su setgid: Operation not permitted - Linux

This is a discussion on su setgid: Operation not permitted - Linux ; Hi all, As I wanted to give 0777 permission for /home/test directory, I want to execute "chmod -R 0777 /home/test", but I mistakenly executed "chmod -R 0777 /". Due to this entire file system permission got changed to 0777. Now ...

  1. su setgid: Operation not permitted

    Hi all,

    As I wanted to give 0777 permission for /home/test directory, I want to
    execute "chmod -R 0777 /home/test", but I mistakenly executed "chmod -R
    0777 /". Due to this entire file system permission got changed to 0777.

    Now I am not able to execute su, which gives me error as "setgid:
    Operation not permitted". It seems to be I have created a serious
    problem. Can anyone please help me to solve this problem?

  2. Re: su setgid: Operation not permitted

    Hari wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > As I wanted to give 0777 permission for /home/test directory, I want to
    > execute "chmod -R 0777 /home/test", but I mistakenly executed "chmod -R
    > 0777 /". Due to this entire file system permission got changed to 0777.
    >

    > Now I am not able to execute su, which gives me error as "setgid:
    > Operation not permitted". It seems to be I have created a serious
    > problem. Can anyone please help me to solve this problem?

    You're pretty well screwed. You've lost all the setuid bits and others.
    You have 2 choices, either spend the next week trying to get all the
    perms on the system back to what they are supposed to be or wipe and
    reinstall.

  3. Re: su setgid: Operation not permitted

    Hari wrote:

    > As I wanted to give 0777 permission for /home/test directory, I want to
    > execute "chmod -R 0777 /home/test", but I mistakenly executed "chmod -R
    > 0777 /". Due to this entire file system permission got changed to 0777.

    Why did you execute, as root, a command that does not require root
    privileges?

    Sorry, you are screwed. Either restore from your last backup or, better
    yet, make a dump of the file names and privileges of your last backup
    and restore just the permission bits.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread