32/64 bit computation mode - Linux

This is a discussion on 32/64 bit computation mode - Linux ; Hi, I was reading this stuff from a website : Multiprocess operating systems (for example Linux®) can switch between application programs running in 32-bit computation mode using a 32-bit ABI and programs running in 64-bit computation mode using the 64-bit ...

  1. 32/64 bit computation mode

    Hi,
    I was reading this stuff from a website :
    Multiprocess operating systems (for example Linux®) can switch between application
    programs running in 32-bit computation mode using a 32-bit ABI and programs running
    in 64-bit computation mode using the 64-bit ABI. In order to support both the 32-
    and 64-bit computation mode application programs, the operating system itself must
    execute in 64-bit computation mode and must have the ability to load multiple
    executable files.

    Single-process operating systems such as VxWorks can only execute application programs
    using a single ABI.

    What would single/multi process mean in this context.
    The architecture supports both 64 & 32 bit addressing and we have a biarch toolchain
    that makes things possible.

    Waiting for your comments.

    -Thanks

  2. Re: 32/64 bit computation mode

    666 wrote:

    > I was reading this stuff from a website :
    > Multiprocess operating systems (for example Linux®) can switch between application
    >programs running in 32-bit computation mode using a 32-bit ABI and programs running
    >in 64-bit computation mode using the 64-bit ABI. In order to support both the 32-
    >and 64-bit computation mode application programs, the operating system itself must
    >execute in 64-bit computation mode and must have the ability to load multiple
    >executable files.
    >
    >Single-process operating systems such as VxWorks can only execute application programs
    >using a single ABI.
    >
    >What would single/multi process mean in this context.

    Linux and Windows can run a number of programs at the same time, switching
    time between them.

    Many embedded operating systems, on the other hand, are designed to load a
    single program at boot time, and run that program forever. That's a
    perfect solution for something like a television set-top box, or a
    processor in a car, or a processor in an air conditioning system, where you
    don't need the extra overhead of supporting a lot of processes.

    However, I think the example is a poor one. VxWorks is multitasking and
    multiprocess. A better example might be pSOS.
    --
    Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

  3. Re: 32/64 bit computation mode

    666 wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I was reading this stuff from a website :
    > Multiprocess operating systems (for example Linux®) can switch between
    > application
    > programs running in 32-bit computation mode using a 32-bit ABI and
    > programs running
    > in 64-bit computation mode using the 64-bit ABI. In order to support
    > both the 32-
    > and 64-bit computation mode application programs, the operating system
    > itself must
    > execute in 64-bit computation mode and must have the ability to load
    > multiple
    > executable files.
    >
    > Single-process operating systems such as VxWorks can only execute
    > application programs
    > using a single ABI.
    >
    > What would single/multi process mean in this context.

    I guess it means what it says: single process means only a single ABI
    (32 or 64 bits) while multi process means more than one ABI (32 _and_
    64), a poor choice, as Tim has pointed out.

    The issue is that the operating system has to provide two (virtual
    machine) architectures for user processes: 32 and 64 bit, i.e. it has to
    provide 32 _and_ 64 bit virtual memory architectures and it has to be
    able to communicate with 32 _and_ 64 bit processes (getting parameters
    from different register sets, copying to different virtual memories,
    handling executables for both architectures, to name but a very few issues.

    --
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
    -- T. Pratchett

  4. Re: 32/64 bit computation mode

    In article <09ksn29n0pa7hebjkas7o9aj5qputq3c12@4ax.com>,
    Tim Roberts wrote:

    >VxWorks is multitasking and multiprocess.

    And that relates to linux how?

  5. Re: 32/64 bit computation mode

    In article <6a8654-epq.ln1@don.localnet>,
    Bill Marcum wrote:

    >It relates to the previous message in the thread.

    Sorry, I realized that a little late and canceled my post.

+ Reply to Thread