iso image - Linux

This is a discussion on iso image - Linux ; I have an ancient linux that I want to run on a modern linux host. It's an old Caldera with a 2.2 kernel. I want to change the directory to an iso image and mount some device to operate it. ...

  1. iso image

    I have an ancient linux that I want to run on a modern linux host. It's
    an old Caldera with a 2.2 kernel. I want to change the directory to an iso
    image and mount some device to operate it. Does anyone know the major and
    minor numbers of anything I need to create with mknod to mount this linux on
    my RH linux host?

    Bill

  2. Re: iso image

    Bill Cunningham wrote:
    > I have an ancient linux that I want to run on a modern linux host.

    Run how? In a VM, through a VNC, networked to another machine?

    > It's
    > an old Caldera with a 2.2 kernel. I want to change the directory to an iso
    > image and mount some device to operate it. Does anyone know the major and
    > minor numbers of anything I need to create with mknod to mount this linux on
    > my RH linux host?

    How about this... Run some server (ftp, ssh, whatever) on the Caldera
    box. Connect with fuse. Mount the computer as a directory. Run a program
    like k3b to convert it to a DVD image and save it on your RH box. If it
    doesn't do what you want, at least it'll get you close.

    > Bill

    Later
    Mike

  3. Re: iso image

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux, in article
    <4702a413$0$14864$bbae4d71@news.suddenlink.net>, Bill Cunningham wrote:

    [Note: 'comp.os.linux' is a placeholder for the comp.os.linux.* news
    group hierarchy, and isn't carried on that many news servers. Try
    posting to comp.os.linux.setup.]

    >I have an ancient linux that I want to run on a modern linux host.

    You're going to have to re-phrase that statement so that people can
    understand what you are asking. 'Linux' is an operating system, not
    an application, and I suspect you really want to run some ancient
    application rather than booting the ISO into the ancient distribution.

    >It's an old Caldera with a 2.2 kernel.

    Probably Caldera 2.2 through 2.4 (from 1999/2000). They were glibc-2.1
    distributions, (similar to Red Hat 6.x where are of the same vintage),
    so you're probably going to see a lot of compatibility issues.

    >I want to change the directory to an iso image and mount some device
    >to operate it.

    11102 Aug 29 2003 Loopback-Encrypted-Filesystem-HOWTO
    26830 Apr 26 2001 Loopback-Root-FS

    Unfortunately, both of those HOWTOs were withdrawn some years ago. I
    can see them on ibiblio.org in French, Japanese, Korean, Dutch, and
    Chinese translations... and in linuxdoc (sgml) format... and there
    it is in html:

    ../docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html:
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 5466 Aug 29 2003
    Loopback-Encrypted-Filesystem-HOWTO-html.tar.gz
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 9980 Apr 26 2001
    Loopback-Root-FS-html.tar.gz

    I _think_ that's what you may need. So, use an anonymous FTP to
    ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/docs/HOW...-formats/html/ which is
    where these files were hiding ten days ago.

    >Does anyone know the major and minor numbers of anything I need to
    >create with mknod to mount this linux on my RH linux host?

    7 block Loopback devices
    0 = /dev/loop0 First loop device
    1 = /dev/loop1 Second loop device

    The loop devices are used to mount filesystems not
    associated with block devices. The binding to the
    loop devices is handled by mount(8) or losetup(8).

    This system (and four others I have immediate access to) have /dev/loop0
    through /dev/loop7 (7:0 thru 7:7) already.

    Old guy

  4. Re: iso image

    "Moe Trin" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux, in article
    > <4702a413$0$14864$bbae4d71@news.suddenlink.net>, Bill Cunningham wrote:
    >
    > [Note: 'comp.os.linux' is a placeholder for the comp.os.linux.* news
    > group hierarchy, and isn't carried on that many news servers. Try
    > posting to comp.os.linux.setup.]

    OK I use the news client with outlook express. Is there a way to see all
    these usenet groups via http? I'm just using nntp with the outlook.

