streams and multiplexing - Linux

This is a discussion on streams and multiplexing - Linux ; I'm reading an old SystemV r3.2 "Streams Programmers Guide." Great stuff, especially on multiplexing. So I dug into my linux books and found that linux has no streams subsystem. Then an internet search, and found there are patches to implement ...

  1. streams and multiplexing

    I'm reading an old SystemV r3.2 "Streams Programmers Guide." Great
    stuff, especially on multiplexing.

    So I dug into my linux books and found that linux has no streams
    subsystem. Then an internet search, and found there are patches to
    implement streams into the kernel. Then looked at the libc docs and the
    word streams is used in a more limited sense. Very confusing.

    It seems linux has streams, but not user programmable. Some kernel and
    driver experts are opposed to a streams subsystem.

    Is there anything like the streams multiplexing environment in linux ??
    I'm aware of the pseudoterminal clone multiplexor.

    Thanks,
    Rick

  2. Re: streams and multiplexing

    Hiya,

    > I'm reading an old SystemV r3.2 "Streams Programmers Guide." Great
    > stuff, especially on multiplexing.
    >
    > So I dug into my linux books and found that linux has no streams
    > subsystem. Then an internet search, and found there are patches to
    > implement streams into the kernel. Then looked at the libc docs and the
    > word streams is used in a more limited sense. Very confusing.

    We have used LiS, which is a Svr4 compatible Streams implementation for
    Linux. Not mainline Linux, but usable. Unfortunately, from the sounds of
    it not quite what you are looking for.

    If you do want to have a look, the website is here:

    http://www.gcom.com/linux/lis/

    Cheers,
    John McCallum
    Artesyn CP

  3. Re: streams and multiplexing

    RickE wrote:
    > It seems linux has streams, but not user programmable.

    Not sure what you mean by that. The Streams stack is, necessarily,
    in the kernel as non-Streams protocols stacks. But it's services are
    used by user-level programs.

    John McCallum wrote:
    > We have used LiS, which is a Svr4 compatible Streams implementation for
    > Linux. Not mainline Linux, but usable. Unfortunately, from the sounds of
    > it not quite what you are looking for.
    >
    > If you do want to have a look, the website is here:
    >
    > http://www.gcom.com/linux/lis/

    LiS is now hosted at lis.wanware.com. The GCom link still works, but
    you can no longer download from there.

    Regards,
    Steve

  4. Re: streams and multiplexing

    Thank you. Yes, I saw LiS in several searches.

    I'm trying to adapt the old Bellcore MGR program for windowing on Linux
    framebuffer displays. I'm using freepascal. The multiplexing is simple
    text streams. MGR uses pseudo terminals.

    It used to be easier patching and compiling a kernel.

    Thanks again,
    Rick.

+ Reply to Thread