[News] Microsoft Has Just Announced 'Internet Services'... They Seem to be Distributed - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft Has Just Announced 'Internet Services'... They Seem to be Distributed - Linux ; F-Secure sees smaller botnets on the rise ,----[ Quote ] | Computers infected with a virus unknowingly become "zombies" in a | botnet--which is a network used to send out spam and to mount further attacks | on other machines. ...

  1. [News] Microsoft Has Just Announced 'Internet Services'... They Seem to be Distributed

    F-Secure sees smaller botnets on the rise

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Computers infected with a virus unknowingly become "zombies" in a
    | botnet--which is a network used to send out spam and to mount further attacks
    | on other machines. The zombie army can be controlled remotely,
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6210900.html

    Online videos may be conduits for viruses

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Among their biggest foes are the ever-changing vehicles that hackers use to
    | deliver "malware," which can silently install viruses, probe for confidential
    | info or even hijack a computer.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071002/.../cybersecurity

    Services indeed. For criminals. Microsoft seems to be making a lot of noise
    about a new Zune and plenty of new Web services that nobody uses.

    Related:

    Microsoft is the world's biggest cause of zombie remailers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In China, it would take about one and one-half years wages (for the
    | average Chinese) to buy a legitimate copy of Windows Vista. If you
    | could find it here.
    |
    | Microsoft is the biggest cause of zombie remailers in the world,
    | because they make noises, but do not do anything to address the
    | real digital inequities in the world.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft Has Just Announced 'Internet Services'... They Seem to be Distributed

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > F-Secure sees smaller botnets on the rise
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Computers infected with a virus unknowingly become "zombies" in a
    > | botnet--which is a network used to send out spam and to mount further
    > | attacks on other machines. The zombie army can be controlled remotely,
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6210900.html

    20% of all windopws PCs are infected requiring billions of man hours
    to clean up the micoshaft mess.

    The world does not have billions of man hours to clean up
    the micoshaft mess. It needs to impose a software tax on Micoshaft
    for the mess it created and give that tax to open source
    companies to make more open source IT available for more people.
    so they can switch to cleaner technologies.

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft Has Just Announced 'Internet Services'... TheySeem to be Distributed

    > Online videos may be conduits for viruses

    [...]
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071002/.../cybersecurity

    What they fail to mention, is that this problem is unique to Windows
    Media (AFAIK), and is a result of the way it handles DRM licences,
    downloading them on demand. This has been exploited by Malware writers
    to produce Windows Media files that essentially cause WMP to download
    /Malware/ "on demand". Ironic, isn't it?

    Another reason to avoid Windows Media.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    01:25:54 up 56 days, 20 min, 3 users, load average: 0.01, 0.19, 0.12

+ Reply to Thread