    Bill

  5. Re: iso image

    "The Wizard of Oz" wrote in message
    > Bill Cunningham wrote:
    >> I have an ancient linux that I want to run on a modern linux host.

    > Run how? In a VM, through a VNC, networked to another machine?

    mknod /dev/rp0 mjr,minor

    For example. THat's an old device from the old unix days. PDP-11s I think.
    Run dd into this device and mount it.

    >> It's an old Caldera with a 2.2 kernel. I want to change the directory to
    >> an iso image and mount some device to operate it. Does anyone know the
    >> major and minor numbers of anything I need to create with mknod to mount
    >> this linux on my RH linux host?

    > How about this... Run some server (ftp, ssh, whatever) on the Caldera box.
    > Connect with fuse. Mount the computer as a directory. Run a program like
    > k3b to convert it to a DVD image and save it on your RH box. If it doesn't
    > do what you want, at least it'll get you close.
    >
    >> Bill

    > Later
    > Mike

    I used mkisofs I found on a disk and made an iso.

    Bill

  6. Re: iso image

    On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux, in article
    <47042d6e$0$14864$bbae4d71@news.suddenlink.net>, Bill Cunningham wrote:

    >"Moe Trin" wrote

    >> [Note: 'comp.os.linux' is a placeholder for the comp.os.linux.* news
    >> group hierarchy, and isn't carried on that many news servers. Try
    >> posting to comp.os.linux.setup.]

    > OK I use the news client with outlook express. Is there a way to see
    >all these usenet groups via http? I'm just using nntp with the outlook.

    HTTP != NNTP - completely different service. I can't tell you how
    to use Lookout, as I've never had any version of windoze that included
    it on my systems. Yes, there has to be a way to get the list, but I
    don't know what it might be. Perhaps the hell-desk at your ISP can
    suggest the right thing to kick.

    As far as the sanctioned list of Big Eight newsgroups, there is a post
    to the groups news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, and news.lists.misc
    on the 15th of every month with the subject "List of Big Eight
    Newsgroups". I'll save you the effort - it has just 17 Linux newsgroups:

    [compton ~]$ zgrep linux big.8.list.09.15.07.gz | cut -f1 | column
    comp.os.linux.advocacy comp.os.linux.misc
    comp.os.linux.alpha comp.os.linux.networking
    comp.os.linux.announce comp.os.linux.portable
    comp.os.linux.answers comp.os.linux.powerpc
    comp.os.linux.development.apps comp.os.linux.security
    comp.os.linux.development.system comp.os.linux.setup
    comp.os.linux.embedded comp.os.linux.x
    comp.os.linux.hardware comp.os.linux.xbox
    comp.os.linux.m68k
    [compton ~]$

    All news servers should carry those (c.o.l.announce and c.o.l.answers
    are moderated, the rest available to anyone). The Big Eight list has
    a total of 2275 newsgroups. In addition, nearly all news servers carry
    a lot more groups - the server I use has well over a hundred thousand
    groups - which includes over 1100 with the word 'linux' in the name,
    including

    [compton ~]$ grep caldera .newsrc
    alt.fr.os.caldera
    alt.os.linux.caldera
    [compton ~]$

    which are probably completely dead given that Caldera was withdrawn as
    a distribution in May 2003. But, one never knows until you look ;-)

    Old guy

  7. Re: iso image

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux, in article
    > <47042d6e$0$14864$bbae4d71@news.suddenlink.net>, Bill Cunningham wrote:
    >
    >> "Moe Trin" wrote

    >>> [Note: 'comp.os.linux' is a placeholder for the comp.os.linux.* news
    >>> group hierarchy, and isn't carried on that many news servers. Try
    >>> posting to comp.os.linux.setup.]

    >> OK I use the news client with outlook express. Is there a way to see
    >> all these usenet groups via http? I'm just using nntp with the outlook.

    > HTTP != NNTP - completely different service. I can't tell you how
    > to use Lookout, as I've never had any version of windoze that included
    > it on my systems. Yes, there has to be a way to get the list, but I
    > don't know what it might be. Perhaps the hell-desk at your ISP can
    > suggest the right thing to kick.

    There are some servers such as Deja News, Google, and Webusenet.com(?)
    which offer a web interface to the newsgroups. There appear to be some
    problems with each. Google for example doesn't display the date and we
    frequently see flames from people whining about posts from six months to
    a year earlier.

    About Outlook and Outlook Express, the American Department of Homeland
    Security advocate using anything else but those programs.

    Later
    Mike

  8. Re: iso image

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux, in article
    , The Wizard of Oz wrote:

    > There are some servers such as Deja News, Google, and Webusenet.com(?)
    >which offer a web interface to the newsgroups.

    deja disappeared in 2001 - the news archives were absorbed into the
    current google archive. However the O/P is posting from a regular
    news server (news.suddenlink.net), not one of the web interfaces.

    >There appear to be some problems with each. Google for example doesn't
    >display the date and we frequently see flames from people whining about
    >posts from six months to a year earlier.

    Google also intentionally ignores all abuse reports, allowing spammers
    full access without charge. Because of this abuse, a lot of people are
    now filtering out all posts that originate through google (trivial
    step of blocking all posts with a Message-ID: header ending in
    'googlegroups.com'). At the moment, I'm only killfiling such posts in
    six of the 84 Usenet groups I try to at least scan daily.

    Google is also being used by people whose ISP doesn't bother providing
    a Usenet feed - either as a cost cutting measure, or because the admins
    are to brane-ded to be using a computer and can't figure out how to set
    up such a server. I think it telling that Chinese ISPs like 163.net are
    providing what appears to be a full Big-Eight feed as well as a number
    of alternative groups (seeing posts via those servers in several of the
    alt.os.linux.* groups I scan) - possibly a recognition of the problems
    with google groups postings.

    > About Outlook and Outlook Express, the American Department of Homeland
    >Security advocate using anything else but those programs.

    Do you have a cite for that? Many of the actions of the DHS are useless
    window dressing unrelated to facts - to give the illusion of doing
    something. On the other hand, CERT has been warning about using those
    browsers since the 1990s. Unfortunately, most people use a browser
    because it's the only piece of software they've tried.

    Old guy

  9. Re: iso image

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux, in article
    > , The Wizard of Oz wrote:
    >
    >> There are some servers such as Deja News, Google, and Webusenet.com(?)
    >> which offer a web interface to the newsgroups.

    > deja disappeared in 2001 - the news archives were absorbed into the
    > current google archive. However the O/P is posting from a regular
    > news server (news.suddenlink.net), not one of the web interfaces.

    I did not know that. I thought it was still around.

    >> There appear to be some problems with each. Google for example doesn't
    >> display the date and we frequently see flames from people whining about
    >> posts from six months to a year earlier.

    > Google also intentionally ignores all abuse reports, allowing spammers
    > full access without charge. Because of this abuse, a lot of people are
    > now filtering out all posts that originate through google (trivial
    > step of blocking all posts with a Message-ID: header ending in
    > 'googlegroups.com'). At the moment, I'm only killfiling such posts in
    > six of the 84 Usenet groups I try to at least scan daily.

    I suppose it is a bit of a trade-off. Generally I'm not interested in
    what people posting from Google have to say. Unfortunately, as you point
    out, a lot of ISPs are getting rid of their nntp servers and some people
    have no choice.

    > Google is also being used by people whose ISP doesn't bother providing
    > a Usenet feed - either as a cost cutting measure, or because the admins
    > are to brane-ded to be using a computer and can't figure out how to set
    > up such a server. I think it telling that Chinese ISPs like 163.net are
    > providing what appears to be a full Big-Eight feed as well as a number
    > of alternative groups (seeing posts via those servers in several of the
    > alt.os.linux.* groups I scan) - possibly a recognition of the problems
    > with google groups postings.

    I wonder if Google has an actual nntp server... It might be interesting
    to see if it could interface with a program like pan or BNR2.

    >> About Outlook and Outlook Express, the American Department of Homeland
    >> Security advocate using anything else but those programs.

    > Do you have a cite for that? Many of the actions of the DHS are useless
    > window dressing unrelated to facts - to give the illusion of doing
    > something. On the other hand, CERT has been warning about using those
    > browsers since the 1990s. Unfortunately, most people use a browser
    > because it's the only piece of software they've tried.

    I should have the link somewhere. I've been collecting them over the
    years. I'll go through the list then copy and paste everything which
    looks like it might have the info. It's likely a few years old by now.
    I'll let you go through the (partial) list.

    > Old guy

    IE unsafe
    http://browsehappy.com/

    Why Windows is a Security Nightmare
    http://www.techuser.net/index.php?id=47

    Hope it's one of those two. If it's not here then I've lost the link
    and you can probably find it on Slashdot. It looks like the rest refer
    to viruses, DRM, and various hacks.

    Later
    Mike

  10. Re: iso image

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux, in article
    , The Wizard of Oz wrote:

    >Moe Trin wrote:

    >> deja disappeared in 2001 - the news archives were absorbed into the
    >> current google archive.

    > I did not know that. I thought it was still around.

    I haven't seen any such posts in years - as I recall they declared
    bankruptcy in 2000 give or take. The domain registration still exists
    (whois.markmonitor.com), but both deja.com and dejanews.com are owned
    by google, and 'www.dejanews.com' is a CNAME for groups.google.com.

    >> At the moment, I'm only killfiling such posts in six of the 84
    >> Usenet groups I try to at least scan daily.

    > I suppose it is a bit of a trade-off. Generally I'm not interested in
    >what people posting from Google have to say. Unfortunately, as you point
    >out, a lot of ISPs are getting rid of their nntp servers and some people
    >have no choice.

    Ah, but they do have a choice - a LARGE one. There are a number of
    news servers that provide free access - some require registration,
    some don't. There are also a large number of "low cost" news servers
    with anything from a one-time registration fee on up through a monthly
    fee. These tend to have much less abuse, and are less likely to be
    killfiled than some of the free or anonymizing servers. Yes, there are
    people who can't afford even ten Euro a year, but that doesn't lock
    them out of reading/posting. There are even Usenet newsgroups that
    discuss these services, and rate the various alternatives.

    > I wonder if Google has an actual nntp server... It might be
    >interesting to see if it could interface with a program like pan or
    >BNR2.

    [selene ~]$ find /var/spool/slrnpull/news -type f -exec grep Path: {} \;
    | tr '!' '\n' | sort -u | grep google | grep -E "(news|nntp)"
    news1.google.com
    news2.google.com
    news3.google.com
    news4.google.com
    postnews.google.com
    [selene ~]$

    I'd rather doubt that you'd be allowed to connect - and a quick check
    with the DNS servers at two ISPs and at google doesn't resolve those
    five hosts, which doesn't surprise me in the least. Larger companies
    with major network presence often have their own news servers, but
    they tend to be filtered/firewalled such that only "internal" access
    by employees is allowed. With ours, you can't even post from it,
    which is why I'm using a dial-up from the computers in the break area.

    >>> About Outlook and Outlook Express, the American Department of
    >>> Homeland Security advocate using anything else but those programs.

    >> Do you have a cite for that?

    > I should have the link somewhere. I've been collecting them over the
    >years. I'll go through the list then copy and paste everything which
    >looks like it might have the info. It's likely a few years old by now.
    >I'll let you go through the (partial) list.

    I was hoping to find the DHS press release or equal. The majority of
    the pronouncements I've seen are dubious at best.

    >http://browsehappy.com/

    The Inquirer, US Government warns against Internet Explorer:

    The US Government has sent out a warning out to internet users
    through its Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT), pleading
    users to stop using Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

    That's a substantial embellishment of the CERT bulletins - but CERT is
    not in any way a part of DHS.

    >http://www.techuser.net/index.php?id=47

    Nothing obvious.

    > Hope it's one of those two. If it's not here then I've lost the link
    >and you can probably find it on Slashdot. It looks like the rest refer
    >to viruses, DRM, and various hacks.

    A search for DHS and IE or Outlook just turns up noise. Lots of it.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread