Executable file compiled elsewhere - Linux

This is a discussion on Executable file compiled elsewhere - Linux ; I want to run a C program on a server were I dont have access to the compiler. Is it possible to compile the code on my local Linux and then upload the executable to the server?? Would that works?? ...

  1. Executable file compiled elsewhere

    I want to run a C program on a server were I dont have access to the
    compiler.

    Is it possible to compile the code on my local Linux and then upload
    the executable to the server??

    Would that works??

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Executable file compiled elsewhere

    On 15 Dec 2006 16:45:47 -0800, Hermann wrote:

    > Would that works??

    Yes, as long as the server has the shared libraries your program needs
    and is the same architecture (i386, PowerPC, SPARC, etc) as your box.

    --
    -| Bob Hauck
    -| Hooray for San Fancisco values!

  3. Re: Executable file compiled elsewhere

    Bob Hauck writes:

    > On 15 Dec 2006 16:45:47 -0800, Hermann wrote:
    >
    >> Would that works??

    > Yes, as long as the server has the shared libraries your program needs

    And has them with the same or newer version.
    E.g. compile on RH-9, run on RHEL-3 or 4 -- will work fine.
    Compile on RHEL-4, run on RH-9 -- will most likely *not* work.

    Cheers,
    Remove /-nsp/ for email.

+ Reply to Thread