Why does Roy Schestowitz list Windows and Visual Basic skills on his resume? - Linux

This is a discussion on Why does Roy Schestowitz list Windows and Visual Basic skills on his resume? - Linux ; http://schestowitz.com/roy/ .... but tells everyone to boycott Novell because they made a business deal with Microsoft ("Do not Buy, Use, Host or Recommend Novell or SUSE products or services")? http://boycottnovell.com/about/ Is he just that ignorant and hypocritical and greedy (willing ...

  1. Why does Roy Schestowitz list Windows and Visual Basic skills on his resume?

    http://schestowitz.com/roy/

    .... but tells everyone to boycott Novell because they made a business deal
    with Microsoft ("Do not Buy, Use, Host or Recommend Novell or SUSE products
    or services")? http://boycottnovell.com/about/

    Is he just that ignorant and hypocritical and greedy (willing to take a
    Windows job if the money is right)? Yes he is.

  2. Re: Why does Roy Schestowitz list Windows and Visual Basic skills on his resume?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > But look at those apps. Ugh.
    >
    > For instance, static screen capture utilities: Windows has SnagIt
    > http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp (I use it often), MacOS has
    > Snapz ProX http://ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/, and Linux has KDE
    > KSnapshot or gnome-screenshot.

    And GIMP (doesn't cost $40 or $70 per single-user license, either).

    You can also use import (from the ImageMagick package) to capture
    windows or portions of the screen from the command-line.

    And there are a lot more OSS options out there, including scripting to
    combine applications.

    > You have to pay for SnagIt and Snapz Pro, but not for KSnapshot... and you
    > definitely get what you pay for.

    You wasted your money, dude. Hell, you could simply hit
    Shfit-Print-Screen and get most of what you need pasting it into Paint
    or some other image editor.

    > Speak for yourself and your band of merry men, 'cause the world is most
    > definitely not moving on to Linux.

    Actually, the tech world seems to be moving on to Linux.

    Who cares, though, if a large number of people don't want to use it, as
    long as those who do want to, can.

    Those who want to pay good money for stock functionality still have that
    option.

    While you're tossing money around, flick a couple of Benjamins my way.

    --
    Tux rox!

  3. Re: Why does Roy Schestowitz list Windows and Visual Basic skills on his resume?

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > Good grief, don't you have anything better to do? What difference
    > does it make if he does or does not use Windows? And picking over his
    > old CVs? What a pathetic way to spend your time.

    It can't be any worse than you finding an anti-MS article somewhere and
    posting it to a newsgroup supposedly dedicated to promoting the Linux
    operating system.

    Can it?

  4. Re: Why does Roy Schestowitz list Windows and Visual Basic skills on his resume?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> Even if it is, by some measure, better, so what?
    >> The fact is you /don't need it/ to do the work.

    > But why use a crappy solution like Gimp when SnagIt is a specialized tool
    > for capturing and altering screenshots?

    Give it up. You're not winning this one.

    > Oh well, you can continue to live in ignorance and do it the hard way and
    > produce lesser documentation. It's your loss.

    You have no basis for that statement.

    >> And you then have an extra $40 to invest in a 512Mb RAM stick,
    >> which will improve your productivity more than SnagIt will.

    > Not even close.
    >
    >>> Windows wins. Again.

    >> SnagIt != Windows.

    > SnagIt helps Windows win. Again.

    You're tiresome. And you sound stupid here, too.

    --
    Tux rox!

  5. Re: Why does Roy Schestowitz list Windows and Visual Basic skills on his resume?

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > Offhand, looks like we've got maybe 40% or so of SnagIt
    > covered, although not neatly packaged by a long shot.
    > Another 10% might be packaged if one is an expert (and if
    > one is not...good luck; you'll need it!). Another 30%
    > would probably be covered by a competent paint program
    > such as GIMP.

    It's shareware, so you can download it and try it for 30 days. Then all the
    mystery will be gone.

    >> But why use a crappy solution like Gimp when SnagIt is a specialized
    >> tool for capturing and altering screenshots?

    > And GIMP is crappy precisely...why? Because you say so?

    I didn't mean to say GIMP was altogether crappy - just that it's not the
    correct/specialized tool for screen capture work.

    > And SnagIt, by helping Windows, helps Microsoft. Again.

    Yep. But MS is dying, with one foot in the grave as we speak, and a few
    SnagIt sales won't help.

  6. Re: Why does Roy Schestowitz list Windows and Visual Basic skills on his resume?

    Linonut wrote:

    >> But why use a crappy solution like Gimp when SnagIt is a specialized
    >> tool for capturing and altering screenshots?

    > Give it up. You're not winning this one.

    I think that some Wintards are under the delusion that they personally
    will come-out ahead buy spending $hundreds on proprietary software, since
    it will help M$ stock, and hence the value of their personal 401k, go up.

    I've got news for you Windolts: No way no how will you make-back all
    those nice after-tax dollars that you are spending. Not even close.

  7. Re: Why does Roy Schestowitz list Windows and Visual Basic skills on his resume?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Thu, 4 Oct 2007 22:18:18 -0400
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> Offhand, looks like we've got maybe 40% or so of SnagIt
    >> covered, although not neatly packaged by a long shot.
    >> Another 10% might be packaged if one is an expert (and if
    >> one is not...good luck; you'll need it!). Another 30%
    >> would probably be covered by a competent paint program
    >> such as GIMP.

    > It's shareware, so you can download it and try it for 30 days. Then all the
    > mystery will be gone.

    I don't run Windows. Oh, the horror, to be denied the
    rights of running SnagIt Software because I have the
    wrong OS!

    >>> But why use a crappy solution like Gimp when SnagIt is a specialized
    >>> tool for capturing and altering screenshots?

    >> And GIMP is crappy precisely...why? Because you say so?

    > I didn't mean to say GIMP was altogether crappy - just that it's not the
    > correct/specialized tool for screen capture work.

    And SnagIt is? SnagIt looks like a multipurpose tool anyway.
    Might be useful to somebody; not sure it meets my needs,
    which are already satisfied by GIMP anyway; capture,
    crop, plop is about the extent thereof.

    >> And SnagIt, by helping Windows, helps Microsoft. Again.

    > Yep. But MS is dying, with one foot in the grave as we speak, and a few
    > SnagIt sales won't help.

    Migawd. And here I thought you were "Microsoft forever"!
    What's happened to you? ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of
    elderberries!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail