[News] [Rival] Microsoft Squeezes the Goose in the UK and Elsewhere (Desperate for Revenue?) - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft Squeezes the Goose in the UK and Elsewhere (Desperate for Revenue?) - Linux ; [Bear in mind that Microsoft has admitted that it relies on piracy] Microsoft UK cracks another head over grey software ,----[ Quote ] | Wardell said Microsoft's piracy crackdown in the UK, dubbed "Keep IT Real," | (did they pirate ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Squeezes the Goose in the UK and Elsewhere (Desperate for Revenue?)

    [Bear in mind that Microsoft has admitted that it relies on piracy]

    Microsoft UK cracks another head over grey software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Wardell said Microsoft's piracy crackdown in the UK, dubbed "Keep IT Real,"
    | (did they pirate our slogan?) has noticed that grey software is becoming a
    | serious issue which has a "detrimental effect" on the channel.
    `----

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...ftware_vendor/

    Microsoft's 'Get Legal' Program

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is providing businesses with unlicensed software—and the partners
    | supporting them—a new option to purchase Windows XP. Yeah, Windows XP.
    `----

    Even Microsoft avoids Vista.

    Related:

    Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
    | software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
    | Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
    |
    | Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
    | *
    | * "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
    | * people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
    | * As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
    | * They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
    | * collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
    `----

    http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/...t_billion.html

    Microsoft Happy with the Evolution of Windows Vista Piracy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But the truth is that Microsoft is happy with the way Windows Vista
    | piracy is evolving. Is there a catch to this? No. The fact of the
    | matter is that Windows Vista has delivered a heavy blow to
    | software counterfeiters. The reason for this is the new Windows
    | Genuine Advantage security mechanism integrated into the
    | operating system.
    |
    | You may not notice this on the surface. On the surface, the
    | Internet is crawling with Windows Vista cracks, hacks and
    | workarounds. On the surface, every Windows Vista edition has
    | been cracked and is available for download via peer-to-peer
    | networks. But this is not the true extent of Windows Vista piracy.
    `----

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micro...cy-50577.shtml

    Chinese attitude on buying Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I've mentioned above,the price of Vista is higher than RMB2000 (about
    | USD257) may not shake users in developed countries, but do you know it
    | is equal to the average monthly salary in China's economic center
    | Shanghai!So please take this fact into consideration before
    | criticize our behavior of buying pirate softwares.
    |
    | recent survey of public opinion from China's portal NetEase shows that 81%
    | of netizens think Microsoft is forcing them to use pirate Vista...
    `----

    http://ya.iyee.cn/2007/02/chinese-at...ing-vista.html

    Why Piracy Hurts Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "...John looks at this from a different direction. He shows you why
    | software piracy hurts Open Source software--the free stuff you are using."
    `----

    http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000266

    Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now comes the really interesting question. With Vista's activation
    | technology, Microsoft has the power to stamp out piracy everywhere. But
    | will it choose to do so everywhere? After all, if folks in China or
    | Thailand or Ethiopia have to pay for Vista, they won't be able to run
    | it because they won't be able to afford the licence fee. In which case
    | they may finally wake up to the attractions of free software such as
    | Linux - and it's easy to imagine what that will do to Microsoft's
    | plans for world domination.
    |
    | It's a delicious prospect: Microsoft impaling itself on the horns
    | of a dilemma it has created for itself. Roll on Thursday.
    `----

    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/busin...956941,00.html

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Squeezes the Goose in the UK and Elsewhere (Desperate for Revenue?)

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > [Bear in mind that Microsoft has admitted that it relies on piracy]
    >
    > Microsoft UK cracks another head over grey software
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Wardell said Microsoft's piracy crackdown in the UK, dubbed "Keep IT
    > | Real," (did they pirate our slogan?) has noticed that grey software is
    > | becoming a serious issue which has a "detrimental effect" on the
    > | channel.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/10/02

    microsoft_uk_nabs_grey_market_software_vendor/

    > Microsoft's 'Get Legal' Program
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Microsoft is providing businesses with unlicensed software?and the
    > | partners supporting them?a new option to purchase Windows XP. Yeah,
    > | Windows XP.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...rating_systems

    microsofts_get_legal_program.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1 K0000535

    > Even Microsoft avoids Vista.

    The only way of getting legal and even with micoshaft corporation
    is switch to Open Source and Linux and drop their products
    like a ton of bricks.

    http://www.ubuntu.com
    http://www.openoffice.org

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Squeezes the Goose in the UK and Elsewhere (Desperate for Revenue?)

    ____/ 7 on Wednesday 03 October 2007 22:03 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> [Bear in mind that Microsoft has admitted that it relies on piracy]
    >>
    >> Microsoft UK cracks another head over grey software
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Wardell said Microsoft's piracy crackdown in the UK, dubbed "Keep IT
    >> | Real," (did they pirate our slogan?) has noticed that grey software is
    >> | becoming a serious issue which has a "detrimental effect" on the
    >> | channel.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/10/02

    > microsoft_uk_nabs_grey_market_software_vendor/
    >>
    >> Microsoft's 'Get Legal' Program
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Microsoft is providing businesses with unlicensed software?and the
    >> | partners supporting them?a new option to purchase Windows XP. Yeah,
    >> | Windows XP.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...rating_systems

    > microsofts_get_legal_program.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1 K0000535
    >>
    >> Even Microsoft avoids Vista.

    > The only way of getting legal and even with micoshaft corporation
    > is switch to Open Source and Linux and drop their products
    > like a ton of bricks.
    >
    > http://www.ubuntu.com
    > http://www.openoffice.org
    >
    > http://www.livecdlist.com
    > http://www.distrowatch.com

    The best site for Microsoft software 'patches'.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Open minds, open source
    Mem: 515500k total, 444716k used, 70784k free, 1804k buffers