adapter of any kind,
    new hardware might not be such a bad thing. :-)

    --
    Lefty
    All of God's creatures have a place..........

  9. Re: does anybody know an very old technology called BBS and how to

    On 2006-12-23, Richard Steiner wrote:

    >>If I could find and install such things as Ztelnet or mTelnet I
    >>might be able to break the impasse. Even xxmodem.

    > mTelnet only has Windows and OS/2 versions that I'm aware of. Ztelnet
    > has a Linux version, but it's something I haven't used for a while, and
    > I don't remember if it used to be on the installation CDs of any of the
    > distros I used.

    modemu+minicom may be another option.

    Bye.
    Jasen

  10. Re: does anybody know an very old technology called BBS and how to

    Here in comp.os.linux.misc, jasen
    spake unto us, saying:

    >On 2006-12-23, Richard Steiner wrote:
    >
    >> mTelnet only has Windows and OS/2 versions that I'm aware of. Ztelnet
    >> has a Linux version, but it's something I haven't used for a while, and
    >> I don't remember if it used to be on the installation CDs of any of the
    >> distros I used.

    >modemu+minicom may be another option.

    Ah... A Linux answer to SIO's Vmodem virtual modem driver for OS/2
    (which provides a Hayes-compatible virtual modem interface to telnet
    for serial-port-based comm programs, etc.).

    Excellent!

    Can modemu be used in conjunction with DOSEMU to allow DOS comm progs
    like Telemate or Telix to be used as a telnet client? That would be
    awesome! :-)

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  11. Re: does anybody know an very old technology called BBS and how to program BBS?

    In comp.os.linux.misc Lefty Bigfoot wrote:
    : On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:15:29 -0600, CBFalconer wrote
    : (in article <458CAD61.F9FBE129@yahoo.com>):

    : Given that you are using a notebook which apparently is one of
    : the last in the universe without a network adapter of any kind,
    : new hardware might not be such a bad thing. :-)

    The T30 has onboard NIC. Unless OP managed to somehow get one
    without this he can use ethernet.

    Stan

    : --
    : Lefty
    : All of God's creatures have a place..........
    : .........right next to the potatoes and gravy.
    : See also: http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/images/iProduct.gif

    --
    Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
    www.worldbadminton.com

  12. Re: does anybody know an very old technology called BBS and how to program BBS?

    On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 12:29:06 -0600, stan@worldbadminton.com
    wrote
    (in article <1166984021.211254@newsreg.cos.agilent.com>):

    > In comp.os.linux.misc Lefty Bigfoot wrote:
    >> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:15:29 -0600, CBFalconer wrote
    >> (in article <458CAD61.F9FBE129@yahoo.com>):

    >> Given that you are using a notebook which apparently is one of
    >> the last in the universe without a network adapter of any kind,
    >> new hardware might not be such a bad thing. :-)

    > The T30 has onboard NIC. Unless OP managed to somehow get one
    > without this he can use ethernet.

    Then why is he wasting everyone's time driving down a blind
    alley?

    --
    Lefty
    All of God's creatures have a place..........
    ..........right next to the potatoes and gravy.
    See also: http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/images/iProduct.gif

  13. Re: does anybody know an very old technology called BBS and how to

    On 2006-12-24, Richard Steiner wrote:
    > Here in comp.os.linux.misc, jasen
    > spake unto us, saying:
    >
    >>On 2006-12-23, Richard Steiner wrote:
    >>
    >>> mTelnet only has Windows and OS/2 versions that I'm aware of. Ztelnet
    >>> has a Linux version, but it's something I haven't used for a while, and
    >>> I don't remember if it used to be on the installation CDs of any of the
    >>> distros I used.

    >>modemu+minicom may be another option.

    > Ah... A Linux answer to SIO's Vmodem virtual modem driver for OS/2
    > (which provides a Hayes-compatible virtual modem interface to telnet
    > for serial-port-based comm programs, etc.).
    >
    > Excellent!

    > Can modemu be used in conjunction with DOSEMU to allow DOS comm progs
    > like Telemate or Telix to be used as a telnet client? That would be
    > awesome! :-)

    It should work... I guess it depends to some extent on which IOCTLs dosemu
    uses and which modemu supports.

    Bye.
    Jasen

  14. Re: does anybody know an very old technology called BBS and how toprogram BBS?

    stan@worldbadminton.com wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.misc Lefty Bigfoot wrote:
    > : On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:15:29 -0600, CBFalconer wrote
    >
    > : Given that you are using a notebook which apparently is one of
    > : the last in the universe without a network adapter of any kind,
    > : new hardware might not be such a bad thing. :-)
    >
    > The T30 has onboard NIC. Unless OP managed to somehow get one
    > without this he can use ethernet.

    The other end (the W98 system) doesn't have an ethernet connection
    so far.

    Joyeux Noel, Bonne Annee.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2