[News] [Rival] Microsoft <strikeout>Produces</strikeout> Devours INNOVA~1 Software - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft <strikeout>Produces</strikeout> Devours INNOVA~1 Software - Linux ; Microsoft acquires shopping comparison tentacle ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft has reheated a market many web watchers had assumed a busted flush | with the acquisition of Jellyfish.com, the bastard child of a shopping | comparison site and QVC. `---- ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft <strikeout>Produces</strikeout> Devours INNOVA~1 Software

    Microsoft acquires shopping comparison tentacle

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft has reheated a market many web watchers had assumed a busted flush
    | with the acquisition of Jellyfish.com, the bastard child of a shopping
    | comparison site and QVC.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10...oft_jellyfish/

    Microsoft's Ballmer Plays Down 'Faddish' Facebook, Plays Up Ad-Supported
    Software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Software: Ballmer also made stronger noises about moving from pay-for to
    | ad-supported software.
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/paidcontent/071...6_id.html?.v=1

    Related:

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Asked about these problems, Arno Edelmann, Microsoft's European business
    | security product manager, told ZDNet UK on Thursday that the code itself
    | has pieces missing.
    | "Usually Microsoft doesn't develop products, we buy products. It's not a bad
    | product, but bits and pieces are missing," said Edelmann.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1...9286351,00.htm

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft <strikeout>Produces</strikeout> DevoursINNOVA~1 Software

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Microsoft acquires shopping comparison tentacle

    > ,----[ Quote ]

    > | Asked about these problems, Arno Edelmann, Microsoft's European
    > | business security product manager, told ZDNet UK on Thursday that
    > | the code itself has pieces missing.
    > | "Usually Microsoft doesn't develop products, we buy products. It's not
    > | a bad product, but bits and pieces are missing," said Edelmann.
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1...9286351,00.htm

    I found these statements interesting:

    Security vendor Kaspersky said that it was not acceptable for two Microsoft
    products such as OneCare and Exchange 2007 to be incompatible,
    especially as Microsoft has market dominance.

    "Microsoft, welcome to our business," said Eugene Kaspersky, the founder of
    the company. "All in all it's a bad thing. It's not acceptable for
    Microsoft products to do that. Microsoft dominates the market. If they do
    that it creates a big noise, many affected people, and happy lawyers."
    Interesting is Microsoft products being incompatible with each other.
    There is a simple solution to the problem. Install Linux, ensure security
    policies are adhered to, have fun.

    --
    HPT

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft <strikeout>Produces</strikeout> Devours INNOVA~1 Software

    ____/ High Plains Thumper on Wednesday 03 October 2007 12:58 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Microsoft acquires shopping comparison tentacle

    >> ,----[ Quote ]

    >> | Asked about these problems, Arno Edelmann, Microsoft's European
    >> | business security product manager, told ZDNet UK on Thursday that
    >> | the code itself has pieces missing.
    >> | "Usually Microsoft doesn't develop products, we buy products. It's not
    >> | a bad product, but bits and pieces are missing," said Edelmann.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1...9286351,00.htm

    > I found these statements interesting:
    >

    > Security vendor Kaspersky said that it was not acceptable for two Microsoft
    > products — such as OneCare and Exchange 2007 — to be incompatible,
    > especially as Microsoft has market dominance.
    >
    > "Microsoft, welcome to our business," said Eugene Kaspersky, the founder of
    > the company. "All in all it's a bad thing. It's not acceptable for
    > Microsoft products to do that. Microsoft dominates the market. If they do
    > that it creates a big noise, many affected people, and happy lawyers."
    >

    > Interesting is Microsoft products being incompatible with each other.
    > There is a simple solution to the problem. Install Linux, ensure security
    > policies are adhered to, have fun.

    Vista and Zune were also incompatible. The same goes for SQL Server. Then
    again, Vista and MSO07 are embarrassments. Longhorn (Server 2008) will be the
    next flop. Wait and watch.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Life is too short to proofread"

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft <strikeout>Produces</strikeout> DevoursINNOVA~1 Software

    > ____/ High Plains Thumper on Wednesday 03 October 2007 12:58 : \____
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >>> `----

    I.e. the bits and pieces needed to weld it on to their own /products/
    are missing. It worked perfectly well /before/ they assimilated it. Or
    IOW, if they're going to base they're entire business model on
    harvesting other's technology, they need to start buying some clues as
    well.

    >> Interesting is Microsoft products being incompatible with each
    >> other.

    [...]
    > Vista and Zune were also incompatible.

    Like OneCare (i.e. GeCAD RAV), the Zune was also a rebadged product
    (Toshiba Gigabeat).

    Buying Microsoft products is like shopping at a Taiwanese flea market.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    14:39:23 up 55 days, 13:34, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.03, 0.00

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft <strikeout>Produces</strikeout> Devours INNOVA~1 Software

    Except, Taiwanese flea market products don't come with vendor lockin,
    a Big Daddy up there rummaging in your system, and etc etc.

    Cheers -- Martha Adams [cola 2007 Oct 3]

    "[H]omer" wrote in message
    >> ____/ High Plains Thumper on Wednesday 03 October 2007 12:58 : \____
    >>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Buying Microsoft products is like shopping at a Taiwanese flea market.

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft <strikeout>Produces</strikeout> DevoursINNOVA~1 Software

    [H]omer wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
    >> High Plains Thumper on Wednesday:

    > I.e. the bits and pieces needed to weld it on to their own /products/
    > are missing. It worked perfectly well /before/ they assimilated it. Or
    > IOW, if they're going to base they're entire business model on
    > harvesting other's technology, they need to start buying some clues as
    > well.

    They are a for profit only entity, IMHO. They will only do what is
    necessary to gain a return. Additional investment into making things work
    (remember how Windows 98 was never fixed - continued to crash) is not a
    goal, unless it affects their market share.

    >>> Interesting is Microsoft products being incompatible with each
    >>> other.

    > [...]
    >> Vista and Zune were also incompatible.

    > Like OneCare (i.e. GeCAD RAV), the Zune was also a rebadged product
    > (Toshiba Gigabeat).
    >
    > Buying Microsoft products is like shopping at a Taiwanese flea market.

    Except that Taiwan sells real products, not licenses and one can find true
    bargains. :-)

    --
    HPT

+ Reply to Thread